Ch.03 - Connection

Prey

“So… you think I’m some kind of a lab rat, huh?”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened in shock and she quickly turned around. Before she started to scream, the girl with a deadly white skin covered , so only a muffled sound came out.

“Thuthny-”

“Shut up. If you promise me you won’t scream, I will let you live,” Tiffany whispered in a sharp tone. Her face was covered with a new shawl, but it was semi-transparent, so Taeyeon could still see the perfect features of her face. “So?”

Taeyeon stopped resisting and just quickly nodded. Fear was obvious in her eyes.

“I warn you… You scream and I’ll break your neck in less than a second. And then I’ll break your friend’s neck as well,” Tiffany said firmly as she slowly slid her hand on Taeyeon’s throat. Taeyeon tilted her head and turned around on her back, so her position was more natural. Tiffany’s hand was quite cold and it made her shiver.

Taeyeon gulped and nodded. “What do you want from me? Why do you want to kill me?” she whispered, terrified.

“I don’t want anything from you, I don’t want to kill you,” Tiffany answered truthfully. “But… my boss wants you to be dead.”

“But why?” Taeyeon asked, confused. She really didn’t want to die yet. Her life hard, but she was still too young.

“I… I just really don’t want to kill you,” Tiffany said. She was telling the truth. She didn’t know why she can’t force herself to kill her. But she just can’t. “Give me back my dagger and I’ll let you go. But listen, Kim Taeyeon, you have to run away.”

Taeyeon blinked several times, puzzled. “You…”

“Seriously, go… Run away, really far away, abroad. If they find out I let you go, they will kill me or at least chase me out and then they will send somebody who will definitely not be as kind as I am right now.”

Taeyeon her dry lips and nodded. “Your dagger… is in the kitchen.”

“Let’s go there then and… don’t wake up your friend,” Tiffany warned.

Taeyeon just nodded and led Tiffany to the kitchen. She opened the cupboard and took out the dagger wrapped in the shawl.

“Here you go.”

Tiffany slightly smiled for a second and then she looked at Taeyeon. There was one emotion visible in her eyes. Pity.

“You should know,” Tiffany said.

“What should I know?” Taeyeon asked.

“You… do you know what is this?” Tiffany asked and slowly rolled up her sleeve, revealing her wolf-shaped scar.

“That looks like my scar,” Taeyeon said with a quiet gasp.

“It’s not a scar, silly,” Tiffany said. Her expression didn’t really change, but Taeyeon thought the ways she said ‘silly’ was just adorable. But seeing Tiffany’s firm eyes, she still felt like peeing her pants. After all, Tiffany was still a dangerous murderer. “It’s a mark of vampires.”

“Vampires?” Taeyeon breathed out in disbelieve and then chuckled. She found it ridiculous.

Tiffany’s expression kind of darkened. “Do you want me to kill you?”

“That’s a crap, I’m not a vampire, I don’t drink blood… And vampires don’t exist.”

“Yeah? They don’t? Then how do you explain me? Am I just a scientific experiment gone wrong?” Tiffany took of her mask and opened , showing Taeyeon her fangs.

“Not that… long,” Taeyeon said, trying to sound casually, but her knees were shaking.

“Of course they’re not that long, we have to blend it, when it’s needed,” Tiffany said, rolling her eyes. “Plus we don’t use them. But show me your teeth.”

Taeyeon hesitated for a while, but then she remembered who Tiffany was, so she willingly opened .

She felt uncomfortable when Tiffany touched her canine teeth with her cold bare hand to try their sharpness. Nobody has really touched Taeyeon’s teeth before except for her herself, her dentist and her ex-girlfriend’s tongue.

“Mhm, not that sharp, but sharper than most people’s,” Tiffany commented as she withdrew her hand.

“So… you still insist on the fact I’m a vampire, don’t you?”

“You’re not a full vampire. You’re a half human,” Tiffany explained.

“How is that possible?”

“Do you know who your parents were?”

“…No,” Taeyeon admitted reluctantly.

“You see…” Tiffany shrugged. She took her dagger and put the shawl around her face. “Now run away… Run as far as possible and hide,” she just added, looked at her for the last time and then ran towards the window.

“Wait!” Taeyeon yelled and tried to stop her, but she tripped and ended up on the floor, while Tiffany jumped out of the window. “Damn it!” she cussed as she stood up. Tiffany was gone.

“What are you doing on the floor? Did something happen?”

Taeyeon turned around and sighed at sight of sleepy girl at the door.

“Oh, Sunny-yah…”

 

 

A tall dark slim girl was standing in between trees in front of the house Taeyeon lived in. Her right hand slid down and her fingers hugged a hilt of her sword. She took it out in a one sharp move. She looked to a certain window on a seventh floor. There was a dim light on, everything seemed to be calm. Then she heard something. She quickly looked around. She could swear she spot some kind of suspicious movement. She quietly ran to the source of the movement, her sword ready.

