chapter 23

The Empty Space for You

"Am i disturbing you?" Jaejoong's head peeked into the JYJ camp base in the house as he looked unsure. Should he or should he not come in?
 

Didi shook her head.
 

"I could use some company," She admitted, wrapping her left hand on her right wrist, turning it around nervously.
 

"I need to do some newspaper cuttings on the concert you guys had yesterday, and also some article summaries." She bit her lower lip before admitting. "It's getting mundane, doing the same thing almost everyday."
 

Jaejoong threw his head back in laughter, inviting himself into the room and sat right opposite her from across the desk. "I'm sorry for getting on the news almost every time i tweet then."

 

She gave him the evil glare before resuming her work. "Glad you know."

 

"So how's the response for yesterdays' concert?" He asked, tapping anxiously on the table.
 

"Positive." She replied. "It's a pity i wasn't there to watch your concert."
 

"Don't worry," He assured, knocking her head with his knuckle, "There will be many more to come."
 

She nodded in acknowledgement. "That i don't deny."
 

Jaejoong smiled, knowing that she was feeling better already. 'Yoochun had been a prick yesterday'. He was actually over at the house to somehow become their meditator...
 

"Why are you still here? Shouldn't you have left by now?" A new voice joined them within the room.
 

The low and husky voice no one could have ever forgotten. It was covered with a thick layer of ice, sprinkled with salt.
 

Jaejoong literally facepalmed himself. 'Couldn't he have said something more pleasant?!'
 

He subtly diverted his attention towards Didi.
 

She had stopped her work for a split second, but had picked herself up almost immediately. He noticed her biting her inner lips.
 

'She's definitely hurt by his words.' He thought.
 

He was about to walk up to Yoochun to give him a piece of his mind - a small one, probably the size of the Cape of Good Hope. But Yoochun had beaten him to it, as usual.
 

"Answer me, why haven't you left?"
 

To his (and Jaejoong's) surprise, Didi started packing up the mess on the table before lifting them up. A smile spread across her face. "I'm definitely leaving, but that will come after i'm done with my pending work." She replied, her gaze directing to the pile in her arms.
 

Yoochun found his jaws loosen as it dropped right through the room, beneath the basement even. He was shocked at her retaliation.
 

"But if you can't stand the sight of me, i'll just return to my bedroom to continue my work." She shrugged before walking across the room towards the door. "Ah, maybe i should start packing right now." She spoke loudly as she walked past him, bumping into his shoulders almost deliberately before shutting the door after her.
 

Once outside, she leaned on the wall and finally started breathing. Feeling the oxygen fill through her bloodstream, she relaxed a little. She gently rubbed her thumb and then her wrist out of habit.
 

Sure, she was downright hurt by his comment, she wanted to get back at him tenfold by jumping on him and pulling his hair all away. Breaking down and crying in front of him was out of the question; she wasn't that fragile, at least that's what she thinks. Shooting back with sarcasm probably wouldn't work; she knew she would never win him in the sarcasm category.
 

So, the best way would be to smile at him and pretend to not be affected. A lethal poison that darts straight to the victim's heart to make them feel extreme guilt, that's if they even have a heart in the first place.
 

'Nahs, he wouldn't be bothered.' She shrugged her thoughts off and got up on her feet before continuing with her journey back to her room.



 

"Yoochun, you're a prick."
 

"Yoochun, you're an idiot."
 

"Yoochun, you're... why are you not speaking?!" Jaejoong asked, shaking him out of his trance as he stared at his friend who was biting his inner lips and playing with his wrist.
 

"Well, there's nothing to say." He grumbled, looking away.
 

"There's nothing to say?!" He huffed, digging both hands on his sides. "Then i have something to say!" He said angrily as he stood right in front of him. Although he was someone who would rather use words to solve something instead of using anger or fist, he had the utmost urge to send him flying to the moon at that moment.
 

"Say what?" An additional voice interrupted the both of them. "By the way, is Didi still feeling down? She looked kind of upset when she answered the door for me."
 

"Junsu, why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be at your soccer practice?" Jaejoong asked, mentally distracting himself from his anger.
 

"Urm..." Junsu stuttered, playing with his fingers, "You see, i kind of saw Didi in her lowest moments outside the backstage yesterday. She looked like she was about to cry any second." He looked up worriedly. "And she suddenly disappeared right after that, so i thought it would be a good idea to drop by and check up on her."
 

Jaejoong gave a sincere smile at Junsu, his anger diminishing instantly knowing that the young one is so sweet and caring, unlike...
 

