Happiness

Do you remember?

Jae stared at her soaked stockings in shock, her plump lips dropping open in surprise. The boys stared at her as if she had spoken a foreign language, as if they didn't understand the meaning of the words she had said. Daehyun was the first to react however. He rushed over to her and gripped her shoulders.

"What did you say?.." He quietly said, and Jae looked up at him, panic on her face. "M-My water just broke..."

Of all places and times, her baby chose this time to want to be born. Where they were stuck in a gorgeous area but with no gas and no service. And to make things worse, it would take half an hour just to walk back to the hotel.

I'm still weeks away from my delivery date! How could this happen now?

Jae clutched her stomach and slumped down to the ground as a sharp pain crossed through her. Daehyun bent down and rubbed her back for comfort, trying his best not to freak out. While he was doing that, the boys were desperately trying to find an area with signal.

"Youngjae, you know how to deliver babies right?" Himchan asked, and Youngjae glared at him.

"What makes you think that I know how to do that? I've never even witnessed child birth before."

"Well, you're the brains in this group. You must know something." He said, and Jae groaned in pain, startling them all. Sweat began to pour out of her forehead, despite the cold winter air. Daehyun tried to help her up, but Jae was in pain, and she didn't want to get up. She took deep, heavy breaths in order to calm herself down.

"She has to be dialated at least 10 centimeters." Youngjae said, and Yong Guk groaned and walked over to the car. He jammed the key in the ignition in a desperate attempt to turn it on, but unfortunately,they were having engine trouble. They still had gas,even though it was almost empty , but he remembered how the engine began to malfunction on the way here. He slammed his fist on the dashboard of the car and turned to Himchan. 

"Himchan, come help me hotwire this car! Daehyun, get Jae in the backseat." Yong Guk ordered, and they nodded. Daehyun slowly helped Jae up and wrapped an arm around her waist, slowly leading her to the car. He slowly sat her down on the backseat, holding her tightly against him. She whimpered in pain, beads of sweat pouring down her face and neck.

"Babe, calm down. I'm here. Take deep breaths." He said, unsure of how to exactly comfort her. He may not look so worried on the outside, but inside, he was having a mental breakdown. Jae nodded at him and continued to take deep breaths as another contraction happened, causing her to cry out in pain. Daehyun couldn't stand to see her suffering like this. 

5 minutes turned into 10, then 15, but they couldn't get the car running. Jae was sweating buckets in the backseat, and tears spilled through her eyes at this immense pain. She clutched tightly onto Daehyun's hand, so hard that his hand turned white and began to hurt.

"I knew that mother went through horrible pain, but I didn't know that she meant that it was this painful." Jae said through gritted teeth, and Daehyun slightly chuckled, continuing to rub her back and whisper comforting words in her ear. Jongup and Zelo were unsure of how to help, so instead, they grabbed several clothes and wiped some of the sweat off of Jae's face and neck.

After 5 more painful minutes passed, the car roared to life, and Himchan and Yong Guk hopped inside.

"Guk, maybe you should let me drive..." Himchan began, but Yong Guk waved it off and immediately began driving back. Jongup and Zelo tensed in their seats, while Youngjae and Daehyun stared at them confused.

What's with them?

After a while, the hotel was in sight, and they were happy for several moments before Jae's pained cry shattered their moments. Yong Guk quickly stopped at a gas station before the car would shut off from no gas.

"Babe, it's alright. Calm down." Daehyun murmured, and Jae stared at him.

"How can I calm down when our son is ripping my organs open?!" She yelled, causing Daehyun to flinch and stare at her, eyes wide.

Is that really happening to her?! Is that her cause of pain?!

Daehyun began to have an anxiety attack. Tears trickled down her face, and she took short breaths. Youngjae continued wiping the sweat off her forehead, and Daehyun reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone that was ringing.

"Hello?" He breathlessly answered, holding onto Jae's hand.

"Hey bro, are you busy?" YuhJoon asked, and Daehyun glanced at Jae, who had er eyes squeezed shut and was biting her lip.

"Actually-" Jae groaned in pain as another contraction began, and the grip around his hand tightened.

"...I don't even want to know what that sound was for." Daehyun rolled his eyes.

"Hyung, shut up. Jae went into labor, and we're trying to get her to the hospital." He said, and YuhJoon gasped.

"She what?! Where are you?"

"Jeju. Listen, can I call you back later?" He said, and YuhJoon sighed and agreed. He placed several kisses on Jae's cheek, and she gave him a weak smile.

"The contraction subsided for now..." She whispered, finally loosening her death grip around his hand. He smiled at her.

"The nearest hospital is an hour away..." Himchan said, and Yong Guk silently nodded.

"Seriously Guk, you should let me drive-"

"I can get us there in 30 minutes or less." Yong Guk grinned, and before Himchan could comment, he slammed his foot down on the gas pedal, sending them flying down the road at a dangerous pace. Himchan gripped the edges of his seat, and Youngjae and Daehyun stared at him in horror.

