Maybe It's Desperation

220

Ren was sitting very still in his own chair. His eyes were fixed intently on the floor, and he couldn't move it even if he wanted to. His body was shaking like he was smouldered in ice. He fiddled with his fingers, his mouth kept shut.

Koji was standing in front of him, his big bright eyes staring at Ren. There were two more boys by his side, both were his minions. Koji was a kingka at their school, and the meanest one at it. He was a good-looking guy, very rich and influential in the school. He was basically the unofficial leader of the school that even the president of the student body didn't get a say about him and his gang.

Now they were after Ren because apparently his girlfriend had taken a liking at Ren. His girlfriend happened to be Kim Jiwon, the girl that he accidentally knocked some time ago. He didn't know what Koji wanted to do to him, so he always took precautions.

But today he made a mistake. He had forgotten that both Minhyun and Baekho had their after school activities. They wanted Ren to go home together with JR but it seemed like JR left first without him. JR didn't call him beforehand and he decided to walk alone home. He thought he was safe for the day because everyone seemed to have left school. But as soon as he stepped down the stairs two boys stopped him. He was startled, and he almost screamed. The two boys jumped at him and hit him and now they dragged him here.

Ren was scared to even lift his head.

"Why are you messing with my girl?" Koji accused, his voice was furious like he couldn't wait to punch him in the face. Ren shook his head.

"I never mess with your girlfriend." he never did, instead he felt Kim Jiwon always harassed him and there were hearsays that she liked him.

"Liar." Koji muttered under his breath. His Japanese accent in his Korean was still thick.

"I'm not." Ren replied, angrily. If it wasn't for Junsu's sake he would like to kill these guys and just run away. The police wouldn't find out about it, they could never find any murderer's weapon. They could never find any killing tricks, because that's how his power supposed to be.

"I can't believe someone as girlish as you wanted to pick up my girl,"

"I said I'm not!" Ren muttered, his voice was louder this time. Koji laughed mockingly, and he ordered his gang to hit Ren. One of them came forward and lifted his arm to hit Ren, but Ren jumped and pushed him that both of them fell to the ground. Ren struggled to stand up but the boy pulled his pants and Ren fell again. The two boys assaulted Ren, hitting him as much as they could, pissed off because Ren attacked them first. Ren screamed when their punches hit his face. When the boy kicked him in the stomach, the air left him. He couldn't mutter a word.

"This is what you get..." Ren curled onto his side trying to get the pain away. His face was paling, but the boys kept kicking him. It hurts him so much.

Baekho-yah...

The image of the brown haired boy popped into his mind. He had been so dependent on Baekho, now that he's alone he couldn't do anything. He couldn't protect himself because of his pledge that he made with Junsu. Last time, Junsu asked him why he didn't want to go to school, he told him that he was too scared. He didn't want to be out of control like when he was before Junsu took him in. If he looked at them in the eyes now, he was sure he would do some damage. And he would be called a freak again, and he really didn't want that. He wanted a new life, a new Ren who can fit in but apparently it was hard to do.

Ren groaned in pain, both his hands covered his face to prevent them from hitting it again.

"Why do you cover your face? Are you afraid I will make it ugly?" Koji's voice sounded like a thunder and it scared Ren even more.

"Please...let me go..."

"What did you say?" they hit Ren in the stomach again, making Ren whimpered. His sight had become blurry of his tears. "I told you to stay away from my girl, didn't I?"

The door to the gymnasium suddenly flung open, and Baekho and JR stormed right in. Baekho without hesitating grabbed Koji's collar and pushed him to the wall.

"Stay away from him!" Baekho punched him as hard as he could. He was so angry he couldn't think well. Koji rose up, wanting to return the attack but Baekho was way stronger and faster. He beat Koji and then two of the guys up all alone.

JR ran to Ren and when he saw Ren huddled in a corner all bruised up, he embraced Ren.

"Ren? Are you okay?" Ren shook his head, and started to wail. He peeked through his fingers. "It's me, Jonghyun. We're here now." Ren couldn't utter a thing. It was like his tongue was cut off from talking because of his own fear. Ren's body was shaken even more prominent than before. He was too afraid to even lift his head. "It's okay...we're here now." Ren kept shaking his head.

