The Green-Eyed Monster

What My Heart Tells Me To Do

 

It was a Sunday morning and you were sitting beside a man who was not your boyfriend, holding his hand. From across the room, said boyfriend caught your eye and flashed you a grin.

Why, you might wonder?

Well, that man happened to be Zelo and you were in the salon with the boys, watching them get styled for a photoshoot later. The maknae was getting his hair bleached again since his dark roots were growing out. It was hard maintaining the silver hairdo, and his scalp had to suffer in the process. Even though he had to bleach his hair often, the chemicals still stung and he was gripping your hand tightly as the bleach set. You the back of his hand comfortingly with your left hand as he grabbed your right.

“I’m sorry we told on you, noona,” he said quietly to you. “I heard that Yongguk hyung made you cry because of that. If I had known that he was going to get so mad, I wouldn’t have told him.”

“It’s okay, Junhong ah,” you assured him. “If he hadn’t made me cry, we wouldn’t have made up. Did you think I was being unfaithful too?”

He looked a little flustered, and you knew his answer. “I didn’t at first, but Yongguk hyung said… you and that person… and we saw you with him, so…”

You patted his hand, knowing he was having a hard time answering you. He was so cute when he was stuttering and blinking furiously, struggling to find the right words to say so that he wouldn’t hurt your feelings. The boy was so precious he always awakened every maternal instinct you had within you, even though he was only five years younger than you. “I’m not a bad person,” you told him. You pointed at Yongguk’s reflection in the mirror. “This hyung is a bad person. Don’t listen to everything he says about me.”

Yongguk caught you pointing at him and he called across the room, “Ya, what are you two saying about me?”

Zelo stuck his tongue out at his hyung through the reflection in the mirror. “Not telling you!”

Yongguk laughed. “You little…”

You turned and stuck out your tongue at him too, just as the hairstylist came over and said it was time for Junhong to rinse out his hair. He let go of your hand and stood up. “Thanks, noona,” he said with an adorable grin before he was led away. When he was gone, you shook your hand to regain the feeling in them before walking over to sit on the couch in the waiting area.

A while later, Yongguk came and sat beside you on the couch. “Why didn’t you sit beside me and hold my hand too?”

You raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you jealous of a high school kid now?”

He shook his head. “Nope. Who’s jealous? Not me. I’m a cool boyfriend. Why would I be jealous?”

You pretended to think about it for a moment. “Well, he is taller and cuter than you…”

“Ya!” he protested, before grabbing your hand and lacing his fingers with yours. “What are you saying? You’re mine, you hear me?”

You tried to pull your hand back, but he held on tightly. “Ya, what are you doing? We’re in a public place!”

Yongguk grabbed one of the plush cushions on the couch and placed it over your entwined hands. “There, now nobody can see.”

You couldn’t help but laugh as he grinned at you proudly. You’d missed that huge smile of his, and his unintended aegyo.

“Hana!”

You both turned when you heard someone call your name, and Yongguk's face fell immediately when he saw who had just strode through the door. It was Dongwoon, wearing his usual bright smile on his face. However, even his sunny disposition dimmed a few notches when he locked eyes with Yongguk. You swore you felt the atmosphere turn cold, and from across the room, you could see your brother looking on worriedly.

You smiled nervously at Dongwoon, your eyes flickering briefly towards Yongguk. His face was blank but you felt his grip on your hand tightening slightly. “Hey.”

To your surprise, Yongguk released your hand and stood up, offering his hand to Dongwoon. “Hello. Long time no see.”

Dongwoon responded quickly, shaking his hand and bowing politely. “Yeah, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“You come to this shop too?”

“Yeah, a friend recommended me.”

You could hardly believe your eyes as they made small talk with each other. Clearly, Yongguk was making an effort to be more understanding, and it made your heart swell with affection. Ignoring the fact that the staff at the salon might see you, you stood beside him and slipped your hand into his. Yongguk tilted his head towards you and gave you a smile that melted your heart.

Dongwoon turned to you. “Oh, have you received the invitation to the Cavalier party? Are you intending to go?”

You shook your head. “I haven’t checked my mailbox the past couple of days. What party?”

“Apparently they’re doing a collaboration line with an American designer, so they’re having a launch party,” Dongwoon answered. “It’s one of those fancy cocktail party things with free-flow champagne and lots of important people, I suppose. It’s happening on the 12th.”

You scrunched up your nose. “Doesn’t sound like my scene. You’re going?”

“My manager says I have to,” he said, making a face. “He thinks it’s a great opportunity to meet people and stuff.” Then, he gestured to Yongguk. “We’re allowed plus ones. Although I’m not sure how that would work, since you’re famous and you probably charge appearance fees for showing up at events right?”

Yongguk shrugged. “I’m not allowed to make decisions like that on my own. But I’ll be in Taiwan on the 12th anyway.” He nudged you. “You should go.”

“Me? Why?”

“It’s not every day you get invited to one of these cool celebrity events,” Yongguk said. “I don’t even get invited to these.”

“You don’t get invited because they have to pay you to attend,” you pointed out. “And they can’t invite you guys anyway because not all of you are old enough to be photographed holding champagne glasses.”