"Yong Guk, you're going to get us killed!!" Youngjae yelled, and Yong Guk laughed. Jae was in alot of pain to notice right away.

"This is why I wanted to drive! When there's an emergency, Yong Guk turns into a maniac on the road!" Himchan shouted, staring out the window in horror. Yong Guk laughed as he passed several cars, and pressed even harder on the gas pedal, sending them speeding down the road at over 80 mph. If the cops were to ever notice, then it would further delay the trip to the hospital.

"Out of the way Earthlings!" Yong Guk chuckled as he leaned forward and glued his eyes to the road. Jae know understood why everyone gets so scared of Yong Guk. He looks scary, but he's actually funny and nice. But under certain circumstances, that's when Yong Guk is replaced by a maniac.

"Slow down!!" Zelo held onto Jongup tightly, whose face was white as snow. Yong Guk only laughed in response.

In 20 minutes or so, they pulled up at the hospital. Everyone's faces was white, and they stumbled out of the car. Yong Guk proudly walked around and faced the boys.

"I told you we'd get here in time." He grinned, recieving glares from everyone. They would have a massive showdown with their elder, but Jae's cry of pain told them to wait otherwise. Daehyun and Youngjae helped Jae walk into the hospital while Zelo and Jongup called for some nurses to come and help her.

****

Daehyun gripped his coffee cup tightly in his hands as he stared at Jae, who was in deep pain. They had been in the hospital for about 6 hours now, and Jae still wasn't fully dialated. Everytime a contraction began, her cries of pain shattered Daehyun's heart. It hurt him to see her suffering like this, and that he wasn't able to help her in any way except for breathing methods. He sipped down some of his coffee and sighed, reaching for Jae's hand. She gave him a weak smile.

"I'm alright... The pain subsided for now." She said, and Daehyun smiled and kissed her hand.

"You're doing fine. Just relax and breathe." She nodded and continued her deep breathing, which was helping in a way.

"My parents are on their way over here right now. I also contacted Yoo and Min, and they're also on their way here. Yoo probably wants to rip my head off though." He chuckled slightly, and Jae sadly smiled before looking out the window at the night sky. It was almost midnight, and the moon was shining high in the sky.

"I'm glad that they want to see the baby. I just wish that my parents could see our son as well..." She sighed, still not looking at Daehyun. He remained silent.

"I remembered how my mother would always tell me that she couldn't wait for me to have a son that looked exactly like you." She laughed slightly at the memory, and Daehyun didn't know what to say. He bent down and kissed her sweaty forehead.

"I'm sure that they're proud of you right now." He said, and Jae's gaze fell upon his dark eyes. She nodded and smiled. Yong Guk and the others stepped into the room, holding bouquets of pink roses and balloons that read : It's a boy!

"Hey there beautiful. How're you feeling?" Himchan asked, walking towards her bed. Jae giggled and placed her hand over her stomach.

"The contractions subsided for now. I just can't wait to bring our son out to see the world." Daehyun smiled at her. The excitement was killing him. Several seconds later, Daehyun's family, Yoo, and Min trotted into the room, holding balloons and flowers for her.

"Oh my baby! How are you sweetheart?" Daehyun's mother cried, running up to the bed. Jae giggled and cast her a bright smile.

"I'm fine, the pain is gone for now." She answered, and her mother smiled. Min came over with their baby girl, and Jae gushed at her cuteness. She had known that Min gave birth to her daughter several months before, but she never had the chance to actually go see the baby. While they were talking, Yoo grabbed Daehyun's arm and dragged him out of the room. Jae noticed this and she began to worry, but she couldn't move right now.

Daehyun reluctantly let Yoo drag him out into the hallway outside of the room. Yoo slouched against the wall in front of Daehyun and shoved his hands in his pockets, staring at the ceiling.

"You know I love her right?" He asked him, and Daehyun nodded. "So do I."

"You know I can't bear to see her in this kind of pain right?" He added, and Daehyun rolled his eyes.

"You just got here. I've been here for 6 hours watching her cry, and I can't do anything to help her." He scowled, and Yoo smirked at him before it quickly disappeared.

"I've seen my wife give birth. It's horrible, but in the end, it's worth it." Yoo smiled to himself, and he closed his eyes as the memory replayed in his mind.

"I should kill you for this." He murmured, loud enough for Daehyun to hear. He wasn't scared of Yoo at all; what scared him was that Yoo sometimes meant his threats. But Yoo chuckled and smiled at him.

"Thank you for staying by her side this whole time. She's not just my cousin, but also my younger sister." He said, and Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck and smiled.

They walked back into the room, and Jae's cries of pain filled their ears. Min and Daehyun's mother supported her by holding her hands and telling her to continue deep breathing, but Jae was finding it difficult to keep up. The nurse came into the room, her eyes widening at the amount of people in the room. She nervously waved at them all before turning to Jae.

"I don't know how much longer I can take..." Jae anxiously murmured, and the nurse smiled and stared at the screen.

