A Strange Night

~Daehyun Oneshots~

"Would you please, please hurry up?"

That would be Daehyun. You'd grown up together and were close friends. And currently, rushing you so that you weren't late for school.

You groaned, got out of bed, and hurried to get ready. You brushed my teeth and changed as quickly as you could, and pulled your hair back into a messy ponytail. Slipping on your shoes and throwing on your backpack, you ran down the stairs and out the door, hurriedly telling your mother goodbye.

"Yeesh, what took you so long?" You glared up at him. He was at least half a foot taller than you. And was that a smoothie he was holding?

"I'm a girl, I take a long time to get ready. And what are you doing with a smoothie so early in the morning?"

He smirked. "It's my breakfast. Because I actually have enough spare time in the morning to get a breakfast. Why, you want some?"

"Psh, yeah, gimme." You reached for the cup but he held it high above his head.

"Uh-uh," he taunted. "Mine."

Meanwhile, the two of you had reached the school gates. He threw away his (now empty) cup and you headed for your locker. You sat down in homeroom and put your earphones on. You heard Daehyun pull out a chair and sit next to you. "What are you listening to?"

"Super Junior. Way more awesome than you." You stuck your tongue out at him. Of course that wasn't true; he had the best voice in the world, in your opinion. But he didn't need to know that. To him, you thought SuJu was the best.

"Psh, please. You--" he got cut off as the teacher took attendance.

At lunch, you and Daehyun sat together. "So, prom's coming up soon."

"Yeah," you replied, munching on your food.

"Are you planning to go with anyone?"

"I don't really plan to go, and so far nobody's asked me yet."

"Oh, come on. I really want to go, but nobody's going to come."

"All you have to do is ask a random girl. I mean, look," you said, nodding in the direction of a bunch of girls who were staring at Daehyun. "They obviously would love to go with you."

"No, I don't want to go with them. I don't even know them. And to be honest, they're sort of creepy, following me everywhere."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I want you to go with me. Because then I'm not stuck with anyone I don't know, and I won't feel obligated to stick with whoever else I might ask the whole time."

"But...you know I hate dances."

"Yeah, I know, but just come? Think of it as if you were doing me a favor."

"Geez. Fine. But I don't even have a dress or anything."

Daehyun looked utterly exasperated. "Then go dress shopping! Heck, I'll take you if I have to. That's settled then, we're going dress shopping for you Saturday--tomorrow. I can't believe that I have to take you. Me, a guy. Seriously?"

You stuck your tongue out at him. "You're the one who wanted me to go in the first place."

He sighed. "Fine. Whatever."

When you got home after school and Daehyun told your mom of his plans to take you dress shopping the following day, she was ecstatic. "Oh, yes, Daehyun honey, go ahead! My poor girl needs to go out more."

"Umma!"

She laughed and waved the two of you off. "Have fun, kids! Aigoo, my baby girl is growing up!"

You groaned again as Daehyun laughed. At the mall, you went into store after store, trying to find a dress that you were okay with. After hours of trying on a million differnt ones, Daehyun held up a simple, black strapless dress that would reach just above the knees. "Here, I think this'll look nice."

You went to go put it on and looked at the mirror. Not half bad, you thought to yourself. You went out to get it approved by Daehyun, and his eyes widened. "Wow, you look...good. Okay, we should take this one."

Despite the fact that you thought of him as a brother, you blushed and went to change back into your normal clothes. "I actually need to get myself a tux or something too," he said as you walked out of the store.

So you followed him into several different places and got to see him try on different pieces. Finally you approved of a black dress shirt and silver tie, along with pants that were rather...flattering. Throughout the whole thing you'd started to notice that the kid you grew up with, had grown up well. He was actually rather handsome, and you were glad that if you were going to prom, it was with him.

Finally, on the day of prom, you wore the black dress and your mom offered to do your hair--it was now semi-wavy; girly but not-so-girly in a way that you approved of. Daehyun came to pick you up and drove you to school. Inside, with the music blaring, you found a couple of your other friends and went to talk to them. When it was time for a slow song, you found Daehyun standing next to you. "Hey, since you're supposed to be my date for this, you want to dance with me?"

"Sure, but I'll most likely step all over your feet."

By the end of the song, his face was set in a grimace. "You really meant it when you said you'd step all over my feet."

You grinned at him. "Yep! I never learned how to dance. Sorry."

He grumbled under his breath and wandered off. But when another slow song came on and a guy you had a few classes with asked to dance with you, Daehyun reappeared out of nowhere and slung an arm around your shoulders. "Nope, sorry, she's taken," Daehyun told him with a smile. Once the guy left, Daehyun dropped his arm and you whirled on him.

"What the heck, Daehyun?"

His grin faded. "Why, did you like him?"

"No, but...that's the first time a guy has asked me to dance!"

"Don't I count as a guy?"

"Yeah, but, no, you know what I mean!"

Suddenly his face changed and he grabbed your arm, pulling you with him out into the hallway, where it was quiet and slightly dark. "Actually, no, I don't know what you mean. I'm rather sad you haven't put it together by now. Maybe I didn't make it obvious enough. But I like you, okay?"

Your head stopped working for a minute. "You what?"

He sighed. "I like you. I have for the past few years, but I wasn't sure about how to tell you."

Suddenly all doubt about liking him vanished within you. You sighed too. "I like you too. I don't know when or how it started, but I do."

For the first time in all the years you've known Daehyun, he blushed. "Alright then, well now that we have that settled, you want to go dance?"

You smiled at him. "Awww, is Daehyunnie blushing? And sure, let's go."

After the event ended, he drove you home and walked you to your door. "So, uh, I guess I'll see you tomorrow," he said, suddenly shy.

"Um, yeah."

Before you even realized what had happened, he gave you a peck on the lips and ran back into his car.