Ch.01 - Mysterious Visitor

Prey

A short girl was sitting in her favorite cafe in the center of Seoul. She was sipping her latte, waiting for somebody. She looked at the clock and sighed. “She’s late,” she mumbled, seeing it was already half past seven. Her best friend was supposed to be here half an hour ago. She fixed her short blonde hair. She didn’t know if her best friend being late is a good thing or not. She just hoped her friend would arrive before the restaurant closes.

She checked her cell phone, hoping for a text or something, but nothing. Still no sign of that girl.

Just then, the door of the cafe opened and another short girl literally fell inside. Really literally, she tripped over a threshold and lost balance. Luckily, she didn’t hurt herself and she immediately stood up.

“Taeyeon-ah! Right here!” the short-haired girl called.

“Oh, Sunny, I’m sorry for being late,” the other girl said as she joined her and sat down right next to her.

Sunny just shook her head. “You’re unbelievable, Kim Taeyeon, really. Are you okay?” she asked, worried.

Taeyeon laughed like an old lady. “Yeah,” she said. “I’m already used to it.”

“Well, how was your interview? Did you get the job?” Sunny asked, curious.

Taeyeon nervously giggled and started to tug her long light hair.

Sunny raised her eyebrows. “So you didn’t.”

“Forever only a singer,” Taeyeon smiled sadly.

Sunny rolled her eyes. “You’re unbelievable, seriously… What happened? You’re a great photographer, I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t want you.”

“Well, yes, my photographing skills are not the problem,” Taeyeon admitted.

“So?”

“I… I think I’m lucky I don’t have to pay them for anything.”

“What have you done this time, Kim?” Sunny asked, in disbelieve.

“I entered the studio… and that stupid hem of my stupid coat got stuck on some reeeeally expensive device. And as I was trying to pull it out, I guess I just… pulled a bit too hard,” Taeyeon looked down, embarrassed.

“Geez, Taeyeon-ah! You can’t be serious!”

“Yeah, sorry, but it really did happen.”

“You crazy woman… So, you broke it. And?”

“Well… it actually fell on another device, so I broke… two of them and they… kicked me out,” Taeyeon admitted unwillingly.

“Ayoo…” Sunny facepalmed herself. “You’re so gonna be jobless forever.”

“I’m a singer!” Taeyeon smiled.

“Yeah, like singing in this restaurant part-time will make you enough money for living,” Sunny said sarcastically.

“I know, but so far I’ve been living well. Hey, Sunny-yah, promise me something,” Taeyeon said with a cheeky smile.

Sunny was honestly scared, but she still asked. “What is it?”

“Once you finish college and open your own restaur-“

“No way! No way I’m employing you!” Sunny interrupted, shaking her head rapidly.

“But whyyyyyy?” Taeyeon whined. “You’re my best friend!”

“Yes, but I don’t want my potential restaurant to burn down on a very first day, so I’m definitely not employing you.”

Taeyeon frowned, sad. “It wouldn’t burn down on a very first day!”

“Oh really? Tell me, how many times did you have to call firemen to your place so far?”

“Only twice!” Taeyeon argued, but Sunny gave her a very significant look. “This year,” Taeyeon added quietly and looked at her shoes.

“Yeah, and it’s April, so you see my point?”

“B-b-but- but- It wouldn’t burn down on a very first day! Month possibly, but not a day!”

Sunny sighed. “Sometimes I really wonder how come Yuri is willing to let you work here as a singer. No doubt you’re an amazing singer, but you’ve broken so many things here already, I think your costs are higher than your revenues.”

Taeyeon smiled. “I wonder about this too honestly. But you see? This building is still standing!”

“Yeah, that’s because Yuri doesn’t allow you to enter the kitchen ever since you flooded the entire cafe because you broke off the tap.”

“I don’t remember that,” Taeyeon said casually, but obviously lying.

“You can’t destroy this place; we would both end up jobless. And even though I hate being just a waitress, I have to make money somehow to pay for my school and also the dorm.”

“Yeah, I know, sorry sorry,” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

Sunny stuck out her tongue playfully.

Taeyeon sighed. “I think we should go, the restaurant closes in a few minutes.”

“Sure,” Sunny nodded. She looked towards the bar at her fellow co-worker, waitress. “Gain-ah, write the coffee on me, okay? If Yuri complains, tell her to deduct it from my wage, I don’t really care.”

The waitress smiled and nodded. “Of course,” she answered.

“Bye, see you later,” Sunny told her and Taeyeon waved as well, before they left the cafe.

“I’m going to cook myself some dinner, wanna forget about the failure earlier at the studio,” Taeyeon said.

“Okay,” Sunny nodded. “But please, be careful. Try to do it without the help of firemen at least this time,” Sunny teased.

“Ha, ha, ha,” Taeyeon frowned. “But still, don’t turn off your cell phone and be ready to come if anything happens, you know…” she added then though.

“Yeah, I know, like if you needed to go to the hospital or something, as usually, of course.”

