The Hero

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

✻ chapter nine:
the hero
eun mi's pov
 
 

The sky was dark when I regained consciousness. I tried to sit up but moaned as pain shot through the leg I had injured in the hockey match. Half-laying half-sitting on the ground, I pat the ground with my hands to find my glasses.

"C.A.P. hyung, that was amazing freestyle rapping you did during the warm-ups!"
 
"You did well too, Ricky-ya."
 
Laughter followed and I froze. It was the Kingkas. Did they just finish practice?
 
"Let's practice one more time before the talent show tomorrow, okay?"
 
"Okay. See you later, Niel." 
 
"Bye, Chunji. Sleep well, L.Joe!"
 
I could hear the sound of rustling feet as they departed. I curled myself against the wall, hoping whoever that passed by wouldn't see me. No luck.
 
"Eun Mi! Is that you?"
 
L.Joe dropped his bag and ran over to me. "What happened?"
 
His eyes were filled with concern. "Uh... I tripped?" I said, sounding like a question.
 
He narrowed his eyes. "I'm not stupid, you know. Who did this to you?"
 
I didn't answer his question . "Um... I need my glasses. It's somewhere over here..."
 
L.Joe frantically looked around, found them, and slid them behind my ears. "Should I bring you to the doctor?"
 
My eyes widened. That was the last thing I wanted; to make a big deal out of nothing. "No, absolutely not."
 
"Then let's get you to my house. I don't live far from here."
 
I helped me up and guided me. I was in too much pain to be embarrassed about the skinship. 
 
"Wait, my camera."
 
He saw the pile of what was left of my camera. He quietly put the pieces into my bag along with my tattered notebooks. "Let's go." His house was a few blocks away but it was hidden by some trees. It was a really big and grand house. 
 
He led me into his home, which was really clean and full of expensive-looking things. Even the doorknobs shined. He
brought me to his room (A/N: Now now, don't get too excited, you crazy fangirls xD) and had me sit in a chair at his desk. He went to go get his first aid kit.
 
I looked around L.Joe's room. The walls were white and bare. The only thing he had on the walls was a picture of him with Teen Top. His bed was neatly made and his desk only had a few notebooks on it. I picked one up and read his neat handwriting; Lyrics. I opened it and scanned through the pages. It was the lyrics he wrote for his rap.
 
A slip of paper fell out and I picked it up. It was the picture of Seohyun, Chan Doo, the unknown boy, and me in front of the Love Locks at Namsan Tower. Why did he have this? I looked closer at the unknown boy and realized it was L.Joe when he still had black hair.  He came back and I quickly put it back into the notebook and set it down. 
 
"If you're wondering, there's nobody home but us." He said, opening the kit.
 
"Is it usually like this? You know, your parents working and never at home?" I asked.
 
He nodded. "Yeah... But I'm used to it. And whenever I get lonely, I go and hang out with Teen Top."
 
"Oh..." I said. 
 
He moved closer to me and traced my cheek with his fingers. "Red marks..."
 
I could tell I was blushing. His fingers were warm and his touch was gentle. He was so close... His eyes lingered with mine for a few seconds before he looked away and bent down to examine my scarred legs.
 
I let out the breath I was holding in. What did I think he was going to do? 
 
His blonde bangs covered his eyes so I couldn't tell what he was thinking. "The bruises and minor scars will go away soon. As for the cut with dried blood, I'll clean it and then you'll have to shower so it doesn't get infected."
 
"Shower?" 
 
He stood up and pointed to the bathroom that was connected to his room. "Yeah. You were pretty banged up when I found you. How long were you out there?"
 
I racked my brain for the answer. "Um... I think since school let out."
 
"That's about three hours! It's 7pm right now!" He helped me stand up. "There's a change of clothes in the bathroom. Apply this medicine after. Lock the door if you don't trust me and call my name if anything happens."
 
"Arasseo."
 
I decided not to lock the door, in case something happened. And somewhere in my heart I wanted to tell him I trusted him.
 
It has been way too long since I last had a long hot shower. It felt really good. I toweled myself off and gently rubbed on some of the medicine L.Joe had given me. It stung a bit but it didn't hurt that bad. I wrapped some bandages around my leg.
 
I picked up some clothes he had put out for me. It was a gray t-shirt and black sweatpants. It must have belonged to L.Joe because it was big on me. I noticed his scent was gentle and sweet. 
 
I exited the bathroom to see L.Joe sitting on his bed waiting for me. I sat down next to him and dried my hair with a towel. 
 
"Eun Mi.. Who did this to you?" He said, all of his focus on me. 
 
I didn't want to tell him because it would turn into a big mess. But I had to. "The Queenkas."
 
I noticed his hands balled into fists. "I swear, the next time they hurt you, it'll be the end for them."
 
"They told me to stay away from you. And Changjo." 
 
"The nerve of them." He scoffed. 
 
"But they're right. I don't belong with people like you."
 
"That's not true!" He told me. 
 
"Stop saying that. I know you're just being nice because you pity me. I am really pathetic." I lowered my gaze and saw my filthy bag on the floor. I picked it up. Inside were pieces of my beloved camera. 
 
A sob got caught in my throat. I had promised myself I would take care of Seohyun's camera. But now, this happened.
L.Joe put his hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry. I know how much it meant to you." 
 
This time, I let his hand stay on my shoulder. "Yeah..."
 
 
 
-- --
 
 
"Are you sure you're okay?" L.Joe asked me. He had walked me home and we were standing in front of my apartment. "I'll be fine."
 
I took off my shoes and took the bag of my dirty clothes and broken items from him. "Gommawo for helping me again."
 
He smiled and brushed a strand of hair out of my eyes. "No problem. Sleep well or else you won't do well in the talent show tomorrow."
 
I blushed and backed away an inch. "You too." I closed the door and watched him leave from the window. Why was L.Joe and Changjo the ones who found me when I was hurt? I didn't want to appear as a weakling to them.
 
I put my tattered bag under my bed. I didn't want to look at the remains of my best friend's camera. I climbed into bed and put on my iPod as loud as it could go. Nowadays, the only way I could fall asleep was while listening to music. 
 
I didn't even bother thinking about replying to Changjo on my blog... I wasn't in a good state to do so. 
 
I felt so abandoned. The Queenkas had a good reason for hating me. And why did L.Joe act that way? Changjo, too. I didn't belong with the Kingkas or in their league. All they felt for me was pity. I hated being pitied.
 
And for the first time ever since Seohyun left, I cried myself to sleep.