Look Behind Your Back

220

Junsu opened his eyes when he thought someone was beside him. He fell asleep after he fought his tears and being alone. He was so exhausted he slept throughout the day.

"Changmin?" the tall guy was looking at him. "How...how did you...?"

"Do you think I wouldn't know where you put your keys?" Changmin said with a playful tone. He scooted nearer to Junsu who was still wrapped inside his comforter and only wearing thin shirt and shorts. Junsu smiled at him.

"The one person that I can count on..." Junsu smiled sheepishly while looking downward. "Life had been bad for me I wish Death will take me away..." Changmin put a finger on Junsu's lips shutting him up.

"Don't say things so pessimistic like that. It isn't like you at all."

"And you're not..." Junsu blinked, it felt so surreal that Changmin was here in this house with him. He crept closer and wrapped Changmin's arms around him as he snuggled closer to the younger man. "Just hold me close Changmin. The only thing that's real to me is you..."

Changmin didn't say anything. He looked down upon Junsu and felt like the older man would collapse anytime soon. He looked so fragile and vulnerable that he was so afraid he couldn't let Junsu go.

But what about...?

Changmin sighed silently. His heart was filled by guilt because even when he's holding Junsu, he's remembering Jaejoong. The feelings when both of them were in his hands were exactly the same. Changmin felt the need to protect them, to be the stronger one although he was younger than both of them.

'Don't leave me.' Jaejoong's voice echoed again. 'Don't. Please.'

"How about you and Jaejoong now?" suddenly Junsu's voice invaded his train of thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"Jaejoong? Did he know you're here?" Junsu straightened up. Changmin bit the inside of his lips and nodded.

"He knew and he is upset."

"Then, you shouldn't be here." Junsu pushed Changmin lightly but Changmin held on to Junsu's hand.

"It's because I still couldn't figure out whether I'm with the right person or not."

"He's the right person for you."

"But I'm willing to make sure." Changmin held Junsu's face and looked into his eyes. Junsu stared back at him. "How can you read me so well?"

"Changmin..."

"You make me feel that I couldn't live without you, you know me so well. You know how I will react and what I was thinking." Changmin shook his head when Junsu opened his mouth to say something. "You made me like this. You made me felt like I was the only person in the world that would always be there for you, but in reality I'm not."

Junsu hid his eyes, his face reddened.

"In reality, I don't even know who you really are."

"I am who I am, the person that you knew since high school."

"Then you would know how much I worry for you! You would know how much I care. Don't just push me away like I don't matter." Junsu gave him a weak smile.

"Thank you for caring for me. Thank you for being here for me." they fell into silence for a while. Junsu pushed Changmin's hands lightly from his face.

"You know how I really feel about you." Changmin said coldly.

"You won't mean it now." Junsu replied coolly.

"Do you want me to prove it?" Changmin pulled Junsu again and kissed him on the mouth. Junsu closed his eyes but he didn't kiss him back. He let Changmin explore the anatomy of his lips. Changmin was eager but he knew Junsu would never return the kiss back.

Changmin pulled away and gathered himself again. Junsu opened his eyes and saw Jaejoong was standing at the door of his room, wide-eyed and pale-faced.

*

'It's not going to work between us, Jaejoong.' Yunho said while they were walking their way home. Jaejoong looked up at Yunho, asking him to explain more even though he knew exactly what Yunho meant. Yunho watched him back but he didn't elaborate. Jaejoong his lower lip and averted his gaze away.

'I saw you kissed him.'

Yunho was still silent.

'You know he loves someone else.'

'I just want to try my luck.'

'You expect him to love you back when you kissed him?' Jaejoong turned to Yunho again, his eyes accused him fiercely. His face burnt of jealousy that he knew he didn't deserved to be.

'Isn't that what we would do? I'm desperate.'

'Then why don't you look at me?' Yunho sighed and closed his eyes.

'I can't. I felt guilty.'

'For what?'

