Empty feeling

Do you remember?

Daehyun felt as if someone had slashed a knife across his chest. He stared at Jae, waiting for her to say something, but the girl continued to look confused.

What?

"Who are you?" Jae repeated, sitting up, "Where am I?"

Daehyun's breath hitched, and he suddenly couldn't think. It couldn't be true. It had to be a joke.

"Jae, you don't remember me?"

Jae glanced around the room, shaking her head, "No, I... I don't remember anything. Why-" She stopped, making eye contact with him again. "What is this?"

"Jae, it's me. Jung Daehyun," Daehyun stopped, lowering his head, "Your boyfriend." He whispered, unsure if Jae had heard him. But her eyes had widened in shock and she began to inch away from him.

"What-I-That's impossible," She gripped her head and let out a heavy breath, "Why can't I remember anything? What is this?"

Daehyun was silent, struggling to hold back his tears. He couldn't comprehend what was happening. His heart was racing at the thoughts swarming his head at that moment. If Jae had indeed lost her memory, then it was true. He had truly lost her after all.

"How long have I been here?"

"Four years," Daehyun quietly responded, taking a deep breath, "You've been in a coma for four years."

Jae's mouth dropped open, and she shook her head, "No. No, no, no." Tears began to brim her eyes, and she bit down onto her lip. Nothing that she could do would help jog her empty mind. She felt empty, confused.

"Hello Daehyun, I need to-" The doctor had decided to stop by and check in, but abruptly froze in his tracks when he noticed that Jae was awake.

"J-Jae," He rushed to her side immediately, and Jae looked afraid for a moment. She turned her head towards Daehyun, who shot her a soft smile. For some reason, it had helped her relax.

"Jae? I'm Doctor Ryu, how do you feel?"

"Um, sore... And confused. What am I doing here?"

The doctor raised his brows. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped himself. 

"Doctor, she can't remember anything."

"What?"

Doctor Ryu looked alarmed. He walked over to the counter and searched for Jae's brain scan results. He silently studied the sheets, his facial expression darkening by each passing second. Jae felt scared. Something didn't feel right. The tension in the air was beginning to suffocate her.

Daehyun reached over and gently held Jae's hand. The girl looked startled for a moment, glancing between their hands and his face. But she made no movement to move her hand away. Admist not remembering him, Daehyun's comfort was helping her relax.

"Jae, I would look to run a few tests and scans to make sure, but I'm afraid that my worst fear has been confirmed. You've been in a coma for four years, and the result of that is amnesia."

"Amnesia?" Jae asked, shaking her head, "That's crazy." But both the doctor and Daehyun's silence had confirmed it. She buried her face in her hands and exhaled in frustration. Amnesia. Now what was she supposed to do? She doesn't even know what happened to her. Nothing came to mind.

Daehyun walked over to the doctor and gently dragged him to a corner of the room. "Doctor, please be honest. Is the memory loss... permanent?" It took all of his strength to say the last word. Every last bit of his leftover sanity was hanging on the last bit of hope that there would still be a chance to get his girlfriend back to who she really was.

Doctor Ryu sighed and shook his head, "I'm not sure. I wasn't surprised about the amount of damage she had sustained to her brain from the accident, but this... This is something much worse."

That did it. Daehyun felt the thin barrier of his tears break and he felt them slide down his cheeks. The doctor sighed again and placed a hand on Daehyun's shoulder, giving it a soft squeeze. 

"I can't say for certain, but I believe that by showing her things that may be familar, it can help jog her memory again. Reminisce with her. Show her photos. Tell her everything that can help her remember. I'm terribly sorry." Doctor Ryu said, patting Daehyun's shoulder. Daehyun silently nodded, lowering his head to hide his tear-stricken face.

After the doctor had left, Daehyun quietly went back to Jae and took a seat on the bed next to her. She had been silently staring down at her hands for a while now, her lips quivering as she struggle to keep her unstable mood under control. Daehyun sighed and placed his hand over hers. She looked up, and Daehyun's tears threatened to escape again when he noticed her beautiful eyes were filled with unshed tears. She began to sob, and he pulled her closer to him. She actually needed the company, and she softly cried against his shoulder, even though she didn't remember him.



Hello loves!

I will keep editing the chapters whenever I can, but I will keep all other chapters open <3

~BAPisPerfect