Byul Life pt2

~Daehyun Oneshots~

"Say what?" I asked again, sure that I had heard wrong.

"I...we...Daeson and I are brothers," Daehyun repeated.

I was silent for a moment. "So, you're saying that unbelievable, stuck-up jerk is your brother?"

Daehyun flinched. "Yeah. He's actually not as bad once you get to know him."

I snorted. "I'm sorry, but I have experience with those kinds." From dramas. "Rich, spoiled, selfish, and if anyone does anything wrong in the slightest, they get mad. Oh, and useless, too. That tends to be a thing with the rich folk."

"Look," Daehyun suddenly interrupted, sounding annoyed. "You can't just generalize like that. You don't know what most of these 'rich folk' have to put up with at home, so unless you know the full story, you shouldn't go around spouting ignorance like that." He stood and walked away without looking back.

I stared after him in shock, realizing too late that I'd forgotten that if Daehyun was Daeson's brother, he was one of those 'rich folk' too. I groaned and hit myself on the head. Stupid, I scolded myself. Think before you talk!

Appetite lost, I threw the remainder of my lunch away and trudged to my next class, almost late because I didn't know my way around the school. Daehyun happened to be in my class too, but he ignored me and sat with some of his other friends. I sighed and put my head in my arms when I heard the scrape of the chair next to me being pulled out.

"Nobody's sitting here, right?" a girl with pigtails and black glasses asked me.

I shook my head.

"So, you're one of the scholarship students, right?"

I sighed. Here we go again. "Yeah, what of it?"

The girl flinched at my tone, but continued on anyway. "Oh, that's cool! I'm a scholarship student too! Nice to meet you, my name's Seo Joohyun!" Joohyun stuck her hand out.

I shook it, bad mood going away slightly. It was nice to finally meet another scholarship kid here. "Nice to meet you too, I'm ____."

A guy with red hair sat down in the table in front of us and whirled around to face Joohyun and me. "Oh, hey Joohyun! You have physics with me too, huh!" He finally noticed me, and stuck out his hand. "I don't think we've met, right? I'm Cha Hakyeon."

I shook his hand. "______."

"So, you're a scholarship kid too, right?" Hakyeon leaned closer and stage-whispered, "I heard about what happened between you and Jung Daeson." He shook his head. "You've got guts, girl, messing with the richest senior in the school."

I huffed. "I didn't even do anything to him! I bumped into him in the morning and he acted like I stole something of his. But I even apologized! Sheesh." I sighed. "So anyway, are you a scholarship kid too?"

Haekyeon shook his head. "Nope! I'm not on scholarship, but my family is nowhere near as rich as Jung Daeson."

"Ah," I said.

Joohyun joined in the conversation at this point. "Say, have you seen Jung Daehyun? He's Jung Daeson's little brother. Oh my goodness, he's such a heartthrob! So handsome~ and he's in our class too!"

I caught Hakyeon sneering at her teasingly, but Joohyun didn't notice. She was too busy staring at Daehyun in the front talking with his friends. As I looked over at him, he caught my eye, and looked away again, laughing at something someone said. I felt my heart squeeze; even though I'd just met him, I felt that he would be a good friend, and I was angry at myself for being stupid enough to ruin that chance.

At that moment, the teacher walked in and my little trance was broken. Class began.

When the school day was finally over, I went to my locker, only to find Daehyun standing there. I took a deep breath and walked over to him. "Hey," I greeted.

He nodded slightly in acknowledgement and moved out of my way so I could get to my locker. "So," he said once I was done, "do you have anything to say?"

I looked up at him. "Yeah...I'm sorry. I spoke without really thinking about who I was talking to, or what I was saying." I looked down in shame and embarrassment. "If it makes you feel better though, the 'experience' I talked about was from dramas. You know, kinda like Boys Over Flowers? Or a whole bunch of other ones?" I sneaked a look up at him again, and saw that he was trying hard not to laugh. I playfully smacked him with my textbook. "Why? What's wrong with me watching dramas?"

"I stopped being mad at you a while ago. I just wanted you to realize what you'd done wrong and remember it, so that you don't do that anymore." He put an arm around me and pretended to put me in a headlock. "You pabo, you of all people should know I don't hold grudges very well."

"What do you mean?" I asked once he let go. "I only met you today."

He laughed and was about to respond when Jung Daeson and his possy arrived. "How was your first day of school here at Byul, Ms. Scholarship?" Daeson sneered.

I felt Daehyun stiffen despite himself, and I unconsiously pushed him behind me. "It was great, thanks for asking," I said cheerfully, pasting a bright smile on my face. "Can you believe how big that field is? And the lunches they serve--absolutely amazing!"

Daeson tch-ed. "That's right! All this is so new to you--since you got here on a scholarship, you must not have enough money to experience all this. Me? I've had stuff like this every day of my life, so it's nothing strange." He shrugged and leaned down. "Ms. Scholarship." With that, he walked away.

The moment he turned his back, I let the smile fall and clenched my fists. "That's right. I'm here on a scholarship. I wonder if you would have gotten in if you weren't born rich? Me being on a scholarship just proves that I'm more hard-working."

I remembered that Daehyun was still there, and covered my mouth. "I'm sorry," I squeaked.

He gave me a wry smile. "It's okay. You're right. Despite him being my brother, I hate the guy with all I've got."

I studied him as we walked down the stairs and out of the school. "I don't get you, Jung Daehyun. One moment you're defending your brother, and then I find you saying you hate him."

He laughed rather bitterly. "That just means I understand why he's the way he is. I never said I like it."

True. "You're an unusual one," I commented.

Daehyun laughed. "That's good, right? That way I get the girls, since I'm original."

"What the heck? Jung Daehyun, you--agh, I don't even know. Anyway, I have to head home now. Bye~" I waved and ran to catch the bus before I missed it.

"Bye!" he called after me. I could hear his laughter, even from far away.

That night, as I lay on my bed, I thought about my hectic first day at Byul. And Jung Daehyun. Cheerful, nice, energetic, seemingly always happy, and yet there was a mysterious side to him.

I guess the good thing, I thought as I fell asleep, was that Jung Daehyun was a polar opposite of his older brother.

 

A/N: Ahaha, I feel the ending was really bad, but I just wanted to build suspense :3

And if any of you noticed, Cha Hakyeon = N from VIXX, and Seo Joohyun = Seohyun from SNSD. And I chose them because...well, I'll explain once the plot progresses to that point, muahahaha~

Comment please~