chapter 30

The Empty Space for You

Didi found herself standing in front of the same exact place where she had gone to when she first landed in Seoul back then.
 

She couldn't help it; she had flown herself right back to Seoul on the earliest flight since her little revelation from her mother's diary. She need to have a confirmation.
 

She left a note on the kitchen table for Yoochun. Just in case he happens to return to the house.
 

With trembling hands, she pushed open the wooden doors, sending the familiar bells chiming to inform the occupants of her arrival.
 

"Didi, you're back!" Gong Yoo exclaimed, thoroughly shock by her sudden appearance. "I thought you're returning at the end of this week? There's still a couple of days left."
 

"3 more days." Elder Gong kindly furnished the information to his son, as the latter nodded.
 

"Yeah, 3 more days." Gong Yoo repeated, jokingly imitating his dad’s caring tone while speaking.
 

"There's something i need to do here as soon as possible, so i came back earlier." Didi replied in her calmest voice, hoping that it will not betray her.
 

"Well, would you like to have brunch with us then?” Elder Gong asked, pointing to the spread of food the table. "There's plenty."
 

Gong Yoo on the other hand, spared her no chance of hesitation as he stood up from his seat and made his way towards her, after which he started pulling her to sit with them.
 

"Eat!" He grinned, picking up his chopstick and digging in to a kimbap.
 

Didi tried to act nonchalant by picking up a piece of kimbap to eat as well, but she had unconsciously started staring at Elder Gong himself.
 

"Hmm? Didi do you have something to say?" Uncle Gong asked right after he felt the piercing stares sitting adjacent to her.
 

"Uncle Gong, i need to speak to you about something." She spoke carefully, side glancing at Gong Yoo, "Alone."
 

Elder Gong got the drift, and had every intention to kick his son out of the conversation but the latter still insisted on staying, saying that they are close enough to have no secrets between the both of them.
 

"Didi, is it about the apprenticeship? Dad has informed his mentor,and his mentor is elated that you have agreed. He will contact personally soon!" Gong Yoo informed happily.
 

However, the frown on her face still lingered. She felt herself stiffen up. 'Should i do this? But the curiosity is killing me! This guy in front of me may be the very person whom i have been longing to see!'
 

"Didi?" Elder Gong probed, genuinely concerned at the distorted expression on her face. "Is anything the problem?"
 

"Uncle Gong... were you the only best friend that my mother had?" She said carefully.
 

She noticed that Gong Yoo had visibly stiffened.
 

"Ah... that." Gong Yoo uttered. "I've asked dad about it..." He spoke slowly as if walking through a floor splattered with shattered glass bits. "He says your mother has a few best friends she hung out with..."
 

Didi heaved a sigh of relief even though she had already known the truth from her mother' diary, but spiked into a gasp when Gong Yoo continued, "But dad is the only guy in the group."
 

She turned sharply to look into Gong Yoo's eyes. He knows. He realised as well.
 

"Kids? What's with the secret that you guys are hiding?" Elder Gong queried, not catching onto what the youngsters are talking about.
 

Gong Yoo glanced at Didi. She was having a look of hesitation; she wanted to ask. But she didn't know how to. She exchanged glances with him. 'Help me'.
 

He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. "Dad. Were you with Didi's mother? As in, were you dating her?"
 

The smile in Elder Gong's eyes faded instantly.
 

"How did you guys know?"
 

Didi was almost crumbling down. On one hand, she was extremely happy that Uncle Gong, someone she had come to like and respect, is her father. But, she was confused. And upset. She wanted to know what exactly happened.
 

Gong Yoo is crumbling down as well. The girl of his dreams, the girl whom he wanted to have a future with, ended up becoming his sister.
 

Suddenly, he felt relieved that he hadn't confessed.
 

'Let this be a secret for forever.'
 

At least he really ended up becoming a family with her. Although not in the way he expected. Anyway, it wasn't him she wanted a future with; it was Yoochun.
 

"Dad..." He uttered, his head turning towards Didi. "Meet your daughter."
 

"What are you saying?" Elder Gong said, softly chuckling. "I've already been treating her as my daughter already."
 

"No, i mean for real. Didi is your real daughter." He explained, his hand placed on top of her hands, as if telling her that it is going to be alright. "Her mother and yours."
 

"B...but... she didn't tell me about it." Elder Gong whispered with shaky voice, turning to look at Didi with widened eyes. "Is this real?"
 

Didi didn't say anything, but had produced the diary that she had read the night before. Elder Gong took it and slowly read through the entries, his eyes not blinking even once.
 

Finally, he closed the book, almost speechless. "Y..you're my... daughter..."
 

"Why?" Didi finally uttered out that one word. "Why can't you marry my mother? Why push her away?"
 

It wasn't what she had wanted to say. She knew it was partially her mother's fault for not telling him. He wasn't aware of her existence. But it just reminded her of her situation with Yoochun. And it irked her.
 

