chapter 19

The Empty Space for You

"Tell me again, why should we come home for dinner we can have our meals outside?" Yoochun complained, throwing his entire weight on the couch. "I'm tired!"
 

Didi walked over after closing the door behind her as she pushed Jaejoong towards the couch as well, making him sit down.
 

Turning to face Yoochun, she went up to him and pulled his ear. "That's because, we still have so much ingredients that we haven't used in the fridge. I don't want to let them go to waste."
 

"Ouchhhhhhh!" He screamed, sitting up right and nursing his poor, red ear. "You're such a brute. My poor ear!" He complained again, sitting cross legged on the couch this time. "Besides, i already told you not to buy so much when we went for grocery shopping the other day. You just refused to listen."
 

"I had every intention to cook them for breakfast, you know. It's just that my boss works me to the bones till late night everyday." She rolled her eyes, looking at Jaejoong instead. "How am i supposed to wake up early to prepare breakfast with such a working condition, right?"
 

Jaejoong was clutching his stomach and rolling around by then, laughing at the comedic act by the duos. "You guys seriously are the best match! Match made in heaven!" He said, continuing his laughing fit.
 

"Righttttt." She sighed before pulling Yoochun up and into the kitchen with her.
 

"Why did you pull me into the kitchen with you?" He argued, upset that he was forcibly separated from his manga.
 

"Help me with the cooking, durh." She replied calmly, rolling up her sleeves and putting on an apron. More specifically, an apron that Yoochun bought as a joke when they last went shopping at a hypermarket.
 

To be extremely precise, it was an apron that Yoochun thought was highly suitable for Didi since it had colourful cupcakes printed on the fabric.
 

"I can't cook for nuts." He waved his hands about frantically. Hadn’t he already shown her his inability to cook?
 

"Don't eat then." She shrugged briefly and browsed through the available ingredients in the fridge.
 

"Aish. What do i do now?" He spoke with a defeated voice before reaching out for an apron.

 

 

"Park Yoochun! You are supposed to cut the carrots into strips, not dice! And what's with the difference in sizes? And, oh my gosh, my sweet potatoes! I asked you to remove the skin, not remove the meat! Oh gosh, what a waste." Didi complained, shaking her head from the thoughts of the food wastage.
 

"Told you i'm bad at this." Yoochun mumbled apologetically, examining the de-meat sweet potatoes.
 

Didi sighed. "No, it's my fault for not listening." With a small giggled, she continued speaking, "But i can't believe you, it's a feat to be able to de-skin until it looks like this."
 

"Laugh all you want." The old kid pouted, burying his face into her shoulder. "Just so you know, i'm not going to help the next time. Or rather, there’s no more next time."
 

"I know, i know." She giggled once again, ruffling his hair and lightly kissing his cheek.
 

"You know, i'd hate to disturb your husband and wife act but i'm pretty hungry already. Is dinner going to be served anytime soon?" Jaejoong suddenly interrupted, peeking into the kitchen with lopsided smirk.
 

"Eat your hands." Yoochun replied, throwing the kitchen gloves in his way. Jaejoong managed to catch them with ease. He then changed his glance towards the messy chopping board and back to Yoochun.
 

"I see you need immediate help here." He said, hiding a smile due to Yoochun's clumsiness. He had already expected it to turn out this way. He had always been the one in charge of cooking whenever they had a gathering at his house after all.
 

"Yoochun, will you be a dear and go out to set the table? Didi and i will finish up the remaining work here."
 

Yoochun looked at Didi and Jaejoong, and back at Didi. She gave him an approving nod before he trudged out of the kitchen.
 

"Now... what should i do, Chef?" Jaejoong asked happily.
 

"Salvage the vegetables on the chopping board, sous chef."

 

 

"Dinner is perfect!" Jaejoong praised, digging in to the last bits of his dinner. "You are a great cook, Didi!"
 

Yoochun had already stuffed everything into his mouth and is looking like a hamster while he slowly chewed the last of his dinner.
 

"Of course," She beamed. "I've been cooking since elementary school. With all these experiences over the years, it will be weird if i'm not a good cook, won't i?"
 

"Wow, someone is getting proud." Yoochun joked, wiping his mouth with a tissue paper before turning towards her with a smirk. He raised his hand before pinching her cheek, grinning at the distorted face she was currently showing him.
 

"I should be, considering i know someone who couldn't even peel skins properly." She replied, slapping his hand away and rubbing her cheek in pain.
 

"That's not my forte."
 

"I could peel it better when i first attempted it."
 

"I'm a lefty, knives are catered to the right handers."
 

"Excuses."
 

"It's true right?" Yoochun pouted, turning towards Jaejoong for backup. "The knives are mostly catered for right handers unless you buy the ones that are made especially for lefties."
 