She took a several more steps forward, when she noticed her. A long haired girl between the trees. Her skin was pale and her hair was light too, that’s why she was quite obvious. And she also had a sword in her hand, though it was a bit shorted. Well, this girl was a little bit shorter in general.

The taller girl smirked. She knew who that other girl was. Her target. Sword, pale skin, must be her. Who uses swords these days anyway? She was sure. Though she thought the light hair are a little bit weird. But she didn’t really think about that that much.

She took a few steps forward and was surprised the shorter girl didn’t notice her. She lifted her sword higher and was about to cut her head off with a single one move, but suddenly, the girl turned around and blocked the hit.

“Who are you?” she asked in a firm voice.

“Somebody, who will kill you,” the darker girl answered and swung the sword again, this time aiming for the shorter girl’s waist, but again, the hit got blocked.

The taller girl gritted her teeth. She knew it wouldn’t be easy, but this . She was trying hard, but the other girl blocked every single hit without any effort.

“What… do you want?” the shorter girl panted after a five minutes of fighting.

The taller one smirked a bit. At least she made her tired.

“Leave… Kim Taeyeon alone!” the taller one yelled and swung her sword really hard. There was no way the shorter girl would block it. Or at least the taller one thought so.

The shorter one blocked it. But the sword slid out of her hands and fell a few meters away.

“I don’t know who Kim Taeyeon is!” she hissed as the taller one pressed the tip of her sword on .

“Liar!”

“Who the heck are you? Are you a slayer or what? How come I don’t know you then, there are not other slayers than we-”

“What is going on here?”

Both girls immediately turned around to the girl, who just appeared out of nowhere. She looked totally confused and had an ice cream in her hand.

“Go away!” the dark girl ordered, but the newcomer just blinked a few times.

“Who are you?”

“Go the hell away!” she repeated and pointed the sword to her. She didn’t realize her mistake at the moment. The shorter girl immediately ran away. “Damn it! You see what you did?!”

“O-okay… I-I guess I really should be going,” the girl with ice cream took a several steps backwards and then she ran away.

The tall girl sighed. “Damn it, damn it, damn it!” she cursed and looked at the sword on the ground.

She picked it up and looked at the hilt. There was some sign engraved. A capital J in a triangle. Her eyes widened. She knew that symbol. The Jungs… So… that girl was a Jung, a slayer, and not Tiffany, the vampire?

Then she gasped. “Taeyeon!”

 

 

“Oh that did not just happen,” Sunny said, terrified.

“Yeah, it did,” Taeyeon nodded after she finished with her unbelievable story.

“You’re a vampire… Crazy crazy crazy.”

“Half vampire! Apparently. Don’t worry, I won’t eat you,” Taeyeon joked lamely.

“Insane,” Sunny sighed. “So? Are we really going to run away or what? I can’t really leave this place, I have a school to attend here,” she added.

Taeyeon rubbed her forehead, thinking. “I don’t know. I have no idea what to do… I wish she came back. I need your help, Tiffany…”

 

 

Tiffany was like half way back to the clan, when she suddenly felt something really weird in the back of her head. It was… some kind of a dull pressure. She slowed down and eventually stopped.

“Ugh, what is this?”

It didn’t hurt, but it made her uncomfortable, that unfamiliar feeling was upsetting her. Then it quickly faded away. She slightly shook her head to put her mind together again. That was… weird. She sighed and started to run again. She needs to help Taeyeon…

 

 

In the morning, Taeyeon and Sunny went to Yuri’s cafe. Taeyeon decided to run away, but not immediately. She couldn’t run away just now. She had no place to stay, she had no money.

But she told Yuri she’s quitting.

“What?!” Yuri barked. “Why?”

“I… I am leaving Seoul soon,” Taeyeon said.

“Do you know?” Yuri asked carefully, her voice quieter.

Sunny frowned. “What should she know?” she asked.

“That she’s a… You’re a…” Yuri leaned to Taeyeon’s ear and whispered. “…vampire.”

Taeyeon immediately jerked backwards. “Yuri-yah!!”

“You… don’t?” Yuri asked, really confused.

Sunny was pretty puzzled as well. “What did she tell you?” she asked, since she hadn’t heard. She ended up being ignored though.

“Well, I know, but how the heck do you know?”

“That’s not important, but I know where to hide you. They’re finally after you, right?” Yuri said, avoiding Taeyeon’s question.

Taeyeon hesitated for a second, before she nodded.

“I knew it,” Yuri mumbled to herself, gritting her teeth. “You have to trust me okay?”

“What is going on?” Sunny asked, still totally confused. And she was still like an invisible person for the other two girls.

“O…kay,” Taeyeon slowly said. She thought about it. Well, she didn’t have any particular reason not to trust Yuri. She always treated her well and heck, she even helped her a lot. Yuri was giving her much bigger salary than she deserved. Then suddenly this one crazy thought crossed her mind. Maybe all the help and kindness from Yuri wasn’t just a mere coincidence?

