Lies

Love is Forbidden on the Soccer Field

The principal roared into the microphone. "Welcome to this year's Cube High Annual Sports Competition, otherwise known as the Cube-ASC!"

The crowds cheered. Everyone was packed in a huge gymnasium where the first game was going to be held.

"The first of the games is basketball!" The principal yelled. "Will the two teams please get ready to go on?"

"You can do it guys!" You said urgently to the students playing. They were a mixture of the best basketball players from your team. "Don't panic, keep calm. We can do this. We can win."

They nodded, looking slightly nervous. You all shouted "Hwaiting" and they left.

Junhyung was leaning against the wall, watching you with hollow circles around his eyes and a slightly pasty look in his pale skin. Miyoung and Kikwang stood next to each other near you, but when they looked at each other they blushed and looked away.

On the other side of the room, Doojoon watched you quietly through sad eyes.

"We can do it, guys." Hyunseung said. "We can beat them, right?"

"Yeah." Doojoon said softly. "We can do it."

They left as well after "Hwaiting". Doojoon returned to staring at you again. He hated being so close to you now yet couldn't do anything. He wanted to run over to you, to hug you, to kiss you.

But you broke up with him. It was over now. Unless you found a way to discover the truth about everything, and find a way to get back together with him...................

You looked up and your eyes met briefl with his, then you turned red and looked away. Doojoon felt his heart break.

"Yah, Doojoon......." Hyunseung said quietly. "Did you know Shim Heran is back in Seoul?"

Doojoon jumped. "What?" He yelled in shock. "But......but......she's in Pusan!"

"Well, apparently she returned. She's watching the games." Hyunseung looked him right in the eye. "~~~~~~~-ah went looking for her yesterday. After the games, it's time to get a few things settled."

Doojoon groaned, his face paling. It wasn't having to deal with the problem that was bothering him. He wanted to get a few things clear too. But he didn't want to see Shim Heran. Not ever. He wondered what it would do to Junhyung.

He glanced at Junhyung, who besides looking sick and unhealthy basically looked the same -- arrogant, cocky, and angry. But Doojoon could see the pain in his eyes, the barest hint that most people missed. He's seen that for years now. And it still kills him to look into Junhyung's eyes, knowing he caused that pain.

Doojoon felt a spasm of jealousy when you walked up and smiled at him. Wait a minute! Didn't you hate him? You were supposed to be pretending to be his girlfriend..........did you give up on Doojoon so fast? Did you fall in love with Junhyung?

Was this how Junhyung felt when Heran left him?

"How are you feeling, Junhyung?" You asked with genuine worry. Now that you knew the reason behind Junhyung's cocky attitude, you knew he was a sweet guy.

Junhyung smiled at you and ruffled your hair. "I'm okay."

You felt really guilty. "Um.........Junhyung..........you know Heran is back in Seoul, right?"

Junhyung froze. "Is she here?"

"She might be." You whispered. "I don't know where. I asked if she wanted to watch the games, and she said yes. After this is all over, we're going to figure out the truth about everything and settle this once and for all."

Junhyung nodded, his head swiveling around to stare into the crowd fiercely, searching for those big, curious eyes he loved so much.

He couldn't find them, and he sighed heavily.

You patted his shoulder. "It will be okay, Junhyung. We'll sort this mess out, wait and see. Who knows? You may get back together with Heran in the end."

Junhyung gave a weak smile. "Yeah.............thanks."

Then he hugged you.

You stiffened up a bit, shivering at the intimate touch, but you managed to hug him back. You still hated skinship, besides of course when you were with Doojoon.

Doojoon.

Your eyes snapped open. Did he see this?

You broke away and stared into the crowd..............right across the stadium from you was Doojoon, staring at you and Junhyung with wide, pain-filled eyes.

He turned around and walked away, disappearing into the crowd and probably out of the gymnasium.

Junhyung noticed what you were looking at. "You know, I thought if I stole a girl he loved from him, he would feel my pain. I would be able to beat him at something. But...................it just makes me even sadder."

