A Day Off

I Can Never Stop Loving You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He glanced at the clock hanging on the on the wall in the living room. The time was 2.35am. He then moved his sight to the guitar at his side and then to notebook in his hand. The page was full of doodles of any word crossed his mind for the past few hours. He was trying to write a proper lyric, but nothing came out right. He huffed and buried his face on his hands. Obviously he was lacking of the inspiration. He released a heavy sigh and decided to call a night. He closed the notebook, tossed it on the couch, and then moved to the bedroom to rest.

When he came in to the bedroom, he glanced at his beloved wife as she slightly turned to a better position. It must be hard to sleep comfortably when your belly was getting bigger day by day. He slipped in the duvet as he stared at his wife. He could see her beautiful face through the dim of light that shone from the table lamp. He touched her hair. His can’t take his eyes off her. Even though she was in a deep sleep, he still found her cute. He remembered the day when he wrote the lyric of ‘Love Light’ with Seohyun in his mind. He thought he was crazy for writing a song thinking of a girl he would never have. But he wrote the lyric anyway. And the girl he wrote the song for loved it. He still remembered vividly the night they sat together at the fishing pond and received their new couple ring during the recording of the TV show. A sheepish smile unknowingly appeared on his face as he recalled the moment.

He loved her so much. He would do anything for her. He would die for her. But he couldn’t help but doubting himself. Have I done enough to make you happy?, he thought as he hand softly caressed her hair. You’ve sacrificed a lot for us, for our happiness. But are you really happy? Are you happy with me? While he was engrossed with his thought, he didn't notice that she woke up.

“Oppa…” She glanced up at him. “Are you okay?” She asked in sleepy voice.

“I’m sorry if I wake you up. I’m trying to write something but the idea is kind of stuck. Go back to sleep.” He looked down at her and flashed a smile.

“Come sleep with me.”

“I need to finish this ly…”

She cut in. “Forcing yourself won’t help. Your brain needs rest too. Besides, it’s chilly. I could need a hug.” She coaxed him as she pulled his arm towards her.

He finally gave in to his wife’s request. “Alright.” He closed his notebook and put it on the bedside table. He pulled the blanket and moved closer to her.  She turned around, giving her back to him as he wrapped one arm around her waist.  

She then leaned her back on his chest as he tightened the embrace. She could feel his warm breath on her neck. “Get some sleep. I’m sure you’ll think of something to complete your lyric.” She gently rubbed his arm that encircled her torso.

It was a brief moment of silence, and he spoke. “Hyun, are you happy with me?” He blurted the question that crossed his mind just then.

She opened her eyes and crooked her eyebrows upon hearing the question. “What?!” She blinked quite a few times, tried to convince herself what she just heard. She turned her head to him, searched for his eyes.

“Are you happy with me?” He repeated the question, with the same tone. He looked into her eyes, anticipated the answer.

“What kind of question is that?” She scoffed at the ridiculous question. “Of course I’m happy. You know I am. Why do you ask such question all of a sudden?” She looked at him in confusion.

He touched her face, trailed the touch down to her jaw and chin, and leaned in for a soft peck of kiss. “I love you very much…more than anything. Somehow I feel like I haven’t done enough for you and our family.”

She turned to face him. “Oppa, what’s wrong?” She looked at him, scanning his face through the dim light.

He sat up and rubbed his face with his hand. “I’m so sorry for what I’ve done lately. I haven’t spent much of a time with you and Minhee lately and somehow it makes me feel like an unreliable husband and father.”

“Oppa…” She slowly sat up and sat close to him. She took his hand and held it in her palm. “That’s your job, I get it and I won’t stop you from doing what you’re doing. But sometimes you need to take it slow. And to clear up the air, I’m no longer upset with you. So don’t think too much.”

He released a mild sigh as he gently squeezed her cold hand on his. He tried to find the best word to describe his feeling at the time but he couldn’t find any. So he stayed quietly for a moment.

She caressed the back of his hand with her thumb, pulled back his attention to her. “Okay, I know there’s something else bothering you.” She said out of a guess, but deep down she knew something really been bothering him.

“I’m thinking about our daughter. A few days ago, you told me she tripped off while playing at the playground and scratched her elbow.” He shook his head in regret. “You take care of Minhee and do the chores, and you’re 5 months pregnant. I’m the father and I’m not supposed to let you do everything on your own.” He looked down and sighed again. He was frustrated with himself.

“She’s fine. It was just a small scratch on her elbow, nothing serious. Besides, she’s getting more active as she grows up. Tripping off is normal for kids her age. Or else, she won’t learn for her mistake.” She reasoned him.

“I feel useless, Hyun.”

“Oppa, look at me.” She gently put her hand on his face. “It seems like the stress have taken a toll on your rationality. You’ve worried too much about something you shouldn’t have to. I know you are frustrated, but let me tell you something… you are never useless. You are the BEST man I could’ve asked for to be the father for my children. However…” She paused.

He furrowed his eyebrows when paused in the middle of the conversation. For years of knowing his wife, whenever she pauses during a conversation, it was either he was in trouble or she has a request he won’t able to say no to. So he looked at her, anticipating whatever she may say.

“You need to slow down a bit.” She said in serious tone. When he opened his mouth to answer, she raised a hand in front of his face. “I know what you’re going to answer me…the deadline, the teaser, the promotion and all the stuff that you might think I don’t know. Well, I know all that stuff very well in case you forgot that you’re married to a singer of a very famous girl group in South Korea. But I care so much about you and I don’t want to see you getting sick. You’re hardworking guy, I really admire that, but I need my husband.”

He sighed and nodded his head. “I understand that.” He then looked up to face his wife. “I will rearrange my schedule and take some day off to rest. You’re right, the stress is taking a toll on me. I’ve been staring at the notebook for hours and nothing comes out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter