Chapter 7: Afternoon Detention

Next Door: Kris, Insanity and BB Cream

 

 

 

We were both slapped with detention and an afternoon chore of cleaning the school gym. Needless to say, our parents weren’t too happy when we had to call them to let them know we’d be home late.

 

“I thought I told you to look after him?” my mother scolded. I could almost feel her presence, her tongue clucking and head shaking.

 

“I’m sorry,” I sighed. “I’ll make sure to put more effort into liking him.”

 

Kris had pinched me when I answered with such depression. I shot him a glare and gulped a mouthful of icy cold water to calm my own temper.

 

“How can you not like him?” my mum demanded. “He’s good looking, tall, funny and smart!”

 

I almost spat my water out at that one. Half-choking, I replied. “What?!”

 

Kris, who had been eavesdropping the whole time, pulled the most devastatingly cute expression of dejection. “Yeah, why Minhee?”

 

I ignored his face and replied coolly. “Mum, emotions cannot be forced.”

 

She scoffed and replied in a scarily serious tone. “I just had a quick chat with the Wu’s and your dad as well. We agreed you guys are going to undergo one week’s worth of intense bonding programs. We’re not taking no for an answer.”

 

“But mom-“

 

“Young lady, we are not impressed with your behaviour,” she replied, shaking me off and hanging up. I stared at the phone in my hands, unimpressed.

 

“Goddammit, Kris,” I groaned. “I can't believe that it’s only been three days since you got back from Canada.”

 

He looked up from the floor he was mopping lazily and grinned, drawing his lips over his teeth. “And my first day at school. I realise I’ve got quite a following.”

 

I had to roll my eyes at that one. The girls that Eunji and I had names so fondly, the “Barbies” had always been hard-core fans of Exo-M and were now tailing my idiot of a neighbour as if he was some god. Kris’s phone rang loudly, an embarrassing ringtone of “Hakuna Matata” from the Lion King movie. He shot me a glare as I rolled around the floor in silent laughter and picked up with a deep scowl.

 

“Hello?”

 

“KRIS WU!” his mother screamed from the other end as he flinched visibly. I pulled my hands over my head, getting ready to enjoy the show. “You’re the man; you’re supposed to be looking after her, not bullying her! Minhee is such a lovely young lady, she’s doing very well in school and you should aspire to be like her.”

 

“How so?” Kris replied amusedly, twirling his mop and splashing dirty, soapy water on my skin.

 

“She’s conscientious, level-headed, demure and strong,” his mother sighed. “I don’t understand why you don’t like her.”

 

“Yeah, why Kris why?” I asked, using his own words and pulling a puppy face. He shot me a long, deep glare before sighing.

 

“Okay, so what’s the punishment, mum?”

 

“Bonding programs, the minute you two come home from school, you guys will embark on a journey,” his mother said ominously. “The two of will learn the true value of human companionship.”

 

“That does not sound good,” I pointed out, dread pooling in my stomach.

 

“You will be cooking dinner for us. Handcuffed together. We’re not taking no for an answer.”

 

Oh my lord, they couldn’t be that cruel.

 

Kris was an absolute catastrophe in the kitchen (at least from what I remembered) and the fact that were gonna be handcuffed meant that-

 

I tried to shake the disturbing images from my mind.

 

“So… what are we going to do?” Kris asked.

 

“RUN AWAY!” I hollered, already halfway out the gym door.

 

“Good luck with that.”

 

I smashed face-first into my own father who did not look impressed. 

 

 

A/N:

Long time no update right? Sorry for the wait, I wasn't busy, the author was just one lazy sloth. :)

Thanks to all of you, seriously. SO MUCH LURRVVE TT^TT