"No..." JR was stoked. He didn't know what to do when Ren was in his hands because the one who was always made Ren comfortable was Baekho. "Don't hurt me..."

"I'm not going to hurt you..."

"Ren!" Baekho ran towards Ren and without holding back even for a second he pulled Ren into a big bear hug. JR moved aside to give way to Baekho as the boy Ren who actually hugged him back. "Oh my God, are you okay?"

JR watched from aside, seeing Ren broke down in tears. Baekho pulled away, and he touched the cut just one inch away from his left eye.

"What did they do to you?" Ren couldn't answer, instead he continued to weep. "It's okay. You're going to be alright,"

"I'm scared, Baekho-yah..." Ren whimpered, his fingers dug in Baekho's shirt so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

"I know, I know."

JR bit his lower lip. God knows how helpless he was at that time.

***

"What's their name?" Junsu was furious when he came to the emergency department of the hospital where Ren was treated. As soon as they left the school and the boys who bullied Ren, JR called Junsu to inform him. He told him Ren was injured and fifteen minutes later Junsu arrived.

"Koji Seto. Han Woojin and Kim Seulri." JR said solemnly, his eyes were fixed on both Baekho and Ren. Ren was treated by a nurse and Baekho never left Ren's side. JR was so angry at the three boys because they hit Ren, and at the same time he was angry at himself because he couldn't do anything.

This morning Baekho and Minhyun told him that they wouldn't be able to walk home with Ren today. They asked JR to come to the class to pick Ren up because apparently Ren was in a very vulnerable state if he was left alone.

He forgot. He went home with one of his friends and when he arrived home did he realised he left Ren alone. He called Baekho to tell him that he had forgotten about Ren. He didn't think Baekho would be that furious. Baekho had never gone angry but when he heard Ren was alone, he screamed at JR. JR was startled, never once he saw Baekho became as vicious as this. He was the gentlest person he ever met after Minhyun. JR went back to school and panicked when Ren wasn't in the classroom waiting.

And when they found Ren with the three bullies at the gym, JR saw how Baekho was when he was angry. No one could stop him. No one could calm him down. It was like a switch that had turned his sanity off. He was a wrath machine.

Just because his friend was hurt.

Or was it because it's Ren?

"I'll talk to the principal," Junsu said. His face was dark, JR couldn't tell if he was really disturbed by this incident or he was really in a very bad mood when he called. It was like he was walking with black clouds above his head.

"But Baekho hit them back, hyung,"

"I'll make sure only the three boys going to be punished."

"Hyung, their leader Koji Seto is the son of Japanese delegate here. His dad is powerful," Junsu scoffed.

"Was his dad powerful against Park Group?" Junsu massaged his forehead. "I'll figure out something. Make sure things like this to not happen again, JR." JR nodded. "If it happens, I couldn't find any excuse anymore." JR noticed Junsu fiddled with his hand phone.

"Where's Yoochun-hyung?"

"I can't contact him." Junsu sighed loudly, like he was angry.

"Why?" JR's eyes instinctively looked at Baekho and Ren. The nurse had finished treating the wound on Ren, and now both of them were talking to each other.

"That idiot left his phone somewhere." Junsu spoke grudgingly. He pushed his cell phone into his pocket and stretched. JR couldn't help but smiled a bit when Junsu complained about how forgetful Yoochun was that he left his phone accidentally. Sometimes he thought they were too comfortable with each other, and made them suitable working together. JR couldn't imagine what it would be like if the five of them were under more formal management.

Junsu walked to Ren and Baekho, he crouched down and touched Ren's face.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice was gentle. Ren nodded. "I'll make sure they would pay a better price for this," Ren looked up at Junsu, his face terrified.

"You can't do that." Ren shrieked. Junsu shook his head, his serious expression never changed. "If you do that...who knows what will happen to me?"

"I couldn't just let them get away like that,"

"Then, what about me?" Baekho barged in. "If you do that, I would be convicted too. I hit them as severely,"

"No." Junsu was still firm with his decision.

"Then, what about Yoochun-hyung? What did he say?"

"I don't give a damn about what he says," Junsu grumbled. Baekho exchanged glances with JR who approached them afterwards.

