chapter 27

The Empty Space for You

Didi awkwardly mannered through the sea of staff and reporters, her head bowing low.
 

"Stupid Yoochun, making me come for the photoshoot even when i am on leave..." She muttered under her breath.
 

She secretly took quick glances at her surroundings; several groups of people were already pointing towards her direction, wondering who she is.
 

'Park Yoochun, i'm going to skin you alive after this... if i'm still alive.'
 

By this time, she was already panicking. Why hasn't she seen any familiar faces?
 

"Didi, you're here?"

 

She turned around upon hearing the familiar voice belonging to Kang. A wave of relief came rushing to her.
 

"Oh gosh, Kang. You're a lifesaver!" She exclaimed, almost clapping her hands together and praying gratitudes of thanks towards the sky.
 

"Why?" He asked amusedly, noticing that the girl in front of her has visibly relaxed herself by seeing her, "Is seeing me that comforting?"
 

"You have no idea," She sighed, putting her hands over her chest, trying to breathe normally.
 

"The staff, and especially the press that were invited to this photo shooting session," She muttered, pointing to the imaginary pass slung over their collars, "They were eyeing me like hawks prey on a big fat piece of meat. Read my lips: Scandal."
 

Kang chuckled, inching nearer to her before whispering, "Seems like they have gotten their target right at least. I'll give them credit for that."
 

"Kang!" She pouted, placing her hands on both side of her waist.
 

Kang continued laughing as he led her through the crowd of staff and press.
 

As they walked, a few curious brave souls stopped Kang (they recognised who he is from the various interactions over the years) to enquire who Didi is from him. Kang skillfully introduced her as Park Yoochun's personal assistant, and that she was there to (obviously) take care of him.
 

Finally having a legit identity, the staff loosened up and went back to minding their own businesses.
 

"But then again, why are you actually here?" Kang whispered by her ear, walking her up to the second level of the resort room that Yoochun was waiting and having his makeup at.
 

"He made me come, what can i do?" She sighed, almost wanting to roll her eyes.

 

"I assume both of you are fine already? You know..." He asked, gesturing the action of using an inhaler.
 

She nodded. "More or less, i think?"
 

"You think?" He asked, tilting his head to the side.
 

'I remember him mentioning about going overseas to be an apprentice... it's possible that he is aware of the offer...'
 

"It's complicated..." She mumbled. 
 

Kang nodded in understanding. He got the message that she didn't want to talk any more about it. 
 

"Anyway, here we are. He's inside alone, waiting for you." He said. Lowering to a whisper, he added, "I'll help keep a lookout outside, so don't worry." 
 

"Thanks." She smiled, turning the doorknob to go in.
 

"Yoochun?" She whispered, scanning through the room. The curtains were all drawn up, making the room darker than usual. She locked the door after her before walking deeper into the room.
 

"Baby Di..." A voice echoed from behind her, a pair of hands sliding from her back and wrapping around her waist. His head snuggled comfortably on her shoulder. "Miss me?"
 

"You are aware that we are at work right now, right? And there are tons of reporters outside." She asked, turning to her side and looking at his face up close, a smile appearing on her face.
 

"I don't care, it's my personal time right now." He whined, sending butterfly kisses on her shoulders. 
 

Didi giggled, placing her hands over his. "Such a lazy boy."

 

Noticing the rack of outfits a few steps away, she squinted her eyes as her eyebrows formed a straight line. "You haven't even changed into your outfit!" 
 

"Later." He replied, nuzzling into her shoulders.
 

"Now."
 

"Later."
 

"I'll go home if you don't change right now."
 

Yoochun looked up and let go of her. "Do you really have to do this to me?"
 

"I don't if you do things properly." She singsonged, reaching to pick up the labelled first outfit and pushing it to him. She then turned him around and pushed him to the changing room. "Be a good boy and i may consider giving you a reward."
 

"How about giving the reward now? Like... helping me change into my outfit?" He teased, wiggling his eyebrows. 
 

She let out an exasperated laugh, punching him lightly on his arm. "Be serious!" 
 

"Alright, alright. I'll be right back." He pouted.
 

"I'll get the stylist and makeup assistant here."
 

He nodded.
 

Didi grinned knowing that he was finally in the mood for work. She walked towards the doors and asked Kang to get the staff in to help him get ready.
 

