Ch.05 - Night Lecture of History

Prey

Taeyeon gasped in a shock. Sunny was pretty surprised too and actually even Yuri looked like she didn’t know about this.

“T-Tiffany?” Taeyeon repeated. “This… is Tiffany? The girl who was trying to kill me, but now she’s helping me?”

BoA nodded. “That’s her. Your parents and her parents were friends.”

“Oh…” Taeyeon just said. She wasn’t sure how to react to this information.

“She doesn’t know about anything. She probably doesn’t even know her father was murdered by his own clan,” BoA said.

“She’s a…. half slayer?” Yuri asked.

BoA slowly nodded. “Yes. That’s why she’s kind of special. Stronger than usual vampires.”

“And you’re telling me only now?” Yuri shrieked.

“I had no idea they would send her to kill Taeyeon,” BoA said. “I realized only then when you called me, informing me about the attack on Taeyeon few days ago. And then… You know what happened after that right?”

“Oh, right…” Yuri slightly blushed, embarrassed and looked down.

“You didn’t wait for me to confirm everything, you just went to kill her on her own, without knowing anything.”

“Yeah, I know it was a mistake…” Yuri mumbled.

BoA chuckled a bit. “Even got confronted with a Jung… Stupid Yuri…”

“I’m sorry,” Yuri whispered.

“Never mind. It doesn’t matter anymore. Taeyeon is safe and that’s the only thing important… We have to find out more about Tiffany though… Why would she help Taeyeon? I don’t trust her. Do you think we should trust her?”

Yuri reminded quiet and then she shrugged.

BoA frowned and looked at Taeyeon. “Well, do you trust her?”

“….I do.”

 

 

Taeyeon yawned and rubber her growling stomach. She was tired and hungry. And bored. She was in Yoona’s room. The poor maknae of this unusual family had to give her her room. BoA ordered it to her and although Yoona tried to look like she doesn’t care at all, she obviously wasn’t really happy about sharing the room with Yuri. Oh, that’s right. Yuri didn’t sleep at her office anymore. She didn’t have any reason anymore since Taeyeon was here at her… museum.

Taeyeon was lying in Yoona’s bed. The room was really nice, but it had no windows. She understood these rooms are under the ground, but she still found it a bit disturbing; it was like a luxurious prison. She gulped when she realized this actually is a prison for her.

This whole situation just seemed to be absurd. Let’s sum it up. So, she is a half vampire. Another vampires want to kill her, but for some reason their main killer isn’t willing to do that. Then there’s this bunch of weird vampire hunters, who are helping her as well. Simply absurd.

Her stomach kept growling, since she didn’t eat any dinner. She checked the clock. 3AM. Maybe she could look for a kitchen. There has to be one somewhere. So she sneaked out of her room. Everything was creepily quiet and the living room was filled with darkness except for the dim light from Yoona’s room, since Taeyeon didn’t turn off the lamp. She touched the wall, looking for some light switch. She couldn’t find it, so she took out her cell phone to light the path a little bit and headed towards the main corridor.

Suddenly, her cell phone enlightened a creepy white face.

“Eeeeek!” Taeyeon shrieked as she looked into those huge eyes staring at her from a really close distance. She took two abrupt steps back and dropped her phone. Then she tripped over something and fell down. A cracking sound echoed.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Yoona asked, frowning.

“Yoona! You scared me!” Taeyeon gasped, breathing heavily.

“Yeah, that’s exactly what I wanted to do when I noticed you sneaking around.”

“That was just evil,” Taeyeon complained while getting up. “You almost gave me a heart-attack.”

“Let’s see what you broke,” Yoona said, turning on the lights. Taeyeon was immediately blinded by the sharp light and she had to wink several times. Otherwise she would probably tear up. When her eyes got used to the sudden change, she looked at the thing she fell on.

“Awww, man… Look at this,” she whined while picking up the pieces of her cell phone.

”You broke it with your huge ,” Yoona chucked.

