Home sweet home?

Do you remember?

Jae awoke and found the bed empty, and she glanced around the room in search of Daehyun. Maybe she had imagined it. Or maybe Daehyun left as soon as she fell asleep. She sighed and walked to the bathroom and brushed her teeth. Afterwards, she walked downstairs and glanced around the area.

"Daehyun?" She called for him, but eerie silence greeted her. She walked into the living room and kitchen, but she didn't see him anywhere. Did he really just leave her? She sighed, suddenly feeling alone. She didn't want to be alone in her old home, especially since her parents weren't here with her anymore.

My wish for my birthday didn't come true... Mom and dad wouldn't always be with me. And now, they weren't.

Jae had only just woken up, and already, she felt like crying again. And she felt another headache coming. She placed her hand on the wall for support as she felt her knees wobble, and she was already starting to sweat. Slowly, another image came into focus.

 

8 year old Jae came running into the house, her face damp with tears, and she hugged her father's legs and sobbed. Her father unhooked her arms and knelt down to her level, giving her a concerned look.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" He asked, wiping her tears away with his finger. She sobbed and held out her hands.

"Daddy, Lucky died! He's not breathing!" She sobbed, and her father noticed the tiny white hamster in her hands. It was limp, and it definitely wasn't breathing. Her father gave her a sad look and took the hamster from her hands.

"Sweetie, I'm afraid that there's nothing we can do. Lucky has passed away, so we have to bury him." He said, but Jae shook her head.

"But he won't like that!"

"Sweetie, there's nothing we can do." Her father led her to the backyard and he dug a small hole for the hamster. He then wrapped it around his favorite blue blanket, and gently laid it in the hole. He then began to place the dirt over it, and Jae sobbed. She picked up several flowers in the yard and laid them on top of the burial.

"Saranghae Lucky."

 

Jae blinked several times, finally focusing on reality again. Another memory came back, and this time, by itself. Her pet hamster had died, and her father had buried it for her. She sighed, wincing as her head continued throbbing. Daehyun stumbled into the house, his hands holding about 5 groceries, and he kicked the door shut with his foot. Jae looked up and smiled. She found herself running and jumping into his arms. "Daehyun!"

Daehyun was shocked, and he ended up stumbling backwards and falling on his back, with Jae landing on top of him. The bags fell from his arms, and some of its contents spilled out and rolled around the shining floor. Daehyun stared at Jae with surprise, but also, he was enjoying this. He remembered every time whenever he came home, she would greet him exactly like this. Jae hugged him tight and just stayed there for several moments, glad that he hadn't walked out on her.

"I thought that you left..." She said, slowly starting to get up, but Daehyun's arms held her in place. Daehyun raised a brow at her.

"Babe, I told you that I wouldn't leave you. I only left to get some food, since your cabinets were empty." He said, giving her a silly smile, but then his face turned serious. Jae froze, and she couldn't escape his gaze. With shaky hands, he brushed some of her messy hair away from her face. He wanted to kiss her, just once will do, but he couldn't. Jae didn't love him anymore. He sighed and helped her up, and she blushed and stepped away from him.

"S-sorry..." She whispered, and he shook his head and smiled at him. Jae helped him with all of the groceries, and together they stored them in the cabinets and the refrigerator. Daehyun made some pancakes and scrambled eggs, and he set Jae's plate down on the table.

"Thank you..." They ate in silence, and when she was halfway through her pancakes, she spoke again.

"I remembered another memory." Daehyun nearly choked on his pancake, and he gave her a questioning look.

"You did?! About what?" He asked, leaning in towards her. She pushed some of her pancakes around on her plate with her fork.

"My pet hamster Lucky died, and my dad created a burial for him..." She said, and Daehyun was silent. She was starting to remember sad memories that clearly didn't help her situation. And he was a bit upset that she didn't remember anything about him yet.

"I'm sorry... But I'm glad that you're starting to regain some memories finally. Looks like the Amnesia is only temporary." He said, and she silently nodded, happy that her mind was no longer a hollow, empty shell.

They ate in silence, and when they were finished, a question popped into Jae's mind.

"How do I still own this house?"

"What do you mean?" Daehyun asked as he washed the dishes and placed them in the dishwasher.

"I mean, overdue taxes for the past 4 years. Why haven't they taken this house out of our possession?" She asked, walking up to him and leaning against the counter. Daehyun sighed and gave her a small smile.

"Well, I really love this house. Your parents... I love them so much, and I don't want you to lose the only place that you can have with them... Memory-wise I mean..."

"You mean you..."

"I paid the taxes for this house. I didn't want you to lose your home either, not after you lost everything else... Besides, I was hoping that we'd spend our future together here..." Daehyun quietly said, not looking at her. Jae was silent, and she didn't know how to respond. How could Daehyun want to spend a future with her, when she can't remember anything about him?

"Daehyun... you didn't have to..."

"I did, babe." He said, catching her by surprise when he gave her cheek a warm peck. Her cheeks lit up in flames again, and she stared at the floor.

How can one man be so amazingly kind?

"I want to make this home sweet home for you. If there's anything you need, tell me." Daehyun said, wiping the counter with a clean cloth. He wanted to make sure that Jae had the only important place left, her home. He wanted everything to be perfect for her, and he wanted to make sure that she knew that he'd be here for her always, even she never loved him again.

"Even if you never love me again, I want you to be happy and to know that I'll always be here for you. I never stopped loving you, and I don't think that I'll be able to stop loving you." He said, not looking at her. He was upset and starting to feel heartbroken, and Jae didn't respond. He sighed and walked into the living room and stared out of the window at the rising sun in the distance. Jae stood there in the kitchen, lost in thought. She didn't want to keep hurting Daehyun like this, but she needed to understand her own feelings first. She took a deep breath and sighed loudly.

What should I do?