“Exactly,” Taeyeon smiled innocently.

“He, he, so see you tomorrow… hopefully,” Sunny laughed before she hugged her best friend and then headed towards her dorm while Taeyeon headed home, to her small apartment.

 


Taeyeon was home only few minutes later. She lived alone in a small place on the seventh floor of an old, but cozy building with old engravings on the walls near the town center.

She didn’t know who her parents were, they’re probably dead, but she may never find out the truth.

She grew up in an orphanage. That’s the place where she met this one bubbly and cute girl Sunny – girl, who she now, 18 years later, considered her only family. But except for Sunny growing up in that orphanage was awful. Taeyeon was extremely happy when she finally turned 19 and could leave that place.

Beginnings with her new independent life were hard, but now, four years later, it was much better. Except for the fact she just couldn’t find any proper job. For some reason every single job interview she went to went wrong. Or to be more specific, ended up being a complete disaster. Yes, she adores singing, but she needs a proper job. She studied journalism and photographing and though she’s actually very capable nobody seemed to be willing to risk hiring her due to her clumsiness and bad luck.

She went to her small kitchen and opened a window a little. Then she began to cook. She decided to go with something safe and just cook some ramyun.

She put the noodles into a pot ant the cooker. “Aish!” she cursed as she hit her elbow on the chair behind her. She rubbed it and sighed as she examined her arm and her hand. Few bruises of many different colors as there were old ones and new ones, some scratched and two scars. It looked like somebody beat her up. First scar was on her thumb when she cut herself with a knife. The second one was on her wrist. She had it since forever, she didn’t even remember what caused it, she was probably too young back then. But that scar fascinated her. It had this really weird shape, it actually looked like a head of a dog or wolf or something.

She thought about it once again and completely forgot about her ramyun. She remembered only when a sharp smell of burnt noodles filled the room. “Oh crap!” she cursed as she ran towards the cooker to turn it off. “Oh crap…” she repeated and wanted to put the pot away, but she didn’t realize the pot would be hot. “Aishhhh!” she hissed in pain as she burnt her fingers. She sighed at the sight of her dinner. Not edible anymore. “Ayoo…” she fanned herself. The smoke filled the entire room. She walked towards the window to open it more. Normally she would probably notice the suspicious movement behind it, but right now she was too distracted. Her mood dropped even more. Now she’s angry AND hungry.

But back to the suspicious movement. Yeah, that’s right. Somebody was watching her. A slim and flexible young girl, dressed in black, was hiding in the shadows of the night. With her athletic body, she could easily stand on the parapet while holding onto a gutter. Her long black hair was floating in the air as a strong wind was hitting her.

That girl smiled. Well, she had a mask covering her face, so the smile itself wasn’t visible, but anybody could tell she’s amused because her eyes almost disappeared. But soon she returned back to her serious state and her expression turned dark.

Her prey was here. She actually didn’t understand why she is supposed to kill this girl. Siwon was always telling her to kill bad guys only, but this girl seemed… so innocent and pure. It was actually cute when she burnt her food. But Siwon wants her dead so she needs to obey. At least she will finally feed herself. She was starving for the past few weeks already. The blood Seohyun got from hospital last time was already all gone and she has to wait for at least another week to get more. That’s the worst thing about being a vampire. You need to be really careful not to get exposed. And once you get exposed, you need to kill every single person that knows; otherwise you will be killed by your own clan. Of course killing more and more people makes humans only more and more suspicious. And that wouldn’t be nice if the whole world knew. Yes, vampires might be stronger, but humans outnumber them like million times, plus humans are quite inventive. So it’s just better not to get exposed in a first place.

There’s only one clan of vampires left actually, clan of the wolf. And there’s another unpleasant thing that bothers this clan. The Jungs - slayers. Jungs are humans. But very strong and capable humans, whose life goal is to get rid of this last clan. Oh, there weren’t only Jungs, there were other slayers, but in this area, Jungs were the strongest, the most noticeable and the most important ones. This war seemed to be never-ending, it lasted for many centuries already.

But back to our vampire girl behind Taeyeon’s window. She took out her sharp crooked red dagger and pushed the window opened.
Taeyeon was busy cursing and trying to clean all the mess, so she didn’t really notice anything suspicious. Then she realized it got colder in the room, so she turned around to close the window.

“Whoa!!” she shrieked as she spotted the dark figure standing there with a dagger in her hand. “Who are you? What do you want? Go away!” Taeyeon yelled, her eyes widened in shock. She quickly tried to grab a knife from the counter, but she failed as she dropped it on the floor.

Then suddenly she felt something cold on her neck. She gulped as she realized it’s the dagger. “H-how?” she stuttered. That girl was standing next to the window in one moment and then she was right here, next to her in another. It happened so incredibly fast, Taeyeon couldn’t believe it actually happened. In her eyes something like this was impossible.

