Where Are You?

~Daehyun Oneshots~

"Shh, appa's here," your husband said to a crying Daeho.

"Daehyun! I smell something! I'm cooking right now, though, can you change his diaper?"

"Yeah, I was going to. Make the food good, yeah?" Daehyun replied as he leaned down to give you a quick kiss.

As he left the kitchen, you sighed. He'd just come home from work, and went straight to a bawling Daeho. You'd been at home the whole day, and it was tiring taking care of the baby. Trying to cook while calming him down wasn't an easy task. You were relieved when Daehyun had announced he was home.

"Now, who's a good daddy?" you heard him crooning as he came down the stairs. "Umma's making dinner. Let's go play while we wait, hmm?"

Daehyun carried the one-year-old to the living room, where there was a pile of toys. As you put dinner on plates and mashed up a small bowl of food for Daeho, you called, "Dinner's ready!"

Daehyun appeared immediately, and you smiled. He still appeared like a ghost whenever food was mentioned. He set Daeho down on a chair and got to feeding him, blowing on the food and making odd sounds to amuse Daeho. As you watched the sight, you felt a strange sense of happiness and rightness. Daehyun was such a natural father, whereas you had always been rather awkward with children. Having to take care of a child changed that, but you still weren't as good as it as Daehyun.

As you ate, you suddenly remembered. "Oh! Daehyun, honey, remember that you have to take care of Daeho tomorrow. Remember how Hana is getting married? She asked me to help her pick out a wedding dress, so that's where I'm headed tomorrow. You'll be okay, I'm sure?"

"Of course! Go help Hana, and remember to tell her I said hi."

"Alright."

Over dinner, Daehyun discussed the happenings at work that day, and he kept you company as you cleaned the dishes and Daeho nodded off. Seeing the boy's head droop, you told Daehyun, "We should probably brush his teeth and get him to bed. He's been so energetic the whole day, he's probably so tired now."

"You probably are, too. I'll take care of Daeho. You finish up and get to bed yourself, honey." He left to the bathroom, and you smiled as you finished with the dishes. You still couldn't believe how lucky you were to be married to such a caring man.

Once you had washed up, you checked on Daeho in his room, sleeping soundly. After seeing that he was okay, you headed into your room, where Daehyun lay waiting. "Hey," you greeted him as you got into bed.

"Hey," he replied, pulling you close to him.

The two of you lay like that for a while, then Daehyun said, "Sleep."

You chuckled quietly. "You don't have to tell me; I was going to anyway. Good night, jagi."

"Good night, yeobo."

You closed your eyes and smiled; Daehyun had given up on trying to correct you. "Jagi" is for when two people are dating, he kept telling you. But it felt awkward to call him "yeobo," so you never did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daehyun woke up in an empty bed, and he checked the clock: 8:30 a.m.

Sitting up and wiping the sleep out of his eyes, he went to go check on Daeho. Daehyun smiled as he saw his little baby still sleeping soundly. After washing up and making the bed, Daehyun headed downstairs for breakfast. After pouring himself a cup of coffee, he saw the note his wife had written him, and smiled. She'd made him breakfast already, and it was in the microwave.

He checked: toast and eggs. She'd also reminded him to mash up some food for Daeho. "Not too much," she'd written. "His stomach isn't as big as yours." Daehyun snorted good-naturedly. As if he didn't know.

A sleepy exclamation told Daehyun that his baby was awake. He headed upstairs, then carried Daeho down to the kitchen for breakfast. "Let's eat, shall we, Daeho-ah?" He heated some rice and vegetables in the microwave and mashed it all with a spoon. "Ahh," he said, offering a spoonful of food to Daeho, who accepted the food happily.

Daehyun decided to take Daeho on a spontaneous trip to the beach, inspired by the pleasant weather and his good mood. Packing towels, sunscreen, toys, and other baby-friendly items, Daehyun drove happily to the beach. Once there, he laid out towels, put sunscreen on Daeho and himself, and let his baby enjoy the environment as much as he did.

Daehyun's phone rang; he checked the caller ID and picked up. "Hey, yeobo."

"Hey, I was just calling to check up on you two." Daehyun smiled at her words.

"Don't worry about us. I took Daeho to the beach, since it's such a nice day today."

"Oh, that's nice. I'm waiting for Hana to try on the dress--oh! She's coming out. Have fun at the beach, jagi. Love you."

"Love you too." Daehyun hung up, still smiling ridiculously. Just then, Daeho slipped on the sand and fell. "Oh!" Daehyun hurried over to Daeho, who had begun to bawl.