He came out soon after and was immediately rushed to have his makeup and hair done.
 

Throughout the preparation, Yoochun completely transformed into a talkative guy like he usually was in the presence of others.
 

"Didi, do you know, i almost fell in the pool just now when i was chasing after a few staff? We were playing catch just now. It was fun!" He said happily, describing his happiness using exaggerated hand movements.
 

"You know, it's dangerous to run around the pool!" She shook her head, looking through the trays of accessories and deciding which should be used.
 

"He wasn't chasing, it was more like pushing." The stylist informed, shaking her head apathetically. "I pity those guys."
 

"But i'm doing them a favour. It's such a hot day!" He retorted, making a face at the stylist.
 

"Didi, one fine day, Shrek's mother went out almost completely . Do you know why?"

 

She shook her head. "No i don't, Yoochun. Why?"
 

"Cos it's St. Patricks Day!"
 

At that point of time, she felt like digging a hole to hide. 'Whoever fed him with a truckload worth of sweets??'
 

"Didi!" Yoochun called out again.
 

"Yes?" 
 

"Want a sweet?" He asked, showing her a candy.
 

She shook her head, making him look down with an upset looking face.
 

"But i saved it especially for you..."
 

"Fine, hand it over." 
 

His stylist suddenly chuckled. "You guys are on such good terms!"
 

"He's unstoppable at times." Didi sighed.
 

"Unstoppable charms, you mean?" He asked, sending a wink in her way.
 

Didi literally face palmed herself, although she couldn't help but smile at how cute he was.
 

Soon, all the staff exited the room after their tasks were complete. All but Didi and Yoochun.
 

"Didi ah, i'll try to finish this as soon as possible so that we can spend more time together." He promised, looking at Didi as she adjusted the outfit he is wearing.
 

“Rather than saying 'as soon as possible', why don't you say 'enjoy this photoshoot'?" She suggested, lifting and folding back the collar to make it look neater.
 

"I am enjoying, that's because you are here."
 

"Cheesechun." She giggled, sweeping his sleeves for imaginary dusts. "Ok, you are all set for the shoot."
 

He checked his reflection through the mirror. "Wow, what a matching couple!" He commented, snaking his arm around her waist.
 

"Greasechun..." She mumbled, turning him around towards the direction of the door.
 

"Anyway, where's my reward?" He asked, stretching out his hand.
 

"Well..." She uttered, pretending to have forgotten about it.
 

"Didi..."
 

"Didi, is he ready?" Kang asked through the door. "They are asking for him to be on standby already."
 

"Yeah he's ready!" She called out, pushing him forward.
 

"But Didi..." He pouted.
 
That's when she turned him around and planted a light kiss on his lips. 
 

"Good luck!" She said before turning the doorknob and running out of the room, leaving him frozen in his steps.
 

 

 

"You know, Yoochun has been looking in your direction throughout the whole shoot up until now." Kang commented, pointing at the guy in the near distance.
 

"Get him to look away..." She replied, looking away and shifting a bit such that her back was facing him instead. 
 

"I can't." He teased, "It's like asking the moth to not fly towards the direction of the light."
 

"It's going to attract the reporters' suspicions." She mumbled, now pretending to be busy looking through the schedules.
 

"No worries, they are already gone." He shrugged. "Oh, he's waving at us now!"
 

"Did you feed him with excessive sweets or something? Why is he so hyperactive today?" She asked, slipping on a cap to cover her face.
 

"He's just glad to have you back by his side." He said, "He was like a discharged battery when you left."
 

She grinned. "I'm glad that i can still claim the space by his side too."
 

Kang gave her a warming smile. "Treat that guy well. He's a keeper."
 

"I know." She returned with an equally beaming smile. 
 

"Oh! Break time already?" Kang said, noticing that the staff were dispersing. "Yoochun is heading here..."
 

"Didi!” Yoochun called out, waving happily at them.
 

"Oh! Kang, i got to get to the photographers. Got to monitor the pictures!" She quickly came up with an excuse and dashed off.
 

"Given the slip again." Yoochun pouted and mumbled when he reached Kang.
 

"I wonder what happened just now..." The latter asked, grinning slyly at him.
 

"For me to know and for you to find out!" The former replied. "Do you want to know?"
 

"Tch. No thanks." Kang clicked his tongue in annoyance and walked away.