'Because I'm unable to forget him. I'm unable to love you the way I do for him.'

*

"Jaejoong." Junsu stood up immediately and quickly smashed Jaejoong's unpleasant memories. Jaejoong blinked and he hurried to the door but Junsu was able to catch him. "Hey."

"Hi, Junsu...I’m just coming to check on you." Jaejoong's voice was silent, like he was choked.

"Jaejoong-ah..."

"I see that you're doing good." Changmin chased after Jaejoong as fast as lightning, even quicker than Junsu's footsteps. He grasped Jaejoong's wrist, made the shorter man gasped.

"It's my fault." Jaejoong slapped Changmin as hard as he could before he burst out crying. He didn't say anything, only his actions screamed the loudest. "Jaejoong..." Changmin didn't care about the pain on his cheek, he now only cared about Jaejoong. Now that Jaejoong was in front of him he started to think of the consequences of his actions.

He shouldn't kiss Junsu. He shouldn't do anything to him when Junsu obviously didn't want anything more than being his best friend. Now Jaejoong was mad. Now the person that he's courting was angry and sad because he just did the worst thing he could manage.

They looked at each other, Changmin patiently waiting for Jaejoong to say something but Jaejoong just sobbed.

"Jae..."

"I hate you!" Jaejoong shot a fireball passed Changmin and hit the couch. The couch was burnt down instantly. Changmin jumped but he wouldn't want to insult Jaejoong more by obviously freaking out before him by him. Jaejoong touched him and lit Changmin's shirt on fire. Changmin quickly took off his shirt and threw it down on the floor. Jaejoong glared at him, but Changmin wouldn't be disheartened by it.

"Hurt me as much as you want but don't leave me."

"Don't you think by kissing my best friend you could get away with it?!"

"I know. I know and I'm sorry...."

"What's your sorry meant now?" Jaejoong threw another fireball and hit Junsu's curtain. Junsu panicked and ran to grab his fire extinguisher. Changmin stepped nearer to Jaejoong and tried to hug him to calm him down but failed. Jaejoong screamed and fired another fireball at him but Changmin ducked and survived.

"Jaejoong, please calm down!" Junsu pleaded and he hugged Jaejoong from behind to stop him from causing more damage. Jaejoong struggled to break free. Changmin took this opportunity to embrace Jaejoong but Jaejoong held his face and immediately Changmin felt his face was burnt. He screamed and let go of Jaejoong at once. Jaejoong lit fire with both hands but didn't shoot it at them.

"You're such a liar." Jaejoong spat angrily. "Why did you lie to me and make me like this?"

"Jaejoong, please stop..." Junsu pleaded one more time.

"You should stop, Junsu! You're the one who leads them on! You're the one who's responsible for all this!"

"Jaejoong, it's me who's at fault..." Changmin tried to correct the wrongs that he had done.

"How long have you been doing this behind my back?" Jaejoong shrieked, his face was as red as cherry and the fireballs in his hands were getting bigger by his fury. Changmin shook his head.

"He's my best friend." Changmin's eyes lingered at Junsu for a moment.

"Don't lie to me." Jaejoong said through gritted teeth, he was ready to throw the fireballs at both of them. "Don't try to defend him, Junsu. You're my best friend and you shouldn't do this to me."

"Jaejoong..."

"YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS TO ME!" Jaejoong threw one fireball at Junsu and Changmin grabbed Junsu's hand, pulling him so that he could evade the attack. The fireball hit the mat just aside from Junsu and that was when Jaejoong decided to leave the house.

***

"It was crazy." Yoochun nodded his head while he listened lazily to what Kahi told him. Kahi was telling him something about the event that she attended last week. It was a small talk that Kahi tried to make with him just to avert the real conversation that they should have; the status of their relationship. Yoochun had told her that the relationship was going backwards and not in the way that their parents wanted. Kahi understood this and Yoochun hoped they would discuss it sooner but things had become so hectic in the company that every possible conversation about it with Kahi was delayed. Yoochun was too busy and Kahi didn't even want to talk about it. "Yoochun?"