"Yoochun-hyung didn't know what happened?" Junsu rolled his eyes.

"Guys, I know what I'm doing."

"You're mad at Yoochun-hyung." JR interjected. "Otherwise you always ask him what to do,"

"Yeah...it seems weird that only you are here considering you guys..." Baekho barged in.

"No!" Junsu sighed loudly. "Something happened, I couldn't call him because his phone was - Junsu groaned - with someone else,"

"Have you asked Kahi-noona?" Baekho asked.

"No. And you know what? I don't give a cent about him. I managed you guys, I should be the one who make the decisions. And don't involve Kahi-noona here." Junsu snapped. Baekho, JR and Ren were in astonishment, it was their first time seeing Junsu being restless and emotional like this. They knew something was wrong. Maybe both of them were in a fight but they couldn't say anything as it might upset their hyung more.

Junsu handled the documentation of Ren's treatment and paid everything that should be paid with lightning speed. He had done this since he started working as 220’s manager because the boys in 220 always had injuries due to the training they had. Even the hospital staff knew him as someone that would handle everything without question. Junsu brought the boys home with his car. When they arrived at their home, they could see Yoochun's car. Baekho turned to see Junsu's reaction. Well, his face was sour like he just swallowed a rotten orange.

"Don't you want to come in?" Baekho asked, even when he knew he wouldn't get a pleasant reaction.

"Hm." Junsu parked his car and let the boys went out. He didn't actually want to come out because he didn't want to face Yoochun.

"Junsu!" Yoochun noticed Junsu's car, and jogged towards the car even though Junsu was still in his seat. "Hey, I came to check on you because you didn't answer your phone," Junsu's face became darker than ever. He didn't even move from the seat. Yoochun frowned. "Junsu?" the boys were confused but they immediately went inside their house when Yoochun gave them signals to leave both of them alone.

"We'll see you tomorrow then, hyung," JR shouted to the director before they scrambled in, the three of them didn't want to infuriate Junsu more.

Once they were alone, Yoochun knocked on Junsu's window. Junsu didn't open it, he was still frowning.

"Hey, Junsu." Yoochun knocked more, feeling that something was bothering his secretary and unfortunately he could expect why. He could even feel the aura that was emitted from Junsu. He was upset. He was angry.

Yoochun bit his lips. He tried to open the door but it was locked. He knocked even louder.

"Open the door." Junsu sit still. Yoochun couldn't stand the protest but he didn't know what more could he do to make Junsu talk to him. He knew it must be because he accidentally talked to Heechul, which was someone that Junsu didn't know. He never explained, and he knew he never will but he would find something to talk about with him. Maybe he could lie, maybe he could just talk to him about something else, but everything would suffice.

He wished.

"Fine." he threw both hands in the air, totally frustrated. "Do what you wish."

He dashed to his own car that was parked near the gate of the boys' house. He gave a sharp glance at Junsu's car before he closed the door and waited. Junsu started the engine and drove. Yoochun didn't follow him, instead he just stared back into the darkness.

***

He couldn't say if the cold war had ignited again between him and Junsu. His secretary was acting as usual but there was certain darkness in his eyes when he looked at Yoochun. Yoochun had to ignore this because he didn't want Junsu to know about Heechul, even though only time would tell when Junsu will give up and bombard him the question of who he actually was.

That evening, he went to the boys' house just to check up on Ren. He heard about Ren when JR contacted him this morning and he was surprised. Junsu should be more professional when it came to the welfare of the boys. Even if he couldn't reach him, he should've told Yoochun about them last night and not just drove off without a word.

"What happened with Junsu-hyung?" Baekho asked when Yoochun came and he ordered pizza for them. Baekho apparently didn't attend to his club activity today because he wanted to walk Ren home. He just couldn't leave Ren alone, ever again. Yoochun thought it was sweet of him to take care of Ren like that.

"Nothing. His period's coming." they laughed. Even Ren cracked a bit of a smile, and when Yoochun's eyes caught him he scooted closer to Baekho. He didn't notice JR who was watching them closely.

"He sounded mad last night. I think he's mad at you, hyung." Yoochun cocked his brows, that wasn't the first time they learnt when Junsu was angry. There was a time when Yoochun screwed up at office and Junsu sulked for a week.

