chapter 24

The Empty Space for You

“Dear passengers, we have successfully arrived at the Ngurah Rai Airport, Bali. Thank you for travelling with us and we hope you will have an enjoyable day.” The captain’s voice echoed over the intercom, gently waking up the sleeping figure who was comfortably tucked until the blanket that the stewardess had provided her with. She twitched a little before going back to sleep.
 

“Mum, just a few more minutes...’’ She mumbled, pulling the blanket nearer to her neck.
 

“Miss, are you awake?” A stewardess gently nudged her a little while later, noticing that she was one of the few passengers still left on the plane. “We have arrived...”
 

“Hmm?” She groaned, finally waking up from her sleep. She rubbed her eyes. “We have arrived?”
 

The stewardess nodded with a small giggle. “Do you need me to prepare some coffee for you? You look out of it.”
 

She blushed, her fingers quickly brushing over her puffy eyes.
 

She had cried just hours before the flight. But she wasn’t going to admit it.
 

“It’s ok, i’m fine.” She managed with a smile before sitting up from her reclined chair to brush her bed hair away. “Thanks for waking me up!”
 

“Don’t mention it!” She replied with a chuckle. “Here for a holiday?”
 

She shook her head before standing up to retrieve her hand carry bag from the storage cabin on top. “Returning home!”
 

The stewardess revealed a knowing smile, one that showed understanding. “Welcome home then?”
 

Didi grinned. “Thanks!”



 

Moments later, she was already on a cab and heading for home. The home that she and her mother had been living together in before her decision to leave for Korea.
 

Her homeland is still the same as when she left.
 

Looking out of the cab, she started giggling to herself when she saw the all familiar sign, saying, ‘Bali is My Life’.
 

“Miss, returning from a trip?” The taxi driver asked, initiating a conversation since it was quiet.
 

Didi nodded with a smile. “A long trip.”
 

“Oh, how was it?” He asked once again, “You must be missing home a lot?”
 

She looked towards the taxi driver’s direction. Realisation struck her.
 

‘That’s right, i should be missing home a lot. But...’
 

She really did miss her home, her homeland. But at the back of her mind, she knew that there is another place she had slowly made her second home. Seoul.
 

She chuckled to herself. It is a nice realisation, knowing that there are two places that she is looking forward to returning home to. Twice the happiness.
 

“Yes, i’m missing home.” She replied, continuing to look out of the window. The taxi driver then left her to enjoy the good day outside.
 

“Well, i hope you’ll have a nice day!” The taxi driver said, turning into a familiar road a while after. He stopped and helped her carry her luggage out.
 

“Thank you! You have a nice day too!” She said before turning her back and walking into her home sweet home.
 

“I’m home!” She shouted happily, throwing herself onto her couch and started rolling about. She was either too agitated, or too hyperactive, for it had caused her to roll onto the floor instead.
 

Another chuckle left , as she eventually stood up to her well stocked kitchen.
 

‘Didi ah, welcome home! I’m sorry about not being able to pick you up from the airport. By the way, i’ve stocked up your kitchen with goodies so that you won’t have to starve! I’ll be dropping by tomorrow, see you then!
 

Mrs Wu’
 

Didi smiled to herself, reading the short but heartwarming note.
 

Mrs Wu was their maid previously before her mother left her, and before she left her homeland. She had been living in their neighbourhood, and had since frequently stopped by their house to do some maintenance like cleaning and checking that the house is in good order when Didi left Bali.
 

Didi took out a bottle of fruit juice from the fridge and took a few sips, walking out to the living room.
 

‘What shall i do today? Should i just laze around at home?’ She thought. She had two weeks to spare.
 

She caught sight of the photos that were hung on the wall. One of which was a photo taken when she was at the beach with her mother.
 

‘Why not?’ She grinned. ‘A lazy day at the beach sounds good.’
 

With that thought in mind, she immediately changed into a comfortable attire and strolled out of her house, with both her mind and hands empty except for a few creased notes so that she could have her dinner outside at the same time.
 

