Trust

Do you remember?

It has been a week since Jae had awoken from her coma. The doctor had insisted on keeping her in for as long as he could to examine her brain more in depth. So far, Jae didn't show any signs of complications and looked like she was going to have a smooth recovery. However, she still didn't remember anything. Daehyun wanted to find out if the damage was permanent, if her amnesia was permanent. 

On the way to the hospital, Daehyun decided to stop by a flower shop and buy Jae a bouquet her favorite red and white roses. He smiled to himself as he walked to the hospital, waving to any fans that had noticed him along the way. 

"Good morning Jae," Daehyun quietly said as he stepped into Jae's room, where he found the girl sitting in the bed scribbling away in a journal.

"Oh hello Daehyun," Jae softly smiled at him, and the sight of her smile warmed his heart. He took a deep breath and seated himself beside her, holding out the bouquet.

"I bought you flowers... Your favorite," He said, feeling his cheeks warm up. He noticed the way her eyes glittered when her gaze landed on the roses, and he felt a wave of emotions hit him. He had missed moments like this. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and not let her go, assuring her that he would always be here for her. But he couldn't.

"I remember these," Jae smiled and shyly accepted the roses, "Thank you."

"What is the journal for?" Daehyun asked, glancing down at the notebook. At this, Jae suddenly looked away in embarassment,

"Doctor Ryu told me to write down everything that came to mind."

"And?"

"Well so far... All I remember is knowing how to draw," Jae paused for a moment, studying her design, "And I'm not even that good at it."

Daehyun chuckled and shook his head, "Don't worry, it'll come back," He assured her, though he wasn't quite sure himself. Nothing that Daehyun had told her had triggered any sort of memory relapse in the past week, but he wasn't going to give up. He was determined to get his girlfriend back.

"How old are you Daehyun?" Jae suddenly asked. Daehyun had been visiting her everyday for the past week and she realized that she didn't know much about him.

"I'll be turning twenty-two in a few months," Daehyun grinned, rubbing his chin. 

"And how long have we known each other?"

"About eleven years now."

"Eleven years!" Jae's eyes widened, and she lowered her head to hide her suddenly reddening face, "And we're... together?" She whispered, not daring to look at him.

Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck, suddenly feeling embarrassed as well, "Yes... We are," He replied, letting out a heavy breath. He didn't want to say anything that would possibly scare her away, but he couldn't deny their relationship. Jae meant more to him than anything. And he was terrified of losing her.

Jae was silent. She didn't know what to say or do. So Daehyun was her boyfriend. She remembered nothing about him, yet he was so caring and stayed by her side everyday since she had awoken. How could she possibly go on with a broken relationship that she doesn't even remember anything about? She buried her face in her hands and exhaled in frustration.

"Daehyun, I-"

"Good news Jae! You get to go home today-" Doctor Ryu chimed as he walked into the room, but stopped when he noticed that Daehyun was already there. He chuckled and glanced at his watch, noticing that it was barely half past eight in the morning.

"Daehyun, you seem to come earlier everyday."

At this, Daehyun chuckled.

"Right, so Jae. You are able to go home today. I just need you to fill out a few forms and you'll be all set."

Jae's eyes glittered and her lips widened into a smile. "Really? I can go home? Are my parents here yet?"

At this, both the doctor and Daehyun froze and didn't respond. Jae noticed the sudden tension in the air and cleared . Something didn't feel right. They still hadn't told her what happened, and now they were hiding something from her.

"Jae... About your parents...." Daehyun felt a knot form in his throat and he couldn't seem to find the right words to say. He had put off telling her the truth for the longest time now and he knew that this moment would've come up sooner or later, but how could he possibly have the heart to tell her the truth? She was already fractured, and the truth would certainly finish breaking her. 

"W-what about my parents? What are you hiding?" Jae whispered, swallowing hard. Her heart began to race and she suddenly grew anxious. She heard Daehyun sigh and slowly approach her.

"I'll tell you everything, Jae. Just... not here."

This was the worst possible place to tell her. He wanted to take her somewhere more private, quiet, secluded. And he certainly needed to take her away from a miserable setting like the hospital.

"You mean go with you?" Jae said, shaking her head, "Daehyun, you've been very kind but I can't just go somewhere with you. I mean, I don't even remember... Well, I-" She didn't even know what she was trying to say. Jae groaned and ran a hand through her hair, feeling anxious and confused.

"Don't worry Jae. You can trust this man," Doctor Ryu chimed in, giving her a gentle smile, "He has sacrificed everything for you."

"He has?" 

Jae sighed and finally stood up. She studied Daehyun for a moment, crossing her arms over her chest. Daehyun was already by her side when she had awoken from her coma, and has continued to come visit her every single day and spend all day with her to keep her company. She had heard from the other nurses that he had visited her everyday during the past four years. It was a very sweet gesture and she was incredibly thankful to have someone care for her so much. And it wasn't that she didn't trust Daehyun. No, if anything, he had gained her trust. She was just confused about the entire situation and didn't know how to deal with it, especially since she and Daehyun were supposedly dating.

After several moments, Jae finally sighed and nodded, "Alright, I'll go with you. As long as you explain everything to me."

Daehyun seemed estatic with her answer and he silently nodded. However, it didn't last very long as the short amount of happiness was quickly replaced by sadness. He wasn't quite sure how Jae would react to the truth, but he definitely knew that this was going to break her.