“What am I supposed to do then?” Taeyeon asked.

“You have always been wondering where am I living, right? I really am not living in my office,” Yuri smiled mysteriously.

“The place you have been disappearing to every afternoon?” Taeyeon asked, trying to make herself sure. She was really curious about the mysterious place.

“Yep, that’s exactly it. Well, I’ll take you there. Now go back home and pack your things,” Yuri said.

“What about me then?” Sunny asked, trying to finally get some attention.

“Go help her… I’ll pick you up in a few hours and you’ll see.”

“Okay…” Taeyeon said quietly. She was a bit frozen and definitely confused.

“Now go,” Yuri ordered firmly and the other girls quickly left…

 

 

“How? How? How?” Tiffany kept mumbling as she searched through a bazillion of books in a huge library. She told Siwon she had got rid of that Taeyeon girl last night. He was content. Now she had to find out, if it’s possible to trace a half-vampire half-human and if so, then how to hide that poor girl. There were ways how to trace a vampire, a slayer and a human. But how to trace a half-caste, how to trace somebody with a mixed blood? Is it possible to trace her as both, human and vampire? Or neither? And how to hide her?

Tiffany was feeling hot, almost like sweating and vampires don’t sweat. Suddenly, the door opened and a tall girl entered the library.

Tiffany jerked. “Oh, Seohyun-ah!” she breathed out, relieved, when she recognized her.

“What are you doing, unnie?” Seohyun asked.

“Just… reading,” Tiffany answered awkwardly.

“Unnie, you don’t do reading,” Seohyun stated.

“I… just started?” Tiffany knew she was caught red-handed by the smartie Seohyun and she needed to come up with some good excuse really quickly. But Seohyun was already peeking into the book.

“Unnie!” she gasped in shock, when she noticed what article Tiffany’s reading.

“What? I was just… trying to… self-improve! Just like you do it!” Tiffany answered, hoping Seohyun would buy it. She hoped Seohyun had no idea about her mission. Too bad she knew.

“Unnie, you didn’t,” Seohyun frowned. “That’s against the rules!”

“What I did? I didn’t do anything!”

“You haven’t accomplished your mission, you lied to Siwon oppa and now you’re betraying him!” Seohyun scolded and Tiffany had to look away.

“Please don’t tell him…” she just sighed.

“How can I? It’s against the rules! Explain it to me, unnie, please.”

“I…” Tiffany didn’t know what to say.

“Why are you helping her?” Seohyun asked after a few seconds of silence.

“I don’t know, but I feel somehow… connected to her.”

“What do you mean, connected?”

“I don’t know, killing her is like… killing my… sister,” Tiffany breathed out. She changed the last word. She wanted to say ‘soul mate’, but that would only make it creepier.

“Is there any chance for you to stay quiet?” Tiffany said in a pleading voice.

Hesitation crossed Seohyun’s face. “I don’t know,” she said.

“Please, Seohyun-ah! I don’t need your help or anything just don’t tell Siwon, okay?”

Seohyun sighed. “Just because you’re my favorite unnie.”

“Thank you!” Tiffany shrieked loudly, all excited and hugged Seohyun tight.

“I have two conditions though,” Seohyun said, slightly pushing Tiffany away.

“Anything! Anything for you! Just tell me!”

“First of all, if anything goes wrong, like anything, I’m out,” Seohyun said firmly. “I don’t like breaking the rules.”

“It’s gonna be fine, it has to. Don’t worry. But if something really goes wrong, you can go against me… I won’t take it as a betrayal.”

“Is it really worth it, unnie?” Seohyun asked, a little bit sadly.

“Yes. I can feel it. It’s worth it. She’s worth it… What’s the second condition?”

“I may regret it later, but… tell me about everything you’re doing…”

 

 

FLASHBACK

“Love destroys us. More than sunlight, understand?”

A little 7 years old girl just diligently nodded.

“You can never fall in love,” a tall guy kept lecturing. “Remember the story of the old Park.”

She just nodded again.

“Tell me the story,” he ordered.

She just blinked before she started. “The old Park fell in love with a slayer. She brought him only a bad luck and he was becoming more and more weak. He even befriended a humans and vampires from another clan. Eventually, he’s own body started to kill him until he really died. His wife and children died as well,” she said.

He smiled and patted her head. “Good girl. So never… never fall in love. Now go.”

She smiled, happy the lecture is over, and ran back to her room.

The man’s expression darkened. “You’re unstable. I can’t fully trust you yet… But don’t worry, I’ll take care of you… Or kill you just like I’ve killed the old Park…”

END OF THE FLASHBACK

 

 

A/N: First of all, thank you for the comments! ^^

Hehe, more characters on the scene :) The OT9 will be slowly getting complete :) I'll update again some time next week, probably tuesday or so :)