"We had different viewpoints, Didi. We won't be happy with such differences. So we decided to part amicably." Uncle Gong explained sincerely, standing up to walk towards her.
 

He placed a hand onto her shoulder. "But i'm really happy that we have you, my daughter." He spoke earnestly. "Stay with us. I will take good care of you and make up for the lost times."
 

But Didi shrugged his hands off. "I'm sorry... right now i still can't accept the fact that you've become my father..."
 

With that, she stood up and walked out of the house, tugging her luggage together with her, leaving Elder Gong standing stunned.

 

 

"Didi, wait up!" Gong Yoo shouted out, running after Didi.
 

She stopped in her tracks.
 

"Didi, i know this must have come as a shock to you. Believe me, it shocked me as well." He said, huffing and puffing due to the lack of exercise. "But i believe dad should be given a chance to atone for his mistake. I mean, he wasn't even aware of it..."
 

"I know." Didi interrupted before he could say any further. "I just need some time... i don't actually hate him..."
 

A faint smile appeared on his face as he reached over to mess up hair. "So, you're my real sister huh? Call me oppa!"
 

Didi turned to stare at him. Soon, that stare turned soft. "I already did, Yooppa."
 

He grinned. "So, shall we go home now?"
 

She shook her head. "Not yet. I'm not mentally prepared."
 

"Silly girl, you know we will always welcome you with open arms." He chided, although he did not make any further attempts to push her back home. "Shall i send you back to Yoochun's home now?"
 

"No."
 

Gong Yoo looked at her with a curious expression. "Why?"
 

"We've broken up."
 

"What?"
 

He was tempted. Extremely tempted. He wanted to know why, but it wasn't his place to ask. Yes, he may be her brother now, but if she didn't want to tell, there was no way he should interfere... right?
 

He is still foreign to the idea of being a brother after all.
 

"So, what are you going to do now?" He asked. "You know i won't allow you to walk away without me knowing where you are staying at."
 

"I don't know." She confessed. "Maybe stay at a hotel or something."
 

Gong Yoo sighed. "Tell you what, i'll have you stay at one of my friend's house."
 

She nodded, knowing that it was the best solution.
 

He turned around and walked a small distance before whipping out his phone, followed by tapping a few buttons onto the screen. He then brought it to his ears.
 

"Yes... i remember your address... great, i'll bring her over right now... thanks." He mumbled, walking back to her once the main portion of the conversation was over.
 

Once he hung up, he took over her luggage. With a small smile, he glanced at her before saying, "Let's go?"
 

She nodded and followed after him.

 

 

"Jaejoong, thanks for letting Didi stay over for the time being." Gong Yoo thanked, patting him on his back.
 

"Didi doesn't have much friends here in Korea, and i feel that it's going to be weird if i send her to stay with my female friends. You know, it's better for her to be with someone she knows..." He started mumbling like a grandpa, not before ending with an inaudible 'It's all because of that nitwit Yoochun who takes up all of her time...'
 

A growl left his throat, the frown on his face not fading.
 

'Whatever the reason is, Yoochun is at fault.' He pouted, looking away from Jaejoong and Didi.
 

The initial symptom of an overprotective brother - siding with his sister no matter what.
 

“Don’t worry, she’s safe with me here.” Jaejoong replied, giving him a reassuring grin. “My house is even better than a hotel with all 3 meals included.” He joked.
 

Gong Yoo rolled his eyes, “Whatever,” He laughed, turning around to head for the door. “Didi, i’ll see you soon... right?” He asked, searching her eyes for confirmation.
 

She nodded. “See you soon.”
 

With that, Gong Yoo left the house.
 

Didi walked up to Jaejoong. “Thanks.” She muttered.
 

He shrugged, walking over to his couch and sat down lazily. Messing his hair and leaning his entire weight on his long grey couch, he covered his face with his arm. Silence engulfed the whole living room, with Didi standing still in her position.
 

“Do you want to talk about it?” Jaejoong’s muffled voice echoed eerily around the room. “You’ll feel better.”
 

“Huh?” Didi asked. ‘Which do you mean? The matter with my birth dad or with Yoochun? W..wait... he knows?’
 

“I heard from Gong Yoo. He’s your real brother huh?” He softly spoke looking up, in a voice that easily calmed Didi down. “It must be mentally draining for you.”
 

‘The thing about Yoochun and you must be solved between the two of you, i can’t really do anything but to be by your side and giving you mental support.’
 

Didi let out a soft chuckle. “So you know about them huh?” She asked, indirectly referring ‘them’ as both mess that she was currently in.
 

A look of understanding flashed between the two of them.
 

“Yeah.” Jaejoong replied, sitting up. He then patted the space beside him. “Want to talk about it?”


 

 

 

A/N (JY):

I CAN'T HELP IT. Jaejoong makes the perfect guy to confide in (in my humble opinion)