Unbreakable

What My Heart Tells Me To Do

 

By the next morning, the posts were up. There were, as expected, comments saying you must have been really close with the boys; there were some jealous comments; and there were the downright mean ones, the ones that demanded for you to keep your hands off them, and some that called you ridiculous names. Generally, those didn’t bother you much. Having modeled since high school, you were pretty much used to personal attacks and they didn’t affect you much. As long as there weren’t any comments that might affect the popularity of the BAP boys, you were fine. You could only imagine how much worse it could have been if their manager hadn’t sent the boys out to put on that show. Deciding you had done enough stalking for the day, you lay on the couch, reading till Yongguk was free to come over. Today was your day and you weren’t going to let any negativity ruin it.

It was raining by the time he arrived, but despite being slightly drizzled on, he’d shown up smiling brightly, looking like a kid who had just been given half a day off school. You’d just barely gotten the door closed, but he’d already hung up his coat and was sweeping you up in a hug. “Finally!” he proclaimed, as you burrowed into his comforting arms. He smelled good. The faint scent of rain lingered on him, but under that lay the familiar smell of aftershave and slightly musky cologne.

Pulling back, you took off his cap and rearranged his hair a little. “Did you have to walk a long way in the rain? Strange isn’t it, that it’s raining so early in the year?”

“Our manager hyung dropped me off in front of your building,” he answered with a shake of his head. Then, he grinned and took your hands, putting them around his own waist. “All the snow must have thawed because I feel so warm.”

You laughed and shoved him playfully. “Please, you’re giving me the chills right now. Do you want some coffee or anything?”

“No, don’t get me anything,” he said, pulling you to the couch. “Today, you’re just gonna sit here and let me hold you.”

“Oppa, since when did you get so mushy?” you questioned, even though you kind of enjoyed his tender moments. It’d been so long since you’d actually been together without fighting or getting upset with each other. “I think I will have to kick you out if you keep this up.”

“You can try, but I’m going to make sure you’re stuck with me today,” he insisted petulantly, which you had to admit, was irresistibly adorable despite his baritone voice. He sat grinning at you and playing with your hands for a moment before he suddenly thought of something. “Do you want to monitor our reality show with me? I haven’t had time to watch the last couple of episodes and I wanna see how they turned out.”

You got up and fetched your laptop, placing it on the coffee table so the both of you could sit on the floor against the couch and watch it together. The moment you pulled up the screen, however, the last page you were browsing opened up. It was the gossip blog you were reading earlier, complete with photos of you and the boys outside the restaurant the night before. Before you could close it, Yongguk pre-empted you and held your hands down so he could read what was on the screen.

“Ya, why are you reading such things?” he demanded, scanning the page with his eyes. “Don’t read these in future. People just say what they want to without thinking.”

You yanked your hands free from him and closed the tab hurriedly. “I’m a girl. I like to read gossip blogs. If I asked you to stop watching , will you stop?”

“I’m serious,” he insisted, re-capturing your hands again and giving you a completely serious face.

You sighed. “I know you’re worried about me, but I’m fine okay? I was just curious. My brother and my boyfriend are famous. Isn’t it normal to want to see what people are saying about them? You know I don’t get bothered by criticism.”

Yongguk gave you a doubtful look, but he didn’t push the issue further. Instead, he had moved on to reading the other page that you had left open. “What’s this? Are you thinking of doing volunteer work overseas?”

“No,” you said quickly. Then, realizing you sounded slightly guilty, you added, “I just wanted to donate some money to some of these orphans. It’s the least I could do.”

He wasn’t paying much attention to you at this point. “Ya, do you want kids?”

You blinked, wondering where this was coming from. “What?”

“We can foster some of these kids,” he said, lost in whatever he was reading. He wasn’t even looking at you anymore, but you could see his eyes light up.

“Both of us?” you asked, bewildered. “From Cambodia?”

He nodded, looking at you as if it were the most brilliant idea. “These kids need financial support. You’re earning money, I’m earning money. We can have kids.”

