Flashbacks

~Daehyun Oneshots~

A/N: Listen to "Rain Sound" as you read this! :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The rain poured outside. You looked down at your hands and slid the couple ring off of your ring finger, hand shaking slightly. "I'm really sorry, Daehyun," you whispered, "but I can't stand this anymore. This constant yelling that goes on between us now; we can never have a happy moment together anymore. So I think we should end this here."

You put the ring on the table of the coffee shop, and left without turning back. On your way out, you sneaked a glance through the window and saw that he had not moved; he sat motionless, staring at the ring. You paused, and saw him slowly reach out toward it. As he looked up, you saw his tears and you looked away. You couldn't go back now, not after everything that you'd been through.

You started walking and saw a couple huddled together under an umbrella, each holding an ice cream cone. You smiled sadly to yourself and ignored them, continuing on your way.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Here," Daehyun said with a smile as he handed you an ice cream cone. "I bought one for you, too," he said and took a bite of his own.

"Thanks! I'm amazed you can still eat, considering we both almost died back there," you responded as you took the ice cream.

"Psh, it happens. Just, you know, try to drive a bit slower next time?"

"You bet. Oh my gosh, my heart is still pounding."

Daehyun had been teaching you to drive, and you had accidentally pressed down on the accelerator too much, leading to you almost crashing straight into a tree. Luckily, he'd shouted for you to brake, and you did, in time. After recovering mostly, you'd gladly let Daehyun drive the both of you to the park, where you found a nice grassy spot to sit. Daehyun said that he would go find some food, so that he could properly recover.

Unsurprisingly, he finished his ice cream in about three minutes and laid back on the grass, arms beneath his head. "It's nice, you should come join me down here," Daehyun drawled.

"I can't, I'm eating. Wait till I finished," you cried indignantly. He promptly ignored you and pulled you down so that your head rested on his chest.

"You can still eat, see? It all works out."

You turned toward him, made a face, and faced the sky again, enjoying your ice cream. Daehyun laughed, then started humming a tune and absentmindedly played with your hair.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

You took off your wet coat and boots and the light, preparing to make something warm to drink on this chilly night. You mindlessly took out a packet of instant hot chocolate and waited for the water to boil. Thunder boomed in the distance, and you cringed. You'd always been afraid of thunder and lightning. The water was ready and you poured it into your cup. Holding the steaming drink in one hand, you reached for the CD out of instinct and popped it into the CD player before you realized what you'd done.

Yet you couldn't bring yourself to remove the CD, and you settled down on your couch, sighing. The tears finally came, and this time you let them out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Hey, your house is nice," Daehyun commented as you led him into the living room.

"Thanks. You want something to drink?"

"Yeah, something warm would be nice."

"Hot chocolate okay?"

"Sounds great." He plopped down on the couch, watching with a smile as you fumbled around in the kitchen.

You were pouring the boiling water into each of your cups when you felt a pair of arms wrap wround your waist. "I like watching you do this. It makes me feel kind of like we're married, you know? Living peacefully together."

You reddened at his words, but found it sweet. "Psh, as if. When we're married, you make your own hot chocolate, old man."

Daehyun laughed and accepted the cup you offered him.

The two of you talked and laughed as the rain poured outside.

Suddenly thunder boomed, and you jumped. Daehyun noticed, but didn't say anything. But when it happened about ten times, with you jumping and cringing at each boom, he finally spoke up. "Hey, are you afraid of thunder?"

"....Yeah."

Instead of scoffing at you, like you'd expected, he'd smiled and opened his arms. "Come here."

You hesitantly hugged him, feeling thankful for having such an understanding boyfriend. Normally people looked down on you for your ridiculous fear, and commented that you should be old enough to know better. But Daehyun just accepted it, and for that you were glad. Daehyun hugged you tightly, and you felt safe in his arms. "Thanks," you mumbled into his shirt.

"What?"

"Thanks," you repeated. "You know, for just accepting that."

"Well, of course. I'm an understanding person. And, you know, I think it's kind of cute."

The two of you talked and joked around for a while longer, and Daehyun left for home. But the next morning, he showed up at your door, grinning and holding something behind his back. "Here, I have a present for you."

"A present? For me? Why?" You thought for a moment. "It's not my birthday." And then you realized, "Oh no, it's not some important day like our 200th day or something, right? I thought we were at 188! It can't--"

Daehyun cut you off, entering your house and closing the door. "Girl, you worry too much. It's a present for you because I'm a thoughtful, caring boyfriend, and...here." He handed you a CD case, with a CD inside.

"What's this?"

"Well, you know how thunder and that stuff scares you? I decided, since I can't be there for you every time it storms, I would make you a CD. It's a collection of songs and instrumentals that I find soothing. Oh, and I recorded myself singing the songs, so it really will be just like I'm there." He leaned in and grinned mischievously. "Love me yet?"

You whacked him with the case. "Of course I do, you silly. Why would I date you if I didn't?" Then you hugged him. "Thanks, though. You're so thoughtful."

