Awake

Do you remember?

Daehyun took a deep breath as he stepped into the white hospital room, his gaze landing on the girl lying in bed motionless. He quietly closed the door and slowly approached her, staring at her for several moments before he seated himself down beside her. Every time he did that, he expected her to stir, wake up, at least give him some sort of sign that she was still there. But she never moved. Her chest slowly rose up and down with each breath, and her eyes never fluttered. He sighed and gently squeezed her palm, leaning down to place a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Jae Iwa... My love, please wake up," He whispered, gently kissing the palm of her hand. She never stirred, remaining perfectly still in the same position that she had been for four years now. Daehyun reached down and caressed her cheek, staring at her longingly. Oh, how he missed the beautiful smile that she would always give him whenever she woke up. 

"Daehyun," A voice quickly brought him back to reality, and Daehyun turned around to find a nurse standing by the doorway, holding a tray with a cup of coffee and a few dinner rolls. "You're here early today," The woman greeted him with a smile and set the tray down next to him. Daehyun recognized her as Nurse Joyce, one of the sweetest nurses that he had met. She was mainly in charge of Jae's care, and he couldn't be more grateful for all that she had done for Jae.

"Well I don't want to give up hope," He weakly smiled at her before glancing out the window. It was raining today, the skies nearly black with clouds, "And I don't like leaving Jae alone when it rains."

The nurse hummed in response and gave Daehyun another gentle smile, "Don't ever give up hope. We're doing everything we can," She assured him. Daehyun quietly nodded, returning his attention to the weather outside. Daehyun hated it when it rained. And he hated leaving Jae alone for a single second whenever it was raining. 

"I'll be back later to check her vitals again," Nurse Joyce kindly excused herself as she left the room, and Daehyun sighed and reached for his cup of coffee. His gaze fell on Jae again, and he froze when he noticed one of her fingers twitch. It was for a split second, however, and Daehyun continued staring at her hands. However, nearly a minute passed and nothing else had happened. 

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me again.

Daehyun shook his head and was about to take a sip of his coffee when he noticed it again. Her whole hand twitched this time. Then slowly, her eyelids began to flutter. Daehyun was frozen, unable to comprehend what was happening. But then, when she finally began to stir, he lost it. He immediately stood up, spilling his coffee all over himself, but he ignored the hot liquid and stared longingly at Jae. A flood of emotions washed over him and he felt a stray tear roll down his cheek as he watched Jae slowly open her eyes, immediately making eye contact with him.

"J-Jae?" He whispered, hoping that this was reality. Jae blinked several times and continued staring at him, and Daehyun felt his emotions explode. He leaned down and gently hugged her.

"You're awake... You're finally awake. I've missed you so much," He breathlessly whispered, choking back a sob.

Jae didn't know how to respond, she awkwardly hugged him back. Daehyun pulled away and softly smiled at her, watching as she broke eye contact with him.

"W-who are you?"

And just like that, he felt his entire world shatter.

 



 

Hello everyone!

I can't believe that it's already been years since I had wriiten and finished this story. I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone who followed me through to the end, who loved and supported me throughout this story. I love you all so much and I am so grateful! <3

Although I've taken an indefinite hiatus from writing due to my college career, I always come back to the stories that I had written. And lately, I've gotten the urge to rewrite and edit this story, as I had done with this chapter. My writing skills have improved over time and I wanted to give this story a little update. I'll be working on the chapters one by one whenever I get the chance, but I'll leave all of the other chapters open in case anybody wants to read ahead and not wait for the new updates.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the re-edits! Love you all! <3

~BAPisPerfect