"Hm?" Yoochun looked up from his book, seeing Kahi through his spectacles. "The story ended like that?" Kahi refrained herself from rolling her eyes.

"Are you trying to make me uncomfortable with you?"

"Kahi, you know I'm busy..."

"And I'm not?"

"What are you implying now, Kahi? I'm sorry I trailed off but..." Yoochun sighed. Kahi stared at him. Her usually gentle eyes were fierce.

"I'm not good enough for you, huh, when it comes to this?" Yoochun stared back at Kahi.

"Do we have to talk about this?"

"It's already time."

"It's not. Can we..."

"We've been delaying this talk because of you."

"Is it important? I can't deal with it right now."

"That's what you thought. It's not. You're avoiding it."

"And you didn't?" they fought a staring battle.

"You expect me to do what? I waited. I wanted to talk about it..."

"But you're telling me things that didn't even relate with things we should talk about."

"Because I still want to talk to you, unlike you who thought by keeping silent will solve every problem!"

"I'm keeping silent because I know things will get heat up like this if we can ever open up about that." Kahi shot him a very angry glare.

"So? If I didn't force you to finally talk, you would let this solve by itself?" Yoochun sighed again. "You thought things would get fix..." Kahi put a hand on . "...and you...do you even want to save this relationship? What would you do with our family?"

"It's not my priority right now, Kahi. I'm on a verge of breaking down myself. I need to save my company. I need to save my employees and this talk is not going anywhere."

"Then when would the time be?" Yoochun groaned. Kahi grabbed his shirt and shook him. "When will you ask me? Did my opinion not matter to you?"

"Please stop pressuring me. I can't..."

"You can't what? Think with me here?"

"Kahi..."

"What are you most afraid of? Losing me or losing your company?" Yoochun opened his mouth to answer but he then decided it would not be wise to say anything right now. "Or losing someone else but me?" Yoochun stared at Kahi like it was his first time. Kahi's eyes were wet, red. Yoochun bit his tongue. Losing someone else? "Don't pretend you're not."

"Stop, Kahi..."

"Things are not going to work between us when he's here. You and I know it's true."

"What...?" Kahi didn't wait any longer. She was clearly disappointed with Yoochun's reaction. She expected more from Yoochun but just like she said, things would not work out for both of them right now. Yoochun stopped in his tracks when Kahi was at the door and turning back at him.

What good would it do if Yoochun chase after her? What damage that could be repaired if Yoochun do what other men would do?

Yoochun and Kahi looked at each other; Kahi waiting for Yoochun to say something but Yoochun just stood still.

Say something. Yoochun's heart was racing inside his chest.

But it didn't feel right. It didn't feel like it will fix anything.

I'm sorry.

Yoochun desperately wanted to say that but his tongue froze. The words hanging in the air, choking him with invisible hands.

Kahi tilted her head to the side as if saying everything is over. Yoochun lowered his gaze and silently Kahi walked away out of the door.

***

Yunho was angry. He was as angry as a bull in front of a matador because he thought things couldn't become worse. But it did.

When he came to the restaurant to resume his work, he found Jaejoong all huddled up behind the kitchen's table. When he tapped Jaejoong lightly on the shoulder from behind, the cook refused to turn around. He called Jaejoong again, until he saw Jaejoong's shoulder shook. He crouched down behind Jaejoong and embraced him from behind.

'What happened?' Jaejoong cried in his arms like never before. Yunho was angry when Jaejoong was hurt like this.

'Changmin.' Yunho was mad at that name. Why would Jaejoong mutter that name if they're getting along?

'Did he hit you? Did he do something to hurt you?' Jaejoong didn't answer. Yunho shook him and kissed his forehead.

Yunho was mad because with Jaejoong's tears, it showed that Jaejoong was really hurt. Jaejoong had been hurt before because of him and he swore that he would never do it again.

Changmin, how dare you?

