03.

Home Is In Your Eyes

My family was starting to get worried by my changes. I had never been that kind of talkative boy though, but I talked less and less. I told them that I'm fine over and over again. As expected, they soon were fed enough by my actions.

The rejection had really got me. She said she loves me, but yet she rejected me. I had no idea how I should act in front of her anymore. She had fallen with one of those boys, I bet.

I was late, I know.

Ricky had been acting weird that whole week. He seemed hesitating to get close to me, while usually we sticked together like everytime. Probably it's because my changes since I didn't talk much to him either. I spent my day daydreaming. I was completely losing my will to live. I never knew that heartbreak hurt that bad. I was even getting scolded by the teachers a few times for not paying attention during classes. But I just couldn't help it.

Later, Ricky finally found out that I had confessed to her. Of course, undoubtedly, he knew that I had been hiding something from him. He bombarded me with nonsense questions I couldn't even answer since I had been asking those to myself too and the result was naught. "If she's meant to be yours, she'll be yours." That's what Ricky told me that time. I scoffed at his lame words. But then it did happen, it came true. His words ate me alive with all the stupid scoffs inside me. She's mine now. Funny, right?

I kept underestimating Heeyoung's words, her love for me, on some reasons. And evidence.

I saw her kissing with a guy. It was Minsoo, Ricky told me. I was clueless that time. And yeah, it's Minsoo since I got to know him later. He's her partner for the project, Ricky leaked another info. But kissing each other on the lips is totally unnecessary on anything you do on a project, right? Well, yeah. Unless it's a drama project which has a kissing scene in the scenario. I'll acknowledge it.

Got rejected? I could bear it still. But knowing that she's being owned by other guy than me? I felt.... I don't know how else I should express it.

No matter how Ricky and Chunji hyung cheered me up, it didn't change anything. It didn't change the fact. By me cheering up a bit, it couldn't make Heeyoung and Minsoo broke up right away. I knew, quite well, that I should wake up and go on with my own life. But she has been a part of me, in my mind. Her figure stays in my own projection. And there she's been all the time.

I was trying to reduce the frequences of me thinking about her. When I just made some progress with it, fate wanted me to greet her again. Bye, progress.

I was at Lee brothers' place, waiting for Ricky the culprit who made me wait for him since he had an extra lesson that day. Expecting to have some fun with Chunji, my mood turned down knowing that he's having a nap. I lay myself on the couch, attempting to pay my lack of sleep. I was half asleep when I heard the bell rang. Cursing, I got up and dragged my soulless body to the front door.

I thought it was Ricky, but I was wrong. It's my future wife standing by the door.

Both of us were flustered by other's presence. I didn't belong to Ricky's place, I know. And I didn't expect her to have a visit while I was there either.

We were soon wrapped in awkwardness, no wonder. I didn't talk more after inviting her in and telling where the culprits she'd been searching for were. Clear enough, she's trying to get the strings attached. My coldness towards her didn't stop her. I kept faking both the gestures and the contents of every responds I gave.

What made me wanted to laugh that moment was when she told me she missed me. Like I could believe it after what I had seen before. Like she would waste her time thinking about me when in fact she had someone else whom way more important than me, Choi Changjo, to think about.

We practically spent our time for the rest of that day together, with Lee brothers alongside. Well, a bit of happiness sparked inside me. But it didn't last long. Later that night, Ricky stormy called me, reporting a fact which we had actually known. She's dating Minsoo. Of course I knew it. Unfortunately, I had been denying that possibility before, and then I got to hear the truth. She's dating Minsoo.

She doesn't love you, Changjo. She just told you that to make you feel slightly better.

Later that month, Ricky asked me to come to Heeyoung's surprise party. I scoffed, again. Like my presence was even necessary there. Ricky kept asking me if I would come, he told me that it was Heeyoung's mom herself whom invited me. Why me? I didn't have any idea why. Bothered by Ricky, then I just told him that I would come, just to shut him up.

Ricky told me to come around 5pm, but I didn't move from my bed. As expected, he bombarded me 15 minutes later. Any kinds of threats he launched, everything to make me come. Why should I? Wouldn't it just make me hurt more there to meet her? But then I found myself walking down the hallway in front of her place. It's a surprise party right? I was looking forward on how she would react to see me there.

