Crossing the line

Do you remember?

Daehyun watched as tiny white droplets fell from the sky, covering the ground and the streets in a white blanket of snow. His hand was pressed to the window, no doubt making his fingers turn numb, as he watched the streets turn whiter. 

She's late. Where is she?

His eyes flew in every direction, scanning the streets for any signs of his beautiful wife. She had gone to the cemetary to visit her parents, but it began to snow, and she has been gone for over an hour now. He had wanted to come with her, but she commanded him to stay here with HaJoon and Lucky. He had obeyed, but now that she was nowhere in sight, he wished that he could've at least broken some of Jae's rules. But he couldn't leave HaJoon alone, or take him out in this freezing weather.

He leaned his forehead against the cold glass, once again scanning every inch of the scenery he could see. Finally, his gaze landed upon the familar shine of wavy brown hair, and Jae was in sight. Exhaling in relief, he hurried to open the door for her, and when she was inside, he embraced her in his warm arms.

"Jae, I was so worried!" He whined, resting his forehead against hers. Jae winced at how cold his forehead was, but she smiled.

"Daehyun, I was with my parents. I didn't go anywhere else." She laughed, ping her jacket and shrugging it off her shoulders. Daehyun helped take her favorite blue scarf off, and he sheepishly smiled.

"Sorry, it's just it began to snow so much, and I got worried." Jae leaned up and kissed him, smiling.

"I'm happy that you got so worried about me." She said, and Daehyun chuckled. "Of course I would."

Daehyun decided to make some hot chocolate for Jae, since she was still trembling from the cold. While he set that up, the door bell rang.

"I'll get it!" Jae yelled, and she scurried off to open the door. Daehyun could make put the voices of his lovely friends, who came strolling into the kitchen a couple of seconds later.

"Hi buddy." Youngjae grinned, and he shoved something cold and wet into Daehyun's shirt. Daehyun yelped in surprise and nearly knocked the pot over. He turned around and glared at Youngjae, who was smiling innocently at him.

"Yah! Yoo Youngjae, for that, you're not getting any hot chocolate." Daehyun said, and Youngjae's mouth dropped open.

"Baby, I'm sorry!" Jae burst into laughter at the sight of those two. She decided to bake some cookies to go with the hot chocolate, and she immediately got to work.

****

An hour later, they were filled with hot chocolate and cookies. Jae realized that their cabinets were almost empty, and she decided to run to the grocery store real quick to pick up a few items. Daehyun was concerned about the snow and ice on the road, and he offered to go with Jae.

"Guys, can you take care of HaJoon for us? We'll be right back." Daehyun said, and Yong Guk nodded at him. Daehyun glared at him.

"Except you, Yong Guk." Yong Guk stared at him, looking offended.

"What, why? I love babies."

"You nearly killed us while I was about to have my baby." Jae said, and Yong Guk scoffed. "It wasn't-"

"Alright, Guk. Yes, HaJoon is in good hands." Himchan smiled and winked at Jae, and she nodded and smiled. Daehyun quickly ran to the car, the snow crunching under his feet. He went to start it up and warm up the car when he noticed that a piece of paper was attached to the windshield on his car. He sighed, already knowing who it was from, and he snatched it up.

If I can't have you, then no one can.

He was used to Mee's pathetic threats, but this one sent cold shivers down his spine. This one was written with aggression, as proven to Mee's unusual, sloppy handwriting and wrinkles on the paper as if she nearly crumbled it in anger. He kept staring at the paper, rereading over and over.

What does she mean by that?

Daehyun didn't know how long he was staring at the people, but the sound of the front door closing brough him back to his senses. He quickly shoved the paper in his coat pocket and got into the car, turning it on quickly. Jae got in and stared at Daehyun, who was staring at his hands that were on the steering wheel.

"Dae?" She placed her hand over his, and he barely flinched. He turned and gave her a warm smile, but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Sorry babe." He said, and he began driving. His thoughts were on that message.

What if she comes after Jae this time, and does something worse?

They stopped at a traffic light, and Jae glanced out the window and smiled at the small droplets of snow that continued falling from the sky in silent whispers. But the scenery faded as something came into focus, a car was speeding towards them at full blast.

"D-Dae!" Jae screamed, and Daehyun barely had enough time to get out of the way. By the time he turned the car around, the other car rammed into them, sending the car spinning and rolling down the street.

****

Half an hour passed, and Jae and Daehyun weren't home yet. The boys were busy watching TV, paying attention to HaJoon, but Youngjae couldn't sit still. He kept glancing at the clock, then at the door, waiting for them to show up. But they didn't.

Something is wrong.

The grocery store is 5 minutes away by car, and it wouldn't have taken so long to get back. Jongup sensed Youngjae's tension and massaged his shoulders, startling him.

"Don't worry, they probably just stopped by somewhere else." He said, and Youngjae nodded, giving him a small smile, but his heart was racing with fear.

Something was wrong, he could feel it. And the sudden blur of police cars rushing by the house had confirmed his fears.

****

The smell of blood and smoke filled the air.

He felt broken and lifeless.

His eyes were heavy, and he felt as if an elephant was sitting on him.

Slowly, Daehyun opened his eyes, instantly being greeted by the cold air and the putrid smell of blood and smoke. He felt horrible. Slowly, a face appeared over him, and he blinked several times. Then reality came flooding back to him.

The crash!

"Sir, please stay calm. You're going to be alright." The lady said, but her voice started to become distant, and he knew that he was slipping away.

"Where is my wife?" He asked, weakly turning his head to the side to get a clear view of the stranger. The lady hesitated before saying, "Your wife is going to be alright as well." Daehyun slowly smiled before everything faded to black.

Jae, I hope that you are safe.

 

 

~ This is the final chapter with Mee in it. *throws confetti* Yay! xD

~