Shim Heran

Love is Forbidden on the Soccer Field

You couldn't get it out of your mind the next day. Shim Heran. Shim Heran. Shim Heran.

A girl who was Junhyung's girlfriend.

A girl who was taken away by Doojoon.

A girl who Doojoon promised the same sweet words to, yet broke her heart in the end.

A girl who may end up being you one day.

You wanted so desperately to believe it was just another lie Junhyung cooked up to split you and Doojoon apart, but there was no way he was lying, not when his face showed so much pain, hurt, and anger at that long lost memory.

No. You needed to find some answers. But who knew? Junhyung wouldn't tell you. You couldn't talk to Doojoon or else Eunha would gauge your eyes out (you still had to deal with her after this, too).

Who knew Junhyung and Doojoon?

You gasped in realization.

"Hyunseung." You whispered, then ran off.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

The bell rang, and the end of school came. Students chattered happily and the hallways were crowded with people.

"See you tomorrow." Hyunseung called to Doojoon and Yoseob, and left the building.

He didn't get far when someone grabbed him by the back of his collar and dragged him around to behind the building.

"Ow---owch, what the.......are you a Red Team basta-------OMO, ~~~~~~~-AH?"

You smirked slightly and let go of his collar. "What was that you were saying? A Red Team what?"

Hyunseung looked around nervously. No students were around. "T-this is dangerous, ~~~~~-ah. We shouldn't be doing this. You almost got caught with Doojoon before, you wanna get caught this time with me?"

"I know this is dangerous." You said slowly. "But there's something really, really important I have to ask you. Something that involves Doojoon.........and Junhyung."

You watched his face closely when you said it, and noticed Hyunseung's eye twitched slightly when you mentioned Junhyung's name.

"Oh.....I-I see. So, Junhyung told you about...............HER, huh?"

"Yes. But you're right. It's too dangerous near the school. Meet me in an hour at Seoul Park. I have some questions I need answers to." You quickly walked away before Hyunseung could say anything.

Hyunseung sighed and scratched his head. "Aish, she really never changed. She's still the same."

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

You knew he could help you. You remember Hyunseung once told you that he, Doojoon, and Junhyung all went to the same schools together, ever since middle school.

You waited at the park by the fountain, your eyes growing slightly moist when you remembered this was where you had your first forbidden date with Doojoon.

"Yah, ~~~~~-ah............are you crying?"

You looked up in shock. Hyunseung had appeared out of nowhere.

"N-no! What are you talking about?" You quickly rubbed your eyes and stood up.

"Well, first of all........." You gave an awkward smile. "I really missed you, Hyunseung. And Yoseob too. And................um, you know..........." Just saying his name out loud made a lump in your throat.

Hyunseung nodded. "Alright, so what is it you want to know?"

"Everything." You said in a rush. "The whole Junhyung--Doojoon--Shim Heran. I want to know, Hyunseung. What if Doojoon does the same thing to me? What if he promises the world to me, then lifts it upon my shoulders and walks away?" You choked on your words.

Hyunseung sighed. "Alright.............I don't know if this is true or not, mind you -- this is only what I've figured out by witnessing it. First of all, you know how all three of us used to be in middle school together, right? And junior high?"

"Yeah."

"Well, that's when it started. Our third year in junior high. Back then, we were inseperable. Or, at least, Doojoon and Junhyung was."

Your eyes widened. "Doojoon and Junhyung were FRIENDS?"

"Even closer. They were best friends. Practically brothers. They went to kindergarten together. Whenever you saw one, you saw the other. They were practically one entire being. But then, that one day.........................everything started to change............................."

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Three years ago, at Seoul Junior High:

HYUNSEUNG'S POV:

"Hyung!" A very good-looking boy with sharp, piercing eyes and a slight smirk on his face yelled. He walked over, waving. The barest hint of a tattoo on his right forearm was shown because of the rolled-up sleeves.

"Back at you, dongsaeng." Another good-looking boy with an equally penetrating gaze yelled back.

Junhyung grinned and fist-bumped Doojoon. When I walked in, they fist-bumped me too, and I sat next to Doojoon.

"There they are! The Kingkas!" Girls whispered and giggled. Even the guys watched us in admiration.

Why? We were THE Kingkas of Seoul Junior High. We even had the nicknames. I was the ever-calm and peaceful Cool Kingka, the crazy sports-maniac Doojoon is the Sports Kingka, and with his piercing eyes and aggressive attitude, Junhyung was the Badass Kingka.

"Alright, class, settle down!" The teacher yelled. "We have a new student coming today! She's new to the city, so please treat her well and be her friend!"

The door opened, and a very pretty girl with bright, curious eyes and a petite, small frame entered the room. Guys began to mutter excitedly to each other, their hormones working.

"My name is Shim Heran." The girl sang in a high, sweet voice. "Please take good care of me." She bowed.

When everyone clapped, the guys whooped and cheered. The girls clapped politely too, but glared at the girl with suspicion.

"Do they think she's going to steal one of us or something?" I muttered to Doojoon.

"Maybe. Who knows what fangirls think?" Doojoon mumbled back. "What do you think, Junhyung?"

He didn't answer.

"Yaaaaaaah, Junhyung!!!!" Doojoon hissed.

He didn't answer again. He was staring at Heran, a smile fixed on his face. He couldn't take his eyes off her.

"Oh boy." Doojoon muttered to me. "I think he fell for her."

And Junhyung did. Hard.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

"HYUNSEUNG AND DOOJOON HYUNGS, GUESS WHAT??!!!" Junhyung's voice yelled through the speakerphone.

Doojoon jumped and I winced. "You don't need to yell, Junhyung. We can hear you. What?"

"I ASKED HER OUT!!! I ASKED HER OUT!!! I ASKED HERAN OUT!!!!" He yelled in delight.

"And what did she say?"

"YES!!!!!! SHE SAID YES!!!!!! SHE SAID SHE'S LIKED ME EVER SINCE SHE FIRST SAW ME!!!! IT'S LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, HYUNGS!!!!!"

"Okay, great, Junhyung." I said, happy for him. That guy's been obsessing over Heran for four and a half weeks until he finally got the courage to even TALK to her.

"I GOTTA GO, HERAN AND I ARE GOING ON OUR FIRST DATE TO THE AMUSEMENT PARK!!! LATER, HYUNGS!!! I'M SO HAPPY I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He hung up.

I laughed. "What a happy idiot. He better not mess up his date."

I turned to Doojoon. He wasn't smiling. He was frowning for some reason.

"What's up, Doojoon? Aren't you happy for him?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah......I am happy for Junhyung. But...........I don't think that girl is the right choice for him. There's something about this I don't like."

I stared at him curiously for a while. The way he talked..........it was almost as if he didn't want Junhyung to be together with Heran.................

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Flashback to be continued :D