"You won't have to anymore. You're fully dialated now." She said, and Jae's face lit up with excitement and anxiety. The nurse turned to everybody behind her, casting them a small smile.

"I'm sorry, but friends must wait out in the waiting room." She said, and the boys began to whine. Yong Guk stepped up to the lady and gave her a small grin.

"Can't we stay? We're the only family she has left." He said, and the nurse blushed and cleared .

"I-I'm sorry... I'm just following our policy..." She whispered, and Yong Guk sighed and nodded at the boys, who sighed and slowly walked out of the room. Daehyun's parents and Yoo followed, and he pumped his fist in the air. "Fighting!" He murmured, and she grinned and returned the favor.

After she was set up and ready to go, Jae was more nervous than ever. Daehyun was by her side, holding her hand and dabbing the sweat off her forehead.

"Ok Jae, when you feel your next contraction, I want you to push ok?" The nurse said as she put her gloves on. Jae nodded and took a deep breath, staring at the ceiling.

"I'm so nervous right now." She said, and Daehyun bent down and kissed her forehead.

"You can do it babe. Bring our baby out to see the world." He said, and Jae nodded and took several more deep breaths.

"Ok, 3, 2, 1... push." Jae began to push, feeling immense pain rip through her. Sweat poured out of her forehead and neck quickly, drenching her. Her wavy hair clung to her face, and she gritted her teeth in pain. She kept pushing, trying her best, and Daehyun and the nurse whispered encouraging words to her.

"Keep going, I can see the head!" Daehyun mindlessly snuck a glance, and he wished he hadn't. Indeed, he saw his baby's head, and his face went white.

"Whoa!" He yelled, nearly crashing to the floor. Jae was crushing his hand, and that was probably what was keeping him up.

How does this even work?!

After a few more minutes of intense labour, Jae finally heard a loud cry. She froze, watching at the nurse cleaned her baby up before presenting him to her. Tears immediately blurred her vision, and she choked back a sob. Her baby boy was crying in the nurse's arms, his beautiful face a lovely shade of red.

"Oh my gosh, that's... that's my baby..." She murmured, staring at her newborn son. The nurse smiled at them.

"Good job Jae. I'm proud of you." Jae glanced up at Daehyun, who was frozen in place, his eyes glued to the tiny lifeform in Jae's arms. She watched as a grin grew on his face, and his eyes lit up.

"That's my son...." He whispered, still frozen in shock.

That's my son.

The nurse cleaned up and prepped the baby before finally handing him over to Jae to hold him.

"I'll call your friends in." She kindly excused herself, leaving the 2 new parents alone. Jae held her son in her arms, wiping her tears away with her hand. Her son had his tiny eyes closed, his plump baby lips parted slightly.

"Our son HaJoon... is finally here." Jae whispered, gently running her fingers down the delicate baby's face. 

He's so soft and fragile...

Jae held the baby over to Daehyun, and as soon as he had his son in his arms, tears drenched his face. He found it hard to believe that his son was actually in his arms now. He couldn't believe that he had created such a tiny human being who would soon grow up to be just like him. He couldn't believe it.

"Jae, thank you..." He said, turning towards her. Jae giggled.

"If it weren't for you, I'd never would've gotten here. Thank you Daehyun. For everything." She said, and Daehyun handed her the baby again. She placed her fingers under his chin to push the blanket down a bit, and HaJoon let out a small smile. Jae squealed at the sight.

"Daehyun, he looks exactly like you. Same face, same puffy lips..."

"And he'll have your eyes, your nose, and your smile." He added, his hands slowly running over HaJoon's soft head. The boys quietly came in later, and they stared with awe. Daehyun's mother immediately burst into hysterical tears, and Daehyun's father cast a proud look at his son.

"Congratulations baby!" Min cheered, and Jae giggled.

"Thank you all for supporting me throughout all of this." She said, and Min squealed at the sight of Jae's son.

"HaJoon is very happy to be out of mommy, isn't he?" Jae giggled, placing a gentle kiss on HaJoon's forehead. Daehyun hastily wiped his tears away when he felt Yoo's eyes on him, but instead of threatening him, he cast him a smile. A gentle one.

I'm proud of you.

The nurse offered to take a picture for Jae, and everyone excitedly crowded around Jae's bed and got into the silliest pose they could think of.

"Forever we will remain one big happy family!" The chanted, and they smiled for the picture. As she gazed at the picture, Jae couldn't believe how much her life had changed in just a little over a year. If it wasn't for Daehyun, she'd be a lonely wreck. She didn't know how she managed to meet somebody so perfect in her life, but she doesn't ever regret falling in love with him. He supported her this entire time, no matter what had happened. Even if she lost her memory, he still didn't leave her.

And now, as she gazed at her new family, she felt happiness stir deep in her heart, erasing all of the misery and darkness inside. She would never forget her parents, and she will never stop missing them, but she knows that she has to let go sometime. Her parents must be proud. She gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy, and she has a new family now, one to take care and support her.

I feel... complete.