chapter 25

The Empty Space for You

“Where are we, where are we?” Yoochun chimed happily as he pulled Didi straight ahead into the crowd, his hand interlocked in her arm. “It’s so busy even at this time of the day!”
 

Didi had apparently been pulled out her bed even before the dawn arrived. To think she was on his break. Supposedly.
 

"Strolling around at the traditional market." Didi answered, holding his hand tightly just in case he gets lost. She wasn't confident that she could find him amidst the crowds. "Stay close to me."
 

‘It’s so early. I could certainly make do with a few more hours of sleep...’ She mumbled.
 

The bustling activity around him, the noise created, soon awaken her, as she noticed that he had started to observe his surroundings in awe, gawking like a kid whenever he sees interesting items being sold.
 

“Yoochun?”
 

“Hmm?”
 

“Shouldn’t you be resting before your photoshoot?” 
 

Yoochun gave a little shrug before looking away embarrassed. “Is it a crime for someone to want to be with his girlfriend at all times?”
 

She literally choked on her own saliva. Coughing a little to mask away her embarrassment, she started speaking, “It’s not, but Kang will probably commit a crime aka murder me if you show up tomorrow tired.”
 

“Don’t mind him.” He pouted. “He’ll have to get through me if he wants to lay even a finger on you.”
 

Didi rolled her eyes. “Sweet, real sweet.”
 

“As thanks for my sweet gesture, you shall come by tomorrow for my photoshoot.” He smiled, giving her a knowing wink before tapping his finger on the tip of her nose. After which, he proceeded to walk to another stall to check out the items displayed on the mat.
 

“What? No! I’m on my break!” Didi complained, but Yoochun is already over and done with the topic. He is choosing to ignore, indirectly leaving Didi with no choice by to accept the agreement.
 

"Di, what's that?" Yoochun asked excitedly, pointing at the different types of vegetables. 
 

"Wild vegetables i guess?" She shrugged, not very sure about it either since she wasn't an early riser either, and hence did not have the habit of following her mother to the market to learn about peculiar foods.
 

"Why are the ladies carrying those baskets on top of their head?"
 

"To make it easier to carry?" Didi guess, lifting and slumping her shoulders, signifying that she doesn't know either.
 

"Do you know how to carry it like that?" Yoochun asked, turning to look at her in anticipation.
 

Didi gave him a blank look before strolling deeper into the market to find what she was looking for.
 

"Woah, they have practically everything here, it's just like the markets in Korea!" He commented, pulling out his phone to take some pictures by then.
 

He wasn't the type to go for sightseeing during working trips; he would rather stay in the comfort of his hotel bed and surf the net. Either that or to read a book. Or manga. But having her with him, he would throw away his everything just to go out with her more to create more memories.
 

“Come on,” Didi said, tugging his hand forward towards a vendor selling flowers. Yoochun obediently followed right after her.
 

“You’re buying flowers?” He asked, checking out the bundles of flowers that were being sold. 
 

Didi nodded, reaching forward to pick up a few stalks of pastel blue flower balls. “I’m visiting my mother in a while, do you want to come with me?”



 

It was silent, but it was a comfortable silence. Both Didi and Yoochun stood side by side, hand in hand as they looked straight at the concrete slab in front of them. 
 

Didi’s mother.
 

There were no conversations between them, and Didi was grateful for that. She gently pulled away from his grip before starting to clean up the well maintained grave.
 

“The attendant really does his job well.” Yoochun commented, hoping to ease the tension in the atmosphere.
 

Didi let out a small smile. “I don’t think so. It should be Mrs Wu’s work.” She replied, pointing to the flowers that was displayed at the side.
 

Yoochun nodded in understanding. “The lady who thought that i am a fugitive.”
 

“Yes, her.” Didi chuckled. 
 

The atmosphere was instantly lifted.
 

Yoochun observed the wordings on the concrete slab. His gaze slowly went to the photo that was pasted on top of the wordings.
 

“You look like your mother.”
 

Didi looked up with a ‘durh’ look. “I am my mother’s daughter, thank you very much.”
 

