chapter 14

The Empty Space for You

"So, how was the movie?" He asked, leading her out of the movie theatre as his hand stayed faithfully on her back. "It's pretty good, right?"
 

She nodded. "I'm glad we chose this movie after all, it seriously looked boring from the posters."
 

"That's why, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover." He chuckled, grabbing her wrist as they made their way out of the building.
 

"Fine, i'm sorry for judging. Tell that to your friend who acted as the male lead, and that he is so hot." She added purposefully, making him cringe.
 

"You did not just say that my friend is hot." He scrunched his face. "That's really... weird, seeing you fanboying over my friend..."
 

She giggled, hugging his arm. "It can't be helped, Yooppa. Most of your friends are either actors or actresses."
 

"That's true..." He considered, tapping his finger on his chin.
 

"So it's perfectly fine for me to be spazzing over your friends!"
 

"You little imp." He chuckled, ruffling her semi messy hair, before pointing to the ice cream shop across the street. "Shall we get some ice cream?"
 

She didn't nod her head, but had instead started running towards the cute looking ice cream parlour.
 

"So, how's work?" Gong Yoo asked, scooping a spoon full of strawberry ice cream and putting it in front of Didi's mouth. "Still coping well i hope?"
 

Didi nodded, leaning forward to take the bite. "I guess so. It's quite fun come to think of it, although irritating at times." She rolled her eyes, thinking about how the big kid had bothered her to make him his breakfast before she was allowed to go out of the house.
 

Unknowingly, a smile had appeared on her face, recalling of how stubborn yet cute he looked (for a wrong reason such as getting pancakes early in the morning).
 

"Let's not talk about me, how's your work?" She interrupted her own mind, asking the guy in front of her about his work instead.
 

"It's been pretty hectic, i don't even have time to return home anymore," He complained, "And i'm heading off for my Asian Fanmeet Tour soon."
 

"Uncle Gong misses you alot, at least give him a call once in awhile." She reminded, recalling of her latest lesson with him.
 

Uncle Gong had constantly complained about why can’t Didi be his daughter instead of having Gong Yoo as his son. She had constantly accompanied him despite Yoochun’s hectic schedules, unlike Gong Yoo who could hardly be seen except for on screens.
 

He nodded. "Will remember to do that tonight."
 

Didi's order was finally served. She picked up her fork and knife, and started cutting her ice cream waffle.
 

"Looks good." Gong Yoo commented.
 

"Yeah, it's not bad." She munched happily, "Yoochun made me make waffles with ice cream the other day too..." She absentmindedly blurted out her thoughts. "Ah."
 

Gong Yoo grinned. "That's so rude of you, thinking of another guy when you are on a date with this hot hunk here..." He said wiggling his right eyebrow.
 

Didi rolled her eyes, exasperated at Gong Yoo's cheekiness.
 

"Slip of the tongue." She mumbled.
 

"Speaking about that, i'm surprised that he still hasn't interrupted us." He wondered, tapping his fingers on his chin again. "He always does that whenever you are on your break, doesn't he? My dad noticed that whenever you are over at our house too..."
 

Didi gave him a horrified look. "Oh no, don't mention it! It'll jinx us!"
 

Too late.
 

Both of them eyed the ringing phone on the table.
 

"See, you jinxed us. Now i have to work on my day off." She grumbled, pushing her phone away from her using her index finger.
 

"No, it's Kang who is calling." Gong Yoo insisted, pointing at the phone screen indicating the name 'Manager Kang'.
 

"A month supply worth of tidbits says it's Yoochun."
 

"Deal." He said, hooking their pinkies as a sign of their agreement.
 

Didi gave him a grin that says 'get the snacks ready soon' before she puts it on loudspeaker after checking that there were no other customers near them.
 

"Didi, get back to JYJ's base at our home right now, we have a problem with the costumes!"
 

It was obviously Yoochun's voice.
 

Didi mouthed towards Gong Yoo, 'See, i told you so.'
 

‘Maybe Kang asked Yoochun to call you using his phone?’ He mouthed back.
 

Didi rolled her eyes with a muffled chuckle. ‘Sore loser.’
 

"Yoochun, why are you calling me using Kang's phone?" She asked nevertheless so that Gong Yoo could surrender the one month worth of snacks more willingly.
 

There was silence right after.
 

"Yoochun?" She called out, wondering why there was a pause.
 

"Ah! I guess i used Kang's phone by mistake!" He explained.
 