"Well, you guys were best friends." You said quietly. "It's hard to erase a friendship like that, even for a girl."

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Doojoon kept on walking until he was outside of the school. He breathed in the fresh air deeply, then collapsed backwards onto the ground.

"So this is how you feel, Junhyung?" He whispered. He crouched into a ball and hugged his knees. "I'm sorry, Junhyung. I'm so sorry. I should have told you the truth. I should have told you what really happened."

"What really happened, Doojoon oppa?" A sweet voice asked.

He looked up, and his face paled. Shim Heran stood in front of him, smiling sweetly.

He scrambled up to his feet. "H-Heran! So you really are here?"

"Yes." She smiled shyly, looking at her feet.

"Aren't you going to go see Junhyung?"

"I am...........but I wanted to see Doojoon oppa first." She whispered softly. She looked up at him. "Do you still love me?"

Doojoon glared at her coldly. "Spare me the act, Heran. You know I've never loved you."

Heran smiled sweetly, but there was an angry flash in her eyes. "What are you talking about, oppa? Didn't you promise to love me forever? Then break my heart and leave me?"

"I said STOP ACTING!!!" Doojoon yelled. "You've done NOTHING but ruin lives! Why can't you just leave us alone?"

"Oh, but I came here on the instructions of your GIRLFRIEND." Heran said, emphasizing the last word. She took a small step forward, and Doojoon stepped back. "I'm so surprised, oppa. You fell for another girl? And from what I heard, you promised the same thing to her. When were you going to break HER heart?"

Doojoon glared at her with hate-filled eyes. "Until you are ready to tell the TRUTH, Heran, I don't want you going ANYWHERE near Junhyung. You ruined his life, you know that? Just because of your own selfishness. Stay away from him until you stop lying, you hear me?"

"Ooooh, protecting your EX-best friend, oppa?" Heran sighed, smiling. "That's so sweet."

"Of course I'm protecting him. He's my best friend...........and despite how we act around each other, we always will be. Or, at least, that's what I hope." Doojoon added softly. He never wanted to lose Junhyung as a friend, but........................

Heran slid closer to him while he was wrapped in his thoughts. "Oppa........." she breathed, resting a hand against his chest. "...........I never got over you. I still love you................even though I should be loving Junhyung oppa. You stole my heart, and now I can't get it back."

Doojoon pushed her hand away. "I don't love you, Heran. I love ~~~~~~-ah.............my GIRLFRIEND."

Heran smirked bitterly. "But she dumped you."

Doojoon felt pain in his heart at her true words. "I will get her back. And that's a promise."

"I hope you keep your promise this time, oppa." Heran said, smiling at him again. "Because it would be a shame if Junhyung oppa stole ~~~~~~~-ah's heart the same way you stole mine."

Then she walked away.

Doojoon was so angry he punched the wall, ignoring the pain in his knuckles. He remembered Junhyung doing the exact same thing one fateful day many years ago. "..........." He hissed. "She lies so much she practically BELIEVES her lies.................."

He didn't return to the gymnasium. Instead, he went up to the library to sleep.

There was so much he was regretful of, so many things he wished never happened....................

Sooner or later, he would have to tell Junhyung the truth. The bitter, harsh truth Doojoon had kept secret for so long.

The question is: would everyone believe him?

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

"Yes!" You yelled, jumping in the air.

The principal spoke into the microphone again. "Red Team has won the game, with a score of 100-98. The first game of Cube-ASC is finished!"

"Yes!" Miyoung yelled, punching the air. She high-fived you and Junhyung, but when she reached Kikwang, she turned red and quickly looked away. Kikwang frowned, looking even more hurt.

"Congratulations, everyone." He said quietly before leaving.

Miyoung bit her lip as she watched him leave. Aaaaargh, I always say or do the wrong things around him and I end up hurting his feelings................why do I act this way around him?

You were happy your team won the first game, but you felt sad too. Ever since Doojoon saw you and Junhyung hug and left, you didn't see him all game long.

Hyunseung and Yoseob met your gaze, and they looked worried too.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

.