“If you come, I’ll have company,” Dongwoon said, smiling at you hopefully.

You felt Yongguk squeeze your hand for just a brief second, and you looked at him, sensing that he was uncomfortable with where the conversation was heading. However, he merely smiled and nodded. “Yeah, you should go together.”

“Not together,” Dongwoon said quickly, eyes darting from Yongguk to you. “But, you know… We can see each other there.”

You were still looking at Yongguk, trying to guess what he was thinking. On one hand, you knew that he wouldn’t be happy with the idea of you and Dongwoon being together for sure, but on the other hand, he seemed pretty determined to prove that he wouldn’t be jealous. It was almost as if you had to go so that he could change.

“You should go,” he repeated, nodding at you to tell you that he really was okay with it. Or at least, that he was going to try to be okay about it.

You looked hesitantly at Dongwoon. “Well, I guess I’m going then.”

Dongwoon grinned. “Great.”

Before the conversation could continue any further though, the boys’ manager appeared behind you, and discreetly tapped Yongguk’s forearm. He dropped your hand and you withdrew it quickly.

“We have to go. Hana, are you staying here or are you coming with us?”

You shook your head quickly. “No, I’m not going with you guys. I’m leaving from here.” You’d already talked about it with Yongguk beforehand, and as much as the two of you wanted to spend every second together after fighting for so long, you’d both agreed that it didn’t make sense for a songwriter to tag along on a photoshoot. Besides, it was for an ad campaign, which meant that there would be tons of new people there, and you didn’t want to be put in the awkward situation of having to explain why you were there.

Their manager nodded. “Okay. I’ll go round up the boys.” He shot Yongguk another warning look before he left, and you shifted awkwardly a couple of inches away from him. Nobody said dating a celebrity was easy.

Dongwoon gave you a curious look, flicking his eyes towards Yongguk. He didn’t say anything, but you understood and nodded. You hadn’t told him that you and Yongguk were okay, but you supposed that was pretty apparent now. Dongwoon smiled and nodded knowingly.

“So, I guess your appointment is after ours?” Yongguk asked Dongwoon, interrupting your silent exchange.

Dongwoon nodded. “Yeah. I have a shoot around here in a couple hours.”

Yongguk nodded too, shoving his hands into his pockets. You weren’t expecting them to become best friends in an instant, and although you commended Yongguk for his effort, their awkward small talk was getting a bit painful to watch. There was a moment of silence before he turned to you. “What are you gonna do for the rest of the day?”

You looked at your watch. “I promised Daehyunnie I’ll have dinner ready for you guys when you’re done, but I have some time before that. Maybe I’ll head back to the office and get some work done.”

“On a Sunday?” Dongwoon asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You’re both working,” you shot back.

“He’s right,” Yongguk chimed in. “As your producer, I ban you from working today.”

You frowned at him. “You can’t ban people from working.”

“Yes, I can.”

Dongwoon grinned. “And I believe he just did.”

You folded your arms crossly. “Are you both ganging up on me now?”

The two boys laughed and Yongguk your hair affectionately for a moment before he remembered his manager’s warning and withdrew his hand quickly. “I have an idea. Why don’t you stay here and get your hair done?”

“I don’t need my hair done,” you protested.

“Actually—” Dongwoon started.

“Shut up,” you hissed, cutting him off.

Yongguk chuckled. “Seriously, babe. Take a while to relax a little. You can get your hair cut or washed or colored. Do whatever you want. I’ll charge it to my personal card. Take it as a treat from me, okay?”

You glared at him. “I’m going to get the most expensive procedure they have.”

“If you wish.”

 

That was how you ended up sitting in a chair beside Dongwoon, both of you with your hair plastered to your head with dye.

“I can’t believe your boyfriend let you hang out with me,” he was saying as he snapped a photo of you with his phone. “Are you sure you brought the right twin?”

“It must be hard for him, but I guess he’s trying to be understanding,” you agreed. “He must be going crazy with worry right now. Hey, are you taking pictures of me?”

Dongwoon laughed and drew his hand back when you tried to snatch his phone. “You look funny. Let’s take one together.”

You posed and he snapped a selca of both of you. You laughed when he showed the photo to you. You did look funny with all that gunk in your hair. “Send it to me.”

“I’ll post it on my SNS and tag you,” he replied, distracted by whatever he was doing on his phone. “What’s your username on Instagram?”

“I don’t have one,” you answered nonchalantly.

Dongwoon’s head snapped up and he stared incredulously at you. “You don’t have one? What are you, a cavewoman?”

“Why do I need so many?”

“Give me your phone,” Dongwoon demanded. “I’ll create one for you.”

You handed over your phone. “Nobody’s going to care what I post.”

“Of course people will care,” he insisted. “Come on, you have to keep up with the times! I’m sure lots of your friends are on Instagram. I’ll import your friend list from your other SNS apps.”

You shrugged. “You can do whatever you want, but I’m probably not going to use it.”

Dongwoon grinned at you as he got busy messing with your phone. “Then I’ll make sure you post something every time I see you.”