I knew I was late. Heeyoung had arrived, Ricky told me. Whatever, I had made it to her place. So I decided to keep going. I pushed the bell, expecting Chunji or Ricky to open the door. But hell, it was Minsoo. Every pair of eyes stared at me as I appeared. Her mom saved me that time by being thankful of presence.

I took a chance to get to her when everybody's busy on their own. "Happy birthday." I had no idea what else to say. After all it's her birthday, right? Not to forget, I added a fake smile on my face, just to make it polite since my face has got that harsh contour.

"Thanks.. Thanks for coming here too," she smiled back at me. I doubted whether it's a real one or just the same as me, faked one. "Steamed buns," she added. I reflexively chuckled. Being honest, I missed that stupid nickname. Only when she called me that. "I'll let you to call me that for today. Only today," I said, ruffling her sweet-scented hair I'd been missing too.

I didn't meet her again for weeks after that party. The next time I met her, she collapsed in my arms. I noticed her slender figure was different. It was thinner compared to the last time I saw her. Her white skin had never been that pale. She's like a dead man walking. I had noticed something was off when Ricky's questions on her were being ignored. She wasn't there. Her dull gaze was staring somewhere inexact while her mind was wondering far away only she knew.

Turned out it's because of Minsoo. No wonder why he's so damn panic when I told him that she's hospitalized. On the next day, she told me that she had broken up with Minsoo few weeks before. I should have been happy, right? But how could I be happy to see her lying lifelessly in pain?

On our way home, Chunji, Ricky, and I were talking about Heeyoung and Minsoo. I innocently asked them whether I still had the chance to get her. I didn't understand why they seemed so shocked by my question. I was just wondering though. How if Ricky's words are true? How if she's really meant for me?

And she is. ㅋㅋ

Chunji called me when I was having my dance practice that weekend. My heart stopped dead when Chunji said Heeyoung missed me. I could hear her voice vaguely shouting at Chunji on the line across. Pretending to be mad, eh? My confidence was being at the top of the top of the top. I didn't care whether she missed me for real or not, I promised I'd be coming later. My heart wasn't functioning properly during the call. It pumped too much blood that I could feel my body heated up.

The next day, I was literally having a date with Heeyoung, in her room. I purposely brought her some cakes from the restaurant we went to back then, the one where I got rejected. Okay, I don't have to remind myself about that though. What's done is done. I sang her lullaby, would you believe that? You got to believe that. Making sure that she had fallen a sleep, I stole a kiss on her forehead before I left, wishing it could bring her to the sweet land of nice dreams.

I spent the week after it by helping her with the lessons. I know I wasn't as smart as Ricky, but I dared myself just to have some private times with her. I had promised I'd pick her up from school before. Expecting to see her right away, I met Minsoo instead. He must have known that I have those feelings on Heeyoung, no doubt. He awkwardly greeted me since our gazes had already met. I bet he wouldn't.

"Changjo-ssi, take care of her." That's what he told me before he walked away after getting a nod from me. Without him asking me to, I would do so until my last breath. Just so you know, jerk. His gaze bothered me, really.

I couldn't sleep during the rest of weekdays. I'd been preparing something for the weekend. Something that could be either the new start of my life or maybe the end of me. I was preparing myself, my mental, for the second attempt. I was going to confess to her for the second time.

I went to her place on Saturday morning. Her mom told me to go to Heeyoung's room right away, just to find her sleeping soundly in her bed still. If only I could lie myself beside her and cuddle with her all day, I would've done it.

I did everything I could to wake her up. I called her name, I shook her body, but she scolded me instead. She jerked up right away when I told her it had been 30 minutes from our appointment time. She begged me sorry as she hugged me in a flash before tucking herself back into her blanket. If I don't love her probably I'd have used violence. The maximum violence I used was smacking her with a pillow. Does it even count as violent?

We quarrelled for a while since her stubbornness not to get up started getting on my nerves. I decided to make a bold move. I lay myself beside her outside the blanket and hugged her as tight as I could. I was smiling in satisfaction all along. She couldn't see me, that's the point. She grunted inside the blanket, but I locked her in my hug still.

After she finally woke up, we soon got into another quarrel. She was down on her knees begging me for us to hang out right away without studying first as what we had planned before. I insisted not to go easy, trying hard to resist her puppy eyes. I was one step away from winning, then she didn't want to get up from kneeling, threatening me to say yes. She kissed me on the cheek. I had no idea why she did that. I was pretending to act cool when actually I was frozen head to toe.

