Chapter 4: RIVALS OR NOT...

So Into You

 

Chapter 4: RIVALS OR NOT...

The lesson before Lunch was English and you were obviously looking forward to it seeing how you had more advantage compared to the rest of your classmates. Your English teacher Mr Simon was a very friendly teacher who welcomed you to the class warmly. The lesson began with him outlining the objectives of today's lesson.

"Alright then, I want all of you to seat in groups of four," Mr Simon walked around the classroom and made some of the students turn their tables and chairs around so that they will face the people behind them, "Today I will be teaching you how to speak simple English to foreigners."

At the mention of foreigners, the entire class turned their heads towards your group, "Yes they are the foreigners of the class but that's not the point."

"What I want all of you to do now is to choose amongst yourselves who will be the foreigner and who will be the Korean. There will be two of each on a group. After 15 minutes, we will swap roles."

"So, who shall be the foreigners?" asked the boy in front of Lay.

"She's definitely one of them," Lay simply pointed to you. 

Before you could say anything, the boys decided that you'll be the foreigner.

"Who's the other one?" You asked them.

The three pondered for a while before Lay and the same boy pointed to the one in front of you, "Why me?"

"Because your Korean is still not fluent," the two joked, "Cheer up Tao! It's not like we won't be one right?"

The lesson continued on and the entire class was filled with awkward and broken English. You and Tao were asked to act as a lost tourists asking for direction from the other two.

You started speaking in perfect English and the other three boys gaped at you, "What? Did I say something wrong?"

At that moment, Mr Simon stopped by their group, "This is the perfect example of how most of you would usually react when an English speaking person starts a conversation with you."

The rest of the class started laughing and all you wanted to do was to dig a hole and hide in it although you weren't the one they were laughing at.

"Alright, alright.  Since most of you are still clueless on what you're supposed to do, why don't we invite Yuri and our top student, Lay to stand in front of the class and give us the perfect example?"

Lay willingly stood up and walked to the front of the classroom. You on the other hand were unwilling to do it but still you stood up as well since you didn't want to disappoint your teacher. The both of you began conversing in English. Although Lay was the top English student in class, you noticed that he was still a tad bit of awkward when he spoke to you.

"Well done!" Mr Simon applauded, “Did you receive some trainings like this in Singapore?"

You nodded when you suddenly recalled all the public speaking lessons, oral presentations and debates you had for the past 14 years of your education in Singapore.

"I guess we have a new top English student in class. I hope the both of you will help each other out and also you fellow classmates," says Mr Simon as he gestured for the both of you to return to your seats, "That's it for today's lesson. I'll see you next week. Don't forget to study for your test. You have three days including today to prepare for it."

Once Mr Simon was out of the room, the students made their way to the cafeteria for lunch while you stayed behind since you already prepared your lunch. You were busy eating when Lay, Chen and Tao returned to the classroom, "Having lunch here?"

"Yeah, you don't mind right?" You asked politely. It wasn't in your nature to ask some that kind of questions but somehow you thought that it was only right of you asked.

"So Yuri," Chen grabbed a chair and placed it beside you, "How is your first day?"

You swallowed your fried rice before you answered him, "Good I guess."

"Did you know that you're Lay's first rival in this school?" Tao asked enthusiastically.

You shook your head vigorously and turned your head towards Lay who was beside you, reading a book.

It seems like he wasn't really interested in the conversation.

"I heard from Kris that you're a straight ‘A’ student," says Lay without looking away from the book, "But I'm sure there's something you're not good at right?

*The nerve of this guy! Why is he so cocky?*

"See, didn't I tell you she's not as perfect as you guys imagined?" You realised that he was speaking in perfect Mandarin.

You rolled your eyes at his ignorance, "My Mandarin might not be as good as yours but I can still manage an A."

The other two boys fidgeted in their seats since it was the first time ever they encountered someone or better still a girl, who dared to talk to Lay like that.

"I see you speak perfect Mandarin as well," Lay placed his book down and stared straight at you, "I'm looking forward to a healthy competition with you. That is if you're willing to take it on."

"Bring it on," you gritted your teeth.

"Hyungs!" Tao shouted but you and Lay were busy shooting daggers at each other, to notice that there were three others in the room now.

"What's with them?" Luhan, the baby faced guy asked.

"Apparently our dear Yi Xing found a worthy rival," Chen shrugged.

"This will be interesting. Don't you think so Yuri?" Kris' comments made Yuri break the staring competition.

"KRIS!"


AUTHOR'S NOTE

>> Rivalry with Lay? HEHEHE