chapter 6

The Empty Space for You

"Yah, so you mean to say that i'll only have two lessons per week? And it's only 3 hours per lesson?"

 

"Yes!" Yoochun beamed happily, pushing her into the doors to their home sweet home. "Tuesday and Thursday! Aren't you glad?"

 

"Glad? I used to have 5 lessons per week, 4 hours per lesson..." She slightly pouted, pushing her luggage instead of pulling so that she could vent her unhappiness on something.

 

"Well," He shrugged, pulling the handle off her hands and started carrying it instead before leading her to a staircase to the basement.

 

"Things are different now. At least you still get to have your lessons." He grinned, walking her towards a door, "And you can get to bake all you want here as well during your free time!"

 

"Guess i don't have a choice..." She grumbled, biting her lower lips unhappily as the corners of her lips went downwards.


Yoochun chuckled at the sight of that.

 

"You don't!" He announced, his facial expression mirroring hers, although it was the opposite emotion that he was expression. He was grinning.

 

"Anyway, here's your room!" He introduced, turning the doorknob open to reveal the guest room that Didi would be staying at.

 

"It's surprisingly neat." Didi commented effortlessly.

 

"Hey! I do clean my house at every chance i have ok?" He pouted, pushing her aside and making his way in as he laid comfortably on the bed.

 

"Just so you know, here's the bed, there's the wardrobe, that's the desk, those are doors #1 and #2, and that's the window #1, #2 and #3." He explained, pointing randomly at any place with his head snuggled comfortably in the comforter. "No further questions right? Good night!"

 

"Hey! Who are you to sleep on my bed! It's not your place!" Didi complained, marching up to the bed and started slapping his arms. "Get out of my bed!" She demanded, pulling his hand as she tried to get him out.

 

"Well, for the record, this is indeed my house." He said smugly, turning on his side as he propped his head up with his hand and elbow.

 

"Whatever." She mumbled, pushing his forehead making him lay on his back and she walked away to unpack. "I can't wait for my day off."

 

"Ah. About that. Your days off will be when i have my free days." He shrugged, “Makes things easier for the both of us.”

 

"I thought it's supposed to be once a week?" She retorted, genuinely having the thought that she had been conned into entering the employment contract. ‘This is misrepresentation!’

 

"Yeah it's once a week, on the average. It's up to your persuasion skills to get Kang to arrange it in that way." He grinned, pulling the blanket up so that it completely covered his whole body. "Ah! so warm!"

 

"Warm? Warm?" She puffed her cheeks up angrily as she slowly made her way towards him. "I'll make you warmer!" She then said with an evil grin on her face, throwing a few blankets that she had found in the wardrobe onto him, layering it one by one. "Yoochun ah, you should keep yourself warm so that you won't get a cold!"

 

"Hey, stop it!" He exclaimed angrily, although he was clearly having fun with the situation. "Get these blankets off me, it's too heavy and hot!"

 

"I'm just trying to fulfil my role as your personal assistant by making sure that you don't get sick." She shrugged, sitting at the edge of the bed to take a breather.

 

"I'm already regretting my decision to hire you." He said with a solemn look after finally wriggling out of the layers of blankets and sitting up.

 

"The feeling is mutual." She said, mirroring the exact look on his face.

 

They had the poker face looks on their faces and yet, beneath that facade, they were actually thinking otherwise.

 

'This is going to be fun after all.'

 

 

 

Kang came by the house a couple of hours later to inform her of her job scope, and letting her know about Yoochun's upcoming schedule. It should have been a quick briefing, but due to a certain distraction, it ended up longer than it should have been.

 

"Ok so in general, i will be in charge of his public welfares like accepting and arranging of his schedules, making sure that he gets to his schedules on time and protecting him from the fans. In fact, anything related to his celebrity persona." He summarised, taking a look at Didi to see if she understood. He was about to continue when he heard a mumble beside him.

 

"In general, he is the evil stepmother who works me to the bones."


Kang ignored him while Didi slapped him at the back of his head and placed her index finger on her lips, asking him to keep quiet and not to interrupt them.

 

"Go on, Manager Kang." She smiled, urging for him to continue.

 

"Didi, you will have the harder role from now on, since you will have to look after this big baby."

 

"I ain't a big baby!" He protested, hugging a cushion in his arms with a pout.

 

"Ok, you are a big kid then." Didi joked, patting him on his head.

 

Kang started chuckling before he continued his briefing (which had by then become a casual talk). "You will be like a nanny to him; taking care of his belongings, wardrobe, health etc. In fact, anything personal behind the lens will be under your care."

 

"A naggy grandmother then." Yoochun interrupted.

 

"Manager Kang, can i unagree to this job?" She finally groaned out in annoyance, grumbling as she quoted the word 'unagree' with her fingers.

 

"That's not a real word."

 

"I know that, Yoochun." She sighed. Turning to her left, she spoke. "I can't work with this kid here, Manager Kang. He’s making me crazy. And i have barely started my job."

 

Manager Kang threw his head back and burst out into laughter. Struggling in between the laughing fits, he managed to utter out a broken sentence. "If it's you... you will do it just fine... you're the best match..."