'JYJ Base?' Gong Yoo mouthed, wondering what that is.
 

'It's a room in Yoochun's house where the boys usually hang out at. We use it as a storage or preparation room for events occasionally.' She mouthed back, making sure that Yoochun won’t be able to hear her.
 

'I see...' He nodded.
 

"But Yoochun, i'm not working today." She replied, cutting and eating another piece of her waffle.
 

"I know, your date right? But we are facing a dire situation right now, so please come back right now?"
 

She faked a huge sigh. "Alright... i'll be..."
 

That's when she heard some whisperings on the background.
 

“Yoochun ah, ask her to bring back some food! I'm hungry!”
 

“Aish Jaejoong, lower your volume, she'll hear you!”
 

“Chicken! Chicken!”
 

“Shut up, Junsu!”
 

"Help me ask Junsu if he wants spicy or fried chicken." Didi asked as if it was an everyday conversation.
 

"What?" Yoochun stuttered.
 

"Yoochun, i heard the boys in the background." She chuckled.
 

There was another pause with muffled talks in the background.
 

"...He wants fried chicken." Yoochun replied shortly after.
 

"Be there in thirty."
 

Hanging up the phone, she glanced at him with the 'i told you so' look once again.
 

Gong Yoo shook his head in amusement. "Do you want Jagabee or Nachos?"



 

"I smell chicken!" Junsu exclaimed happily as he rushed towards the door and opened it.
 

Yoochun, although appearing to be unconcerned, discreetly turned around to see if Junsu was right.
 

True enough, it was Didi holding a few boxes of chicken. Behind her was Gong Yoo who had decided to tag along to the house. He was helping her carry the drinks.
 

"Junsu, i've bought a few flavours of chicken." She told him, raising the bags higher to let him have a sniff of it. Junsu cheered happily.
 

"Junsu, don't just keep standing there and clapping your hands if you want to eat." Jaejoong laughed, walking up to them and getting the bags from her before placing them on the table. "You spoil us too much sometimes, Didi." He said, opening the boxes and offering a random piece of chicken to her.
 

She shook her head. "I'm still hungry, i've just eaten ice cream earlier on."
 

"How about you, Gong Yoo?" He offered.
 

Gong Yoo nodded thankfully and went over to join them in the feasting.
 

From the corner of her eyes, Didi could see Yoochun scanning through some music scores.
 

She smiled. 'I knew it, he's asking me home for no good reason.'
 

But somehow, she doesn't hate it.
 

Strolling over with a plate of chicken, she placed it in front of him on the table. "So, where's Kang?"
 

"Left." He muttered, not looking at her. “Went for gown fitting session with his fiancee. He’s getting married, do you know?”
 

"I suppose the 'dire situation' is solved?" She asked, ignoring the latter question. How could she not know? Kang had been boasting to everyone he sees ever since his proposal was a success a month ago.
 

He nodded, his eyes not leaving the music scores, although it was obvious that his eyes were fixed on a certain section for at least a few minutes by now.
 

"Eat." She requested, pushing the plate nearer to him.
 

He shook his head. "I'm not hungry yet."
 

"At least eat a little. I bet that the last meal you ate were the pancakes from breakfast." She nudged, picking up a piece of chicken and putting it in front of him. "Besides, it's really good."
 

At last, he unwillingly took a bite on it, a smile appearing on his face soon after. "You're right, it's nice."
 

Didi smiled. "Ok, enjoy your meal then, i'll be with the guys."
 

He pulled her back and made her sit on the chair beside her. "Let's share the food. I can't finish them all by myself."
 

She shook her head. "No, i'm not hungry."
 

"If i'm not wrong, your last decent meal were the pancakes this morning."
 

She nodded, amused at his attempt of using her words to backfire on herself. "But i had popcorn and ice cream waffles after that too."
 

He clicked his tongue. It has definitely backfired, but on him.
 

He then picked up a piece of chicken and waved it in front of her. "Not enough, you should eat more as well. Besides, it's really good."
 

‘Clever, real clever.’
 

"Alright," She laughed, taking a bite right out of the chicken in his hand. "Satisfied now?"
 

Yoochun nodded, unable to hide the smile that came out of its hiding place.
 

Looking over at where the other three guys were wolfing down the chicken at, Yoochun couldn't help but ask, "So, your date is Gong Yoo?"
 

She nodded. "A friendly date." She grinned, "Until you decided to spoil my day."
 

"Blame Kang!"
 

"Alright, alright..."