One Man

What My Heart Tells Me To Do

 

As part of their Pacific Tour, the boys flew to Japan for two nights, and during that time, you did think hard about it. By the time Monday morning rolled around, you’d thought out a whole speech for Yongguk. You were actually going to take your brother’s advice and tell Yongguk how you felt and how he had nothing to worry about when it came to Dongwoon. Depending on how well you could keep check of your temper, you might even apologize first. With that thought, you woke up cheerful for the first time in a really long while, and was in the office fifteen minutes early.

To your surprise, when you entered the studio, the rest of the team was already there, and a very grumpy Yongguk was parked in front of the soundboard. The atmosphere was tense and everyone was speaking in hushed tones even though there was no music coming out from the speakers.

“You’re late,” one of the sound technicians whispered to you when you strolled in with your cup of coffee in hand.

You looked at your watch, frowning at her. “No, I’m not. Why is everyone here early?”

“Yongguk called us and told us we had to start earlier today. Didn’t you—”

“I didn’t call her.”

Both of you turned towards the direction of the deep voice, where its owner had rotated his chair around to look at you. “We don’t need you here today,” he continued flatly. “You can go work on something else.”

You’d resolved to settle your issues with him calmly, but the look he was giving you irritated you. You had to force yourself to keep your anger down as you stared levelly at him, crossing your arms. “We’re not done with the songs we were working on last week.”

“Then you can go work on it elsewhere,” he said coldly. “Go to that café again. Write with whoever you want. I don’t care.” You glared at him, fighting the urge to roll your eyes. “I’m writing something new today and I don’t need you to be involved.”

“Look, I know you’re producing this album,” you said shortly. “But I’m part of the songwriting team too. I don’t think it’s fair that you’re leaving me out of a song before it’s even written.”

You could feel the tension in the air as everyone in the room prepared themselves for another showdown between Yongguk and you. It was weird, because the two of you were the youngest in the composing team, but everyone else just stepped aside and let the two of you fight it out, even the two oldest hyungs, Kibum and Jiwon, who were technically in charge. They probably figured it was how the two of you worked creatively, and they basically just let you go at it as long as good writing came out of it at the end. They never stepped in unless either one of you asked them to.

“I already have most of the lyrics written,” Yongguk stated. “I don’t need your help here.”

“I’m participating in the creation of this album,” you insisted. “I don’t think I should be excluded from the process of any one song. I can help with the concept or—”

“I don’t think you’d be able to participate in this song.” His face remained expressionless as he interrupted you. “I’m writing about infidelity. It’s about the pain of dealing with an unfaithful partner. What do you even know about that?”

That statement hit you like a bucket of cold water, and you gasped at the ease at which he’d said it, as if it were only natural that you should identify yourself as the unfaithful partner in question. All the rage you’d suppressed rose up like a bubble in your chest, and despite your best efforts, you felt tears prickling at the back of your eyelids. You wanted to yell so many things at him, but you couldn’t, with all your colleagues in the room.

“Have you forgotten what you promised?” you hissed, lowering your voice to a whisper.

“You’re one to talk about promises,” he answered curtly.

Everyone was staring at the two of you by now, since the explosion they’d been expecting hadn’t happened yet. Usually, you’d have started raising your voices at each other by the end of the first two minutes. All your words died in your throat as you glared disbelievingly at the man before you, knowing he meant to hurt you with his words. All the fury you couldn’t articulate seemed to have converted themselves to tears; these tears rolled down your cheeks before you could stop them. If it were any other day, you might have screamed and shouted. You might have hit him, even in full view of everyone. But today, of all days, you didn’t know why you felt so emotional. His words stabbed at your heart more than at your ego, and speech failed you.

You could feel everyone gaping at you in shock as you stormed across the room and grabbed your bag. Even Yongguk looked a little taken aback by your reaction. No doubt, he was expecting you to put up a fight. Maybe he was picking a fight deliberately. You didn’t know. You could barely register anything as you fled from the room.

