Plan Backfire

~Daehyun Oneshots~

"Honey, don't forget we have dinner with the Jungs today!" your mom called as you ran down the stairs, determined not to be late for school. As you reached the bottom, she whispered conspiratorally, "I remember you used to dislike Daehyun. This isn't a formal dinner, so you can dress comfortably." She winked at you, and you grinned.

"Great, thanks umma!" You gave her a hug, then rushed out the door. "I'll be going to school now!"

School passed by relatively quickly, and luckily you didn't have too much homework. You showered and stood in front of your closet, considering what to wear. You and Jung Daehyun had been close friends since young. The guy was a great guy, but you'd seen him as only a friend. So when he'd confessed to you back in fifth grade before he'd moved away, you'd rejected him. As nicely as possible, of course. You'd been uncomfortable and awkward, and from there you convinced yourself that you hated the guy, just to get over the awkwardness.

But now, he and his family were back, and you were still left with those uncomfortable memories. So now you faced a dilemma. You wanted to seem ridiculous, but not so bad that society frowned upon you. You decided to choose the worst possible outfit from the clothes you had: a huge sweatshirt (that was very comfortable and you wore to sleep) and outrageously noisy jeans (patters everywhere). But still tried with your hair. You even put on your fake glasses to make it seem like you tried, even though you wore your contacts.

Once you got to the Jungs' house, you looked yourself over. Oh well, if you happened to regret it, it was too late now. "Aigoo!" Mrs. Jung called out once she opened the door for your family. "You grew up so well!" she said, patting your face, and you did your best to grin at her. "Come in, come in."

"Hello, Mr. Jung, Mrs. Jung," you greeted them with a bow.

"Ah, it's been so long!" Mr. Jung said, shaking everyone's hands and giving you a hug.

"Daehyun-ah! The Yoons are here! Come down so you can greet them properly!" Mrs. Jung yelled vaguely up, then turned to your family. "Excuse me for that, he should be down shortly. Meanwhile, take your coats off, get comfortable! You can leave your stuff here, and then we'll eat in the dining room. The food's all ready!" She leaned closer to you. "I made you your favorite, from when you were little."

"Oh, thank you, Mrs. Jung!" you replied with another smile and another bow.

"Aigoo, such good manners!"

Everyone settled in the dining room, and Daehyun finally made his appearance. Sadly to say, he'd grown up well. Extremely well. He was very good-looking, and he was now over a head taller than you. You mentally cursed yourself as he took one look at you, smirked, and looked away to greet your parents.

Daehyun took the seat across from you and refused to meet your eyes throughout the whole dinner, yet smiling all the while. Once everyone was satisfied and the adults went off to the living room to chat, Mrs. Jung said to you and Daehyun, "You two can have some time to yourselves. Catch up on all the years separated, and whatnot." She winked and you groaned inwardly. This was going to be fun.

You decided to stay in the dining room, because it was relatively far from the living room. "Well, well," Daehyun drawled. "You grew up to be pretty."

You could feel yourself blushing and looked down.

"But I have to admit, your fashion sense is a little..."

You sighed. "I know." Though of course you weren't about to admit that you'd done this on purpose.

Daehyun studied you thoughtfully. "You know what, let's go shopping tomorrow."

"What?" Had you heard right?

"I said, let's go shopping tomorrow." He frowned at your outfit in distaste. "You need some clothes that fit you properly," he said, referring to your intentionally too-big sweatshirt.

"I have clothes," you defended yourself. "I don't need more."

"Well, yeah, I never said you don't have clothes," he agreed. "I'm just saying we should get you some that, ah, how should I say this, don't make you look...terrible."

You glowered at him, though you didn't really have a reason to take offense, seeing as this was the reaction you'd been planning for anyway.

"Starting tomorrow, we'll be going to the same school, so let's just go after school?" Daehyun raised his eyebrows at you, though it was obvious that he didn't really need your opinion; he'd just drag you whether you wanted to go or not.

"Alright, fine," you finally gave in. "But tell me, why are you doing this again?"

"Because I'm a nice person."

You sighed.

"You know what, let's go to my room," Daehyun suggested.

You didn't have any better ideas, so you followed him upstairs. His room was surprisingly neat and cozy. Daehyun plopped onto his bed and sprawled his limbs out comfortably. You looked away, because you were a decent person. "What, are you embarrassed now?" Daehyun asked.

"What the heck are you doing?" you cried indignantly, still looking away.

"Aw, you poor innocent thing," he said, sitting up. "This is my room, so I can be as confortable as I want. You wanna hear a secret?"

"No."

"I'll tell you anyway. I could take off my clothes right now, because I don't normally sleep in my clothes, and this is my room."

"What the hell is wrong with you, Jung Daehyun? I don't think you used to be like this!" You whirled around and stalked out of his room, blushing furiously.

