Honesty

We are just friends, aren't we?

One week had passed by, marking your first month dating Daesung. Time went by faster now that you where spending most of your time with him, but it also meant another month of your parents dead had come by. You told the guys you wanted to go to your parent’s grave alone and they respect your decision, Dae tried to change your mind but Ji make him stop.

Let’s give her some room Dae, don’t be such a clingy boyfriend” Ji say to Dae making him blush on the spot.

“Ani Hyung, I just don’t want for her to be alone”

“I’m going to be all right Dae, I need to talk to my parents alone” you replied “don’t you all worry, let’s met later to eat”

“Oh yeah, guys let’s eat at my place, my mom has being nagging me that you have forgotten about her” Seung Hyun said while scratching the back of his head.

“Well, since I can’t say no to ommonim’s cooking I agree” you replied “see you all later”

You kept replaying this scene on your head while you were driving to the cementary.  Finally, you arrived, parked your car and grab the bouquet of white tulips that were seating on the back seat.

You made your way to your parents grave, while taking a deep breath because this was the first time you where coming here alone. You arrived in front of your parent’s grave, made a bow and started talking.

“Annyeong omma, appa. It’s me your silly daughter Sun Hi. I can’t believe there has being already 4 months since we last saw each other. I’m ok, I have being taking all my meals and I’m just 1 month and a half away to finish my major. I still don’t know what im going to do after that but like I promise you appa, I will finish what I started and all of this will be thanks to your support”

You started cleaning up the dust of the graves and place the bouquet of flowers on top of them.

“Omma, see I brought your favorite flowers. Aren’t they pretty? Dae said that white tulips remind him of me, because they are simple and delicate. Yes omma, I’m dating Dae, don’t be mad appa, he is a nice guy; but I’m still trying to correspond his feelings for me, it hasn’t being easy but I think someday I might get there. I just wanted to let you know that I’m ok, you don’t have to worry about me, I have learned to take care of myself. I just wish I could hug you one last time” you said while wiping a tear from your cheeks “Ani, I promise myself I wouldn’t cry, I want that you see that you left a strong daughter behind not a weak kid that still cries at 23”

You took a deep breath and finish cleaning up the graves, before you knew it you have being there for over 3 hrs. You bowed goodbye to your parents and took your leave.

It was already 6:30pm when you where getting back to Seoul, so even though it was early you decided to make your way to Seung Hyun’s place. You got of your car and ring the doorbell, you where praying in your inside that it was Seung Hyun’s omma who would open up, but to your pleasant surprised it was Hye Yoon’s unnie.

“Sun Hi, its being ages since I last saw you. What did my stupid brother did that you stop coming here?” Hye Yoon asked you as soon as she let go of her embrace.

“Ani, unnie he didn’t do anything, I have being way too busy lately with college stuff, I’m about to graduate so I’m swamp in works and studying for my finals” you replied to her while following her inside the house.

“Actually I wanted to talk to you for so long Sun Hi-ah, do you mind going to my room, I don’t want omma interrupting us”

You just nodded and follow her upstairs all the way to her room. You haven’t being in that room since your parents past away, but you where trying not to over think stuff, you took a seat on the bed as well as she did, but she shock you with what came out of .

“I hear you are dating Daesung Sun Hi, but let’s be honest I know you like my brother”

You took a minute to organized your thoughts before replying “Unnie you are wrong, my feelings for Seung Hyun are simply like the ones you feel for a big brother”

“Don’t lie to me Sun Hi, I have known you since you where a kid, I have seen the way you look to my brother, and I also know something must have happened between you guys, because since you enter college the way you look at him was a mix of pain, betrayal and hope and that look hasn’t change ever since”

You look the other way trying to think in something else, but you knew Hye Yoon unnie was the only girl friend you had and could trust to and you where feeling so tired of having to bottle up everything to yourself. You took a deep breath and started to tell her everything that happened between you and Seung Hyun, the kiss and the way he acted like he didn’t care.

Hye Yoon just listened to you without interrupting you and when you finished up she finally replied.  

“Aish, this stupid babo, I’m going to kill him!! How can he be so dense?” she replied “I really don’t know what is going on that head of his. But despite that, he may be the densest and stubborn guy there is, but he truly cares about you Sun Hi, and not as a friend or a donsaeng, but as a woman”

“Unnie, jebal, don’t say things like that, I know he is your brother, but don’t lie to me”

“Is true dear, I can see it in the way he looks at you, he cares deeply for you, he is so protective and gets jealous so easily when it comes to you”

“You may say that unnie, but if he truly cared about me in that way, shouldn’t he had said something or show his feelings in some way after all this time?”

“Well my brother can say a lot of things and do a bunch of others, but being good with his feelings isn’t one of them.  You just need to give him time dear”

“More time unnie? I have waited for him for 6 years, I didn’t date anyone nor even consider giving someone else room in my heart, but now that a guy as sweet and perfect as Dae comes and ask me out, should I had tell him no and keep waiting until Seung Hyun made up his mind? And how long will that be? Should I punish myself and not let my heart be love back because he is too dense to see my feelings for him?” you let out with a tear rolling down your cheek.

Hye Yoon sighed before replying “unfortunately you are right Sun Hi, I can’t tell you to date or not date Dae, but don’t you think it isn’t fair for him if you don’t feel the same way as he does for you?”

“I know it isn’t fair unnie, but I really feel I can come to love Dae, he is so sweet and a part of me truly likes him for being so special and always standing by my side. I just need to give myself time to truly develop strong feelings for him. He knows that and he is still willing to make us work”

“Well so I only have one last question; are you positive that you are willing to let Seung Hyun go?” she said looking straight into your eyes.

You took a deep breath before replying: “unnie, Seung Hyun was never mine to begin with and despite what you said I truly believe he doesn’t have the same feelings for me as I have for him, so is not like if I am willing, is more like I don’t have any other choice” you said and felt like another tear was falling down your cheek, you made a quick move to clean it up hoping Unnie didn’t saw it.

“Aigoo, Sun Hi, I truly hope that you will be happy with your decision at the end, I can’t help but say that I am disappointed of how this is turning out to be, because I always thought you will end up with my brother, but like you said it isn’t fair for you to keep waiting around forever. I just hope that Dae will make you as happy as you deserve to be”

“Thanks unnie, your words mean a lot for me too. To be honest I always thought the same as you, but is not fair for me to be waiting around forever” you said trying to smile and come to close with your choice.

“So, Dae and Sun Hi fighting!!! I hope for the best for you guys!” Hye Yoon unnie said while giving you a hug.

You hug her back and try to smile, your heart felt a little calmer now, knowing that someone knew how you truly felt and was willing to be supportive about all of this.

But someone else was listening to this conversation, hidden behind the door. A dumb fold Seung Hyun was trying to calm himself after hearing how you truly felt about him, what where your true feelings for Dae and how stupid he was for letting you go like that.