“I mean, you’ve inherited your mother’s beautiful genes.” He smiled before squatting down beside her to help her with the cleaning.
 

Didi smiled, but did not say anything else.
 

“You know,” Yoochun suddenly said, looking up from whatever he was doing. “Maybe i should wait for you over at the side.” He said, standing up and patting the imaginary dust away. 
 

Didi glanced at him in confusion.
 

“You must have a lot to tell your mother, and me being here makes it inconvenient for you to tell her.” He said with a knowing smile. He patted her hair and gave her a cute grin.
 

“Thank you, Yoochun.” She uttered, reaching out to hold his hand in hers tightly. 
 

After a while, he pulled away and walked away to a considerable distance. Not too near to be able to listen in to their conversation, but not too far so that he could still observe her from a distance.
 

To make sure that she would be alright.
 

Didi turned her view back towards her mother. Reaching forward to trace the small picture of her mother with her fingers, she smiled.
 

“Mummy, How have you been? Is heaven a great place? Have you settled down already? Oh, who am i kidding, you’re such a lovable person, i’m sure you have made loads of friends up there. I wonder if you have met up with my grandparents... well, maybe not. They may have reincarnated.” She started speaking, looking up in the sky, as if trying to see if she could find any traces of her behind the clouds.
 

Feeling her legs starting to go numb, she slightly adjusted her position, hugging her knees with her arms and leaning forward. Her gaze was still towards her mother's’ picture.
 

“I’ve gone to Korea as ordered by you, and i’ve met up with Uncle Gong. He’s a great guy! I can totally understand why the both of you are friends! He’s a great uncle and a mentor. Sometimes, i even secretly imagine him as the father i didn’t get to meet - but let’s leave it as that. It’s so embarrassing!” She chuckled, covering her cheeks before starting to fan them due to the embarrassment. 
 

“Yooppa, his son is a great oppa to me as well! He’s just like the brother i’ve always wanted but never had. He has the brightest personality, although it is not reflected in his IQ. “ She grinned, “Oh well, god is fair.”
 

Turning towards the direction where Yoochun went to for a split second and back, she inched nearer to her mother’s picture and whispered, “And... are you curious about the guy who is standing over there? I bet you are. Right, right?” She teased, 
 

“How should i introduce him?” She pondered, tapping her fingers on her chin, “He’s my employer.”
 

With a small chuckle right after a few seconds of silence, she said, “Mummy, i can practically see you roll your eyes! Ok fine, meet Park Yoochun, my boyfriend!” She grinned, “He’s so mean to me. I mean, which boyfriend bickers with his girlfriend endlessly? He’s stubborn as well. But... you know, he treats me really well. Like, really. Ain’t i contradictory?”
 

A smile sincere smile made its way to her face. 
 

“Isn’t he handsome? He’s an artiste, a musician, an actor. He has looks that kills thousands (maybe millions) of people. Young, old, male, female. Just one look from him and the entire population is wiped out. Look at his smile... oh wait, he’s not smiling.” She said after turning towards to him to check and back.

 

“He’s smart, he’s funny, he’s caring, he’s not afraid to show his affection. He knows exactly what he wants.” She grinned, listing out the small things that she noticed in him. “Do you know, he has already planned out his entire life? All he’s doing right now is to act out as planned accordingly. Can you believe it?”
 

However, the grin fell soon after. “But mummy, i don’t think he has me in his life plan. Well, to give him the benefit of doubt, i haven’t even met him when he made this so called life plan. Jaejoong, his soul mate, told me that i will definitely be included soon. Will he? Mummy, should i ask him about it?”
 

She sighed, hugging her knee once again. Tightly.
 

She remained in that position for a while, thinking. But her mind was blank.
 

Remembering that there was something else she had to inform her mother about, she bent her head down such that her chin is on her knee. “Mummy, Uncle Gong connected me to a very good opportunity. Remember your mentor in France? He gave me the chance to learn right under him, as his apprentice, at his new cakery in France. Isn’t that great? I haven’t decided if i should accept this though. Should i? But that would mean that i will have to leave everything i have in Korea behind...”
 

She hesitated. 
 

“Mummy, what should i do?”