Whatever They Say

220

Ren sat down on the bed in the infirmary after two hours of training. His whole body was tired as he had never done formal practice before when he discovered his ability. He looked around the infirmary and was amused by what he saw.

"Ren," Ren tilted his head and saw a nurse coming at him. He tried to smile at her when she approached him. She patted his shoulder and felt his forehead with the back of her hand. "Are you feeling okay right now?"

"Yes." Ren exhaled. "I'm only exhausted." his eyes landed on the nurse's nametag. Lee Yeon Hee.

"Call me Yeonhee noona, it'll be good for our encounter next time." Ren smiled at her. She took a couple of pills from the fridge and filled in a glass of water before giving it to Ren. Ren took the pills and drank them down. "Don't over exert yourself. It's not good for your health."

"What pills did you give me?" Yeonhee took the glass from Ren's hand and put it on the table.

"For your energy. There are many people here just like you, Ren. They used too much energy when they utilised their ability. Sometimes they were too drained they slept for days." Yeonhee sat down on the chair that was close to Ren. "The pills are made especially to restore the energy,"

"Did it work?"

"Rest and you will see for yourself." Yeonhee patted Ren on his shoulder again and left.

"What she said was true." Ren then realised there was someone else in the room. He lifted his head and saw a tanned boy was looking at him. He was slender and handsome. "First time here?"

"I guess." Ren lowered his gaze. He had made it a habit now if he found strangers. He was scared he would hurt random people.

"Don't worry. I doubt they would do anything bad to you." he smiled wider. "My name's Kim Jongin. People liked to call me Kai."

"Hi." he shook Kai's hand and smiled back. His stare was so intense that Ren could feel his face warmed up. "My name's Choi Minki. People called me Ren."

"Ren, what a nice name." Kai raked his fingers through his hair. "Who recruited you?"

"Junsu-hyung." Kai cocked an eyebrow and nodded. "It's a funny story, really."

"Mine was President Park." Kai said.

"What's your ability?" Kai lifted his hand and waved it once at the direction of a vase. Suddenly the vase disappeared from their sight. Ren's eyes grew as big as two plates.

"The vase was still there. Only people couldn't see it." Kai waved his hand and the vase reappeared again.

"Such cool moves!" Ren couldn't hide his excitement. Kai smiled sheepishly. "I wish I could have that ability, though. Can you make a person invisible too?"

"Well...basically I can but Junsu-hyung asked me not to."

"Why?"

"Using this ability made me exhausted. The bigger and more complex the object that I made invisible, the more it would take my energy. Usually by the end of a practice, I would end up in here."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"It's okay. I learnt how to control it. It's a good practice to always know your limit," Kai hugged his knees. Ren watched him. He was so thin his bones stood out. "Why are you here? Does your ability drain you down?" Ren pouted.

"I guess so." He shrugged. "I thought the world had thrown the worst at me."

"Trust me, there's even worse case. Do you know that one of our seniors in 220 is still locked up in a very closed and observed asylum because his ability was so powerful?" Kai's eyes grew wide as he became excited.

"I didn't know that."

"Now you know," Kai replied smugly. "It's an unspeakable legend here. I never did know about him, or her."

"Sounds like he is a dangerous person."

"I heard that he was not dangerous, only being used."

"Really?" Ren was scared if that ever happened to him. Thank God Junsu found him before anything like that occurred. He wouldn't want to think about what would happen if he was used by anyone. "What ability does he has?"

"I don't know. But..."

The door suddenly opened from the outside and Baekho barged in. Ren sat up straight immediately.

"Oh my God, Ren. Thank goodness nothing happened to you!" Baekho pulled Ren into his embrace without hesitating at all. Ren hugged him back, closed his eyes and felt the world's weight left him. Baekho's hug was so cosy it calmed Ren down. "Are you alright now?"

"Yes." Ren smiled and Baekho loosened his hold on Ren. "The pills worked."

"Thank goodness. I was so worried you'll end up sleeping for days."

"I'm not that weak." Ren blushed when Baekho his cheek affectionately. "I didn't do any good today. I got scared a lot."

"No, you're not..." Baekho grinned at Ren, caressing his soft blonde hair. "Yes. I know, I'll get you an ice cream."

"Awww...you shouldn't have..." indeed, Ren was flattered that Baekho wanted to buy him an ice cream. If he knew this was the result of being sick and drained in training, he would endure it again.

"Are you guys forgetting that I'm still here?" Kai's voice made both of them turned to him. Ren was so embarrassed that he thought he wanted to bury his head in the ground like an ostrich. "I don't mind you being all lovey-dovey but if it's too much, I just can't bear it."

"Sorry if we bothered you, bro." Baekho bumped his fist with Kai and both boys howled with laughter. Baekho and Kai chatted after that while Ren observed from his side, his hand was enclosed in Baekho's.