You stumbled through the hallway for a while, not knowing where you were trying to go. You didn’t want to go back into your office, or anywhere obvious like the bathroom, where concerned colleagues might waylay you. You just wanted to be alone for now, without anyone asking you questions. You couldn’t deal with that right now. You weren’t in the mood to explain your outburst while circumnavigating around the topic of you and Yongguk. Reaching the emergency exit at the end of the hallway, you pushed the door open. As the door slammed shut loudly, you collapsed onto one of the bottom steps.

Frustration filled you as you dug in your bag and found some tissues to wipe your face with. You had to remind yourself to take deep breaths to calm yourself down. You hated fighting with Yongguk, especially when you knew he wanted so badly to win. The biggest disadvantage of knowing each other so well was that you knew exactly how to get under each other’s skin, and he’d done just that. You swiped angrily at your disobedient tears, knowing he’d won. It was ridiculous how far the two of you would go to hurt each other, but when it came down to the wire, you knew it hurt because you couldn’t stop loving him.

The door clicked open and you looked up to see a morose Yongguk coming towards you. You glared hard at him, but he avoided your eyes as he stopped in front of you and handed you a pack of tissues. You ignored his offer, turning your head away as the door shut again with a resounding echo. You heard him sigh as he sat down on the floor in front of you. Strangely enough, the scene reminded you of the year before, when you’d had to sneak out to meet each other at this very same place. Back then, the boys were just making their debut and you and Yongguk were just falling back in love with each other.

How much things have changed since then.

Yongguk pulled a piece of tissue paper from the packet and leaned towards you, tilting your head towards him with one hand. With the other hand, he dabbed at your eyes with the tissue. You bristled at the gesture, jerking your head away from him violently and giving him another glare. He gave you an irritated ‘tsk’ before holding your head in place with both hands and trying to wipe your tears again. You pushed his hands away, exasperated. “Stop doing that!”

He kept his hands to himself, but looked sorrowfully at you. “You know I don’t like to see you cry.”

You snorted in derision. “I’m sure.”

“I don’t,” he insisted quietly. “I’m sorry.”

For reasons unknown, you felt your eyes filling up again when he apologized. He lifted the hand with the tissue again and you snatched it from him, wiping your eyes yourself. “What are you sorry for?”

He blinked a couple of times, before looking down at the floor. “For saying mean things.” He his lips before he spoke again. “I just can’t control myself.”

You let out a dry laugh. “Do you honestly think that I cheated on you?”

He frowned, but didn’t answer.

“You’re such an idiot, you know that?” you asked brusquely. “What do I have to make you believe me? I didn’t cheat on you. The thought has never even crossed my mind.”

“But…”

“I did remain in contact with Dongwoon after the shoot,” you continued, cutting him off. “But I don’t see him as anything other than an old friend. He’s been away from Korea for a long time and he doesn’t have that many friends here. Is it wrong for me to help him out?”

Yongguk pursed his lips into a thin line. “He’s not an old friend. He’s an ex-boyfriend.”

“Whatever we had, that was in the past,” you argued. “I feel nothing towards him now. In case you haven’t noticed, I rekindled an old relationship and that’s not working out too well. I don’t think I’d like to try another ex.”

“It’s not funny,” he said plainly, furrowing his brow at you.

“Sorry.”

You were both silent for a moment, and you could see the look of concentration on Yongguk’s face as he struggled for the right words. His anger had dissipated by now, and you could see his features softening.

“I want to be able to trust you,” Yongguk said softly. “I know my jealousy is something I have to work on, but I need you to be honest with me. I can’t stop my imagination from running wild when you keep things from me.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Dongwoon doing the shoot with me,” you told him, playing with the tissue in your hands. “I was afraid you’d get mad, but I guess it was worse when you found out on your own. I was wrong. But I swear nothing is going on between us. I’m not going out with him or anything of that sort. When you saw that phone call, he’d called the wrong number. When Jongup and Junhong saw us together, we honestly just bumped into each other at the café. I know it’s all hard to believe, but I really need you to trust me.”

