Ch.19 - When You're Gone

Prey

Taeyeon woke up really quite late that day. She looked at the clock. It was 7AM. She was really surprised as she noticed Tiffany wasn’t in the room. The sun must have been up in the sky already. She looked at the door. It was semi-opened. She rubbed her eyes and suppressed a yawn. She felt really tired, since she hadn’t slept well. She had a terrible dream. She was trying to save Sunye and when she finally managed to do it, Sunye started to act weird and wanted to kill Tiffany. Sunye managed to kidnap her and when Taeyeon found them, she was currently torturing Tiffany. That moment Taeyeon yelled some stuff on them and she also remembered telling Tiffany she loved her. Taeyeon blushed at the memory. Even in her dream she was able to admit it already. It was a stupid dream though… Huh, but where is that girl?

Taeyeon left the room and found Jiyong in the living room, eagerly playing videogames. He looked quite terrible though. Probably hadn’t slept for a few nights.

“Hi, have you seen Tiffany.”

“Ugh, uh, yeah, I did,” he said, still fully focused on the game.

“And?”

“She left.”

“She WHAT?!” Taeyeon took a step backwards and her back hit a wall. “She what?”

Jiyong finally looked up and shrugged as if nothing really happened. “She asked me to open the door, she said she was hungry. I didn’t want to get eaten. So I just let her out.”

“Aish, you idiot!” Taeyeon mumbled. She felt a bit dizzy. Why would Tiffany leave? “Yuri… where is Yuri…” she whispered and looked at the door of Yuri’s room. She entered without knocking and found two girls there. Yuri and… she wasn’t sure who’s the other one.

“What… is going on?” Yuri asked.

“Tiffany is gone!” Taeyeon shrieked.

“What? What do you mean, gone? How can she be gone?” Yuri kept questioning, obviously confused.

“Your stupid cousin let her out,” Taeyeon simply said.

“I’m confused,” the third girl said. “What is going on.” She didn’t seem confused and concerned at all though. She seemed highly disinterested and aloof.

“Oh, sorry, Sica, this is Taeyeon, half vampire we’re taking care of. Taeyeon, this is Jessica. Jung.”

“Why did you pause between my name and surname?” Jessica asked, raising one of her eyebrows.

“I wanted to make it obvious that you’re a slayer geez,” Yuri answered, rolling her eyes.

“Guys, this is not a right time for some flirty bickering,” Taeyeon interrupted.

“What- flirty- what? No!” Yuri said quickly. “But you’re right, this is not the right time. What do you mean my stupid cousin? Jiyong’s here?”

“Yeah, come out.”

Yuri and Jessica followed Taeyeon to the living room. BoA came from her room too, frowning a bit.

“What is going on?” the eldest Kwon asked.

Jiyong paused his videogame and looked around. “Why are you all staring at me? It’s making me feel uncomfortable,” he said slowly.

Yuri walked to him and slapped the back of his head. “Idiot! Did you let Tiffany out?”

“He did what?” BoA asked.

“Uhhh,” Jiyong hesitated. “I… guess I did,” he admitted after a second or two, earning another slap.

“Idiot!”

“She was threatening me! She said she would drink my blood if I didn’t open the door for her!” Jiyong said, defending himself.

“You do realize you are a vampire slayer, right?” BoA scolded him.

“Yeah, well, so?”

“It means you hunt vampires, you’re not an ordinary human, you should be able to defeat a one stupid vampire! You really are an idiot.”

Jiyong raised his eyebrows and looked at BoA with puppy eyes. “Oops?”

“Oh my gosh…” BoA just said, shaking her head.

“What are we going to do?” Taeyeon asked.

“We have to find her. Why would she leave?” Yuri wondered.

“Good question. Any idea, Taeyeon?” BoA asked.

Taeyeon just shook her head. “Not even the slightest one.”

“I’m still very confused,” Jessica spoke up flatly, still looking cold and not really interested.

“This idiot here let Tiffany out. The Tiffany girl I told her about earlier. You know, your cousin,” BoA explained.

“Wait, she’s my cousin?” Jessica asked, obviously surprised. “Why don’t I know that?”

“I don’t know?” BoA hesitated. “I thought I had mentioned…. Whatever, not important anymore. The more important question is… What to do?”

 

 

 

Tiffany was just lazing around a huge underground parking lot. She hid there last night when she realized she had nowhere to go and the sun was going to rose soon. So she hid under a big department store. There was no daylight and even though people kept coming and leaving, it was easy to hide there.

Tiffany soon got bored. She was left alone with her thoughts. She was starting to hate thinking. It was giving her headache. And it wasn’t the only thing bothering her head.

“I wish Taeyeon stopped thinking about me, stupid connection,” she mumbled as she rubbed her forehead and kicked an empty coke can. She was walking around the cars, trying to distract herself. She was just hoping the connection won’t tell Taeyeon about her location. That would be some dirty trick. But they tried it; the connection doesn’t really work vice versa, so no need to worry.

Tiffany had no idea what to do next. She can’t be hiding in this place forever. But where would she go? Abroad? But she can’t really travel using a plane or a boat… Huh, North Korea sounds like a good place for a vampire. No, she needs to stay here.