“Well, excuse me! Aish, hope I’ll be able to fix it,” Taeyeon mumbled and tried to put the pieces back together.

“Ah, give it to me, I’ll get it fixed for you,” Yoona said, taking the components from Taeyeon. “Now tell me, you still haven’t answered me. Where were you going?” she asked again.

“Kitchen, I’m hungry,” Taeyeon shrugged.

Yoona chuckled a bit. “I was just on my way there too. Let’s go together, okay?”

 

The two girls were back in the living room, sitting on a couch. Taeyeon was peeking at Yoona while sipping her hot chocolate and slowly munching the biscuits. Yoona was doing the same. Except for the peeking part. She was immersed in some really deep thoughts. Or at least that’s what Taeyeon thought. In fact, Yoona was just thinking about the videogame she had played with Jiyong earlier. There must be a way how to beat him…

“Don’t look at me that way,” she then said. “It’s making me uncomfortable.”

Taeyeon quickly looked away and cleared . She had no idea Yoona was aware of her staring. “Sorry,” she just mumbled. “Didn’t mean to.”

“You’re confused, right?”

“Uhh… yeah, a little bit.”

“Don’t lie.”

“Very confused.”

Yoona smiled a bit and nodded. “You don’t know anything, right? I get it… I understand, it must be confusing for you.”

“Mhm… yeah,” Taeyeon admitted. “I mean… what the hell is going on? I don’t get it at all. I don’t even know why they want to kill me.”

“I will… tell you something… unless you’d rather sleep.”

Taeyeon quickly shook her head. “I’m wide awake! Tell me everything please.”

Yoona pouted a bit and it took her a few seconds to start. “I… don’t know everything. But… I can tell you some general things.”

“Please, at least something,” Taeyeon begged.

“Okay… so… let me start with some history…”

 

 

“Vampires have been on this planet for many many centuries already. The legend says that the first vampire was a boy called Choi. He was a prince’s best friend. The prince fell in love with a poor girl, but she didn’t love him back. So the prince destroyed the whole village and killed her family in a really brutal way. Prince’s best friend Choi got blamed for the act and eventually, he got sentenced to death and got executed. They cut his throat and let him bleed to death. The legend says he was bleeding a lot. All of his blood leaked out of his body. And that’s why vampires drink blood. This is also the reason why they cut people throats to kill them although they could just use their teeth. They do it because of Choi. Because he got executed for a crime he hadn’t done, he came back to life to take revenge. He was a living corpse and couldn’t handle a day light. So he lived in the woods and drank blood of wolfs. Later he finally took his revenge. He killed that selfish prince and all of his blood. He also found out he can transfer humans into the same creatures he was, but they weren’t that strong at all. So he some women and got them pregnant. And that’s how the vampires started to reproduce. Some of them later chose their own path, but usually, they didn’t last long. The Wolf clan, as Choi’s descendants started to call themselves, got rid of them. Eventually, after many centuries, four strong clans remained. Wolf clan of course, Bear clan, Leopard clan and Fox clan.”

Taeyeon was listening with slightly opened. Yoona said she didn’t know a lot. What a liar…

“Bear clan was really strong, but not very independent. They were the first ones to extinct. Leopard clan was strong, independent, smart. But they didn’t have many members, since the clans used to be dependent on the blood of their animals and let’s admit it. Leopards in Korea? Not anymore. Wolf clan and Fox clan were both very strong. And they kept fighting for a territory for a really long time and it lasted till the last century. Then… the Wolf clan finally won the war. Too bad they missed you,” Yoona smiled.

“Woow… that’s… so many information,” Taeyeon breathed out, her eyes wide opened.

Yoona chuckled a bit. “Do you get it?”

Taeyeon thought about it for a second or two before she slowly nodded. “I think I do…”

Yoona smiled. “That’s good then…”

“But what about the slayers? Where did they come from?” Taeyeon asked.