He ruffled your hair in acknowledgment and, unsurprisingly, headed toward the kitchen. "Is there anything to eat?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

You'd unknowingly fallen asleep to the sound of Daehyun's voice. But you were rudely awakened by sunlight streaming through your window.

You washed up and prepared to head out, ready for a new day. Whatever had happened yesterday was the past, and you wouldn't spend time dwelling on it. Plus, you had work, and you had to concentrate on that, in order to make a living and survive. Sighing, you stepped out the door and turned around to lock it. As you swiveled back around to head down the steps, you saw a figure sleeping there.

Daehyun.

You caught your breath, and the sound woke him. He looked up at you with sleepy eyes and smiled, still half-asleep. "Morning, sunshine," he greeted you.

You gritted your teeth. "What are you doing here?"

He blinked, as though just registering where he was. "Oh...good question. Here, can you help me up?" Daehyun stuck his hand out at you.

You sighed and helped him stand. "Honestly, I thought I was clear enough yesterday. We're over. So why are you here?" You sniffed slightly. "And drunk?"

He scratched his head sheepishly. "I, ahh...had a few drinks yesterday. I guess I wandered here out of instinct." He sighed. "I'm sorry, I won't bother you anymore. I'll get going." He picked up his bag, which was on the ground, and headed down the stairs. Halfway down, he stopped and turned back to look at you, his eyes full of sadness. Then it disappeared as he tried for a smile. "Have a good day," he said, and walked away.

Your heart was doing crazy things, and it hurt. You thought you were over it, but then he just had to show up and ruin your day by reminding you that whatever happened between you was now over. Even though you broke up because things had started to change.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I thought I said to be there by seven today!" Daehyun screamed at you, and you winced.

"No, Daehyun, I'm pretty sure you said nine--"

He threw his hands up in frustration and began pacing the room angrily. "I know that my family couldn't make it, because they would have to travel all the way from Busan. But you! You're my girlfriend, for goodness' sake! I wanted to get married with you some day! And you're the only person that's as close to family as I can get! But what do you do? You missed my big day! The speech that I've been preparing and practicing for a month, my biggest project, and you don't even go."

You already felt guilty when you'd arrived two hours late, and found that the event was over. You'd apologized over and over, though he'd said that it started at nine. It was his fault for not mentioning it to you when they decided to move it up to seven, and yet you'd apologized and did whatever you could to make it up to him. He'd been ranting to you about it for the past few hours, and it was already one in the morning. You were tired of this crap, and you said so. "Look, I've already apologized multiple times. I know, I get it, I'm really sorry. But don't you think you should have at least mentioned to me that they changed the time? You never said anything about it! And you know what? It's one in the morning. We've been discussing this since we got home, and I'm hungry, tired, and sleepy. Okay?"

He rolled his eyes. "You miss my big day and now all you care for is yourself. Fine, go to sleep." He put his coat on and left, slamming the door behind him.

You sank onto the couch and buried your head in your hands. Whatever had happened to the good old days?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The wind was nice as you walked home from work. Suddenly a cup appeared in front of your face and you searched for who was there. It was Daehyun.

"Are you stalking me now?" you asked incredulously.

"No," he said as you accepted the cup. "I just remembered you get off work around this time. And, you know, even though I got the message loud and clear...I think I'd like if we were still friends." Seeing the look on your face, he rushed to add, "I mean, we don't have to keep in contact all the time. But, you know, just have each other's numbers and whatnot so that say, if you ever need someone to talk to, well, I'm here."

You thought about it for a moment, sipping your drink, which was a green tea latte, your favorite. "Sure, why not?"

You sat on your front steps, and he followed suit. After a moment had passed, you said quietly, "You know, the next time you date someone...just keep yourself in check. I know that you have a hot temper, but don't take it out on her. Try to be understanding. Yelling's not the only way to solve a problem."

Daehyun sighed and drank from his own cup. "Yeah." He studied his shoes.

"You're not a bad person, you know. You have a good heart."

He was silent as he rubbed his shoes against the ground. "I'm sorry," he finally said.

"It's okay, I guess. It's all in the past."

"We could, you know, start over." With that, he looked into your eyes, pleading. "I'm sorry I was horrible and took my anger and stress out on you. I'm really sorry. I promise I won't do that anymore." He started tearing up, and you looked away. "I didn't realize how much you really meant to me until yesterday, when you broke up with me."

You sighed. "Look, Daehyun, this is just better for both of us. We should move on and learn from this. We'll keep in touch. But I'm sorry." You stood up. "I meant what I said yesterday. I should probably go now, I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/N: Wow guise I'm sorry, I haven't updated in a reallllllllllllly long time T-T

School and homework and tests and stuff, you know?

Anyway, happy late Thanksgiving!

Actually I've been working on this update ever since November but only had time for bits and pieces of it, and then new ideas popped up and then editing, so I just finished today~ ^^ Hope you liked it (Also the title is really lame and I'm sorry but I lack creativity...)