***

Baekho waited outside the Dome for Ren. Ren had to go through a thorough medical check-up before he could go home. He asked Baekho to go home first but the older boy refused. He wouldn't want to leave Ren alone again after everything that had happened to him.

But for Baekho, it was a blessing in disguise. After the incident that Koji ambushed Ren, they had become closer than ever. They had always been close but this time Ren let him in after he kept the door to his heart shut tightly. Ren's heart was something that he wished to explore, to win and to keep for the rest of his life. He just wished Ren would feel the same way.

"Baekho..." Ren appeared at the entrance, his face still looking pale. Baekho dashed towards him, smiling. "I told you..."

"Yes, I know. But I can't leave you alone behind. All others had left earlier because of their school project." Ren smiled sheepishly but it was obvious he was flattered that Baekho waited for him.

"What about you? You don't have any school project?"

"I'd finished it earlier." Baekho ruffled Ren's hair. Ren ducked down to avoid his hair from becoming a bird's nest. They walked side by side. Ren, the more silent one than the other paid attention to Baekho's stories. Baekho's stories were animated, full of colours and action even when they sometimes sound really ridiculous.

They passed an ice cream parlour and Baekho offered to buy the younger one ice cream. Ren agreed because he just couldn't find any excuse to give. Baekho happily bought him a vanilla ice cream and chocolate one for himself. Ren took the ice cream and they resumed walking home.

"Can I taste yours?" Ren stopped.

"What..." suddenly Baekho leaned in and took a bite of Ren's ice cream. Ren's eyes widened. Their eyes locked for a while. Ren's heart was beating so fast and hard that he was worried he could get a heart attack. Baekho took another bite and smiled.

"Hmm?" Baekho chuckled.

"Oh." Ren shook his head. "Nothing." he was so embarrassed that his face turned crimson.

"Yours is tasty." Baekho lifted his ice cream. "Do you want to taste mine?"

"Uh..." the blonde boy was still shy of what happened and that he noticed their face was too close.

"Come on." Baekho gestured for Ren to have a bite from his ice cream. Ren leaned down, his lips felt the coldness of the ice cream; it was contrast to what he was feeling right now. He bit down and tasted the bittersweet flavour of the chocolate ice cream. The embarrassment and the coldness of the ice cream made him even more embarrassed to face Baekho. "Like it?" Ren nodded.

"It's good."

"Your ice cream." Baekho touched Ren's hand and it almost made Ren jumped. "It's melting," he took Ren's hand upward and he the side of the cone where the ice cream had melt down. Ren watched him unable to move. Baekho upward and suddenly their eyes met again.

Ren's eyes dropped onto Baekho's lips. They were red, luscious and inviting. Ren wanted to look away but Baekho touched his chin. Ren could hear his heartbeat in his heart; it was so loud. His head was spinning as he was drowned in his milky chocolate eyes.

Baekho move inward and sealed their lips together. Ren closed his eyes. His knees almost gave way but Baekho held onto his waist and dropped his chocolate ice cream. Baekho couldn't give a damn, not that he wanted to. He pulled Ren in for a more aggressive kiss. Ren kissed him back, his hand held on to his ice cream so tightly that the cone was crushed and the remained fell to the ground.

Baekho and Ren turned to look at the spoiled ice creams and then just laughed at them before they continued kissing like there's no tomorrow.

***

Changmin's POV

I just came back from visiting Kyuhyun that was resting at home after he was discharged from the hospital. It seemed like he would take another two weeks before he could start working. His burn wound had been infected and his health deteriorated after that. But he held on and now he was given days off. I didn't want him to come to work unprepared and sick. It's compulsory for my workers to be at their best and optimised condition.

The reporters didn't come anymore to my company because apparently Yoochun had made another press conference to tell them that he's not going to enclose any information about things that weren't related to his company's production. Yoochun too had announced that they were going to investigate the cause of the attack and had made a public apology for every company's representative that came to the said event.

For my own side, I had made an announcement that the issue about me that had protected Junsu during the said event was a mere coincidence. I was helping Junsu, like a normal and sane human being would do. Kyuhyun was involved in the accident because apparently when the fireballs attacked, I was nearer to Junsu and I thought he was Kyuhyun.

Such a lame excuse. I couldn't believe it that I myself had uttered the mere nonsense. I doubt it they would buy it but the hell do I care.

I had also recovered and didn't need the bandage anymore. I could move more freely now than before. It was a blessing because now I realise how important my left arm was.

I entered my office and sat down. They were a lot of things that I need to take care of because I had been procrastinating. I didn't have the mood when my left arm was bandaged. It restricted my movement so much that I was so fed up. I massaged my forehead while I scanned through everything that needed my attention.

"Ughh..." I would never get to go out for fun. I would be locked up in here forever.