He was silent for a moment. “It’s hard for me,” he admitted. “Especially since I know how it feels to be one of your ex-boyfriends trying to get back into your heart. Even if I can trust you, I don’t trust him.”

You shoved him lightly. “You think I can’t take care of myself?” You saw a hint of a smile playing on the corner of his lips. “I’m a big girl, oppa. I know how to read people. He really isn’t trying to get back into my life the way you think he is. The moment I sense otherwise, I’ll keep my distance, I promise. My heart only has enough room for one man.”

“And you’re sure you know who you want that man to be?”

You cocked your head at him. “I think so. Although sometimes he can be really cruel and he loses his temper easily.”

Yongguk gave you a sad smile. “Even if he’s too busy to spend time with you or tell you often that he loves you more than anything in the world?”

“Are you asking me to reconsider?”

“No,” he said quickly, moving up to the step you were sitting on so he could pull you into a firm embrace, his hand pressing your head into his shoulder, where you inhaled gratefully his familiar scent. “No, don’t reconsider. Don’t leave me.” He kissed the side of your head, his voice turning slightly urgent and pleading. “I’ve probably asked for a lot from you, and I’m sorry that I’m asking for more. Give me time, babe. Be patient with me. I’ll work on my temper, I promise. I’ll work on being less jealous. I’m sorry for every cruel word I’ve said to you. I promise I’ll make it up to you. Just don’t leave me.”

“I’m not leaving,” you assured him, your arms circling tightly around him. You were clinging on to each other as if you’d been apart for a really long time, and it felt that way even though you’d been seeing each other quite frequently. “I may have said some hurtful things, and I know I need to work on my temper too. But no matter what, I don’t want you to feel like I’m comparing you to other men. You can be such a jerk sometimes, but I don’t want anyone else. I love you, you big pabo.”

You heard his low chuckle beside your ear.

“God, I’ve missed you.”


Author's note: So here's a happy ending... or not.

I don't know if anyone's following my timeline, but it's the end of May in this chapter, and that means I'm catching up with real time... I structure my story based on BAP's real schedule, which means I'm running out of things to write as I approach August in the story. I probably could post my chapters slower so that I can drag it out, but I think I've gotten to quite an exciting part in the story, and I just hammer out the parts when I'm not getting drowned by schoolwork. So... yeah, I guess my point is that this story is gonna end soon-ish... Maybe ten more chapters or less? I have an ending in mind, but please feel free to make predictions or suggestions! ^^

I know I held a poll previously and the results were pretty clear. I am REALLY grateful that so many of you guys love this story. You have no idea how much it means to me that so many of you didn't want this story to end. It brings a tear to my eye :') After this ends, I wouldn't rule out a sequel. Maybe I'll give BAP a few months to chalk up enough episodes for me to write about, and we'll see if I can restart it. The second most popular option was my music story, but as I've been writing and rewriting, I kinda ended up deleting most of it because I wasn't too happy with how it looked. I guess I also got quite sick of writing it 'cause the events kinda ended up being quite similar to this story and it felt weird that I was writing the same story with a different female lead. I've been consistently writing my gangster Bang one, and I've gotten pretty far with it, since I could do whatever I wanted with the plot, and the whole Badman concept really kept my excitement up about its criminal backdrop. I also started a couple of other shorter stories, but nothing substantial yet (gosh, I have the attention span of a goldfish). I'll just keep writing and see which one is ready to see the world by the time I'm done with WMHTMTD, I suppose? I guess the point of this ramble is just to keep you guys updated about how I'm feeling as I'm writing. And to let you guys get mentally prepared for the wrapping up of the Bang-Hana story 'cause I know some of you are pretty emotionally attached to this couple (as am I). I'm interested to know how you guys think it'll end, so do let me know in the comments (maybe I'll steal some of your ideas heh)!

To end off... how many of you have seen Dae's abs on SSTP? I spazzed so hard I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a full minute. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME JUNG DAEHYUNNNNNNNN?!?!?!?! 

xx.