"Aigoo, Daeho, what happened?" Daehyun said, picking him up. "Does it hurt a lot?" Daehyun carefully inspected Daeho; thankfully, no cuts, scratches, or bruises. Daeho sniffed, done crying, and slung his arms around Daehyun's neck.

"Alright, let's just sit and enjoy the sun, hmm?" But Daeho had already begun to fall back asleep. Daehyun chuckled quietly and slipped on his sunglasses, enjoying the warm sun but wishing his wife could be here with him.

He must have fallen asleep, because when he woke up, the sun was glaring and Daeho was nowhere to be seen. "Daeho?" he called, panicking. "Daeho-ahh! Where are you? Come back to appa! Jung Daeho!"

Daehyun walked around the beach, hoping to find that Daeho had simply been curious about the sand or something of the like. But half an hour later, Daeho was still missing. Worried and fearful, Daehyun finally decided to call his wife when a lady, holding Daeho, appeared. "Oh! Is this your son?" she asked.

"Daeho-ah!" Daehyun cried, taking him from her arms. "Yes, he is. Thank you so much. Where did you find him?"

"Ahh, this little cutie wandered over to us a while ago. We didn't know what to do, but when I saw you calling for a child, I figured he must be your son."

Daehyun's ears burned in shame. So much for being a father; he'd almost lost his own son. "Thank you so much."

He headed back home, still unable to forgive himself. After making and eating lunch, Daeho would not stop crying. After looking closely, he realized that his child's face was slightly burned from the sun. "Aigoo," he scolded himself, putting lotion on gently. "You fall asleep and let your son get lost and sunburnt at the beach."

Daehyun played with Daeho when he was awake, and watched TV half-heartedly when Daeho slept. At about seven that evening, his wife came home. Daehyun never thought he could be so happy and relieved to see his wife. He got up and went over to greet her with a hug. "You're back," he said.

"I'm back," she confirmed, smiling. But seeing his face, she asked, "Where's Daeho? What's wrong?"

"He's sleeping," he assured her. "But you know how we went to the beach today--"

"Jagi, I'm really sorry, but I literally just walked in the house, and I really need a shower. Can we continue this after I'm done?"

Oh, Daehyun realized. "Of course. I'm sorry."

"Don't be," she said, flashing him a smile. "I'll be done quickly."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running a brush through your hair, you wondered what was bothering Daehyun so much. He looked like he wanted to beat himself up. Heading out of the bathroom, you checked on Daeho: sleeping, as Daehyun had said. Daehyun was waiting downstairs in the kitchen. "Did you and Daeho already eat dinner?" you asked, opening the fridge.

"Yeah, sorry. Should we have waited?" He came to stand behind you, slipping an arm around your waist.

"No, not at all," you replied, seeing that he'd made a portion for you, too. You put the plate in the microwave to heat up, and sat down, Daehyun sitting across from you. "So what's wrong?"

Daehyun sighed. "Well, you know how we went to the beach today?"

"Yeah," you answered, getting your food and sitting back down.

"I kind of fell asleep."

You had a bad feeling where this was going. "And?"

"When I woke up, Daeho was gone. I didn't know what to think. I couldn't find him anywhere." He buried his face in his hands. "Luckily a lady came over with Daeho, saying he'd wandered over there. But I don't know. He got a slight sunburn on his cheek, and I lost my son. Even if it was only for a short period of time..."

You'd finished eating and walked around to the other side to hug him. "I know. But you didn't want to. And the fact that you're this upset over it is enough to prove to me that you'll never let it happen again. It's only a slight sunburn, nothing too serious. And although of course I'm not happy," you paused to give him a fake glare, "I forgive you. Our son will be fine."

Daehyun hugged you back tightly, and you stood on your tiptoes to give him a peck on the lips. "I know you're tired, honey. Go to bed. I'll be right up."

"It's okay, I'll wait for you." He sat back down on his chair, watching as you cleaned your plate and eating utensils. He was going to follow you to the bathroom when you told him to go to bed, to which he only gave you a lopsided smile.

After brushing your teeth, you climbed into bed, where Daehyun was waiting. The two of you lay facing each other, and you smiled, eyes starting to close. "Good night, jagi."

Daehyun put a hand on your cheek, then moved it to brush your hair back. He smiled in return. "Good night, yeobo."

 

A/N: Umm...so I actually have no idea how to take care of babies and when they can start eating normal food, etc. so forgive me if I have some facts wrong >.<

Anyway, this was written for those who wanted daddy Dae. I hope it wasn't too much of a disappointment :3