First and Last

~Daehyun Oneshots~

Daehyun grinned and hummed to himself as he admired what he had prepared--a full cheesecake (fully intact...for now) and a bouquet of flowers. He'd admired her from afar for years; then they had gotten to become friends, sort of. Acquaintances, if you will. Today was finally the day: he was ready to confess to her.

He headed to her class during lunch; she was always there with her friends. However, as he poked his head in today, he saw that she wasn't sitting at her usual spot. His heart sank a little. So she wasn't here today? That's when he noticed that the classroom, usually loud and filled with the sound of laughter as students joked around with one another, was deathly silent.

One of her friends spotted him. Somehow, even though she didn't seem to have a clue that he liked her, all her friends did. "Ah, Daehyun-ah, come here," she said, her voice cracking. "You should probably know."

Curious and feeling fear for some reason, he walked over, cake and flowers in hand. Her friends looked at them sadly. "They were for her, weren't they?"

He nodded silently. "She's not here today?"

Suddenly one of them burst into tears. As the others calmed her down, one of them said solemnly, "She got into a car accident today. Some drunk driver, apparently. She was in bad condition, currently she's in the hospital."

Daehyun dropped the flowers. Making up his mind, he picked them back up and gave a sad smile to the group of friends. "Thank you for telling me."

They nodded and watched as he walked away, a determined look on his face.

 

Once in her hospital room, he looked at her, helpless. She cracked open an eye. "Oh, Daehyun-ssi. How nice of you to come." She spotted the flowers and cake. "Are those for me?"

He nodded, choking back tears.

She gave a small smile. "Oh, thank you so much. But I'm afraid I can't accept them."

"Why?" he croaked.

"The doctors say I won't last much longer; maybe a day, at most. The injuries were very serious, and they tried their best, but there's nothing more they can do."

Tears fell down his face.

"Hey, Daehyun, can you come here?"

He nodded and kneeled next to her, so frail on the hospital bed.

"I've been wanting to tell you something today. But then I got into this accident," she said, with a sigh, then groaned in pain. "Can you...come closer?"

He came closer.

She shakily pulled herself up a bit as Daehyun looked at her questioningly. She gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "I planned to confess to you today. But looks like my plan will not be happening, so I'll just tell you now. I like you, Jung Daehyun."

She laid back down, weak and breathing hard. "Looks like my end is coming soon, Daehyun. There's something in my bag that I got for you. It may be crushed by now, but I got it for you because I know it's your favorite."

She closed her eyes as Daehyun searched through her bag to find a small box. She nodded.

He opened it. It was a slice of cheesecake, along with a note. "Read it later," she said, sounding weaker the more she talked. "But listen to me, Daehyun. You're a great guy, don't mourn me. Find someone else." He turned to face her, crying again. "You deserve...so much more...than...me." With that, the monitor beeped once and went still.

He looked down at the slice of cheesecake again, and sobbed. "I...can't do that," he whispered.

 

A/N: I felt like I write fluff all the time, so I wanted to try something new...what do you think?

(note: sorry, not an update, I just saw this picture and thought it was so perfect)