Broken Promises

Home Is In Your Eyes

Heeyoung was at the library with L.Joe after class, doing some tasks when one of their classmates approached them. "Mr. Kim wants to meet you now," the girl told Heeyoung coldly.

Heeyoung nodded. "Thanks, Soojin." She glanced at L.Joe, giving signs that she's leaving.

The girl named Soojin didn't respond on Heeyoung's words. Instead, she flashed a smile on L.Joe which didn't get noticed.

Mr. Kim wasn't there by himself when Heeyoung arrived at his office. To her surprise, Minsoo was sitting before him.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Kim. Soojin said you wanted to meet me." Heeyoung bowed.

"Have a seat please." She then took a seat beside Minsoo. "You know you got the highest grade on social studies, don't you?" she nodded. "It would be great if you share your knowledge and cleverness to the ones who need help."

Heeyoung frowned. "Of course that's great, but sorry I didn't get what you mean."

"What I mean was, I want you to help Minsoo with his grades."

"What?!" Minsoo and Heeyoung asked in unison. "Sorry, but you want me to help who?" she asked Mr. Kim again, completely forgetting all the manners.

"I want you to help Minsoo. Is that clear enough now? I'm giving Minsoo a project. But I don't think Minsoo would get enough grades if he's doing it by himself. That's why I need your help to improve his grades. You're gonna be helping him on his project," he explained.

"Sorry Sir, are you underestimating me?" it's Minsoo protesting. But he's not the only one protesting.

"I'm not, I'm just being realistic," answered the teacher coldly.

Heeyoung sighed, "I don't think it's gonna work out, Sir. And it's not my responsible either. It's his. Not mine. I really can't do this."

"You're the one saying it would be great to help others." His quip got her. Damn, he trapped me. Heeyoung cursed.

"I don't care what project and tasks you're giving me to improve my grades but please just let me do it on my own." Minsoo begged.

Mr. Kim let out a small chuckle. "Bang Minsoo, I don't mean to underestimate you, but I've known you for years." Minsoo sighed, his head was hanging low. Meanwhile, Heeyoung was trying hard to settle down her annoyance. "So, this is the project I want you guys to do." Mr. Kim handed out a stack of paper. "It requires you to do some survey."

The two were just staring blankly at him. "And I give you 2 weeks to have them done." The two remained unmoved. "Ya! Minsoo! You should be grateful that I gave you another chance!" he snarled. "And you, Heeyoung. You better do great on this. I'll give you extra points. If you didn't, I won't trust you anymore." Threatened him. "Now you both are dismissed." The two sighed and gave him a bow before leaving.

"Follow me," ordered Heeyoung, thinking Minsoo would be annoyed but he seemed way too down to be annoyed. They later arrived at the library. "Wait here," she told Minsoo before running off inside to get her things she left with L.Joe.

L.Joe raised his head up to see Heeyoung coming. "L.Joe-ya, I'm sorry. I have to go first now. I'll tell you what happened soon," she whispered in a rush while packing up her things. He knew that something wasn't right. He just nodded. "Bye. See you," she whispered again. L.Joe nodded again and back on his works.

Minsoo was leaning on the wall with his eyes close. Sleepy Minsoo. Heeyoung hissed. "Come on." She woke him up and led the way again. He followed in silence.

They ended up in an empty classroom. "Hand me the paper," Heeyoung ordered him mercilessly. He gave them without words, still.

She flipped through the paper seriously while Minsoo was staring at the board blankly when he finally said something. "Why don't we just do it at the library?" asked him, still staring blankly at the board.

Heeyoung paused, she glanced a bit at him. "You really like to make people annoyed, don't you? Or you haven't ever been to the library? We're discussing. We're gonna get kicked out if we did."

After having a look and taking some notes on the paper for an hour, Heeyoung divided the works with Minsoo whom hadn't been doing another thing than staring blankly at the board. He didn't take his sight off the board even when Heeyoung was talking to him.

"Are you doing this or not?" asked Heeyoung, clearly annoyed. Minsoo stole a glance at her. Heeyoung took a deep breath. "Look, I don't care how much we hate each other. But I'm just trying to be professional here. I was given the mandate and I'm doing it now. You should stop acting like a jerk and be professional too. You're the one who need the grades, not me."

Minsoo clicked his tongue. "Big head." Then he felt a stinging pain on his cheek. Heeyoung just slapped him. She grabbed her bag and got up right away. Minsoo wasn't expecting the respond he'd get. "Ya!" he tried to stop her but it didn't work. He ran after her and grabbed her arm to turn her body before she could even step outside. "I'm sor-" he stopped when he saw Heeyoung's face. He remembered those burning eyes. He saw them before. But not the tears.

 "What now? What do you want?!" she yelled her shaky voice at his face.

Guilty feelings wrapped Minsoo up as he looked at her eyes deeply. "I-I'm sorry. I was just joking. I-I didn't mean it," he stuttered.