"Yoochun, see the difference in treatment you and Junsu gave to her?" He asked, his words filled with thorns.
 

Yoochun stubbornly looked away, not wanting to let them see the falter in his eyes.
 

"Hmm?" Junsu uttered, looking at Jaejoong. "What happened?"
 

"Nothing." Jaejoong shrugged and wondered aloud. "I wonder how's her injury..."
 

'She's injured?'
 

"She's injured?" Junsu asked.
 

Jaejoong nodded and pointed to his elbow. "Fell down when she rushed to get someone his medicine."
 

'I hadn't noticed since she was wearing a long sleeve shirt today...'
 

"Oh yeah, speaking about that, are you feeling better now Yoochun? It must have been a bad attack, judging by your mood." Junsu asked concernedly.
 

Yoochun meekly nodded.
 

"Anyway," Junsu continued, turning back to Jaejoong, "What exactly happened? I've only heard bits and pieces from the staff..."
 

Jaejoong scratched his chin, thinking of how to best summarise the entire situation. "Yoochun's medicine bag fell under the car seat without the staff knowing, hence nobody brought it to the backstage. He got an attack. Didi got blamed for negligence."
 

"But i thought Didi made sure everything was packed and brought out? Besides, didn't she delegate the bag moving task to one of the staff?" Junsu interrupted.
 

"Exactly." Jaejoong rolled his eyes, not entirely pleased at the interruption. "And so, Didi rushed out of the backstage to find his medicine after easing his attack with caffeine."
 

"Caffeine?"
 

"Yeah. Apparently she has been reading up on asthma on the net whenever she has the time. All because she was looking after someone."
 

Junsu nodded in understanding.
 

"And at some point of time, she fell down." He sighed. "Junsu, do you know, this girl has gotten the stubborn trait from someone. She didn't even bother to dress her wounds until i helped her with it."
 

"That's bad." Junsu sighed as well.
 

"Guys, are you both trying to give me the guilt treatment?" Yoochun finally spoke out. "You'll be glad to know that it's working."
 

Both guys smiled to themselves. With a knowing glance at each other, there was a silent conversation between each other.
 

'Jaejoong, should we make him more guilty?'
 

'Of course we should! He caused me to almost burst a vessel!'
 

'But how?'
 

'Just follow my lead.'
 

Jaejoong started off with a deep sigh. "I should go check up on her. Maybe help her pack her luggage at the same time."
 

"Hmmm? She's leaving?" Junsu asked. Shock was evidently on his face, but it diminished to dust soon after. He had remembered.
 

"Yeah, Junsu. After such an unreasonable treatment, do you think she would want to stay on?"
 

"True. Let's go check up on her together! I want to properly say goodbye to her as well!"
 

Jaejoong chuckled. "Yeah, let's do."



 

It took bull efforts before Yoochun finally dug out information from Jaejoong and Junsu (he had held them captive in the room just before they stepped out), that Didi wasn't leaving for good.
 

She was just returning to her home country for her two weeks break.
 

"Shouldn't you go up to her right now and apologise, now that you've known the truth?" Junsu asked, munching on Yoochun's well hidden snacks that were originally behind the row of novels.
 

It was part of his bribery for Junsu.
 

"I do, i should... but..."

 

"But you're hesitating?" Jaejoong helpfully supplied him with the appropriate word, pouring himself another glass of 1985 Merlot.
 

Needless to say, that was Jaejoong's bribe.
 

"I've wronged her..." He muttered. He knew that much. He was trying to push her away amidst his frustrations yesterday, and when he finally calmed down, he was in his self reproaching mode. But seeing her again earlier on, he couldn't help but go along with his emotions...
 

Both guys nodded, waiting for the forlorn man to continue.

 

"But i'm ashamed to go near her. I mean, i even had the indecency to chase her out!" He said, burying his head within his knees.
 

For the first time in a while, even the kind hearted Junsu was irritated by , and had thrown some chips at him.
 

"Whatever, it's either now or never. Your choice. She's leaving early tomorrow." Jaejoong said and continued on feasting with Junsu.
 

'Tomorrow. I'll definitely apologise tomorrow. I'll break the ice by making her a nice breakfast, then offer to send her to the airport, and i'll apologise on the way...'
 

But that plan was never fulfilled. For he had found himself waking up to an empty house. He had, for the first time in a long while, over slept since nobody was there to wake him up. 
 

To think it was only the first day of Didi's absence.