Practice Night

~Daehyun Oneshots~

Your phone beeped yet again, most likely another text from your boyfriend. Heaving an annoyed sigh, you checked. Yep, it was Daehyun. Again.

Honestly, you would normally love that fact that he was texting you. But today, you were working your shift at the restaurant, and it was especially busy today. You felt horrible for ignoring the past ten texts that Daehyun had sent, but really now. It wasn't like you had a choice.

After serving a couple their orders, you headed back into the kitchen and pulled your phone out.

"Hey, what's up?
--Daehyun"

"You want to come with me to practice?
--Daehyun"

"I know you're probably busy, but please~
--Daehyun"

"We can go do something afterwards.
--Daehyun"

"Come on, please?
--Daehyun"

"Okay, at this point, I feel like you're just ignoring me.
--Daehyun"

"....are you really ignoring me?
--Daehyun"

"Are you mad at me? Did I do something?
--Daehyun"

"Come on, whatever I did to make you mad, I'm sorry.
--Daehyun"

"Please, come with me to practice~
--Daehyun"

"Please~ TT-TT
--Daehyun"

You couldn't help but grin, being able to hear his rambling just from reading the texts. And the poor guy thought you were mad at him or something. You replied:

"No, Daehyun, I'm not mad at you. I'm not ignoring you either, we've just been really busy at the restaurant today, sorry. Can I still come? My shift ends at 7.
--♥--"

The reply came almost immediately.

"Of course! I'll be there at 7, then. See you!
--Daehyun"

Smiling, you put your phone away and headed back to do your job. At exactly seven o'clock, you saw Daehyun walk through the door. He must have spotted you, too, because he grinned from ear to ear and waved. You were carrying a tray, so you couldn't wave back, but you headed over to him. "Once I get this cleaned up, I'll be done. I'll be right back!" you assured him as you headed into the kitchen.

A few moments later, you pulled on your jacket and headed out with Daehyun. The cool night air hit you, and you breathed it in happily. As you walked, Daehyun reached for your hand, and you smiled up at him. "So, you're going to be singing with the guys again?"

"Yeah," Daehyun replied. "But I like it whenever you're there with me. I feel like I focus more."

You laughed. "What? You focus more when I'm there?"

He smiled ruefully and scratched the back of his neck, probably from embarrassment. "Well, yeah. I feel like....I feel like I want to prove myself more whenever you're there, so I focus and do better."

You didn't answer, only swung your arm back and forth happily. You and Daehyun reached the practice studio where Daehyun's friends were waiting, and you found a space to sit as the friends teased Daehyun.

"Yah, Jung Daehyun, you lovebird, you had to drag your girlfriend here?" one asked.

"Really now, aren't you afraid she'll be bored?" another one added.

"Nah," yet another guy drawled. "They're such lovebirds they'll never get sick of each other." This earned him a round of laughter from everyone, yourself included.

Finally, they got to work. Even though you should have been used to it now, Daehyun's voice blew you away. There were no words to describe how much you loved it: strong, yet soft; sweet, yet full of power. And it wasn't just that. The intensity of his eyes as he danced was something that you never really saw when you were together, and made you catch your breath. There was just one way to describe Daehyun when he was serious like this: stunning.

They took a break and Daehyun sat next to you. You handed him a water bottle, and he took it, smiling at you gratefully. "You were great," you told him.

"But that's what you say every time," he teased.

"Well that's 'cause you're great," you replied without missing a beat. Daehyun simply laughed. He ruffled your hair and gave you a one-armed hug, considering the fact that he was drenched in sweat. But you didn't mind.

"Oooh, they're at it again," someone called.

"Shut up," Daehyun yelled back good-naturedly.

They got back to practicing, and after another intense hour, they were done. You waited patiently as Daehyun changed and got himself cleaned up (how, you weren't sure, but he never looked or smelled sweaty after practice--perhaps there was a shower there. You'd never checked). As promised, he led you to a restaurant.

Daehyun ordered a patbingsoo, and even though you weren't hungry, you ate a few spoonfuls to make him happy. The rest, you let him wolf down, because not only was he always hungry, he'd also just come from practice. The two of you chattered on about unimportant things like homework assignments and the weather, but when you walked outside again, Daehyun fell silent.

"So...I've been meaning to tell you something," he started.

You were silent, listening to him.

"I'm not certain, and there's not much of a chance of this happening, but I just wanted to make sure that you knew," Daehyun continued. "You know how I really enjoy singing, right?"

You nodded, getting a sinking feeling in your stomach.

"Well, I was planning to maybe audition for some company, maybe become a trainee and debut someday. I know it sounds crazy, but I feel like music is something that I'd really like to do as a career."

You nodded again, slowly. "I know, you love singing, and I know how passionate you are about it. But...aren't all the agencies all the way in Seoul? So far away?"

Daehyun hesitated. "Yeah, they are. That's why I wanted to make sure you knew, so that if one day I do decide to go, it won't come as such a shock." Seeing the expression on your face, he hurriedly added, "But I don't know if I'm going to. I probably won't; it's such a far-fetched dream and..." he rambled on and on.

You felt horrible, knowing that if anything, you were holding him back, but at the same time couldn't bring yourself to imagine Daehyun not being there for you anymore. It hurt like a thousand knives piercing through your heart.

Somehow, though, Daehyun managed to distract you, and walked you home. You hugged goodbye, smiling up at him.

Once inside the house, you headed to your room, a nagging feeling in your stomach.

 

A/N: Okay, the ending is so horrible. I'm so sorry. To be honest I don't even know how it turned out to be angst-y at the end OTL

Anyway, got inspiration (...after a month, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry T-T) from watching a pre-debut Daehyun video. He was practicing with his friends, and there was a girl. I grew suspicious....and wrote this lolol

I'm sorry I'm such a horrible author guise, I never update *sobs*