Crash

What My Heart Tells Me To Do

 

Author's Note: Things get a little hot and heavy in this part. You might wanna skip the last bit if you feel uncomfortable.

 

The days that followed were mostly happy. You started spending more nights at the studio with Yongguk, and like he promised, he actually helped you with your writing, unlike the ahjusshi you learnt from, who always just made you feel inadequate each time you went in. These nights made the days better too. You were able to spend more time hanging out with Himchan and the boys without having to worry about avoiding Yongguk. The way the two of you were now able to converse easily put everyone else at ease too. Nevertheless, you could sense that your brother was worried, as he always was.

“Ha Na,” he said to you one day when he was alone with you in your car. You were driving him to a schedule he had. “You sure you’re okay with hanging out with Yonggukie like this? Is he really okay, after, you know, everything?”

You shrugged. “I’m fine. I don’t know if he is, or if he’s just pretending. You live with him. Shouldn’t you know better than I do?”

“You know he doesn’t say anything,” Himchan pointed out. “Maybe you shouldn’t be hanging out with him every night like this. Unless you’re getting back together. Are you?”

“What? No!” you laughed, glancing over at your brother. “Our relationship is mostly professional right now. He’s teaching me. The only time I spend with him that doesn’t involve work is with you guys.”

“You know that humans don’t turn their emotions on and off just like that,” Himchan nagged. “He was so mad at you for the past two years. How could he just forget all of that unless he thinks that you’re getting back together?”

You were quiet for a second. Honestly, you didn’t know what to do with your feelings either. You really liked spending all that time alone with Yongguk in the studio, and you had to keep telling yourself that the two of you were just friends. All the positive feelings you had, you either shelved them under “friendly feelings” in your head, or just ignored them altogether. What you had now was good. Trying to sort out what you felt might make everything so much more complicated all over again.

“Ha Na, are you listening to me?” Himchan’s voice interrupted your thoughts again. “Listen to your oppa, okay? Don’t go over tonight.”

“Oppa,” you ventured tentatively. “Would it be so bad if we did get back together?”

“Yes!” he replied immediately. “My dear sister, have you gone mad? Have you forgotten how hard it was when you broke up? Have you forgotten how hard it was for me? I love both of you, so please don’t put yourselves through all that again.”

“Maybe it’s different this time,” you defended. “We’re both such different people now.”

“With even more commitments than when you were kids,” Himchan reminded you. “Now that we’re getting ready to debut, he’s going to be so much busier than before. When we go out into the spotlight, he’s not even going to be allowed to date. Are you going to live your life playing hide and seek?”

“Oppa, you’re assuming that you guys are going to make it big right?” you teased. “Maybe nobody’s gonna care about you guys and you can date whoever the hell you want.”

Your brother gently hit you on the head with his knuckle. “Ayyy… what do you know? You stupid girl, you never listen to me. You just wait and see. If you keep this up, you’ll just end up hating each other all over again, and who’s the one who’s going to suffer? Me!”

“Ya, you’re noisy,” you complain. Thankfully, you’ve reached the front of the MTV building, and you stop the car. “Okay, get out.”

“Don’t go over tonight!” Himchan said in a singsong voice as he got out of the car. “Annyeong, nae dongsaeng!”

You waved at him as he walked away, but the uneasy feeling didn’t leave with him. He could be right, as much nonsense as he talked. You and Yongguk never talked about your feelings, and each time you tried to broach the topic, he’d make a joke or change the topic. You had no idea what he was thinking at all. Feeling weary thinking about him, you did what you did best lately—you pushed it to the back of your mind and drove away.

 

Despite your brother’s warning, you had gone to the studio anyway. When you arrived, Yongguk was already there, hard at work. Now that the date of their debut was getting closer, he was almost permanently there and although you were beginning to feel more and more like a burden to him, he always welcomed you with a huge gummy smile. The more you came here, the harder it was to forget how similar the two of you were, and how everyone used to say that you were made for each other.

You waved at him as you entered the studio. He smiled his smile again, the one that lit up the whole room, and held up a finger to signal for you to wait. You sat down and waited for him to lift the headphones.

“Hana-ya, come over here for a second,” he said, motioning for you to go over. You did. He gestured for you to lean in, and he placed the headphones on you. “Listen to this.” He played a short bit of a track that Daehyun had recorded earlier in the day. “And then listen to this.” He played another version of the same part. “Which sounds better?”

You furrowed your brow. “They sound the same.”

“No, listen again,” he insisted, very casually placing his hands on your hips and pulling you down into his lap. Your eyes widened in surprise, but he didn’t seem to have realized what he had just done and was still engrossed in trying to get you to listen to the track. Your heart was pounding so loudly in your ears that you couldn’t have heard anything anyway. “At this part, I added this effect…” he was still trying to explain, showing you by clicking on the screen, but you weren’t looking. You were too busy studying his face wondering what the hell was going on in this boy’s head.

After eliciting no response, he finally realized the position you were in, and immediately removed his hand from your hip. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” He quickly leaned away from you, but you sat frozen in the same spot, looking at him with a mix of emotions that had rushed up from the place you’d suppressed them all, so messed up that you couldn’t even begin to start putting form to them. It felt like ages of silence had passed between you, before Yongguk slowly reached out and touched a rough hand to your cheek. Uncontrollably, your eyelids fluttered close, and in a split second, his lips were on yours.

His lips were so incredibly soft, and the kiss so tender that your heart ached for some unknown reason. You found yourself deepening the kiss, your hands sliding up to clasp around his neck as his strong arms encircled your waist. Only one thought surfaced in your mind as his tongue probed against yours: it was the same. Everything felt the same.

The moments after that disappeared into a whirl of sensations. You could barely even tell who was doing what, but somehow, Yongguk had managed to pick you up and maneuver you onto the couch and was lying on top of you. You couldn’t even tell which limbs were whose as you entangled yourselves with each other, his lips never leaving yours, even for a moment. You shivered as you felt his cold hand sliding under your shirt, resting on your hips for a long hesitant moment before creeping upwards. You couldn’t find it in yourself to stop him, even though you knew this wasn’t supposed to happen. All you could do was gasp helplessly as his lips travelled from your ear to your neck, leaving a fiery trail wherever they went.

It was all so familiar. Somehow he had unclasped your bra and it was now lost amidst the hazy blur (you had opted for a strapless one today), and it made you remember how he used to fumble with your bra, which often ruined moments of heated passion, and it had taken a lot of practice before he could remove one like a pro. Even the bulge that now rested against your thigh felt familiar, and for a moment, your mind protested. No, it wasn’t supposed to happen this way. Your burning body, however, thought otherwise.

“Stop,” you murmured, but that was caught in your throat as Yongguk tugged your shirt upwards urgently. Even as he attached his warm mouth to a , one hand was already working on ing your jeans. The pleasure that he was introducing to your body screamed against the rational workings of your mind. “Ohhh God… Stop… Stop!”

You’d raised your voice louder than you’d intended at that last proclamation, and alarmed, he raised his head, stopping everything that he was doing. It took you another second to compose yourself before you pushed his weight off you and straightened your clothes. The look on his face was as if you’d just slapped him again. You struggled to find the right words to say. “Oppa, I… Can’t…” Coming up short, you grabbed your bag and bolted.

You weren’t around to see it, but sitting in the room by himself, Yongguk punched the couch in rage before slumping down and burying his face in his hands.