The day quickly ended for Didi, as she tiredly walked back from her dinner and stroll at the beach. It was a place full of memories, it was a place she grew up at, it was a place for her to sort her thoughts out..


 

How long has it been since Didi last naturally woke up? She couldn’t remember. That was why when Didi had waken up the next day, a wide grin was spreaded all over her face.
 

It had been hectic for the past few months, or even years.
 

“Good morning world!” She beamed, rolling onto her stomach as she reaches out for her neglected phone.

 

A giggle muffled through . ‘I have picked up on a bad habit from Yoochun.’
 

That giggle was instantly replaced with worry. ‘I wonder if he is still angry with me... he didn’t even send me off to the airport yesterday...’
 

“Let’s not think about him for today!” Didi suddenly told herself, trying to lift her mood up. She keyed in her password for her phone, thinking of planning her own itinerary for the day when she realised something.
 

“Why do i have so many missed calls?” She wondered aloud, stunned at the number of missed called she had on her phone. ‘Who is looking for me so urgently?’
 

Just as she was about to check who was the caller in case it really was an emergency, the same number called once again. Feeling the panic, she picked it up immediately.
 

“Hello?” She spoke into the phone urgently, “Who is this?”

 

“Yah!”
 

Didi froze. ‘Whoever is this, is so rude. But, why does this voice sound familiar?’
 

“Yah! You there?” The voice boomed out of the phone once again.
 

“Y..yes?”
 

“You! How could you run away from your boss without tell me anything!”
 

“Urm... Y..Yoochun?”
 

“Yes! Me! And i’m not done yet! Since when are you so lazy? The sun is already high up in the sky and you’re just waking up? I don’t remember you being so lazy!”
 

“It’s only 10am...” Didi mumbled, slowly walking out of her bed and doing light stretches. “Why are you calling anyway? Didn’t you ask me to go away?”
 

“Open the door!” He exclaimed, almost shouting.
 

“What? Whatever for?” She asked, although she did what was being asked; opening the door to her room. “What’s there?”
 

“Open the door to your house! I’ve been waiting outside your house for so long, and this lady from across the street has been staring at me from her garden as if i’m a thief!” He replied, his voice sounding less angry and more panicking instead.
 

“She’s staring at me again,” He said in almost an urgent whisper, “Hurry please!”
 

Didi blinked, looking down at the living room from outside her room. ‘He’s here?’
 

Without thinking twice, she dashed down and towards the door immediately. A turn at the door knob revealed a tall young man in a white V top and a pair of faded jeans.
 

“You’re finally here!” He said, smiling.

 

Didi froze in her place once again, with her jaws so wide that it almost dropped to the floor. ‘Didi, are you daydreaming? Or are you still in your dreams? Or... hallucination?’
 

She did the first thing that went through her mind.
 

Slam!
 

“Yah! Didi it’s me! Open the door!” The young lad called out, knocking frantically on the door.
 

She opened the door.
 

“Hi!” He smiled and waved to her.
 

“Who are you? You look like Yoochun, but no, you must not be him. He definitely isn’t in front of my house right at this moment.” Didi started rambling at the Yoochun lookalike. ‘I’ve read that there are 7 people who looks like you in the world, but i do not expect myself to meet one!’
 

“What are you rambling on about?” He replied, poking at the lines in between her eyebrows, trying to smoothen it. “Let me in, i’m so thirsty. Is it summer here now?”
 

‘Who’s the one rambling here?’ She mentally questioned herself.
 

Seeing that she had no intention to let him in, he went ahead to invite himself in, gently pushing her a little to her side so that he had the space to walk in.
 

‘What?’ She almost shouted mentally.
 

“Didi, are you alright? Who is that?” A matured female voice went nearer to where the both of them were standing at. She looked at Didi with a concerned look before turning towards the young lad, giving him a suspicious look over.
 