“Just like there were four big clans of vampires, there also were fours big clans of slayers, to keep the vampires on the tight leech. Some of them really didn’t know the line. As the vampire clans disappeared, the slayer clans slowly disappeared as well. We, Kwons, reminded quiet for the past fifteen years or so, since we had to take care only of the Fox clan which was somehow missing in action for that period of time. The Jungs are taking care of the Wolf clan so we had pretty much nothing to do.”

Taeyeon frowned. “Why… are you helping me? I don’t get it.”

“Don’t you know already? We told you.”

“Yeah, about the deal, but I don’t get it.”

“Fox clan was… different from the others,” Yoona said. “They weren’t as strong as bears, their teamwork wasn’t as good as wolfs’, but they were definitely the smartest ones. They were scientists and they were getting on well with not only us, but also with the Jungs as they were both fighting against the Wolf clan.”

“Oh, obviously. There was the couple in the photo, BoA said they were Jungs,” Taeyeon realized. “But what about… Tiffany?” she asked carefully.

Yoona hesitated for a second. “I don’t wanna lie, so I’ll just tell you I don’t know. My personal opinion though is that her father betrayed his clan.”

“Why would he do that?”

Yoona shrugged. “I bet they didn’t like the fact that he married a slayer. But who knows? I don’t. Please, I was a kid when all of this happened.”

“Should I ask somebody else?” Taeyeon questioned.

“You can give it a try. I guarantee BoA unnie knows more than I do.”

“Okay, I’ll ask her later… Thank you a lot,” Taeyeon smiled as she finished her cup of chocolate.

“Time to get back to sleep, huh?” Yoona suggested.

Taeyeon nodded. “Yeah, your bed is comfortable,” she joked.

Yoona cutely pouted. “Don’t tease me, unnie!”

“I’m your unnie?” Taeyeon said, surprised.

“Of course you are. You’re older than I am and you are my friend, so I’m gonna call you unnie. And I just said the members of the Fox clan are smart, not anymore I guess,” Yoona chuckled.

“Oh right… but hey, that’s not fair…” Taeyeon frowned. “I’m… more human than a fox-vampire.”

Yoona giggled. “Let’s see in a few weeks,” Yoona said as she stood up. She took the empty mugs and disappeared back in the kitchen.

“Hey, what do you mean by that?” Taeyeon asked, but Yoona didn’t hear her anymore. Or she just didn’t answer. So Taeyeon just sighed and returned back to the bed.

She wasn’t about to sleep though. She had too many things to think about. Her family… she wondered if there’s a chance that her sister is still alive. Then she thought about the slayers and the other clans. And… then Tiffany crossed her mind. She started to feel really bad for her. Really really bad. That poor girl was raised by creatures that murdered her whole family without even knowing about it.

Taeyeon sighed as she thought about her more. “Tiffany…” she mumbled and after an hour or so, she finally fell back a sleep.

 

 

Tiffany was in her room reading some books. She was lying on the bed. It was completely dark there, but she didn’t care. She was a bit annoyed since she couldn’t find anything about the half-vampires. There was just nothing in all those books. Suddenly, her head started to feel weird again. That dull pressure in the back of her skull was back. She sat up and winked. What is that? What does it mean? She took a deep breath and it slowly faded away. But she still felt weird. She felt the urge to do something. She wanted to go out and… do something. But she had no idea what. She felt like she’s missing something important. She frowned and looked at the clock. It was already morning and the sun was already up on the sky, which makes it impossible for her to go out of this dungeon. She shook her head a bit and took the mug on the table filled with a red liquid. She drank it and immediately felt better.

She sighed and looked around the room. It was a small simple room with almost no furniture.  She had a bed, though vampires don’t sleep, a chair and a desk and a wardrobe. There were no windows of course, the whole complex was under the ground. Under an old bank to be exact. It wasn’t a bank anymore, the citizens saw it only as some house with offices, but in fact, there were none. It was a vampires’ residence. The authorities knew that there were no offices, but Siwon had enough money, so officially, there were offices and even the authorities knew nothing.

