Chapter 20: I'll Protect You

Next Door: Kris, Insanity and BB Cream

 

 

 

I looked down at my hands as I made a scissors motion. Luhan yelled happily and sighed in relief in the prospect of not having to enter the Haunted house. I looked over to see Kris smirking as he dusted his hands.

 

“I guess it’s just you and me,” he said smoothly.

 

“There’s no way I’m going in there,” I responded, faced paled with fear.

 

Groans erupted in the group as Eunji stared at me with wide eyes. She was very familiar with my only phobia in the world: Supernaturalism. I hated anything to do with ghosts, horror, demons, etc. It was an irrational fear but a fear nonetheless.

 

“But Minhee is so brave,” Tao whined, tugging my arm. “I’m sure you’ll be able to do it, especially with Kris gege protecting you!” 

 

I would’ve sniggered if it weren’t for my crippling fear. I would be lucky if he didn’t force me into cardiac arrest by scaring me inside the damn house. Eunji looked at me again, obviously panicked.

 

“Uh…” she said meekly. “I’ll go in there too if um you want me too?”

 

“No it’s okay,” I forced myself to say shakily. “We’ll be fine.”

 

I hated showing other people by weaknesses, it was embarrassing and pitiful. Eunji shut up and squeezed my hand comfortingly. Kris, like the dense person he was, was beaming happily and skipping. He was completely oblivious to the shaking and sweating of my palms. Frozen, I forced my lips to smile.

 

“Let’s go,” Kris cheered. “Hee-hee!”

 

“Yeah, tell us how it is when you get out!” Luhan called before smiling devilishly. “If you get out, that is.”

 

Okay that was so comforting.

 

Not.

 

Kris impatiently pulled me to the entrance and forced me in, in front of him as we advanced into the exhibit. The darkness and stale smell of props that had probably been there for fifty years only made the butterflies in my stomach worse. I felt like buffaloes were storming across the plains of my stomach.

 

“Hurry up,” he whined behind me and I realised I was shuffling. Very, very slowly.

 

Suddenly, a ghostly face appeared on my left side, brandishing a sword as fake blood trickled down its cheek. I shrieked and leapt into Kris’s arms, hiding my face inside his chest. He guffawed at my fear and jabbed me in the cheek. I felt like crying for the first time in sixteen years.

 

“Stop it,” I said shakily. “Please Kris, just stop it.”

 

He dropped his hand but still sniggered quietly into the back of his hand as I quickened my pace, eager to get out of the place alive. Something brushed my cheek and the hairs on the nape of my neck stood on their ends, the mere cobweb scaring me out of my wits. It touched my cheek so gently and yet, it had felt like it had been branded by a hot iron. Kris started whistling to annoy me and I couldn’t even find the energy to stop him from doing so. I lowered my head, too scared to cover my eyes in case I walked into something but too scared to look at what was ahead of me. The eerie silence, darkness and Kris’s heavy breathing made my heart beat a thousand times faster. My senses were hypersensitive, my ears picking up even the tiniest scuffling sounds.

 

“ROAR!” he bellowed, clomping me around the shoulders as I screamed, sinking to my knees and curling up into a tight ball. I felt hot tears prick my eyes and I forced them down. I kicked him away viciously, not even smiling when he backed away, whimpering in pain.

 

“Get me out of here,” I whispered. “I don’t care if we’re the worst enemies; just get me out of here.”

 

Kris was silent for a bit before I some cloth rustle. He squatted beside me, taking a peek at my face. “Are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine,” I replied stiffly, glad that the tears that were threatening to spill were well concealed by the pitch-black darkness. In an instant, he had bundled me into his arms, my hair as he murmured softly in my ear.

 

“You know it’s okay to cry sometimes,” he soothed. “If you were scared, you could’ve just backed out.”

 

I snuggled my face tighter into his chest, indulging in his warmth and sweet scent, not even bothering to think that if I had been in the right state of mind, I would’ve pushed him away harshly. He wrapped his strong arms around my torso, lifting me onto my feet effortlessly, brushing a strand of hair away from my face. I sniffled softly, wiping my eyes with my sleeve. “Thanks Krease.”

 

“No problem,” he replied cheerfully, extending his hand. “Glad to be here for my Milady.”

 

His dorkiness made me smile softly as I took his outstretched hand gratefully. 

 

A/N:

 

First true development in their relationship, so fluffy XD!!!! I’m so excited, these two poor children are FINALLY GETTING TOGETHER.

Ahem

Not yet though… AND OH MOTHER OF GOD I WAS ON TRENDING FICS TODAY. I couldn't have done it without you guys :)