Coming back to reality

We are just friends, aren't we?

 

First day back at classes was like going through hell. Many of your classmates came to you and gave their condolences, even your professors where extra supportive at giving you more time to turn in a few of the assignments you where behind. But still, being back at classes just made you realize that just a few months away you will be graduating and be force to make a decision regarding what you are going to be doing with your life.

But before you knew it, already a month and a half went by and you and Dae where rushing to turn in your midterm papers, this help you to keep your mind busy, but still that uncertainty of not knowing what to do kept bothering you every day.

“So, Sun Hi-ah, how are you feeling?” Daesung asked while giving you a bottle of water, joining you in the bench outside of your faculty building.

“I’m a bit tired, is hard trying to grab the rhythm again, but is not nothing I can’t manage Dae, don’t worry” you said while giving him a smile back

“Well, according to what our professors said, all we have left is to turn in the papers for our midterm and then we can completely focus on studying for finals. We are about to arrive at our goal Sun Hi, just a little push and we will be there”

“You are right Dae, but seriously how do you manage to balance everything out? I mean, you are living on your own, you have the best grades and you still find time to help out anyone you can, is like you have super powers” you said while pinching Dae’s cheeks.

“Haha, ani, I don’t have super powers, I guess that’s just how I am. I can’t help to help out someone if it’s in my reach and I think literature is like a second nature to me, writing essays just comes out so naturally and I like being independent, it makes me feel like if I can take care of myself, I can also take care of the ones I truly love”

“See, you are so mature for our age Dae. Instead here I am, a mess of ideas, not knowing yet what I will be doing with my life”

“But Is not like I have my life figure out Sun Hi, I still need to figure out where this path is going to take me” he said and took a sip from the water bottle that was resting by his side.

“Common, Dae you practically have your future job work out already, or did you forgot the publishing company that has already offered you a job 2 times despite the fact that you are an undergrad or that one of our professors is trying to get you to start giving classes here? You are that good Dae, don’t underestimate yourself” you said while smiling “Me on the other hand, I’m a mess, I think the only way I can have a secure job is as an assistant at Jiyong’s n Bae’s company, and that’s only because I’m the owner’s cousin”

“You are wrong, you could be as good as I am and you just need to trust in your abilities. Also, you would be a great editor, just imagine how much feedback you could give a writer or how can you spot a great writing just by reading it at first glance. With that outgoing personality of yours, being an editor will be the ideal job”

“Hahahaha, I don’t think so Dae, I believe I would traumatize the poor soul that will give me his work so I can edit it, just imagine the poor guy becoming a mess because of my straight forward and harsh criticism, he will give up writing in the spot and I could have deprive the world of the next Hemingway or Victor Hugo” you said while chuckling.

“Well, you have a point there, but that will also be your forte, you wouldn’t let the world see something that you didn’t feel could bring something positive to the literary world, like an avenger for good literature”

“Really Dae, you think way too highly of me, you are indeed my number one cheerleader and guardian angel. You always take everything badly I say about myself and turn it into something positive. In a way you remind me of my father, he always did the same whenever I was complaining” you said while feeling a slight ache in your heart at the memory of your father.

“I will always do it; you need to have a better perspective of yourself. And I think your Dad is happy that someone is still saying this kind of stuff to you. But changing a bit the topic, how you being this time living alone? Are you sure you are alright staying at your place alone?” your friend said with a bit of concern in his eyes.

“To be completely honest, I really don’t know if I’m alright or not. Since I spend most of my time here between classes or studying I haven’t felt like if things are ok or not. I won’t lie and say that is not weird, I miss seeing my mom at the kitchen and my dad yelling me to come downstairs to eat, is like a piece of my daily routine is always missing no matter what. Also, I feel the house so big and quiet, so the minute I walk in I have to turn the tv on so I won’t lose it. At first I thought that the weekends where going to be extra hard, but Jiyong’s always drops by no matter how busy he is and Seung Hyun also drops by, specially Saturday nights, he claims that Saturdays are our movie night, so I feel like I’m never truly alone. Plus you are always at my reach texting me and Seungri always drops by on Sundays to grab lunch with me. Having you guys in my life has made me feel like I might be alone sometimes but I’m not lonely, because you are always there for me”

“I’m so happy that you feel like that, seeing you like this brings joy to my heart Sun Hi, after all, at the end of the day all I want to see is your smile” Dae said while blushing a bit and taking his water bottle to try to cover from what he just said.

“Awww Dae you are so sweet. I’m so grateful for having you by my side; please promise me that you will keep on being here despite my craziness and outburst of madness”

“You don’t even have to ask Sun Hi” Dae said and gave you a big smile.

“My guardian angel you are so sweet. OMO, Dae look at the time, we better get going or we are going to be late for our next class and I don’t want to seat at the back, otherwise I will probably fall sleep in the middle of it” you said while getting up and start running back to the building.

No matter what, I will always stay by your side Sun Hi, seeing you smile is one of the reasons I get up every day” Dae said to himself before running to catch up with his friend.