Then the moment had come. I stopped her on our way back to her place from the date we had had. I started my mission, fingers crossed to have it go well, wishing not to abort it all of a sudden anytime soon.

But unfortunately, it didn't go well like I had wished for.

I spluttered all of my thoughts to her until I had no idea which one I should tell her over again. I did all my best to have her for real. More than friends. More than just a brother-sister relationship. More than whatever she had been taking me as.

And she asked me to give her a week to decide.

One ing whole week.

I already lost my hope as she told me that. I already prepared for the worst.

One ing whole week.

I had no idea if I could survive those hell days. I had no idea if actually I'd be just waiting in vain.

I started the hell-like week by helping her with the lessons again. The atmosphere was undoubtedly awkward, but I tried to act normal and be professional on it. I didn't tell Ricky that I had confessed for the second time. I kept it all to myself. Again, he was being suspicious on me. But I managed to hide it from him that time. I told him that I was kind of worn out, I stupidly told him that. I didn't even do anything hard that week. Fortunately he just acknowledged it without questioning more. Well, I wasn't sure what's on his mind though, but whatever.

It was then the 6th day already. D-1 to the due date.

And she hadn't told me anything. Not even arranging an appointment or something.

And I undoubtedly started losing more hopes.

I was lazily watching TV when I heard the bell rang. I thought noona forgot something and went back home to take it. To my surprise, it was actually Heeyoung, standing anxiously. It was a major surprise to me. She had never been to my place before. And there she was, standing in front of my door.

Later I realized why she's there. It's the day.

I spluttered again, talking nonsense since I was still in shock by her presence. She cut my words off by a kiss. On my lips.

Heaven knows I would stuck in awe. I believe my eyes were sparkling that moment.

That's all before I realized that she hadn't say anything. My mind went blunt as I thought about every possibilities that could happen.

The worst, it could be a goodbye kiss.

Man, I really hate recalling those moments.

We went inside my place, it was just the two of us since my family was going out of town. Although I sat still in silence, myself couldn't stay still inside. I had no idea how dull my gaze was. There's no piece of me, even the littlest, which dared to look at her in the eyes. I'm going to lose her again, I thought.

My heart stopped beating instead of beating faster. Felt like I lost the war when I hadn't even stepped into it. Heeyoung's words were killing me softly. Everytime she paused talking, slowly but surely pieces of my soul flown away, leaving my body soulless. Her words made it like it's almost sure that she was going to reject me again anytime soon. And no matter how well I prepared myself for it, still, I wouldn't big heartedly accept it right away.

I stayed silent all along, not even budging in her hugs. I swallowed away my bitterness and anxiousity while anticipating those killer words to come out from again. I was soon getting agitated by her for not being straight at the point. I was about to speak up my annoyance, my pain for waiting and being hung up for the whole week, when she suddenly, well, finally, stated that I'm hers. Really, I don't know how I would have exploded if she didn't declare it in the end.

My soul was completely gone. It seemed like there's no difference between being accepted and being rejected, but I did feel like my soul has flown far far away. I stared at her in disbelief. The angel before me was showing her beautiful smile, nodding surely at me.

I felt like crying in happiness while on the other side I really wanted to curse her for tricking me. She just laughed when I sulked on it. I had been expecting for the worst all along, even I was positive that I would meet hell for the second time. Knowing she accepted me in the end, it felt weird. Her smiles, hugs, and kisses gave me goosebumps.

She's mine. Forever. I'm gonna make it legal anytime soon.

We spent the rest of that day in my place, being a couple for real. More than friends, more than best friends, like I had asked her for on the week before. Having her in my arms was such the biggest accomplishment I had that time. She's mine. Park Heeyoung is mine.

It's better in time, indeed.

 


 

A/N:

Hello guys! I'm sorry for the delay, I haven't got the time to write. Changjo's POV is only one chap left, I hope the real extension can be started soon.

The subs has been decreasing lately :-( I'm sorry, guys. And I haven't seen your comments either! (I know it's actually kind of the same with the Heeyoung's POV, but still I want to know your thoughts about Changjo kekeke lots of demands you authornim) If you're disappointed please tell me! Dx