chapter 28

The Empty Space for You

Lying on her bed after her long and warm shower, Didi was finally rid of the accumulated fatigue that had been building up over the past few days of photoshoot.
 

She had wasted a few days of her break... working.
 

Feeling bored yet not tired enough to sleep anytime soon, she pulled out her phone and started scrolling through the pictures that she had taken over the past few days. The photo shoot venue, the Jimranban seaside dinner, the traditional market... and the selcas that they had taken at the park after they had visited her mother's grave.
 

Her eyes fell upon a particular photo that she had taken at the park. It is photo of herself, taken by Yoochun probably, judging by the angle. What caught her attention was the necklace on her neck.
 

The present from her mother.
 

Unconsciously, her hand reached for her pendent.
 

She missed her mother.
 

Suddenly, what Yoochun had said started replaying at the back of her mind.
 

“Then... maybe you could ask Uncle Gong about your father? He may know something about it?” He suggested, “Or... try checking your mother’s belongings. Who knows she may have your father’s picture.”
 

'That's right, maybe i should ask Uncle Gong about it. He may know something about my father.' She thought, exiting the gallery before hurriedly punching in some numbers.
 

But it turned out that Uncle Gong was out of town and wasn't free enough to accompany her for a bit of talk. Since Gong Yoo is idling around and doing nothing, she had decided to let him become the messenger in between them.
 

"Yooppa, has Uncle Gong mentioned anything about his close friends during his study at France? Other than my mother?" Didi couldn't help it, but to say that directly.
 

Gong Yoo seriously recalled for awhile in silence, before replying with a no. "We don't exactly speak about his school. I do have vague memories of my dad asking me if i would like to have a new mother when i was young though. You know, whenever he comes back for a short holiday from his studies."
 

"Hmm?" Didi wondered. She hesitated for a bit. "Your mother..."
 

"Divorced." He shrugged. "Abandoned us for another guy."
 

'Another broken family.' Didi thought at the back of her mind.
 

"Yooppa..."
 

"Hmm?"
 

"Will you shun away the idea of marriage just because you came from a broken family?" She asked, partially bothered by how similar the two guys in her life are.
 

"No way! I'm still looking forward to build a family of my own." Gong Yoo exclaimed, slightly agitated for some reason.
 

'And you could be the mother of our kids...'
 

"Really?" She giggled due to his strong reaction.
 

"Just because i don't have a complete family doesn't mean i can't have one on my own. In fact, i'm even more determined to make sure that my future family is complete and happy!" He explained.
 

"You should hang out with Yoochun more often to instill this mindset in him..." Didi mumbled under her breath.
 

"What did you just say? I didn't quite catch that."
 

"It's nothing." She replied, "I'm just tired."
 

"You should get some rest then..." Gong Yoo spoke, "I'll ask dad about it. It's important to you, right?"
 

Didi nodded, although she knew that he wouldn't be able to see it. "Yoochun brought up a good point. My mother once told me that my father is her best friend, and since Uncle Gong and her are best friends as well, he figured that he may know something about my dad."
 

“You seldom mention about your dad, but you’re in fact curious about who he is... right?” He asked.
 

“Yeah, i guess. It’s only normal for me to be curious.” She shrugged.
 

"What happens after you know who your father is?"
 

She shrugged. "I don't know. I just want to know how he looks like. Maybe find out the reason why he and my mother are not together."
 

Gong Yoo held back on his comment. 'What if he didn't want you?'
 

"You know, even though i grew up without a father, my mother kept telling me that he is a good person." She smiled, "Although she never explained any further."
 

"That's good to hear." Gong Yoo smiled.
 

It was then that Didi had noticed Yoochun's shadow by her door. He had just finished his shower and didn't actually want to interrupt on their conversation. She grinned.
 

"Anyway Yooppa, i have to go now." She said, her sight never leaving the door.
 

"Ok, i'll call you again soon alright?"
 

"Ok, good night!"
 

Didi grinned, looking at her phone before turning back to her door. "Yoochun, don't lurk outside my door. It's creepy."
 

She saw the shadow shuffling for a bit before a head peeked in. "You saw me outside? Do you have bionic eyes?"
 

"I saw your shadow." She replied, pointing to the floor.
 

Yoochun replied with a sheepish grin before it turned into a frown. He then walked briskly into the room and sat on the bed beside her, heaving a deep sigh.
 

"Yoochun? Why did you sigh?"
 

Yoochun did not reply, but had instead reached for the towel that was slinging on her shoulder. A slight tug brought her near to him before he started to help her dry her hair.
 

"Seriously, don't leave your hair wet like this. You're going to get a cold. Or a headache." He nagged, still concentrating on drying her hair.
 

Not satisfied that the towel is doing a bad job, he looked around to find her hair dryer and started to blow her hair dry. When it was done, he combed through her hair with his fingers, looking at the dry hair in self satisfaction.
 

"This is better." He grinned, putting the gadget back to its original place.
 

"I could have let it dry naturally you know?"
 

Yoochun frowned. "That's going to take a long time. You'll end up sleeping with wet hair again."
 

Didi shook her head, the smile on her face still on. "I wonder who is the personal assistant now."
 

Yoochun suddenly flinched at her words, remembering about something important that had been left undiscussed for a while.
 

"Didi?" He spoke, gently leading her to lean on his lap.
 

"Hmm?"
 

"Are you going to accept the apprentice opportunity?" He said in a soft voice, his eyes never leaving hers.
 

"I..." Didi stuttered, "It's tempting." She honestly replied, looking away. It was an opportunity of a lifetime, she couldn't just deny that she didn't want it.
 

But with Yoochun in the equation now, it's hard to decide.
 

‘Love or Career?’
 

"Go."
 

Didi looked up questioningly, placing her hand on his arm. "What did you just say?"
 

"I don't want to see my baby missing out on her big opportunity because of me." He said with a sincere smile, caressing her face with his hand. "This has been your dream, i want you to fulfill it."
 

"But i will be gone for a while. I don't know, a year or two... or maybe even longer." She said, "And it's not just a small distance like from Seoul to Busan. It's Seoul to France. It's super far... thousands and millions of miles..."
 

"5573."
 

"What?"
 

"The distance between Seoul and France. 5573 miles." He replied with a small sigh.
 

"Y..yeah. Exactly. It's so far."
 

Yoochun suddenly let out a soft chuckle, twirling her hair with his finger. "There's something called technology. We can message, call and video call each other."
 

"Aren't you afraid that i may just run off with some Paris guy?" She questioned, raising her eyebrow uncertainly.
 

"Well, i'll just have to work harder to catch you back." He shrugged, seemingly confident.
 

"You'd better." She warned jokingly. "I heard there are many really good looking guys there."
 

Turning on his side with a pout, he picked up her phone and passed it to her. "Here, better let Uncle Gong know about your decision before i change my mind."
 

Didi chuckled. "He's busy at the moment." She said, but paused to think for a while before starting to tap furiously on her phone. "I guess i’ll just drop him a message."
 

After a short while, she turned to lean on her side, leaving her phone beside them. "Paris!" She exclaimed excitedly.
 

But Yoochun wasn't as excited as her. "I'm going to miss you so much." He confessed.
 

"Too late." She grinned.
 

"I know." He pouted and leaned down for a quick peck on her cheeks. "I'm going to miss these little kisses though."