Like an Angel

~Daehyun Oneshots~

"How many times do I have to say this?" Do Kyungsoo leered at you. "We. Are. Over. Get it? Over." And with that, your boyfriend of a year--now ex-boyfriend--turned his back to you and left.

You watched him walk away, tears threatening to fall, trembling, and then ran blindly to the art wing of the school. You were only lucky that he'd decided to break this to you after school had ended; otherwise, you weren't sure how much of a fool you would have made of yourself.

You counted the doors of the practice rooms. One. Two. Three. At the fourth door, you barged in, sure that your best friend Daehyun would be there. If not...

You didn't need to think about that; he indeed was in the practice room, in the middle of playing the piano and singing. He looked up at you the moment you walked in, eyes wide. Surely you must look like a mess.

Daehyun stood up, without a word, about to walk to you. But you threw your arms around him and started bawling into his shirt. "Uh...hey," he said awkwardly, patting your back stiffly.

Eventually he gave up and just let you stand there, clinging onto him, ruining his perfectly good shirt. Once you'd calmed down a bit, he asked, "Is this about Kyungsoo?"

Of course he knew. The only reason why you weren't practicing with Daehyun was because you had been with Kyungsoo. And seeing how you were back here in practice room 4, either Kyungsoo had left, or you'd abandoned him.

"Yeah. We're over," you mumbled into Daehyun's shirt.

"Over? Did he say why?"

"Apparently I'm too clingy. But I don't think I am. I'm not like those obsessive girlfriends constantly invading his privacy. He also implied that there were plenty of other, prettier girls he could be around, but he was stuck with me. Tied down, and all that." Thinking about it only threatened to bring a fresh wave of tears. "He's a jerk. Stupid, stupid jerk."

Daehyun tensed. "He said that? You're not clingy. You've given him more freedom than he deserves, frankly. I'd heard rumors about him--never mind. That son of a--"

You cut him off, finally letting go. "It's fine. What's done is done. Plus, I heard those rumors too. I just didn't want to believe them. But now that our relationship is over," you shrugged, "I guess it's a good riddance." But your heart just ached as you said the words.

Daehyun sighed and patted your shoulder awkwardly. "Well, if it means anything, I think you're pretty. Kyungsoo must be blind as well as stupid to not appreciate what he had." He shook his head. "Well, all right, you need some water? You do realize the talent show is coming up, right? So you gonna be my partner or what?"

You were finally able to smile. "Of course! And no thanks, I'm fine."

Daehyun set about the task of distracting you with preparations for your act in the talent show. You would be playing the violin while Daehyun was in charge of piano and vocals. This time, the two of you would be performing a song he and his bandmate Yongguk had composed themselves. Secretly, you were extremely proud of Daehyun; he'd only ever covered songs before.

The title of the song was "1004" -- "Angel." The lyrics were quite heartwrenching, and it was beautiful melodically. When performance night finally came, you were lightheaded as he introduced the piece. "Hey, everyone. This piece that we're performing, called 'Angel,' was written collaboratively by my friend Yongguk and me. It's dedicated to the girl I love most in this world, even though she probably doesn't know it." You heard a chorus of "aww" roar from the girls. Daehyun grinned and added, "Oh, and as a side note, the lyrics are kind of depressing. Yongguk's just that kind of guy, you know?" Laughs came from the audience. "All right, hope you like it." Then he started the intro, and you joined in.

After the talent show ended, your friends crowded around to congratulate you, even those who you'd never talked to before. Everyone was praising Daehyun's vocals, and your violin ability, though really it was Daehyun who shined the brightest that night. Finally you couldn't stand the crowd of people anymore and dragged Daehyun outside to get some fresh air.

"Good job," you told him, looking up at the sky with your eyes closed. The wind blew slightly, sending shivers through you.

"Cold?" he asked, and took off his jacket to put on you.

"Thanks," you replied, and looked up at him. But Daehyun was looking up at the sky, the moonlight hitting his face and illuminating it. A line from the song struck you: You're like an angel...

"Hey," Daehyun said suddenly.

"Mmmm?"

"You know what I said earlier, about the song being for the girl I like, but she doesn't know?"

"Mmm, yeah, who is it? You want me to become closer to her so I can talk nice about you?" you joked.

"No." For some odd reason, he was extremely serious.

"Alright, alright. You do realize I was just kidding?"

"Yeah, I know. But you can't be her friend."

Odd. "Why not?"

"Because..." Daehyun turned to face you, looking straight into your eyes. "Because she's you."

Oh.

Oh.

You fidgeted awkwardly. "Daehyun, I'm not sure right now is the right time for this--" You hated the way it sounded, but it was true; you weren't even really over Kyungsoo yet.

His face sagged slightly, and guilt rushed over you. "No, that's not what I meant--" you started, but he cut you off.

"Yes, it is, and I understand. I'm willing to wait. I just wanted to let you know." He shuffled his feet. "I should probably head inside. Youngjae and the rest are probably wondering where we are." Daehyun started to leave.

"Wait!" You grabbed his arm, and he stopped, looking down at you. "You have to know that's not what I meant." You sighed. The truth was, you'd never really thought of Daehyun that way. But standing here, tonight, in the moonlight, you could begin to see how you might. He was handsome, sweet, and always took care of you. "I just need some time," you finished lamely.

His eyes softened. "Of course. I know. I'll always be here."

Then he headed inside.

Your eyes teared up, but you weren't quite sure why. "Thank you, Daehyun." For always being there for me. For not rushing me. For loving me.

"Cheonsa gateun neo," you sang quietly.

 

A/N: Wow, an update! Wooo!

Ahah, if you couldn't tell, this was obviously inspired by 1004. I love it! Can't wait for the comeback stages ahh~

Honestly, I'm sorry it's so rushed and badly written OTL

But I just wanted to get it down hehe, hope you liked it anyway ^^