 

 

 

“What’s your favourite food?”

 

“Jaejoong’s homemade food.”

 

“Favourite drink?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Favourite season?”

 

“Winter? Ah no, it’s too cold. Summer? Too hot. Spring and Autumn are too boring... hmm... whatever.”


Didi took a deep breath hoping to calm herself down from the fruitless ‘getting to know you better’ session with Yoochun, who was lying down on the couch and gazing at the coffee table on the side.

 

“How about the items you cannot go out without?”

 

Yoochun casted his glance at her for a split second before resuming his gaze at the interesting coffee table. “Take a look at my bag and you’ll know.”

That did it for Didi.

 

“Yah! How am i going to take care of you if you don’t tell me your likes and dislikes?!” She half yelled, throwing Harang’s plushed toy in his direction, hitting perfectly on his head. “Tell me!”

 

“You’ll figure them out in due course.” He replied, throwing the toy towards Harang before turning his body to the other side. “Now let me rest, personal assistant.”

 

She gave him the evil glare. Realising that it was futile for her to press on, she stood up and went towards the kitchen, hoping to find something to release her anger towards her employer. A smile appeared on her face. ‘There’s strawberry ice cream.’

 

Taking the pint out and retrieving a spoon, she carried the ice cream out into the living room before sitting down next to Yoochun who was still faking his rest.

 

Sensing that he was still refusing to budge even a little, she pulled out her handphone and started looking through the list of photos from her instagram. Without her knowing, a smile slowly made its way on her face, and she started giggling soon after.

 

“Junsu?” A male voice echoed beside her, interrupting her thoughts. “Don’t tell me you have a crush on my member, because i find that creepy.”

 

“Haven’t you heard of something called privacy?” Didi replied, rolling her eyes before exiting the application from her phone.

 

“Well, you haven’t either, since you were interrogating me with questions about me.” He gave her a bored look, sitting upright, throwing his arms on the couch and crossing his legs like a boss.

 

“But you didn’t answer any properly. That’s what makes the difference. You have invaded my privacy but i haven’t.”

 

He bit his lower lips in silence.

 

“Well?” She asked, raising her brows with a look of triumphant. “Nothing to retort to?”

 

“Fine! I’ll answer to your millions of questions!”

 

“Just 5 is fine, i don’t want to know your great grand grand grand family history.” She grinned. “Anyway, what is your...”

 

“Employer calls dibs!” He interrupted with an equivalent grin like hers. “Let’s go with the norm of reciprocity!”

 

“What?”

 

“I’ll ask you 5 questions and you will need to answer them truthfully. Only after that will i answer your 5 questions!”

 

Didi squinted her eyes to look at his, trying to sense if he was serious about what he was saying. “I don’t trust that you will answer after that.”

 

“Come on, you have to trust me. I am the person you have to look after for the following months or years to come.”

 

“Still a no. You’re a bully.”

 

Yoochun stuck out his lower lips as its corners went downwards. “Am i that detestable?”

 

“... Not really.” She replied, feeling guilty that she was responsible for making the guy beside her upset.

 

“Ok then, let’s start!” He cheered, mimicking her actions when she first asked him about himself. Having a pen on one hand and paper on the other, he cleared his throat before starting off with his first question.

 

“What’s your favourite food?”

 

“Almost everything.”

 

“Glutton....” He mumbled under his breath.

 

Feeling an evil glare charging his way, he cleared his throat again and continued with his questioning session. “Favourite drink?”

 

“Mineral water and juice.”

 

“Favourite season?”

 

“We only have cloudy, rainy and sunny season in Indonesia, so i guess this question is inapplicable to me.”

 

He nodded. “Items you cannot go out without?”

 

“Phone, mineral water, watch, earphone.”

 

“Why were you looking at Junsu’s photos just now?”

 

Didi turned to him sharply. “Is that question really needed?”

 

“Come on, just satisfy my curious mind...”

 

She rolled her eyes and leaned back on the couch. “Don’t you think he looks like a kitten? He’s so mind calming...” She giggled, imagining Junsu as a kitten.

 

Her facial expression went stiff when she felt Yoochun staring at her, “...and you’re mind boggling.”

 

“What? You little...”

 

“Ok 5 questions are up!” She clapped, cheering for the successful completion of her Q&A session. “It’s your turn!”

 

“Ok...”

 

“Favourite food?”

 

“Jaejoong’s homemade food.”

 

Didi nodded, noting diligently on her notepad. Looking up, she asked another question. “Favourite drink?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

She scrunched her face with a menacing look before trying to calm herself down. Smiling once again, she tried asking another question. “Favourite season?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Items you cannot go out without?”

 

“Check my bag.”

 

Didi literally face palmed herself. She was already mentally picturing herself slicing him with a sushi knife and making him into a sashimi platter.

 

“Yah! Why can’t you just answer my questions properly?!”

 

“Because i want to see your pissed off look?” He smirked, standing up and patting the imaginary dust off his sweatpants. “And so, 5 questions are done! Didi, please wake me up at 4am tomorrow! We have to leave by 4.30am! Good night!”

 

“Yah! Park Yoochun!”