Daehyun followed you, skipping happily. In fact, you were surprised the second floor didn't fall down, the way it sounded whenever he landed. "Relax, princess, I'm kidding. Or, well, no, but you know I was just teasing."

You sighed. How were you going to deal with this tomorrow?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All day in school, your friends would not shut up about "that cute new guy."

You were at your limit, when your friends found out that you and Daehyun were friends and started screaming and fangirling. Ridiculous. Sure, he may be good-looking, but...honestly, the guy was a jerk.

Screw that shopping trip, you were going home to do that mountain of homework due tomorrow.

Or at least, that's what you thought until you felt an arm on your neck, half-friendly, half-dragging you across the parking lot. "Hello, friend," Daehyun said cheerily. "I certainly hope you weren't planning on ditching me and going straight home. There's no way you would do that. Right?"

Jerk. "And what if I was?" you shot back.

Daehyun tsked and started his car. In fact, you hadn't even realized he'd pulled you into his car, or that he had one at all; you were so ticked. "You don't realize how lucky you are. You take me for granted," Daehyun said with a pout, which you had to admit, was killer. "How many girls would kill for this chance?"

"You know what your problem is? You're too full of yourself, Daehyun." You sighed. "I remember when you used to be this innocent little kid with this sweet personally. Now look at you. What happened?"

"See where that got me," he muttered. "Rejected, then moved, rejected yet again, and rejected every single time until I changed."

You didn't catch all of it. "Sorry, what?"

"Nothing. We're here," he announced. You tried to open your door, but Daehyun was there and ordered you to stick your legs back in. Then he slammed the door in your face. After one second, he opened the door with a smile and a flourish. "After you, my lady."

You glared at him. Daehyun tsked again. "You're not letting me be a gentleman."

"I'm an independent soul, I don't need--"

"Of course you do, everyone does," he cut you off, and grabbed your hand. You tried to pull it back, but he was too strong. He grinned at you. "You can't beat me in strength, you know."

You narrowed your eyes at him. "You forget I'm a black belt in martial arts. Say anything more and I will flip you like a pancake."

Daehyun laughed. "You forget that I am, too."

"Oh." That was true; you had forgotten. "It's okay, I'll flip you anyway." You gave him an overly bright, cheerful smile, and he stared at you, for once quiet.

"You should smile more," he commented. "It looks better than that scowl you always wear."

"I only scowl around you."

"Aw, I feel special."

You smacked him in the arm.

Daehyun inspected and critiqued every single item you tried in the store until you put on a pale pink sleeveless dress with polka dots. He stood up and gave it a standing ovation.

You frowned. "This? Seriously?"

"Yeah, it brings out your eyes quite nicely."

You rolled your eyes. "Daehyun, my eyes are so dark, they're practically black. I don't think this dress helps at all."

Daehyun tsked. "You just love to kill my good mood, huh? Whatever, take that dress. I'll pay for it."

"But I don't want--"

He pushed you back into the dressing room. "Change. I'm buying that dress for you."

You sighed, changed, and came out running. It wasn't that you didn't like the dress; you just didn't want him to buy it for you, because he'd literally seen you for only one day since coming back. It didn't feel right for him to spend money on you, much less on your supposed lack of fashion sense.

Unfortunately, Daehyun had anticipated this, and caught you around the waist. You were so shocked, you froze. "Gotcha," he whispered in your ear as he plucked the dress from your arm. "Now, let's go pay for this."

You snapped out of it and argued until he said, "Look, what kind of boyfriend would I be if I never buy anything for my girlfriend?"

You narrowed your eyes. "Since when were we dating?"

"Since fifth grade, when I confessed to you." He gave you a smile and swiped his card.

You punched him in the arm, for real this time. "Ow!" he cried, still signing.

The saleswoman smiled at you two. "Oh, I'm jealous of you two. You're so cute together."

Daehyun chirped back, "Thanks, I know, right?"

You smacked him in the other arm. "Ow!" he rubbed his arm, and looked sheepishly at the saleslady. "As you can see, she's really shy."

You raised your hand again and he flinched. Then you smiled and bowed at the saleslady, who was still watching you two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Seriously, I'm trying to be nice here. Was all that violence necessary?"

"We're not dating. You don't need to be nice."

"You just haven't accepted it yet," Daehyun replied, perfectly calm, walking you to your door. "Here," he said, handing you the bag. "Please do try not to burn it."

"I'll try," you said, accepting the bag. "Thanks," you suddenly said honestly. Despite yourself, you were happy that he was back, happy that he'd been kind enough to buy this for you, and also secretly happy that he liked you. Because, you realized, you'd actually like him too, all these years.

 

A/N: Double update!

Also, I'm sorry because this is really badly written, but I had the idea and wanted it out before it dragged on for months again. I also wanted to write something more lighthearted because lately I've been writing angst and it's a little bit depressing. (also sorry for the lame title again...........................)

Hope you like ^^