“And bring them to Seoul?” you continued, stumped by what he was saying. “Oppa, are you crazy?”

He laughed. “Pabo. Did you even read the page carefully? We just have to contribute a certain amount of money a month and we can support a child there. Look, you can even communicate with them through letters and stuff. Isn’t that meaningful?”

Of course, you hadn’t read the page he was talking about, since you were actually reading the volunteer page. You were relieved though. “Oh. Yeah. I guess I wasn’t reading it properly.”

Yongguk looked at you, amused. “Why did you react like that when you thought I wanted to bring a child here? You don’t want to have a child with me?” Grinning mischievously, he slid his arms around your waist. “Or would you prefer to do it the natural way?”

You swatted at him and instinctively shifted about a foot away, frowning. “Ya, don’t joke about things like that. It’s not even funny.”

He laughed, pulling you back towards him again. “Okay, okay, I won’t. We should do this sponsorship thing, though. We can get a joint account and put money in together. It’d be like having our own kids.”

“You need to stop thinking these weird things, oppa,” you complained, glaring at him. “And it’s not even practical. If we break up, what will happen to these kids?”

You need to stop thinking weird things,” he corrected you. “After everything that has happened, you think I’m going to let you break up with me again? I won’t marry anyone other than you.”

“Ya, Bang Yong Guk,” you warned, shifting away from him again. “I said to stop joking about such things.”

“Ya, Kim Ha Na, I’m not joking.”

“Oppa, please, you’re only 23…”

Yongguk cocked his head, examining you with bemused eyes. “I thought girls would be the ones thinking about getting married and having kids, but you’re so afraid of even talking about it. I think you’re wired differently from normal girls.”

“I wasn’t aware that you wanted normal girls,” you pointed out. “Now, do you still want to watch your show, or do you want to find some normal girls to watch it with you?”

“Okay, okay, don’t get mad,” he said, draping his arms over you and kissing the top of your head. “I won’t say anything else to offend our royal princess. Otherwise, your brother will find ways to torture me again.”

You leaned back into him. “What did he do to you?”

“He made me eat this really spicy jjampong,” he complained, trying to find the episode so you could watch it. “Oh, I feel like crying just thinking about the taste.”

The two of you watched the episode together, and throughout, you were laughing nonstop, much to the annoyance of Yongguk. The concept of the show portrayed them as aliens, and it was an episode where Yongguk was trying to figure out what made men charming to girls on Earth.

“Why don’t you learn how to drive, oppa?” you asked as you watched the scene where he gets chased out of the car while trying to impress a girl with his parking because he didn’t have a driving license.

“Why would I need one?” he answered. “I have you to drive me around.”

“Says you,” you replied, before bursting into laughter again at Yongguk bringing upon himself the challenge of having to take off his coat and doing push-ups in front of a random girl in the streets. You turned to him. “Oppa, you know what’s the most charming thing about you?”

“What?”

“Your voice,” you told him. “You’re only cool when you rap.”

“Ya, what do you mean by “only”?” he demanded, nudging you. “Who do you think is the most handsome in BAP? Other than your brother.”

“Himchan oppa looks most like an alien out of all of you,” you said, laughing. You thought about his question for a moment. “I would say… Daehyunnie.”

He pretended to be hurt. “You’re supposed to show some support for me! I exercised a lot, you know?”

“Really?” you asked, feigning surprise. You touched his chest and arms through the sweatshirt he was wearing. “It’s alright. Keep working on it.”

“Ya, Kim Ha Na!” he laughed, grabbing you and tickling you.

You couldn’t stop laughing as you struggled against him in vain. “You can’t force me! I like Daehyunnie!”

“No, you can’t like him!”

The two of you ended up wrestling each other and rolling on the floor, giggling and playing around like you were teenagers again. You haven’t felt this carefree and giddily happy in a while. It wasn’t until the both of you were out of breath and gasping for air from all the laughter that you realized the position you were in. Somehow, your legs were wrapped around his waist and he was on top of you, pinning your hands to the floor. Heart thumping, you felt your breath catch as he, too, realized it and leaned his head down towards yours.