Byul Life pt1

~Daehyun Oneshots~

A/N: Yay~ planning to make this another multiple-parter in first person~

 

I took a deep breath and looked up from the ground. I saw him walking towards me, a smirk on his face. As he advanced, I backed up until i felt the wall behind me, and yet he still kept coming. Eventually he came so close I could feel his breathing on me and I stared at his lips until--

I sat up from bed. Dammit, I thought to myself, this again? I'd had this dream about five times already, in the past week, and it always ended at that exact same spot. I figured it probably had something to do with the fact that I was about to start at my new school soon: I had high hopes for this place. Byul Academy--one of the most prestigous schools around, and I had managed to get a scholarship here.

Secretly, I hoped to meet some nice guy here. All my friends, though I loved them to death, had boyfriends, and frankly, I felt like a third wheel around them. I wanted something--specifically, someone--to help ease that loneliness, though I really didn't expect much. When it came to that department, I figured I was forever alone: not especially pretty, not especially smart, funny, or skilled at anything in particular, guys never noticed me.

That morning I put on my uniform, admiring it for a while in the mirror. I gave myself a smile and headed for school. "Umma, appa, I'm leaving for school!"

"Oh," my parents replied, "have a great day!"

At the front gates, I gaped openmouthed at the school. One thing I should probably mention: I got a scholarship, but I was probably one of the only ones that did. Most other students came from money. So I figured, since I'd watched enough dramas, that this place would be filled with cliques and folks with snotty personalities. But I thought it would be worth it if I managed to get a diploma that said I'd graduated from Byul. It was so well-known, I could probably get into anything college or university I wanted.

I took a deep breath and gave myself a mini-pep talk. "Okay, ______, you can do this. First day of school, make new friends! Get along with people, have fun today!"

Unfortunately, as I was giving myself this pep talk, I looked at the ground and walked right into someone. "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, are you okay?"

I looked up to see a guy glaring at me. Blond hair. Nice face. Probably a nice smile. Seemed like he had sturdy body. Definitely good-looking. He didn't wear the school uniform, I noticed. "Ya, are you blind? Watch where you're going. And this was brand-new, too. Do you know how much this cost?"

I groaned inwardly. Mr. Pretty Boy was one of the snotty folk. Hmm, just like all the dramas. What if we ended up together...? No, I mentally scolded myself. You watch too many dramas. It's corrupting you.

I bowed and stared at the ground so he wouldn't see my annoyance. "I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!"

He snorted. "You'd better be," he said with a smirk, and walked off. Leaving me staring after him, fuming. 

What the heck? Who did this guy think he was? Acting all high and mighty like that.

"You okay?" somebody asked. I whirled around to find a guy with brunette hair and also extremely good-looking. Also not wearing the uniform, but his clothes were formal-looking anyway. 

"Oh, yeah, I'm okay, thanks," I replied. "But, uh...would you happen to know where this room is?" I showed him my schedule and pointed at my first class: homeroom.

"Sure! Actually, that's my homeroom too! I'll walk you there," he said with a bright smile.

I grinned back at him. "So, uh, since we'll be seeing each other the whole year and all," you chirped, "what's your name?"

The boy laughed. "You're an amusing one. Jung Daehyun, at your service. How 'bout you?"

I noticed that Daehyun had a slight accent--where could he have come from? "Park _____, pleasure to meet you," I said, sticking my hand out.

He shook it firmly. "Pleasure's all mine." He had a really nice smile, I suddenly realized.

I admired the school as we walked. It was enormous; I was lucky to be walking with Daehyun, who seemed to know the place quite well. I sneaked a look over at him. He was seemingly carefree, even whistling. Unfortunately for me, however, he caught me staring and grinned mischievously. "Admiring the view, eh?"

I blushed slightly and whacked him playfully with my arm. "Shut up, I'm looking out the window."

"Uh-huh," he drawled. "Suuuuuure."

I elbowed him, and he cracked up. "Anyway," he said suddenly, "we're here!"

I chose a seat near the back and Daehyun sat next to me, humming all the while. A few guys called out to him and he went over to where they were to talk. Meanwhile, I mentally prepared myself for the day. Finally the teacher walked in and called out for the class to settle down. Daehyun plopped himself down next to me as roll was called. "What's your first class?" he hissed.

"Uh...math."

"Score! Me too! Who do you have?"

I checked my schedule. "...Chang."

"Me too! We can go together then!" This guy was definitely way too cheerful for morning. I sighed inwardly.