Tiffany sighed and started to read again. She was determined to visit Taeyeon again tonight…

 

 

“Aish, seriously…” Taeyeon was running around the whole place with a phone in her hand. When she woke up at nine o’clock, she was pleased to find her phone fixed, a bowl with cereals and a note saying: FOR TAEYEON!!! Don’t you dare to touch this, Yoona! I’m at the cafe, Yuri.

So she had a breakfast and then she wanted to call Sunny, since she realized that there was nobody around and she started to feel bored. To her displeasure, there was no signal. So there she was, climbing everywhere, trying to get at least two bars.

“Oh!” her eyes widened as she got the second bar. “That might work,” she mumbled, frowning as she focused so she wouldn’t lose the balance. She was standing on a chair which she had put on a couch. It actually wasn’t as unstable as it may sound like. …Okay. It was quite unstable.

She dialed Sunny’s number and it worked.

“Taeyeon-ah! Are you okay?” Sunny immediately asked.

“Yeah, I am… so far,” Taeyeon added quietly as she looked at her current position. “Where are you?”

“On my way to school. I stopped by at the cafe, but Yuri refused to tell me anything,” Sunny complained. “She told me to ask you directly.”

Taeyeon chuckled and lost her balance for a second. She gasped, but luckily she managed to stay still and didn’t fall down.

“Taeyeon, what are you doing?” Sunny asked, suspicious.

“Nothing,” Taeyeon answered. “You talked with Yuri?”

“Kind of. More that I tried,” Sunny said. “You have to tell me everything!”

“Oh, Sunny…” Taeyeon sighed. “They told me so many things; I don’t even get it anymore. Can you visit me?”

“Uhm, I’m afraid I can’t make it today, I have an important presentation at school today, I can’t skip it… But I’ll definitely stop by tomorrow before work, okay?”

“Okay,” Taeyeon breathed out. “Sure, I’m looking forward to it,” she added and hung up. She carefully climbed down on the floor.

“Huh…” she chuckled, looking at herself. “Maybe there really is some fox in me, I didn’t hurt myself while doing this, that’s awesome!” she said to herself with a bright smile. She started to sing a random song and took the chair, wanting to put it on the floor as well, but she didn’t notice one of the legs got stuck. She tripped as she didn’t expect it and fell on the floor pulling the chair with her.

“Ah!” she hissed a bit as she hit the ground and then the chair hit her. “Aish…” she mumbled while getting up. “Okay, I guess that maybe the fox is still sleeping,” she frowned as she checked the chair. It looked fine. Thank god. The she looked at the couch and gasped. “Omo!” It was torn. She cursed and looked at it. It wasn’t torn a lot, but it was quite visible. She pouted as she thought what to do. Suddenly a sound of steps disturbed her. She panicked and quickly covered the ripped part with a pillow. She her dry lips and examined it. That might work.

Then Yoona entered the room. “Hi unnie, you’re up already?”

Taeyeon nodded. “Where’s everybody?” she asked.

“Yuri unnie is at her restaurant, BoA unnie is taking care of the museum and Jiyong is probably out with his friends. I went jogging and I also got some lunch for us!” Yoona smiled and showed Taeyeon a plastic bag.

“Ah, what are we cooking?”

“Pancakes!” Yoona laughed.

“Cool! And what are we going to do today?”

“Mhmmm…. We can play videogames,” Yoona suggested, shrugging. “Or… I can show you the museum, have you ever seen our expositions?”

“Wow, that would be great!” Taeyeon smiled. “I’ve never seen them before!”

“Okay… so… let’s cook now!” Yoona laughed again and headed to the kitchen.

Taeyeon nervously stared at the couch for a second before she followed her.

 

 

A/N: Phewww, hope you get it all xD This story is confusing I know. I'm trying to make it clear though and well.... I can't just explain everything at once, that wouldn't be fun, so please bear with me, hehehe. TaeNy is the next chapter, yey ! :P