"Maybe."

"Why?"

"I don't know." but he could guess. "Why don't you mind your own business, Baekho? I like it if we don't discuss Junsu. Adults have different things that being dealt with," Baekho pouted but he said nothing further. "Did they bully you often, Ren?"

"Ah?" Ren was startled because rarely Yoochun addressed him personally. It had always been Junsu. "Um...if they happen to find me alone,"

"Does it happen often?"

"No." Baekho answered, and instinctively he pulled Ren's hand into his. Yoochun smiled, he could see the affection between them.

"I made a mistake yesterday because I forgot that Minhyun and Baekho had club activities," JR who was silent before spoke. "It's my fault,"

"Jonghyun-ah..." Baekho shook his head.

"Don't act like nothing's wrong, Baekho. If you're angry, just say it to my face."

"What are you talking about? Why should I be angry with you?"

"You know why you should. I left Ren behind,"

"Jonghyun...I'm not..."

"I can see it, Baekho! Don't act nice in front of me. You're angry, and you're upset but you can't say anything because it's me who made the mistake." Ren held onto Baekho's hand tighter. He was surprised to see JR's outburst. "Why don't you say it to my face? You're angry! You're counting on me but I simply forgot!" Baekho's face already reddened to the point his ears turned bright red. "You can't always pretend you're a good guy forever, Baekho!"

"So what if I am?" Baekho roared. "I wanted to be angry at you, but I can't! You're my leader."

"You can't get angry at your own leader?" JR scoffed. "Why? Because leaders can't make any mistake?"

"Jonghyun-ah...please stop this," Ren begged.

"Don't keep it to yourself, Baekho. You wanted to be mad at me but you can't, because then it will scare Ren away. You wanted to be known as the nice, caring friend..." JR kept provoking.

"Jonghyun, Baekho..." Yoochun felt the need to interfere. He knew if he let them be, there would be bad consequences. From his own point of view, he could hear the angst and jealousy in JR's voice. Maybe he was jealous that Ren gave more attention to Baekho while it should be him who's giving him the utmost attention because he's the leader. Maybe Ren and Baekho had been so close to each other that JR was in a desperate need to make Ren notice him too. But why? Why would JR become jealous and attack Baekho?

Unless he had the hots for Ren too, just like Baekho.

"Why don't you just admit it like a man?"

"So what if I won't?!"

"You're such a hypocrite! Because you're willing to have him all by yourself, you're acting all goody-two-shoes,"

"Jonghyun, that's enough." Yoochun interfered again but was ignored.

"You're just jealous that Ren gave full attention to me," this time Baekho provoked. Ren's face turned purple.

"Baekho-yah..." Ren stole a glance at JR. He couldn't believe they were fighting because of him now. He just couldn't see what's so special about him that made them argue like this.

"Now stop this you guys, or I'll ground both of you for a month!" Yoochun barked and sure enough both of them shut up. "This is immature. Both of you supposed to protect Ren, not fighting over him. Why couldn't Baekho be nice, Jonghyun? Why couldn't Jonghyun be jealous of your kindness, Baekho-yah? Don't be ridiculous. Things are getting out of hand like this and the last thing I wanted to know is both of you fighting. You guys are the leader, and this is very silly." Yoochun gazed at Ren who turned his eyes casted downward. "Ren is new. Guide him. Protect him. Together."

JR and Baekho glared at each other, both were still fuming.

"Junsu won't like it if you guys fight. Make sure you already made up when he's here again." Yoochun exhaled sharply. "I..."

"As if you know better." JR muttered under his breathe.

"Excuse me?"

"Why don't you just tell us why Junsu-hyung like that?" Baekho inquired, his face was still sour.

"What?"

"Junsu-hyung was not him yesterday."

"Mind your own business." Yoochun said grumpily. As if he needed to be reminded.

A/N another fight between Yoosu!

annyeong everyone! thank you for being here and reading this story, i really really appreciate it! I thought people will leave me because i had been updating late and the plot seemed like it's not moving at all...but things will get better! don't worry and please be loyal to me thank you again! ^^ *bows down*

*not my gif, thank you for letting me borrow it*