I pulled the drawer beside me and brought out my pen. I looked at the picture of me and grandpa on the table. It was a picture taken when we were at the airport; Grandpa was going to send me to study. I took the picture and studied it. It's now that I noticed his eyes were glossy and his cheeks had a tinge of red.

Had he been crying when he sent me? I couldn't remember.

The Grandpa that I remembered was tough to my dad but he went mellow with me. We were so close. But sometimes he would scold me when I didn't follow his words. Then he would spoil me like nothing else matters to him than my happiness.

I knew there's nothing else matters to him other than my happiness.

I put the picture down and closed my eyes. If only he could see me now, he would be the proudest grandfather in the world.

Time for work.

***

I noticed it was already dark outside after I finished reading all the new projects that needed my attention. It was supposed to be done by Kyuhyun; reading all these and then do some comprehensive conclusions for me. But I had to do it myself this time.

My head hurts and my neck was sore. I stretched and took my jacket to go out to catch some breathe.

It was cold outside so I shoved my hands in the jacket pocket. I found a piece of paper in the right one. I pulled it out and straightened the crumpled paper.

It was Jaejoong's phone number.

My heart felt tickled when I saw the name written with the scrawny handwriting. Maybe he wrote it hastily. I let out a small laugh.

I shoved the paper back into my pocket and continued walking. I bought hot coffee from the vending machine and sat down at the workers' lounge. There was no one here. Everyone had gone home. It felt peaceful and nice.

I should have done this a lot. It calmed me onto a whole new level.

I brought out the piece of paper in my pocket and stared at the arranged digits for a very long time. It's been a while since we met and even so, his face was still vividly engraved in my mind. I could see his doe eyes, sparkling when they landed on me. That pair of eyes could make me blushed because they were so powerful. They contained a thousand and one secrets that were waiting for me to unravel them. I could find myself my lips, tracing the bitterness of the coffee that I just drank and also the divine taste of his past cooking.

What would I do if I meet him again? What would happen?

However he was a friend of Jung Yunho. Would he like it if I associate with his friend?

He couldn't stop me if I wanted to. He had never been able to before.

I brought out my phone and dialled Junsu's number. Suddenly I missed him so much. I just wanted to hear his voice. It didn't matter if he scold me or else, because I only wanted to know that he's alive and well.

I couldn't connect to his phone. It might be because he had turned it off or he was out of town where he couldn't get any reception. I gritted my teeth.

Where was he right now? Was he with his boss? Didn't he hear that I cancelled my plan to reveal our relationship? Why doesn’t he call me at all? Was it really difficult to do that?

I looked at the phone number again. Things might get better if I call this number, but it too might make my heart bleeds again but for someone else.

I had never felt so lonely before.

***

"We're home!" Baekho shouted from outside and both of them entered the house. The other three occupants were already home; Aron was cooking and Minhyun and JR were helping him to set up the table. Aron was always cooking for the boys to eat if he returned home early. He was so busy with school and extra-curricular activities that only when he had training with 220 he would get free time to do housework. Baekho scrambled inside, and Ren followed closely behind. They went straight to the kitchen where the other three were hanging out.

"What took you so long?" Minhyun asked. Ren pulled a chair and sat down.

"Nothing." Baekho answered before Ren could. He tilted his eyes and met Baekho's eyes. He lowered his gaze and quickly remembered their kiss on the way home.

"Yeah..." JR shot daggers at Baekho but the boy didn’t notice. Ren however saw it and decided to keep his mouth shut.

"You picked him up at the Dome?" Aron appeared with a big bowl of spaghetti in his hands. Minhyun stood up immediately to take the bowl and settled it down on the table. JR set the plates on each place.

"I picked him up at the Dome." Baekho said. Ren saw him winked at him so he smiled shyly. "I don't want anything like what happened before occur again."

JR put down his spoon on the table abruptly. He glared at Baekho but the boy ignored it.

"It's only a matter of time that you would harass Ren." JR blurted out.

"Excuse me?" Baekho stopped scooping spaghettis into his plate.

"I saw it. I saw what you guys did." Ren's mouth dropped open. JR threw a deadly stare at Ren and the maknae lowered his head. His face was so hot he thought it would explode.

"What did you see?" Baekho raised both his brows, like he was challenging JR.

"Do you want me to say it out loud?!"

"No, stop it. Jonghyun, Baekho, please," Ren almost shouted even though he didn't lift his head up at all.

"What did you see, Jonghyun?" Baekho didn't stop apparently.

"Will you stop fighting?" Aron slammed his palm onto the table. "I don't want anyone to fight when we're going to have our dinner. If you want to, then both of you can go to sleep with your tummy empty!"