We headed to math together, Daehyun chattering away all the while. For all the good looks, the guy chattered on way too much and was actually starting to get on my nerves. But I would have preferred his rambling to what happened to me next: yet another run-in with Mr. Snobby Pretty Boy. I was stopping by my locker and Daehyun had gone to the restroom. Suddenly Mr. Pretty Boy appeared out of nowhere, with his mini possy behind him. "Look, it's the blind girl who got here on scholarship," he called, and as if on cue, his minions burst into laugher as if he'd just told the most hilarious joke.

I curled my lip at him in disgust. "What do you want? I didn't even do anything to you, and now you come here just to insult me?"

"Oh! She says she didn't do anything!" Another round of laughter. He leaned in close. "Let me tell you something: I'm Jung Daeson, senior at this place. Nobody messes with me and gets away with it, got it?"

I was extremely tempted to spit in his face, but thankfully Daehyun materialized from somewhere and yanked Daeson back. "Hey now, hyung, I wasn't aware you knew ____ here," he said, still with a smile on his face. But I saw the challenge in his eyes.

"You?" Daeson sneered. "What do you want? This brat ran into me this morning and didn't even apologize!"

"I didn't apologize?! What are you talking about? I apologized twice, even bowed to you!" I was indignant. "Actually, I really regret doing that. A person like you doesn't deserve an apology!"

I felt better saying that, but I caught the warning look Daehyun gave me with his eyes. Say anything more, and I would be crossing a fine line, most likely one that I wouldn't want to know the consequences of. "Now, now, why don't we all calm down and think logically? She only bumped into you, hyung. She didn't even hurt you or anything. She even apologized! Let's just forget all this ever happened, eh?"

Daeson huffed and fixed his clothing, even though I saw nothing wrong with it. "Fine. But I'm telling you, you had better watch yourself," he glared at me, and strutted down the hall with his possy right behind him.

Once he was gone, I released a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding. I almost fell, actually, but Daehyun caught me by my shoulders. "You don't know how thankful I am that you came when you did," I said, giving him a faint smile.

But for the first time, Daehyun wasn't smiling or chattering away. He simply watched as Daeson walked away, his face hard and seemingly angry. "Hey, Daehyun?" I half-said, half-asked. "You okay?"

He seemed to snap back into reality, and smiled again. "Oh, yeah, definitely. How 'bout you? That Daeson, he can certainly be a handful, eh?"

"Definitely," I replied and switched out my books to get to class before we were late.

As we were in the middle of class, a thought hit me. "Hey, Daehyun."

"Hmm?"

"How do you and Jung Daeson know each other?"

Daehyun froze, pen still in the middle of forming a word in his notebook. He attempted to give me a laugh that came out as weak and unconvincing. "W-w-what makes you say that?"

I raised my eyebrow at him. "Did you just stutter? Very suspicious, Jung Daehyun. And I was just wondering because he seemed to listen to what you were saying back there."

Daehyun stayed quiet and stared at you with his eyes squinted for a moment before opening his mouth to answer, when the teacher called to you two, "Ms. Park? Mr. Jung? Is something wrong?"

"Ah, no, sir," I replied hastily. "There was just something you said that I didn't quite catch to write down in my notes, so I was just asking Daehyun here."

Mr. Chang seemed to buy it, and he gave you a nod before returning to explaining the math concept he was talking about earlier. "Nice save," Daehyun commented, whispering.

I gave him a look. "You're still not off the hook, you know. Let's talk at lunch."

Daehyun winked at me in acknowledgement and turned his attention back to the teacher. I rolled my eyes at him, but I also returned to attentive note-taking.

When lunchtime finally came, I grabbed a tray of food and found Daehyun laying down with his eyes closed on the grass in a shady part of the field outside. He cracked an eye open as I sat down next to him and started eating. "So," I started off.

"So," he repeated.

"You know what. I expect my question to be answered."

Daehyun sighed and pulled himself to a sitting position. "You're a really stubborn one, huh? Fine. I'll tell you."

I looked up at him in anticipation.

Daehyun cleared his throat.

"Daeson and I...we're..." he paused.

"You're what?" I asked, getting impatient with all his mysteriousness.

"We're...brothers."

 

A/N: Whoop! An update! And one that didn't come weeks later!

Ahaha, and okay, I wasn't able to find out what Daehyun's real brother's name is, so I had to make it up. I'm sorry. But if any of you know for sure, could you tell me? I'll change it if any of you do.

OOOOOHHHHH~ shoutout to AshesAngel for upvoting this oneshot series (lol sorry if this is late...?)! I love you~

(psssst: so does Daehyun)