Late Night Conversations

What My Heart Tells Me To Do

Author's note: Since you guys are such awesome readers, here's some sickeningly sweet fluff for you!

xx.


 

The two of you lay in bed for a long time afterwards, talking. You couldn’t remember the last time you’d had a proper conversation with each other without any yelling or hurtful snipes, but for once, you felt really relaxed and for the most part, your defenses were down. You were clothed again now, and bundled up among the sheets, your head on Yongguk’s shoulder as his left arm fit snugly under your neck. You could feel his steady heartbeat, and the low vibrations in his chest as he spoke, and it was the warmest, most comforting feeling in the world.

“Oppa,” you said suddenly, tilting your head up at him. “You do realize that this technically makes you a cheater right?”

“But I never stopped thinking of you as my girlfriend,” he pointed out. “You were just my girlfriend who ran away.”

“Which means you cheated on me with her first?”

He paused to think about it for a moment. “But I didn’t do anything with her.”

“She’s still your girlfriend.”

“I didn’t ask her to be my girlfriend or anything. She just asked if she was and I said yes because it was a convenient way of introducing her to others.”

You elbowed him in the ribs. “You’re such a jerk. Don’t you know girls take these things really seriously?”

In revenge, he poked you in the side. “It’s all your fault. If you hadn’t left, I wouldn’t have been vulnerable to other girls.”

“But you held her hand.”

“So?”

“Did you kiss her?”

He hesitated, and you immediately jabbed him again. “And you said you didn’t have feelings for her?”

Yongguk’s right arm came up to hold yours so you wouldn’t attack him again. “It was her birthday, and I didn’t know, so I improvised. Look, I’m sorry, okay? I shouldn’t have gotten another girl involved. I’ll tell her… soon.”

“Soon?” you questioned. “Bang, you’re not hoping that she’ll get the hint and back off by herself if you ignore her long enough right?”

Silence.

You sat up and whirled around to face him, horrified. “You can’t be serious.”

 He pulled you back down against him. “How do you expect me to tell her? “Hey, I’m sorry I was just using you to make another girl jealous. I’ve got her back now, so I don’t need you anymore, bye.” Is that what you want me to say?”

“I don’t know, that’s your burden,” you shot back huffily. “You should have thought of that earlier. Did you know that she came to look for me today?”

“Really? What did she say?”

“She wanted me to back off and not compete with her for you,” you said. He didn’t respond. “And then she tried to ask me for tips to seduce you.” At this, he burst out laughing. “Ya, is this funny? You enjoy having two girls vying for your attention, don’t you? Let me tell you now that I’m not going to fight her for you.”

“Ya, why?” he demanded, grabbing you to hold you down when you tried to move away and squeezing you in a tight hug. “Why won’t you fight for me?”

“You’re a bad guy.”

Yongguk just laughed and nuzzled his face in your neck. “She asked the right person though, didn’t she? I just have to see you and I go crazy.”

You sighed. “If you had gone back to your room last night, you might not be here tonight. Did she tell you she was planning to sleep with you last night?”

“No, but believe me, I wouldn’t have touched her,” he assured you, planting a kiss on your forehead. “There’s one girl I’m saving myself for.”

You slid your arm around his waist, hugging him back. “She really likes you though.”

“Don’t you like me too?”

“It’s different,” you said, rolling away from him to lie flat again, staring at the ceiling. “She sees a future with you but for me, it’s already been proven that our relationship can’t last.”

Yongguk didn’t try to stop you, but instead just took your hand and laced his fingers with yours as you both lay on your backs. “That’s not true. We had our ups and downs, but if you’re keeping count, it’s been almost… six years? You did spend half that time running away from me, but you always came back. It’s not a perfect relationship, but you can’t say that it doesn’t last.”

“Remember when we first dated? We stopped loving each other towards the end, didn’t we?”

“We were young, and stupid,” Yongguk admitted. “I thought about this a lot. We just got too used to each other and started getting curious about other newer people. But once I lost you, I started to realize that I never stopped loving you. Our love just grew into another form, and we were too young to understand it. On hindsight, maybe we needed that break, to date other people before we found out for ourselves that we were supposed to be together.”

“You sound really deep,” you teased.

“I was forced to think a lot about all these stuff after you ran off and dated someone else,” he said, squeezing your hand tightly. “At first I took it as a competition and started seeing all these girls, but I realized they didn’t fill the hole you left behind, and I just focused on my music because I thought you’d regret leaving me if I got really successful.”

You smiled ruefully at him. “I left you because we weren’t happy. It had nothing to do with anything else. Ya, if you’re so mature, why do you have a girlfriend now to make me jealous?”