Baekho and JR sat down immediately on their own chair, their head bowed down. Aron exchanged glances with Minhyun and Minhyun started to scoop the spaghettis and distributed it evenly between the five of them. Aron was still watching the two boys closely as they took the plates from Minhyun's hand.

"Thanks for the food." they said simultaneously before they started to eat their dinner. Ren peeked at Baekho, his face still felt hot. His appetite died when he was worried that both of them would fight again. The last time they fought didn't give a good impression to the others.

"Why are you not eating, Ren?" Aron's voice surprised him. Ren turned and saw Aron glared at him. "If you're not going to eat, I'm going to give only a small portion of food to you."

"I will hyung." sometimes Aron could be scary even though most times he was the playful one. Minhyun glanced at Ren and smiled bitterly.

Ren and Minhyun took the task to wash the dishes after they had finished eating. Aron had a talk with both Baekho and JR. Both of them didn't argue at all when Aron talked to them about not fighting because they had to look after each other.

"Please be careful, Ren," Minhyun suddenly said. Ren who was soaping the plates paused and looked at the pretty boy beside him. Minhyun was staring down at him, his cat-like eyes were gentle.

"What...what do you mean?"

"I don't know how to say this." Minhyun sighed. "I don't even want to say it but looking at what happened, I know there's a lot going on between you and Baekho. It's not that I'm against it, I'm not. You have to be clear about that. But the thing is...your closeness with Baekho is making Jonghyun jealous."

"What?" Ren was confused even though he had it coming.

"Jonghyun likes you too, Ren."

"So, what should I do? I can only choose one."

"Or you can choose no one at all." Ren heard his heart broke, and he hunched his head down.

He just kissed Baekho, and now he had to change his mind.

"Do you think I can do it?" Ren asked, his voice sounded scared. He was indeed frightened that he would lose both of them.

"I'm just giving a suggestion." Minhyun put a hand on Ren's shoulder. "I love you, I really do. That's why I think you should think this thorough. Jonghyun and Baekho are two aggressive hunks, they are competitive. I'm scared that they are just striving for you as a trophy."

"Baekho didn't see me as a trophy." Ren was offended. But what if Minhyun was right? He knew Baekho and Jonghyun longer than him. Surely he had seen more of them than him.

"Ren, we can't be too sure. I just..." Minhyun stopped doing what he was doing. "I don't want to see you hurt."

"I..." Ren was at loss of words. Even if there's a bit of truth, just a tiny bit, it would mean that his heart was just a trophy, a token of victory, for them. His knees felt like jelly now that he's confused.

"I don't want to say anything more. But it's better if you be careful. We only knew each other for a while, so it's better for you to think about it. Think about them."

Ren nodded. In some way he felt his heart was heavier than ever.

***

Jaejoong sat down, resting his weary body after a day of work. Today was a busy day because there was a tender for an event and he had to prepare everything alone. They were short of one waiter so he had to come down to the event himself to deliver the food.

Jaejoong poured himself liquor. He had always loved alcohol even when his friends always advised him to just slow down his consumption a bit. He barely eats, only occasional pop of the meals that he was cooking. His body had been so skinny and his weight had been decreasing lately. He knew it was not healthy of him to abandon his meals but apparently he did nothing to stop his anorexic habit. Sometimes he just forgot to eat, sometimes he just didn't feel like it.

Jaejoong finished his liquor in one go. He put the glass down and heard his phone's message tone. He took the phone and read what was on the screen before he put it down again. He leaned on the couch and sighed.

He lifted his hand and snapped his fingers. Sparks appeared, Jaejoong waved his hand and fire emitted from his open palm. Jaejoong watched the blue fire in his hand, felt the heat that would normally burned a person's skin, and closed his palm. The fire died instantly.

His phone rang. He grabbed it and looked at the screen. It was someone that he didn't know. He pressed the green button and put it on his right ear.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Kim Jaejoong?" the husky voice from the other side hit his eardrums.

"Yes?"

"Do you remember me? It's Shim Changmin." Jaejoong sat up abruptly.

. .

He panicked instantly. His heart started to accelerate its beats and he felt something had turned his stomach over.

"Uhh...hi." Jaejoong could hear his voice shaking even though he wanted to sound cool and calm. "Wh-why did you call me? I mean...I mean, it's late and you're...I'm sorry...it's now eleven and...and...uh..." Jaejoong wanted to punch the air because he was so nervous.

"I just want to ask you out." Jaejoong suddenly wanted to faint. Didn't he hear it right?

Damn.

"What did you say?" he didn't mean to say that word out loud.

"No. No, no, I mean...yes!" Changmin laughed. His laughter lit up Jaejoong's heart like no other.

"Then, it's decided."

A/N yeay an update!

p/s yup, the only person in EXO that I know is Kai, because he's cute and my friend is in love with him.

p/p/s give me some love!!! *bows down*