Taeyeon wanted to take a step back, but there was a cupboard, so she couldn’t escape. She was trapped. They were staring into each other’s eyes for a few seconds. Taeyeon frowned a bit. This person had such a beautiful eyes, there was nothing evil in them, so why? She decided to do something. She quickly grabbed the girl’s wrist, trying to push her away. The girl was obviously surprised at the sudden act, but Taeyeon still failed hard. That girl didn’t even move. Even through the mask, Taeyeon could see the smirk on her face. Her eyes were telling her.

The masked girl then broke their eye-contact and looked at Taeyeon’s fingers around her wrist. She was about to push the hand away, when she noticed something. Her eyes grew wider and she looked at Taeyeon, confused and surprised at the same time. Taeyeon felt that girl is having a weaker moment so she made her decision. This might be her only opportunity. She pushed the girl as much as she could, hoping to get enough space to run away or at least get a knife from the floor. But it wasn’t enough. The girl remained still. It was actually Taeyeon who lost the balance. Her back hit the cupboard hard and she hissed it pain. She closed her eyes for a second, but opened them immediately when she heard something falling on the floor and breaking and more falling on the floor. The dagger was no longer on her neck and the girl was no longer in front of her.

She looked on the floor. There was a huge ceramic bowl, cracked. Oh, and there was also the girl, lying on the floor, unconscious. There was a small wound on her forehead and some blood was leaking out of it.

“God damn it, what the heck just happened?” Taeyeon wondered aloud and looked at the bowl. “Did it just… fell on her head from the cupboard and saved my life?” She scratched her head as she thought about it. “Kim Taeyeon, you’re awesome!” she said proudly to herself and chuckled.

But she wasn’t sure what to do. She tried to pick the body up. “Gaaah! So heavy!” she hissed. “You don’t look like a heavy person, but you sure are one,” she said dramatically.

Taeyeon pulled closer one of her kitchen chairs and after a minute or so, she managed to get the body on the chair. “Sorry,” she said, because she dropped her a few times. “Oh, wait, you just tried to kill me, so I’m not sorry,” she realized as she searched through her apartment, looking for some kind of rope. She find one, so she tied to girl to the chair. She also tied her legs together tightly. Then she picked up the dagger from the floor and put it on the table. She walked towards the girl and took of her mask. She raised her eyebrows in surprise. That girl was pretty much flawless. She had a perfect white skin, red lips, perfect nose and now, when she was unconscious a really peaceful expression which made her look even prettier.

“Such a beauty and she wants to kill me,” Taeyeon sighed as she wiped away the blood from the girl’s forehead with her own shawl and then put it on the table. She took the dagger, walked towards the sink and poured some water into a big glass. Then she spilled it all over that beautiful face. Two or three seconds later, the girl opened her eyes and winked several times to get rid of the water. She gritted her teeth as she spotted Taeyeon and her expression immediately turned angry. Taeyeon just confidently smiled and spun the dagger between her fingers before placing it on the girl’s neck.

“So… who are you?”

The girl just growled. She didn’t remember how, but that short girl just defeated her somehow. It was the first time something like that happened to her. It was humiliating. And as much as she didn’t care about the rope, because she could just easily rip it apart, she was nervously looking at Taeyeon’s hand holding her dagger. She could probably kill her faster than she would manage to untie herself.

“You don’t know how to talk?” Taeyeon asked. “Who are you?” she repeated and pushed the dagger a little bit more on the girl’s neck.

“Who are you?!!” that girl barked angrily.

“I’m the boss here now!” Taeyeon scolded her and scratched her neck a little.

“What’s your name?”

“Tiffany,” the girl answered unwillingly. Her voice was husky and somehow soothing.

“So, Tiffany… What do you want from me?”

“Kill you.”

“No kidding,” Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “Why?”

“I don’t know,” Tiffany answered truthfully.

“You don’t know?”

“No.”

“Do you know me?”

“No.”

Taeyeon sighed. “Somebody sent you.” She said then. It wasn’t a question more like a statement.

Tiffany didn’t answer.

“I’ll take that as yes. Who?”

“Kill me,” Tiffany just said.

“What?” Taeyeon stared at her, surprised.

“Kill me,” Tiffany repeated. She knew it doesn’t really matter. Siwon will kill her for this failure anyways.

“Tell me first. Who. Did. Send. You?” Taeyeon asked, slowly losing her patience.

“You don’t know that person,” Tiffany answered, again, truthfully.

“And that person knows me?”

“I guess so,” Tiffany shrugged.

“You’re lying,” Taeyeon gritted her teeth.

“So… kill me,” Tiffany breathed out.

Taeyeon smirked. “I’m really going to do it,” she said, pressing the dagger to Tiffany’s neck, making the scratch bigger. Some blood started to ooze out.

Tiffany gritted her teeth. It hurt her. But she just stared at Taeyeon firmly. “Do it.”

 

A/N: Hhh, so that's the first chapter ^^ Hope it didn't disappoint you :P I'll update the second one in a few days :)