Jaejoong pondered as he pretended to be in serious thought.
 

"Well, that's true..." He replied, noticing that Yoochun had already a wide grin on his face.
 

"But aren't you ambidextrous? Besides, even if you were a lefty, you could peel the food with the knife away from you. That's going to help you peel better."
 

It was Didi's turn to smile.
 

"Jaejoong! You traitor!"
 

"What? I was only telling the truth!" He shrugged, standing up to collect the used utensils on the table. "Besides, don't you have a peeler? I remember seeing it somewhere before."
 

Yoochun could only stare at him with a blank look. "Oh yeah. I forgot."
 

Didi was by now shaking badly from holding back on her laughter. "Idiot." She managed to utter out after a while.
 

"You knew, didn't you?" Yoochun eyed her from the side of his eyes.
 

"You were the one who chose to use a knife." She shrugged, helping to wipe the table as Jaejoong took a part of the utensils towards the kitchen sink.
 

"You could've told me..." He whined, embarrassed that he was making a fool out of himself.
 

"It was cute though, seeing you struggle to peel."
 

"Didi!"
 

"Alright, alright. Stop whining and bring the remaining utensils to the kitchen will you?" She urged, placing the stacked up bowls and plates onto his hands.
 

The pouting boy just proceeded towards the kitchen without words as Didi followed right after.
 

"Jaejoong ah, just take a break outside. We'll clean up the dishes."
 

"We are?" Yoochun asked, turning to Didi with a 'really?' expression.
 

"Yes, we are." She said with confidence.
 

Jaejoong shook his head with a smile before washing his hands and walking out of the kitchen.
 

"Alright, i'll be right outside if you need any help." He said, looking directly at Didi. "You know what i mean." He said with a wink, which Yoochun obviously noticed.
 

"Hey, hey. No flirting with my baby!" Yoochun exclaimed, wrapping his arm around Didi's shoulder as he turned her towards the direction of the kitchen sink. "Guest should stay still in the living room, shoo shoo!"
 

Jaejoong continued laughing as he skipped out of the kitchen to find Harang, which was obediently sitting on the floor just beside the couch.
 

"I can't believe you called him a guest." Didi murmured, putting all the dishes into the sink.
 

"What? He IS a guest."
 

"I am one as well, why didn't i get the same treatment?"
 

"That's because you are not?" He suggested, rubbing his chin as if thinking. He proceeded to stand beside her, waiting for her to soap the dishes before he washes them off.
 

"Then what am i?" She asked, "Just so you know, if you say that i am your maid, i'll seriously kill you with your right handed knives."
 

"Try me." He snickered, nudging her as he lightly pushed her to her side with his body. "My cute little maid."
 

"Aish..."
 

"Nothing to retort to?" He teased, nudging her once again.


'You're not just a guest, but the female owner of this house... well, practically.' He chuckled, recalling about how she had practically made his living quarter theirs. Gone are the days when the fridge was only stocked up with soju and kimchi from his mother. Gone are the days when everything in his house is just a loner. Bathroom was now stocked with two of everything - two toothbrush, two sets of towels, etc. They had two pairs of slippers, two pairs of kitchen gloves, two mugs... even the big plushie on his couch comes in two now, since Didi would always fight with him for his whenever they watch the TV together.
 

"Yah!" She finally blew up, dumping one of the soaped plates into the sink of water on Yoochun's side.
 

No prize for correctly guessing who got soaped.
 

"Didi!" Yoochun exclaimed, wiping the soap bubbles off his face and part of his clothes. "Look what you have done!"
 

"What? I'm washing the plates?" She declared innocently. "And as a special service, this 'cute little maid' is cleaning her master as well."
 

"You..."
 

"What?" She asked with a puppy eyed look back at Yoochun.
 

Surprisingly, Yoochun melted down into a smile. A grin, or rather a smirk.
 

"Well, this master is in a rather good mood right now, so he shall help out as well." He said, before splashing water from his sink towards her.
 

"Park Yoochun!" She scolded, spitting some water that had gotten into . "This is soap water!"
 

Yoochun started laughing endlessly as he continued to splash water on her. "I'm helping you cool down!"
 

"Then i shall do you a favour and do the same!" She said and covered his clothes with the foam from the soap.
 

That was how they ended the day, with Jaejoong constantly laughing from the sideline as he continued watching how the two kids played with water in the middle of the summer... in the kitchen.
 

Needless to say, Yoochun got the shorter end of the stick when he was forced to clean up the entire kitchen by himself. Jaejoong had insisted for Didi to clean herself up immediately after their playtime, for fear that she would get a cold.

 

 

A/N (JY):
See how much i love you guys. I could barely come out of my bed and hence missed my medicine time, but i crawled out just to update today.