Unfeeling

~Daehyun Oneshots~

It was a rainy night. She stares out her window and listened to the rain pat-pattering against the glass.

A bolt of lightning, followed by a crack of thunder.

All of a sudden it wasn't just her yard anymore; something had fallen. Mildly surprised, she goes out to examine whatever it was that had fallen in her yard.

It was a boy, seemingly teenaged. What was an unconscious boy doing in her yard?

How had he gotten there in the first place?

She ponders these things as she half-drags, half-carries him inside. In the back of her mind, she wonders whether taking a stranger into her house was a good idea, but she disregards this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kim _______ has never been a normal child growing up. For one thing, she only has one parent. Who is now dead.

Second, ever since her father died, leaving her to go lead a life of moving from foster family to foster family, she has lost the ability to feel emotions. Not completely, no. She occasionally feels the faint happiness that causes a slight smile. Sometimes a twinge of anger or frustration at something. But not often--not often enough.

She understands that she is different. She also understands that she can't seem to express or feel emotions, yet...she has no opinions on this. She has never been able to fit in or make friends. She knows she should feel lonely, and yet she doesn't.

Because she can't feel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The strange boy wakes up in the morning and looks around. SETTINGS UNKNOWN, the voice in his head chirps. UNRECOGNIZABLE.

So the natural thing to do is explore these surroundings and make sure that he's safe. He's lying on something soft and accomodating. Definitely not grass. What was it? He pinches the thing between his fingers, leaving a small impression that fades.

"What are you doing?" a voice asks.

He whirls around to locate the voice. PERSON UNIDENTIFIED. "Who are you?" he asks.

"That's what I'd like to ask you. But to answer your question, I am Kim _____. And you are...?"

NAME STORED. KIM ________. "JDH-93628. Also known as Jung Daehyun."

The girl looks at him oddly. But her eyes remain empty. He wonders about this. "Alright. Would you care to explain how you ended up in my backyard out of nowhere last night?"

His brain processes this information. The last thing he remembers was being with his crew, in the spaceship about to land on Earth. So this must be Earth. Where were his fellow agents? "I don't know," he says, as void of emotion as the girl.

The girl arranges her face in what appeared to be a small frown. Hmm, maybe his Human Interaction courses were inaccurate. The facial expressions he had studied were not so slight. Her frown is hardly noticeable.

"Alright. I have to be heading to school, so you can make yourself at home as long as you don't destroy the place."

He stays quiet.

A small voice in her head reminds her that this is a terrible idea. But the voice is very small, and she ignores it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, she and Daehyun are used to each other's company. Oddly enough, she feels a slight tingle go through her body whenever she is around him. She feels what must be happiness--a watered-down, miniature version of it. But it's still there.

She has been explaining to Daehyun the ways of humans. He seems so amazed at everything, marveling, commenting, analyzing, that she cannot help but smile her little, stiff smile at him. This Jung Daehyun who appeared out of nowhere had managed to do what years of therapy had not: make her feel anything at all.

One day he asks her a question that absolutely stuns her. "So, what is this 'love' feeling that I have constantly heard of in my studies?" he inquires, while munching on a banana.

She remains quiet. "I don't know," she answers softly, "and I never will." She looks him in the eye and admits to him what she has admitted to no one else. "I cannot feel. So, I will never be happy, sad, mad, lonely, or in love."

He analyzes this. "So, why don't we find out together? You may not be able to feel, but for the short time I have been on Earth, I have experienced happiness, sadness, anger, and loneliness. So I can experience this 'love' and tell you how it feels."

She thinks this over. It doesn't sound bad at all. Finally she will be able to know how these feelings are, even if it's not by feeling them herself. "Alright. Let's do that."

And so she and Daehyun go to the amusement park, where Daehyun experienced fear and screamed on every ride while she sat in stony silence. They go shopping where Daehyun marvels over everything and she follows in silence. And they go eat at restaurants, where Daehyun is happy with all of the food. He describes all these emotions to her in vivid details, and for the first time, she is content.

Until one day, when her universe explodes.

She and Daehyun were sitting side-by-side on her couch, when Daehyun turned to face her. Suddenly his lips were on hers, warm and soft, and her eyes grow wide. "I think I have experienced this love," he informs her. "And I am in love with you. I learned that this is what people do when they're in love. Do you want me to describe this feeling to you?"

She pauses for a moment. "...No," is her reply.

Daehyun looks at her with questioning eyes.

"I...think I have experienced love too, little by little." Her eyes fill with tears. "Thank you, Daehyun."

He stares at her.

"I...love you, Daehyun. You make me happy."

 

A/N: Yayyyy~ it's actually an update! LOL I think this was fairly decent, guise, what do you think? ^^