Minsoo stumbled forward as she pushed him. "Whatever! How could you easily hurt other's heart and innocently said you're sorry and you're just joking?!"

Heeyoung's words hit Minsoo. He really felt guilty seeing Heeyoung showing her real feelings, her real self. "Look. I'm-"

Minsoo's words were being cut off by the sound of the door banging open. They turned their head to the door. "Oh my God, kids today. God bless them. You kids are supposed to study! Not dating in an empty room like this! What have you been doing here all alone, huh? Aish, the school really has to get CCTVs installed so I don't have to catch you guys up like this everyday!" it's the grumpy school keeper. "Wait, why is she crying? What have you done to her? Are you both fighting? Love has its hard times, don't worry, it will work out," he continued talking nonsense. The two just stared at him.

Heeyoung pulled his arm from Minsoo's grip and ran off the classroom, still crying. Minsoo freezed. "If I were you, I would run after her. Go get your girlfriend," told the school keeper. Minsoo glanced at him before running back to the desk, grabbing his bag and the papers, then he ran through the deserted hallway to chase Heeyoung.

Heeyoung couldn't think of another else than running away as fast as she could. She could hear Minsoo was chasing after her in the empty hallway later. But she was faster. Too bad it was raining outside. Her tears wasn't visible anymore since she was all drenched head to toe when she arrived at the subway station. She couldn't stop crying. She was just extremely mad at Minsoo.

"Damn it!" Minsoo cursed himself for not being able to chase Heeyoung. She had gone. She's nowhere to be seen. She had already blended into the crowd. He ruffled his hair in frustation. He went home with the greatest regret he ever had. He was thinking if he dared enough to meet Heeyoung on the next day.

Ungrateful jerk. It was already 7pm by the time she arrived home. To her surprise, her mom was unexpectedly home earlier than usual.

"Where have you been?" asked her mom, without any intention to argue with her.

Her mom's question made her remember about what just happened again. "School. The teacher made me have an extra task," she explained shortly before her mom asked further. Her relationship with her mom was quite better than before. Although they still didn't exchange greetings, they still answered each other's necessary questions.

"Extra task? Did you do bad?" her mom was trying to sound caring.

Heeyoung shook her head. "No. I did great instead. But the teacher wants me to help the student with the worst grade." She was avoiding her mom's gaze.

Her mom started to be suspicious on her gestures. "Did you cry?" she held Heeyoung's chin up gently. "What's wrong?"

Heeyoung sighed. She was too tired of what just happened to her. "I'm sorry, Mom. I know you want to be more caring about me, but I just can't answer it now." Her mom couldn't hide her disappointment. "It's okay, Mom. It's not as bad as you think. I'm okay. I'm just tired."

"Okay then. I know you're still mad at me, I'm sorry. But I just want to take care of you more."

Heeyoung stopped halfway, turned again to face her mom. "You should be."

******

Heeyoung couldn't fall asleep no matter how tired she was. Her puffy eyes made her feel worse. She checked her phone, finding an unread message.

Hi! How was your day? Hope it was great~

Changjo. She sighed. Changjo's texts and calls usually gave her butterflies in her stomach. It's weird that she couldn't feel anything. She let her emotions out too much, leaving her in the dullness. Not bad, how was yours? :) she replied his text, faking all its contents.

Her phone vibrated in a flash sec. Great! By the way, do you want to go out with me this weekend? ^^

It's been two weeks since that sudden date with him. If he asked her few days ago, she must have said yes. She's just not at her right mind. Moreover, the two weeks deadline from Mr. Kim had been burdening her. Plus, the situation between her and Minsoo made her more worried if they could get it done before the deadline. I don't know yet. I want to, but I don't think I could. I have a project to get done in 2 weeks :(

Ah... It's okay then, maybe we could go out later :) Just tell me if you need some help with your project, it would be my pleasure to help you with anything.

She couldn't help to smile at Changjo's text. He's unstoppable. Thanks for the offer. Good night!

The fast texter replied again. Good night~ Have a nice dream!

Heeyoung imagined him saying that with his voice. She smiled to herself and fell asleep right after.

******

L.Joe had been waiting for Heeyoung's text as she had promised him before. It's already midnight. He's still up staring over his phone.

"She must be busy talking with that Changjo," he scoffed. He hated himself for overthinking. He’d been making a gap between him and Heeyoung, hoping that Heeyoung would be sensitive enough to notice it and asked him why, but she didn't. He was wrong. However, he had been jealous with Changjo. L.Joe met her first. How come she fell for someone whom she met for only one day? When he decided to greet Heeyoung, he didn't think he would fall for her way too deep. He worried that Heeyoung only took him as a bestfriend. He hadn't confess his feel yet, though.

I still have hopes, he convinced his mind. Or maybe not, he thought again as he realized that he'd been waiting for her non-existed texts. "Promises are made to be broken. Deal with it, L.Joe," he told himself again before decided to go to sleep.