Part of her wanted to run and never come back, but part of her wanted to keep an eye on Taeyeon, just in case… She groaned. Her indecisiveness was driving her crazy. Tiffany, girl, think!

 

 

 

“I come in peace,” a girl with long black hair said as she entered the Wolf clan’s main base. She was really beautiful, her skin was doll-like, her eyes catlike. She looked a lot like Jessica.

A long haired boy was looking at her, suspicious. “You… are… Jung. Jung don’t come in peace.”

“I do, I’m our family’s youngest child, Krystal,” she said and bowed her head a bit. “You?” she said with a smile.

“You don’t need to know. I’m not letting you in.”

“Oh please,” Krystal said, letting her annoyance out. “I’m not happy about being here either. Please, move your , so I could talk to Siwon.”

He chuckled. He kind of liked this girl’s wittiness. “Stay here, I’ll go ask him,” he said eventually.

Once he left her alone, Krystal let out a deep sigh and fanned herself with a hand. She was definitely nervous. This was her first big mission as a vampire hunter in her life. But she was determined to do well, she knew she wouldn’t fail. She can’t. She needs to prove her family she’s already all grown up. And this is simply amazing opportunity…

 

 

 

Sunny was drinking her coffee, trying to hide her restlessness. She had a date. Well… not really a date. Maybe appointment is a better word? Meeting. She was supposed to meet with Sooyoung and her friend Hyoyeon. She jumped on her seat when her phone suddenly rang. She took it out of her purse and looked at the display. Taeyeon.

“Oh, Taeyeon-ah?”

“Sunkyu, we’re in trouble. Tiffany ran away, you didn’t see her, did you?” Taeyeon said really quickly. Sunny had problem to understand it all.

“No, why would I?” she said then, puzzled.

“I don’t know!” Taeyeon yelled.

“I think you’re losing it, Taeng,” Sunny stated as she pulled the phone a bit further from her ear.

“I already lost it. That girl… what is she thinking? Not only I have problems with my ex-girlfriend, I just have to have problems with my maybe-almost-girlfriend too!”

“Wait, what?” Sunny questioned, surprised. “You need to keep me more updated, Taengoo!”

“I know, I’m sorry, it’s just… Gah!”

“Well, I’m waiting for some girl who is supposed to be a vampire.”

“Now? During the day?”

“Yep. She’s apparently something like you,” Sunny said, making long story short.

“Oh really? Now that’s pretty interesting,” Taeyeon said, almost forgetting her Sunye and Tiffany problems. Almost.

“Yeah, her name is Hyoyeon and she’s my maybe-almost-girlfriend’s friend. You know, you’re not the only one who might be in a relationship soon,” Sunny explained. There was a long silence on the other side of the line. “Taeyeon? You there? Halo? Earth to Kim Taeyeon!”

“Did… you… just… say…. H-Hyoyeon?”

 

 

 

Yoona was lying in the bed, really bored. She wasn’t even thinking anymore. She had nothing to think about. She was already feeling quite well, if only she could already eat normally. She grabbed her cell phone and started to play Angry Birds. Well, she was alone in a room, so she might as well set a new high score. After a few moments her cell phone vibrated.

“Aish, who is texting me so suddenly? I messed up because of you…” she groaned. “Oh, Yuri?” she wondered aloud. “If you’re only asking me how I am, I will kill you for messing up my high score.”

Yoona opened the text message.

“I just thought that it would be nice of me to keep you updated. So I’m at home with upset Taeyeon, BoA, stupid Jiyong and annoying Jung. Jessica Jung, slayer, yep. Tiffany ran away because of a yet unknown reason. Jungs sent their family maknae to save Sunye. Yeah, Jessica’s younger sister is going to the wolves’ den. Let’s wish her luck. We have to solve the problem named Tiffany right now. Get well soon and don’t get too distracted by doctor Seo. With love, Yuri.”

Yoona kept staring on the text with slightly opened for several seconds. She had to read it twice, to fully understand it. “I… have been missing in action for just two or three days, haven’t I?”

Suddenly the door opened. “Yoona unnie, are you talking to yourself now?” Seohyun laughed as soon as she entered.

Yoona smiled a bit, but then returned to her serious expression. “Many things happened.”

Seeing Yoona’s expression, Seohyun turned serious as well. “What is it?”

“Tiffany… Yuri just texted me that Tiffany had ran away.”

“Tiffany unnie did what?”

Yoona just shrugged and showed Seohyun the text.

Seohyun read it, while frowning. “Something must have made her really upset. I remember Tiffany unnie running away just once before. She was like fifteen back then and it was after she saw Siwon oppa killing somebody for the first time. It made her really upset and she ran away.”

“Any idea where she might be?” Yoona asked, ready to text Yuri back if anything.

Seohyun shook her head. “Last time she hid in an underground parking lot in a department store. We found her there, she looked terrified and was playing with a pink scarf, I have no idea where she got it from, Tiffany unnie never talks about that accident, maybe she doesn’t even remember, she was really upset. But I remember my oppas and unnies had hard time trying to calm her down.”

