Birthday Present

~Daehyun Oneshots~

You brushed your hair and checked your outfit one last time in the mirror before heading out of your house. It wasn't like anyone would notice, but it was your birthday, and you wanted to feel a little special, even if nobody realized it.

It was beautiful outside; sunny and warm, your favorite weather. You smiled to yourself. It seemed like it'd be a good day today. "Hey," a voice drawled in your ear, making you jump.

You turned around and were face-to-face with your best friend, Jung Daehyun. He had on a cheesy smile and pulled away, putting his hands in his pockets and keeping pace with you instead. "Happy birthday, shorty."

"Thanks, you giant," you replied, happy that he remembered, and the two of you walked to school in a peaceful quiet.

"By the way, I got you something," he declared suddenly.

You raised an eyebrow curiously.

Daehyun pulled out a mango-pineapple smoothie from somewhere in his backpack, complete with napkins. He stuck a straw in the cup and handed it to you. You eyed the thing skeptically, but he reassured you, "I just got it before I went to your house." He smiled sheepishly. "I completely forgot to give it to you until now, sorry."

"Nah, it's fine," you told him, then took a sip. "Mmmm~ it's so good! You're the best, Daehyun!"

Daehyun grinned at you and prompty snatched the cup out of your hand. He took a giant sip and closed his eyes blissfully. "Yup, it's the best smoothie I've had in a while."

You grabbed it back. "You're such a fattie, Daehyun," you teased. "Buying a smoothie for me, and then drinking half of it. Tsk tsk."

"Tch," he responded. "I bought it. Plus, we're like peas in a pod, I can steal your stuff whenever I want to."

You playfully smacked him, then noticed you'd arrived at school. You threw out the empty cup and headed to your homeroom.

In your first class, math, you were studiously taking notes when Daehyun, who was next to you, slid a piece of paper over to you. "I actually have another present. Curious?"

Sneaking a glance at the teacher to make sure he wasn't looking, you answered, "Sure. What is it?"

A moment later, he wrote, "Well, before I tell you, you're going to have to promise me something,"

"What?"

"You're going to have to endure everything I say to you until the end of the school day."

"That's a scary thought, knowing you."

"Psh. I'm not that mean of a person. Plus, it's just till school ends. Then I'll tell you."

"Fine."

At the end of class, Daehyun leaned into your ear and whispered, "Besides being y, what else do you do for a living?"

You simply gave him a look and smacked him, then headed to your next class. Unfortunately, you were sure that you were red as a beet. So this was what he meant.

At lunch, he plopped down next to you. "Do you have a map? Because I keep getting lost in your eyes," he drawled.

You simply sighed in response, because you'd promised him that you'd endure for whatever the present was.

In science class, Daehyun sat in his usual seat, which was next to you. "Hey."

"Hey," you answered, fearing for the worst.

"I'm a thief, and I'm here to steal your heart," he prompty replied in a matter-of-fact tone.

You couldn't help but burst into laughter at the ridiculousness of the whole thing. "You know, school ends in an hour. That means once class is over, you have to keep your end of the promise."

"I know," he answered, and faced the teacher, who began lecturing.

But a piece of paper slid towards you. "If I had a nickel every time I saw someone as beautiful as you, I'd have five cents."

You slid it back to Daehyun after reading it, and gave him a glare.

"Excuse me, I think you have something in your eye. Wait, no, it's just a sparkle."

"Oh my goodness Daehyun, stop it. I'm trying to concentrate," you finally exploded and wrote.

"On what, my side profile?" He looked at you sideways and smirked, which, you admitted to yourself, was quite a nice view.

Facing the front, you jabbed him in the hand with your pencil. He narrowed his eyes at you, and you gave him a bright smile in response.

The bell rang, and you turned to Daehyun. "So, school's over," you prompted.

"Yeah, but I still have to get stuff from my locker. I'm pretty sure you do, too."

"True.."

"Meet me by the tree in front of the school, where we usually eat lunch."

"Alright." You practically flew to your locker.

Five minutes later, you stood and leaned against the tree. Both your hands were filled with small gift bags that your friends had given you, and you smiled, grateful to have such amazing friends. Daehyun suddenly appeared out of nowhere. He smelled like cologne, and his hair was suspiciously wet and styled differently than before. You studied him for a moment, and raised your eyebrows. Was Jung Daehyun blushing?

"What's the meaning of this?" you asked him.

"Uhhh..."

"Omo, omo, Jung Daehyun is stuttering!" you teased, genuinely curious now.

"No, I'm not! I just...look, I'm sorry you had to go through all that just to find out what the present was," he started.

You crossed your arms, and let him continue.

"The truth is...I meant what I've been saying all day," he said all in one breath.

"What does that mean?"

He grunted, seemingly frustrated. "How dense can you be? I'm saying, I like you." Finally he raised his face and stared directly into your eyes.

For once, you were speechless. After a moment, you said, "You...what?"

"You heard me. I...like...you." He looked away from you. "Everything about you, for as long as I can remember. I love how you listen to and care about what everyone has to say to you. I love the way you treat everyone with kindness, how you smile when you're happy, the way you laugh. You're...a beautiful person."

Once again, you could think of nothing to say. Daehyun forged on, "I've been debating on how to tell you all this for the longest time now, and today of all days seemed right. It's your birthday...will you go out with me?"

Then, in a sudden burst of genius, you said, "Yeah."

Daehyun frowned slightly, probably out of disappointment. "Yeah?" he repeated.

"Yeah, I mean, I like you too. You're a nice person and you look nice and even though sometimes you're mean and you like to tease me, you're a good person and--" you babbled.

"Alright, I get it," Daehyun cut you off, smiling from ear to ear. "I forgot to tell you another thing I love about you."

"What?"

"You take after me. You've learned how to ramble on and on about things. One day you're going to be a great con artist. Like me, for example--fraud level 99 out of 100."

You smacked him for the hundredth time that day. "Alright, whatever you say," you told him, and the two of you headed home.

 

A/N: I think it's been a month since I last updated, omg

Sorry T-T

Anyway, I started school this week, and the homework is really.....ugh. I probably will update even less now. I'm really sorry in advance.

Regarding this update....my birthday's on Sep. 20, but I don't know if I'll be able to update by then, so this is like a birthday present to myself and to anyone whose birthday is between now and then lol

(Also, regarding a sequel to chapter 27: I'll probably write one sometime in the future, when I find time. I have plans for this oneshots series, but I simply haven't had time to write them all OTL)

Also, shoutout to all my subscribers, thank you for not unsubscribing even though I don't update a lot. I love you all, you're all beautiful people~ ♥