Yunho gritted his teeth. He wanted to rip Changmin's ear apart with his bare teeth, and never apologize afterwards. He wanted to kick his , beat him like a ragdoll but he would never able to do that because Jaejoong would vehemently defend him even though he was in the wrong. Jaejoong would never let anyone hurt Changmin because that's how much he cared for him. That's how much he loved Changmin. That was just like how Jaejoong was dedicated to him, even when he knew Yunho was someone else's.

Yunho ended up closing the restaurant earlier than it should because then he spent his time comforting Jaejoong. Jaejoong hated to being seen as weak but that particular day he was so helpless. Jaejoong continued crying after a while and then he just became solemn, serious and sad. He bowed down to Yunho after his tears subsided and Yunho could see his swollen eyes and his red lips. He was biting his lips and they were bleeding because of it. Yunho ended up sending him home and Jaejoong had never contacted Yunho since.

Yunho inhaled and exhaled a few times. Being angry at Changmin wouldn't solve anything if he just stayed in the same place contained in the same fury. Yunho screamed, punching his fists to the air but nothing satisfies him. He was still angry that there were black dots appearing in his eye view. Yunho closed his eyes, but he couldn't shake the anger away. Changmin, Changmin. That name rang inside his head and again Jaejoong's hurt face appeared.

It was the same as when he had hurt Jaejoong. It was the same face, it was the same cry.

*

'Are you going to protect me?' Jaejoong's soft voice hit Yunho's eardrums. Yunho had just came down from the rooftop, having made a history up there. He had just kissed Junsu.

Yunho turned around and saw Jaejoong's eyes first. They were red, swollen.

He might have just recovered from crying. But why? Did he see them kissed?

'Bwoh?' Yunho waited to walk alongside Jaejoong.

'You promised to take care of me even when you are in love with someone else?' Jaejoong said.

'I would never retract my words.'

'Then protect me.' Jaejoong took Yunho's hand and put it on his heart. 'Protect me from the next heartbreak,'

Yunho was taken aback, but he said nothing. He wanted to pull his hand but Jaejoong held on tighter.

'Promise me.' he stared into Yunho's eyes. 'Please.'

'I...'

'...I have no one else but you. I don't want anyone else to protect me.'

*

What now?

Yunho asked himself again and again that question. What should I do now? What should I do in order to protect Jaejoong? He's already heart broken. He was too late.

Yunho wanted to call Junsu to tell him about Changmin and Jaejoong but he knew Junsu would not let Yunho touch a strand of Changmin's hair. He would never blame Changmin. He pampered Changmin more than he should.

So he took the initiative to call Junsu, just to calm his raging heart. He knew maybe Junsu was still mad at him, but he couldn't be mad up until now. It wasn't like Junsu at all to be stuffed up with fury.

"Junsu?" Junsu actually picked up the phone after the first ring. It did make Yunho a bit surprised. "Hey..."

"Yunho...how is Jaejoong?"

"Where are you right now? It's noisy..."

"I'm outside of the house..." Junsu sounded worried, more to worrying about Jaejoong.

"Why?"

"Uh...yeah, about that...something happened. But Jaejoong must come to see you. Is he doing okay?"

"He's..." he wouldn't want to tell Junsu about Jaejoong all cowered under the table bawling his eyes out.

"He's crying right? He told you anything? Please tell him that I'm sorry." Junsu paused, maybe searching for words to say next. "I regretted it, I would do the same if I'm in the same situation. Tell him that, please."

"Why don't you tell him yourself? What actually happened?"

"I was the one hurting him, Yunho. I'm sorry."

"Where are you? Why is it so noisy? I thought you're in your house..."

"My house was burnt down, Yunho. I don't have a home right now."

The hand phone almost slipped off Yunho's hand. The deepest voice inside his heart was whispering to his ear, Jaejoong was the one who burnt Junsu's house down.

A/N confused? ask away, i'll be waiting. I miss your feedbacks. Thank you very much=)

*not my gif*