Birthday

~Daehyun Oneshots~

[Birthday Special ^_^]

Today was June 28th.

Your birthday.

Your crush's birthday.

Of course, not like he would ever know it was your birthday too.

You rolled out of bed and got ready for school. It was your last day today, and it just so happened to be your birthday. And Jung Daehyun's, the guy you've liked since forever. You two used to be great friends but as you grew older, you slowly drifted apart. However, your feelings for the guy had never changed.

You arrived at school early. You headed over to Daehyun's locker, making sure no one saw you. Taking the card you had specially made for him out of your bag, you slipped in into the locker. It read, "Hey. Happy birthday! We haven't talked in a long time, but I remember how much you love food. I have a surprise for you ^^. Meet me after school by the fountain out back. See you then."

Hopefully he'd be curious enough to meet you.

You then ran to your locker, heart pounding. What if he didn't show up? You'd be left with a whole bunch of cake and no one to eat it. As you opened your locker, something fell out. You bent down and picked it up. It was a card. Hmm. Must be Yuki, your best friend.

You opened the card. It messy but still legible handwriting, it read, "Hey there. Happy birthday, shorty! Birthday buddies ^^ let's meet after school today?"

It could only be from one person. So he still remembered your birthday.

The rest of the day crawled by as you went through your classes. Finally school was out and through the screams of seniors, you made your way to the back of the school with your bag of cheesecake and juice. You found a relatively shady spot to sit, as it was a sunny day, and waited. About five minutes later, he showed up.

"Hey shorty," he greeted you. "Long time no see."

Oh, you saw him all right. He just didn't see you. You glared at him. "Don't you go calling me shorty. I remember back in the day when I was taller than you." This earned you a laugh from him. "Here, sit down."

You took out the cake and plastic forks. As you got the big bottle of juice, you realized: "Oh no, I forgot to bring cups!"

Daehyun chuckled as he cut the cake. "Psh, that's no big deal. We'll just drink straight from the thing." Your face grew warm at this; wouldn't that mean indirectly kissing? Daehyun continued on, "Remember when we were kids, and you stole my juice pouch? You just drank the entire thing like it was yours."

You laughed. "Yeah, you were so mad at me, you didn't talk to me for a week."

The two of you ate in companionable silence for a while. "So, you remember my birthday," you said.

"Yeah. It's not that hard, considering it's my birthday too. Speaking of, you remembered my birthday."

"It's not hard, considering it's my birthday too," you repeated.

After another moment of silence, you started, "So--" just as he said "Actually--"

"You go ahead," you said, wanting to push off the matter.

"No, no, ladies first," Daehyun replied, gesturing.

You cleared your throat. "So...there's actually a reason why I asked you to come out here." You paused and he raised and eyebrow, nodding at you to continue. "I...uh." You stopped, changing your mind. Maybe now wasn't the time. "I missed talking to you, and you know, it's your birthday today," you finished lamely, frustrated at yourself.

He seemed somewhat disappointed. "Yeah? Well. I miss talking to you too." He cleared his throat and looked away towards the sky. "I gave you that note because I had something to tell you."

You could hear your heart pounding in your ears.

"I...uh. Um. I...like you," he mumbled.

You weren't sure you heard right. "Sorry, say that again?"

"I like you. I always have. Every since we were kids, you were always special. I didn't really understand it back then. Now I do. But eventually once we grew up we weren't close anymore, so I never had an oppurtunity to tell you. And I decided, since today is a day special to both of us, today should be the right day."

A smile crept on your face. "Actually, that was the reason why I wanted to meet you here too. I wanted to tell you I like you...but I was too afraid to say it. Even just now." You buried your face in your hands.

Suddenly you were in his arms and you could feel his warmth. "Well, then. That's okay. Since now we understand each other."

You nodded, about to cry of happiness.

He pulled back. "So..will you be my girlfriend?"

Your mind went blank.

He rushed on, "I understand if you didn't mean you liked me in that way. But...I mean, today's my birthday. It's the least you could do, right?"

Your brain worked again and you swatted at him. "Of course I will, you silly--"

His arms were around you again and knocked the breath right out of you. "Thanks."

"You too."

Followed by a moment of silence.

"What are we doing?" you asked suddenly, curiously.

"I don't know," he admitted. "I guess we're just being a happy couple."

You laughed. "That's true." And you smiled up at him.

 

A/N: Happy birthday to one of the most handsome, special, talented guys ever, Jung Daehyun ♥

Hope you enjoyed! ^_^