“Do you think she could go to the same place again?” Yoona asked, already typing the text.

“I have no idea,” Seohyun said, slightly shaking her head.

“In what department store was she found last time?”

“I really don’t know, I’m sorry, unnie, I was a kid back then,” Seohyun said and looked really apologetic. Her face made Yoona feel bad.

“No, that’s okay, no need to apologize! You already helped a lot! Hopefully,” Yoona said quickly, smiling and sending the text. “But… is there any way I could leave this place already? I think they might need me.”

“I’m sorry, unnie, but the soonest you could possibly leave is like in a two days and I wouldn’t recommend you to leave that soon,” Seohyun said. She was really sorry, she could see Yoona wanted to join her family in this situation, but from the aspect of a doctor it was dangerous for her to leave already.

Yoona sighed. “Well what can I do. Stupid appendix!”

 

 

 

“Huh,” Yuri just uttered as she looked up from the screen of her cell phone.

“What huh?” Jessica immediately asked.

“Yoona just texted me,” Yuri answered. “She says Tiffany might be in some department store or something,” she added, slightly confused, looking at BoA and Jessica.

At that moment, Taeyeon returned to the room. She had a blank expression and looked like in a haze.

“What’s wrong?” Yuri, who noticed first, asked.

“I just… talked with Sunny… I… think… she’s meeting my sister at the moment…” Taeyeon answered, still in shock.

“What?” BoA asked, confused.

“I didn’t have a chance to tell her. Before I managed to say anything, she said she had to go and hung up…” Taeyeon continued slowly. “I… don’t know. I have to text her…” Taeyeon took her phone out of her pocket. She was staring at the screen for a few moments, trying to organize her thoughts a bit. It was quite a hard task. Then she started to type a message and stopped paying attention to her surroundings.

“Interesting turn of events, we thought she’s dead,” BoA said as she rubbed her chin and Yuri nodded.

“I think we need to solve one problem first, don’t we?” Jessica interrupted the silence that was slowly filling the room. “I mean… Tiffany. Department store?”

Taeyeon looked up from her phone as she just sent the text and looked at the girl, obviously curious, but still looking a bit out of her mind.

“I just got a text from Yoona. She says Seohyun told her Tiffany could be in a department store,” Yuri informed, shoving Taeyeon her phone.

Taeyeon just briefly looked at the text and nodded. “So… what exactly are we waiting for?”

Yuri bit her lower lip as she looked up on the sky. “We need to hurry. There’s no chance we could find her in night and the sun will set in an hour or too…”

Then she looked at BoA. “So, are you going with me?”

“Sure, I will help you.”

“Me too,” Jessica suddenly said. “What, she’s my cousin after all,” she added when all of the girls looked at her.

“What about me?” Taeyeon asked.

Now all eyes were fixed on her. BoA was obviously thinking. Yuri probably too. Jessica looked unimpressed.

“I think she could go,” Yuri then told BoA. “And if we find Tiffany, she has the biggest chance to force that stupid girl to return.”

Taeyeon slightly smiled and looked at BoA with anticipation. BoA hesitated and eventually nodded. “Okay,” she said. “But you can’t go on your own.”

“I can live with that,” Taeyeon grinned.

“So, wanna go with Yuri?”

“Uhm, sorry for interfering, but aren’t you like the strongest out of your family? You should go with her. And I’ll go with Yuri,” Jessica said suddenly.

Yuri looked at her, not even trying to hide her surprise. “You wanna go with me?”

“Yeah, why not,” Jessica shrugged.

It didn’t take long for BoA to agree. “Okay. Let’s do it like this,” she nodded. “So, shall we go?”

“Oh,” Yuri suddenly mumbled and frowned a bit.

“What are you thinking about?” BoA asked. “Having a second thought?”

“No… not really, just… You can go ahead already, I need to settle down something with Jessica first.”

“Okay,” BoA nodded.

“Can you go to my room with me?” Yuri then asked, looking at Jessica.

Jessica just shrugged and nodded. “Whatever.”

The two girls went into the room.

“So?” Jessica asked as Yuri closed the door behind them.

“Well, this might be quite dangerous, so I figured you might need your sword,” Yuri said as she took Jessica’s sword and handed it to her.

Jessica looked rather surprised. “Oh, wow. I sure didn’t expect that,” she said as she took it. “So no more competition?”

“Well… we have to cooperate now, we need to stop this petty fight of ours for a while. But we can go back to it anytime,” Yuri said with a smirk.

“Sure,” Jessica answered with the same expression.

“But for now… allies?” Yuri asked, extending her hand.

Jessica just took Yuri’s hand into hers and nodded. “Allies.”

 

 

 

A/N: Hey guys! Updated earlier ^^

The next chapter.... won't be really lovey-dovey either.... but you will see ^^ teehee

Anyways thank you for all the lovely comments aaaaand..... any Black Jacks reading my story? Just asking, because my friend JDC wrote a short story, I helped him translate it into English and I promised him I would recommend, so... If anyone's interested in a cute short ChaeMin one-shot.... here's the LINK. ^^

See you soooon~