“In case you haven’t realized, I tend not to employ logic very well when dealing with you,” he pointed out, laughing slightly. “You do all these crazy things that I can’t figure out, and in response I start doing all these crazy things I can’t explain. Ya, can you please stop it and start being a proper girlfriend? I’d like to stop behaving like a madman too.”

“I’m not your girlfriend right now.”

Yongguk rolled over on his side to look at you. “You really can’t let this go, can you?”

“How would you feel if my new boyfriend came to you asking you to teach him how to touch me?” you asked pointedly.

“I’m sorry,” he said, pouting as he nudged you. “I promise I’ll break up with her properly and then you will be my only girlfriend.”

“I didn’t say I wanted to be your girlfriend.”

“You don’t have to say it. You’ve shown me enough.” Yongguk teasingly tugged the hem of your shirt upwards and you swatted his hand away. Laughing, he motioned for you to scoot closer. “Come here.” You shifted, and he moved so your head was cradled against his chest again, both his arms encircling you. He seemed peaceful and contented, and you realized it’d been a long time since you’d seen this side of him. “I know I’m still lacking a lot and I can’t be the perfect boyfriend. I’m not going to have a lot of time for you, and I’m not going to be able to do many things with you. We can’t do romantic things like going to amusement parks or even simple things like walking down the street together…”

“Oppa,” you interrupted him. “Why are you worrying about this? Did you forget our first two years together? We’ve done all of these. Besides, I hate roller-coasters and so do you.”

“I’m just saying, we can’t be like a normal couple,” he said. “I can’t even openly tell everyone that we’re together, and I’ll probably have to pretend I’m single on broadcasts and be put in compromising situations with other girls like with Park Gyuri that time. I’m going to be going overseas on tours and there will be many difficult times…”

“Ya, are you trying to keep me or scare me away again?” you teased. “I don’t need you to romance me or prepare events, or be here every second of the day. I just don’t want to be a burden to you. I’m just afraid you might find someone better and decide that—”

Yongguk tightened his grip around you. “Ya, nobody can be better for me, you hear me? You are my other half. I wouldn’t be complete without you.”

“Do you know Aristophanes?” you asked suddenly.

Yongguk looked absolutely befuddled. “Aristo-who?”

“Aristophanes, the guy who said that mankind was created double but were split into half so they had to wander the earth searching for their other halves… you have no idea what I’m talking about and you don’t care, do you?”

“Not everyone is a nerd like you,” he teased, laughing. “Excuse me, I’m trying to be romantic here. Can you not ruin the moment with your old English dudes?”

“He’s Greek.”

“Ya…”

“Sorry.”

“As I was saying,” he continued, and you snuggled comfortably against him. “I probably won’t be around a lot, but with you working at my office and staying right down the hall from my dorm, I can give you full reign over any free time I have.”

You felt your heart swell as he spoke. As much as his spiteful words had hurt before, you were beginning to see that he’d carefully planned everything in order to make sure that you felt secure with him. You understood that he wanted you to see how much he was ready to commit to you so that you wouldn’t have a reason to doubt him again. At that moment, you felt the full magnitude of how much he truly loved you and wanted things to work out, and it made you so happy your heart ached. You turned your head to look up at him, your eyes communicating the love and gratitude you couldn’t express, and he leaned down to kiss you gently, acknowledging that he understood.

Yet, naturally, if you didn’t have doubts, you wouldn’t be Kim Ha Na. In a small voice, you whispered, “What if you get tired of me faster, since you have to see me everywhere?”

“I wouldn’t dare,” he said, laughter dancing in his eyes. “What if you just hop on another plane with some other man again? Ah, maybe I should steal your passport.”

You glared at him, but the effectiveness of the glare was diminished by a yawn.

“Sleepy?” he asked, squeezing you tighter again. The whole night, he’d been intermittently doing that, as if he still couldn’t quite believe that you were really lying there peacefully in his arms without trying to injure him.

You nodded. “Are you staying?”

Yongguk glanced at the clock by your bed. It was 2am; way past your bedtime. “I wish I could, but we have to be up by 6 to go to the salon. Our manager will flip if he comes over and finds me missing.”

Reluctantly, you untangled yourself from his embrace. “You’d better get going then. You don’t have much time left to sleep.”

“You were worth all the sleep I lost though,” he said, grinning and giving you one last, long kiss before getting up and heading for the door.

He was halfway out when you stopped him. “Wait, I washed the shirt that you left with me. I’ll go get it.”

Yongguk reached out a hand to stop you, flashing you a gummy smile. “Keep it. I want you to owe me.”