“Do you know him? Do you need me to call the police or something?” She asked in a low whisper near her ears, looking warily at him. “He has been peeking from outside for the past two hours or so...”
 

“Urm, it’s ok Mrs Wu...” Didi finally replied. “I know him.” She murmured. ‘I think.’

 

“Oh, alright then. Let me know if you need any help.” She said before walking back to her house, not before giving him a warning glare.
 

“Phew!” He heaved a sigh of relief once Mrs Wu was away from them. He then casually strolled inside the house, plopping himself onto the couch. “Finally away from the heat!”
 

“Park Yoochun, what are you doing here?” She started speaking once she was sure that the figure in front of her wasn’t a hallucination. She stood in front of him with her hands tucked comfortably at both sides of her waist. “How do you know where i live? How did you even get here?”
 

He sat upright upon hearing her rambling, his grin getting wider and wider. When she was done with her mini interrogation, he opened his mouth to reply.
 

“Wow, it’s so cozy here!” He exclaimed happily, sitting back on the couch comfortably, “Are you living here alone? Isn’t there anyone else here?”
 

“Yah! Why are you ignoring my questions? I’m asking you...”
 

“Aaaaaaaaaaaa!” He suddenly singsong, covering his ears at the same time.
 

Didi went speechless seeing how childish he looked right at the moment.
 

When he was sure that Didi was quiet, he continued speaking, releasing his hands from his ears. “Give me a break, i almost died of dehydration.”
 

“As if i care about whether you are alive or dead.” She grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest.
 

“You do care, that’s why you injured yourself while getting my medicine to me, right?” He smirked, wrapping his arms around her waist tightly and snuggling his face on her stomach.
 

“So says the ingrate.” She uttered, looking away and completely ignoring his skinship.
 

“Didi...”
 

“Hmmph!”
 

“Baby Di...”
 

“... I demand for an apology.” She muttered, silently scolding herself for being so weak hearted.
 

A real, sincere smile finally appeared on Yoochun’s face.
 

“Of course an apology is essential!” He agreed, pulling her to sit on his lap. “How do you want me to apologise to you?” He asked, gently back hugging her as if she is a fragile item.
 

“How should i know?” She stuttered.
 

“I know.” He grinned.
 

He started to leave butterfly kisses across her cheeks. With each peck, he muttered a soft ‘I’m sorry’ along with it. Finally, it ended with a soft kiss on her lips.
 

“I’m really sorry, Didi. Forgive me please?” He asked sincerely, looking intently into her eyes.
 

“Ok...” She said, a small smile escaping from the corners of . How could she stay angry at him for long anyway?
 

“Great!” He cheered, “And now for the next thing...” He said, patting the seat beside him.
 

Catching his drift, she moved to sit beside him. “What is it?”
 

His hands slowly made its way towards her face, with them hovering around her ears. Then...
 

“Yah! Were you out of your mind? Why did you fly away to your homeland without informing me?!” He yelled, tweaking both her ears angrily.
 

“Yah! I’ve already told you before! I’ve even inputted it into your calendar!” She yelled back, pushing his hands away and rubbing her red and sore ears.
 

“What a bully...” She pouted, giving him the evil glare.
 

“Really?” He asked, blinking a few times while trying to recall if it did happened.
 

Didi clicked her tongue in unhappiness. “You never care, as always.”
 

“Baby Di...” He mumbled apologetically.
 

“How did you find me anyway?” She interrupted, holding her palm facing his face.
 

“Kang. He was the one who gave me your Indonesian number.” He replied, bringing her hand down and intertwined her fingers with his. “Actually i flied here with him.”
 

“Hmm?”
 

“By some twist of fate, my ELLE photoshoot has been changed to Bali!” He announced happily, “Kang has a few matters to do with regards to the photo shoot right now, thank god. If not, he will be in this house with me right now...” He mumbled.

 

“What? I don’t get you.. you... photoshoot... here...”
 

“Yes! And i’ll be staying here!” He grinned.
 

“What?”